CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 17 of 26)

Oct 042013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to properly accelerate while driving at any speed. The accelerator pedal had to be depressed with great force to gain acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than five times for repairs. The dealer rebuilt the clutch and updated the software, but the vehicle jerked violently and produced a grinding noise when the gears were changed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Hubbard, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to properly accelerate while driving at any speed. The accelerator pedal had to be depressed with great force to gain acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than five times for repairs. The dealer rebuilt the transmission and clutch and updated the software, but the vehicle jerked violently and produced a grinding noise when the gears were changed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 15,109.

- Hubbard, OH, USA

May 142014

Focus

Going for transmission #2 see if this one can last more than 3 months. Last Ford I will buy should have kept my 2008 Taurus had one problem with it the whole time I owned it. What happens when my warranty runs out and every three months I have to have clutches changed.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Jun 262014

Focus 4-cyl

Cvt automatic transmission shutters, knocks, delays then accelerates. Difficult to predict when. Sometimes ok other times it hesitates upon acceleration. While turning left was almost hit by oncoming traffic due to the unpredictable shutter and delay. Ford dealer says transmission is normal and to expect that. There is no way this is safe.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Jun 012013

Focus 4-cyl

My car has had the steering fixed, the alternator replaced and the clutch fixed 5-6 times in 6 months. My transmission/clutch is still not repaired. Someone is going to die in this car and I can't afford to get rid of it so I am forced to put my life in danger every day. I have a lemon law attorney and Ford will still do nothing. I paid $1095 for an automatic transmission and I do not have an automatic transmission. Ford committed fraud with this sale.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Focus 4-cyl

Upon acceleration, from stop or moving, the vehicle shakes, jerks, and rattles violently. The transmission will grind and will hesitate to engage. Trying to pull out into moving traffic, I was almost in an accident multiple times due to the engine properly "revving up" but the transmission failing to either engage, late to engage, or missing the proper gear. On even slight inclines the vehicle will roll backwards quickly when moving foot from brake to accelerator. Taken to dealership who confirmed failure of clutch and seals but Ford does not have availability on parts. Multiple dealerships told me this problem is in every 2013 Focus, and reading online confirms thousands upon thousands of people with the same issue. This is clearly a safety issue and I'm now driving a car with a confirmed failure item that cannot be replaced. Dealerships also have told me "this problem will be present forever" or is "not fixable".

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Dec 112012

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle shudders when accelerating from a stop, and on several occasions while accelerating the transmission slips out of gear (dry type automatic transmission) and there is no control under power. I have to coast to the side of the road and turn off the car and restart it and hope that the transmission reengages.. this has happened on both the street and highway. On the highway I have to contend with the possible chance of being rear ended by a vehicle traveling much faster than one on the street. This has happened on a regular basis, and the dealer has yet to fix the problem. This problem has existed as long as I have owned the car.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Dec 102013

Focus 4-cyl

At 15,583 miles the transmission was shifting very hard and at random times changing gears. The dealer said the double clutch transmission had failed and I had to wait three weeks for the dealer to replace the transmission. They said they had so many cars ahead of me to just drive the car as the transmission had already failed and if it stranded me, they would tow the car in. Three weeks later the transmission was replaced and the condition was corrected. Now at 26,400 miles, during a very hot day, the car lunged when accelerating and then loss power during an acceleration from a stop. Multiple times the car following behind had to ┐┐panic stop┐Ł or would have rear ended my car. After about 40 miles of driving, the ┐┐check engine┐Ł light came on. The dealer looked at the car and said they could not work on the car for at least a week but read the error codes and turn off the check engine light. I was instructed to drive the car until next week as it was safe to drive. After experiencing this condition, no one would think this car is safe to drive. Then I was told that after they check out the car, if the transmission has failed again, it would take at least three weeks for them to get a new one and they would not be able to fix it any sooner as they have so many cars ahead of mine that need new transmissions. For the past few days, the ambient temperature has been much lower and the lunging has stopped. However, the transmission either shifts perfect or shifts hard and is again randomly changing gears. The idle is also becoming very rough and after a stop, stays at 1200 rpms and takes about 10 seconds to come down to what is normal about 700 RPM.

- Barrington, IL, USA

Apr 102013

Focus

Complained to service writer when I brought the car in with the stuttering problem when I start to drive. Was told that it is because Ford had redesigned a manual transmission to make it automatic to increase the gas mileage. Was told to bring it back if got worse. It has and much worse, now it not only shutters but it has a knocking sound. I noticed a black ring around the area where the two pieces are bolted together. I have to drive 24 miles to work each day on the interstate and have major concerns about being stranded on the side of road. I was told that Ford had got it's act together finally and decided to get the Focus SE. Worst mistake I made. Should have bought the Kia soul like I planned or the Chevy Cruze.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 242012

Focus 4-cyl

I have had my 2013 Ford Focus several times in the dealer, for transmission problems with their dual clutch transmission including excessive noise during acceleration, the gear shift around on the stop and go traffic even with 5 mph speed, hesitation when attempting to accelerate into traffic, and jerky acceleration, especially from 1st to 2nd gear. Every time they told me it is normal, and told me if the car isn't break down or with an engine light on, they can't do anything. I do not feel safe driving the vehicle anymore, especially in heavy traffic as I never know when it is going to fail to accelerate. Ford insists these issues are normal, and tell me I can wait until before my warranty expire to come back to fix (don't know what that mean?)

- New Castle , DE, USA

Jul 092013

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission slips and will not accelerate at a stop or slow speed will not properly go to the 1st gear speed tries to jerk and stop also rolls back on a small incline when stopped on a hill for a red light.must step on gas alot so I don't roll backwards when the light turns green. Very bad jerking when you try to accelerate into traffic on highway.I bought the car brand new have had this problem form the very first day.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jul 222014

Focus 4-cyl

My car has a very loud rattling noise when it shifts, took to dealer, flanders and patch in lebanon nh on 07/22/13 they looked at it, and said its the transmission, {some part} ? was told it was the nature of the beast, and I would have to live with it. Will very likely try my hardest to, tell every one not to buy this type of car, .

- Lebonon, NH, USA

Jan 132014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 1 mph, the transmission failed to shift into a higher gear and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was informed that the clutch failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 21,000. The VIN was not available.

- Ashland, MA, USA

Jul 212014

Focus

I have had my 2013 Ford Focus at the dealer three times now for transmission problems with their dual clutch transmission including excessive noise during acceleration, hesitation when attempting to accelerate into traffic, and jerky acceleration, especially from 1st to 2nd gear. They have replaced the clutch and reprogrammed the transmission but the problem has persisted - the noise and hesitation returned within a day of the repairs. I simply do not feel safe driving the vehicle, especially in heavy traffic as I never know when it is going to fail to accelerate. Ford insists these issues are normal, but I can't imagine a car that sounds like this and fails to shift when accelerating into traffic is "normal".

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 012013

Focus

Automatic transmission shutters, jerks, lunges, sometimes dangerously forward like someone "popped the clutch". questioned dealer at purchase and was told "break in". question dealer prior to 10K service was told "normal". at 10K service requested computer reprogramming and updates to transmission. Was given an "official Ford description" document of transmission basically told "normal". took car to different dealer for 20K service. Told them re: Shutter, jerking, and lunging forward. They found clutch oil leak. Replaced seals and clutch and reprogrammed computer. 2 weeks later car is worse then before. Same issues but worse and now a slight clanking/grinding sound at lower speeds during acceleration and hesitation. Will return for service again.

- Renton, WA, USA

May 012014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled several times and the engine light remained illuminated. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle shifted out of parked independently. The dealer advised it was normal for the vehicle to roll out of park on its own. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 36,000.

- Lamar, SC, USA

Jan 012014

Focus

Transmission is grinding car is shimming acts as if it wants to stall. I have had it to bert wolf 2 times this year and its still not fixed. Im afraid car will stall when turning in front of oncoming traffic.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Jul 112014

Focus 4-cyl

Took delivery of a 2yr old certified 2013 Ford Focus SE a week ago. When accelerating from a stop the car transition slips similar to a driver learning how to drive a manual transmission. When accelerating and turning a corner the car with studded and jump. I called the dealership who told me this was part of the dual clutch design of the car. Appreciate the other posts to validate the situation.

- Berkley, MI, USA

Jun 262013

Focus 4-cyl

Shortly after purchasing my brand new 2013 Ford Focus I noticed at acceleration from a stop that my transmission was "slipping" (shuddering, lurching into gear etc.). I contacted my salesman about the issue and he told me that my car was "just breaking in" and it would go away. This problem did not stop and eventually got worse to the point that I called my dealership's service department on my own to complain. I was told to bring my car in; they were going to use a "special" cleaning solution on the clutches in the transmission to fix the problem. If that did not work then they would replace the clutches altogether. Needless to say the clutches were replaced. This occurred at the end of June of this year (2014); here it is not even a month later and my car is having the same issue. Also during this time period my car will occasionally roll backwards on an incline.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Mar 012013

Focus 4-cyl

Approximately 1/4/-1/3 of the time, upon accelerating from a stop, the car will either shudder into gear with little acceleration, or will lurch into gear so badly that the car almost comes to a stop during acceleration. I have taken the car to my local dealer four times for this issue. The first time, they did a computer code reset, which worked for a couple of months then the issue came back. The second time they changed some seals, and that worked for a week or so before the problem recurred. The third and fourth times, I was essentially told that "this was normal" and there was nothing the dealer could/would do about it. After research, I see I am not the only driver with this problem, and it has caused me to question the safety of my vehicle, especially when needing to make a left-hand turn against traffic.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA