Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 8 of 25)

Aug 082015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The air bags and seat belt lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Focus 4-cyl

My Ford Focus is having transmission and stalling issues as reported many times before my 2013 Focus has had a recall and was to be correct, a year later it seems I am still having the same issue. At anytime while driving stop and go or just driving my car feels like it wants to fight to shift, causing the car to putter like motion and jerking motion, the car has stalled out on me before while driving 70 mph, as I feel this is a growing concern I want others to know that is not just your car. I do see many post with the same issue and its all 100% true as I love Ford and will never drive anther car I feel for my safety each and every day that I drive my car. My car has been in the shop a hand full of times. As my car is brand new and should not drive the way it feels.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 052015

As I was driving East on the long island expressway prior to exit 41S the cars notification lights kicked on several messages came up which included rear park assist, hill start assist as well as battery indicator, oil light, check engine light, etc. I attempted to push on the gas however nothing occurred I was coasting at 40 mph I signaled to get over into the right lane, I applied the brake however it also locked up and would not brake, I was almost rear ended/side swiped by several vehicles as I was unable to keep up with traffic and brake accordingly. I got to the right shoulder and hit the E-brake to stop. I turned off the vehicle and attempted to restart however the engine would not kick on and the gas pedal would not work.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Aug 032015

Focus 4-cyl

Ford Taurus. Consumer writes in regards to transmission warranty and issues. Consumer has another vehicle correspondence in artemis. The consumer stated he received a letter for his daughter's vehicle regarding a problem with transmission clutch shudder/transmission input shaft seal. The consumer stated the vehicle did not perform well on hills. After, waiting over 90 days for the parts to arrive, the vehicle was finally fixed. However, two months ago, the problem returned.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 222013

In August 2013 after owning car short time took to dealer and service manager drove it with us and said many people think there is an issue with shuddering and delayed acceleration but it's just the high performance transmission.. not to worry. The car continually got worse over time and we got a recall notice and took in in Oct 2014. They replaced the clutch and seals. May 5 the car got really back on long drive home from la. Overheated and then warning light came on. Turned car off and back on warning light went off and drove car home shuddering very bad and with extreme delayed acceleration. Had cars behind us on hills honking and almost rear ended us... took car in May 15 they said it wasn't safe to drive and they had it for 2 months to fix clutch, seals and adaptive learning sensor, replaced tcm, electronics. 8/8/15 while on freeway steering assist fault notification - service required. Pulled off and when I tried to start car again I couldn't move the steering column. Called nearby Ford dealer and they said you can't drive it - safety issue. It is currently in the shop again. Having this happen on a freeway is terrifying - cars honking at you, trying to steer off, etc. This is a danger and Ford needs to take care of it instead of continuing to do temp fixes!!!!!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Owned 2013 Ford Focus for 9 months when we noticed car was "shuddering" and "slipping " into gear when starting to accelerate. We were pulling onto a busy street and of course had to accelerate. It lugged and delayed shift into 2nd. This caused lower than expected acceleration and because we could not get up to speed in the time required almost got hit. Took it in for problem in 2/2014 and they said it was a transmission leak ( at only 5200 miles!). fixed leak and sent us home. The same problem became noticeable again. We took it 6 months later (8/2014). Mileage was 9247. They said a part of the clutch was broken now and replaced the clutch assembly. The 3rd repair was in 4/2015 where they reprogrammed the PCM-tcm and sent us home. It is currently back at Ford service so 7/2015 with 16000 miles with the same problem. They said Ford is constantly working on a new clutch to fix the problem. They will most likely replace it but "it is not guaranteed to work!" Ford did extend the warranties on the vehicle to 100K for power train. Which does is little good if we have to bring it in every 4-6 months! also we said we needed a rental for the time it was in the shop (we need a car!) and they said Ford just came up with the policy of 2 day rentals - only. It's been on the shop for 3 days already and we have to wait until the last 2 days of repair when we will "desperately " need the rental. Unbelievable. They said this is what Ford is "doing for us" in regards to this repair issue. Like we are supposed to take it and like it.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jun 192015

My 2013 Ford Focus has the 2.0 6 speed automatic, don't know if that is the problem. But when driving this car in warm to hot weather, this car will get you killed!!!!!!!! after driving around 10 miles and coming to a stop everything is fine. But when you get ready to accelerate from that stop the car will barely move. You can give it almost full throttle and there is no power. Once you finally get almost to the floor with the gas pedal it takes off like a bat out of hell. It actually will scare you for a second until you realize the car has taken off. This has also happened after taken off around a curb and then all of a sudden no gas pedal. There is nothing!! you can try to feather the gas pedal and there is no response, nothing at all and then all of a sudden it takes off! my wife and I have to travel to raleigh nc monthly, and that is the reason I bought this car because of its fuel mileage and for the room. After making one trip, I will never drive this car to a extremlly busy town again until it is fixed!!!! I have also told my daughter if we get killed in a auto accident, make sure you have a lawyer look into the accelerator pedal, and Ford Motor Co. Because they are at fault!! after getting home, I research a couple of Ford Focus forums this seems to be a major problem with these cars, and from what I have read I haven't seen any type of fix unless you buy a controller that plugs in between the accelerator pedal and the accellertor harness

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Jul 192015

Bought it brand new, had a slight jerking bunny-hop, leap, at acceleration dealer said it would adjust.. after 33000 miles dealer replaced transmission... now same is happening again with a added twist.. while driving on highway at 65 mph my Ford Focus has decided to downshift to a lower gear and causing the passengers to lurch forward and control becoming hazardous.. also include that while driving at highway speeds car tends to hesitate as if ignition is being turned off, if only for a second...

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Jan 032014

The vehicle shudders/vibrates when shifting. The transmission is an automatic but shifts like a stick. There would be times where the vehicle would feel like it was powering down when it would go between gears. Due to dealer service issues, it took more than a month to fix the issue. Now, in 7/22/2015, the transmission is once again shifting funny, bogging down, shuddering and my check engine light is on. There is an action service on the Focus transmission, but no parts are available for several months, and only three days of rental are being offered. Even with the extended service plan, I would only get 13 days. Concerned with the safety of driving the vehicle to work, which is 70 miles one way. No help offered, except an incentive to buy a new vehicle, which is not financially feasible at this time. Not sure how Ford expects people to live without transportation for several months while they try and figure it out.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Apr 022014

Since I purchased this vehicle I have had continuous problems with the transmission. The car has been disabled while driving twice. I have had the car in for service several times for software updates. The problem continues. The car shakes in the lower and higher gears. When I accelerate it hesitates creating a safety hazard. I have called customer service. She referred me to the dealer who in turn has told me there is nothing they can do. Customer service has stopped answering my calls since last fall (2014). The problem continues.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Focus 4-cyl

I have only 11,000 miles on my brand new car. I've been complaining about a weird grinding noise and a shuddering of my engine when going through first and second gear. I took it in twice to check (was charged) and was told there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. Finally, I took it in because the noise was so terrible- they said my clutch had failed their tests. I for months drove scared that the car would suddenly jolt forward and hit someone's car.....updated 11/05/15 the consumer stated while in traffic or going up hill slowly the transmission would overheat. The consumer would have to pull over and let the vehicle cool down for 8 minutes. Updated 1/8/2016

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 242015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at 5 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Louisville , KY, USA

Jul 152013

First started experiences transmission shuddering/hesitation shortly after purchasing the vehicle. Dealer reprogrammed tcm twice. Then, in October 2013, while attempting to get on the highway, the car locked into 1st gear, red-lined the RPM and would not accelerate over 25 mph. Attempts to put the car in neutral or the automatic shift mode were unsuccessful. Entered the freeway going 25 mph and almost got in a very severe accident. Was able to exit the freeway at the next exit where the car was shut off. After starting the car again it was able to shift out of 1st gear. Took it back to the dealer and they told me I needed a new clutch. After the new clutch was replaced the shuddering decreased but the car still hesitated. At about 40K miles, in February 2015, the shuddering/jerking worsened. This time the jerking was so violent that passengers in my car said they did not feel safe driving in it. The car would accelerate extremely slowly, even when pressing the pedal to the floor of the vehicle. Dealer reprogrammed the tcm again. This made the jerking worse. Dealer recorded a shuddering of over 500rpm. I was put on a waiting list for a new clutch (second one). Called Ford customer service where I asked for a rental car while the new clutch was on order (8-12 weeks). They told me the car was "within drive-able specs" despite the severe jerking and lack of acceleration and would not provide me alternate transportation. They also told me the car was "supposed to shudder" and it is a "different kind of transmission" that I "just don't understand." There have been numerous complaints about this vehicle and Ford can't seem to fix it. Instead of replacing the transmission they tell people that the issues are "normal." The 2013 Ford Focus needs to be recalled before someone is killed (if they haven't been already).

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

May 162014

Focus 4-cyl

Traveling on I-80 in New Jersey after slowing/braking due to heavy traffic ahead and slowing to about 40 mph, the vehicle for about three minutes would not accelerate to highway speed of 65 mph. Vehicle was service at Ford dealer requiring the replacement of clutch and software reinstall. Similar incident occurred a year later June 24, 2015 while traveling on I-77. Was driving at about 70 mph and had to slow down due to police action on the right side of the road. After slowing to about 50 mph the vehicle would not accelerate or was very slow to accelerate to highway speed. Scheduled a service check with Ford for July 8, 2015. But the technician "could not verity concern." Note the vehicle was taken to Ford for other transmission issues November 4, 2014 and June 13, 2015: Grinding, rumbling noise from transmission area, jumping/stuttering forward when accelerating from stopped position and tendency for transmission to slow vehicle when traveling under 30 mph. Transmission/ software issues. The clutch was replaced for the November service date and only software was installed on the June 13, 2015 service date. Updated 09/09/15

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Jun 022014

June 2014 - pulled off the main highway onto a side road. Accelerating from a stop sign, the car started to shutter severely between the 1-2 shift but continued to run normal once up to speed. When I got home, I took the car to the Ford service department. They had to replace the clutch pack in the automatic transmission and reprogram the tcm at 22,700 miles. October 2014 - car started shuttering again during 1-2 shift and had a rattle sound coming from under the car. Took the car to dealer and they had to reprogram the tcm again. April 2015 - returned to the dealer because the shutter was getting worse. They reprogrammed tcm again. June 2015 - car shuttered severely and hesitated as I pulled out of a parking lot onto the road, almost causing me to get rear-ended. It finally shifted and we were able to get the car to the dealer. They said the PCM had to be reprogrammed as well as the tcm again, but they could not detect any shutter. July 1, 2015 - car shuttered from take-off at a stop sign, then hesitated before shifting. Took the car to the dealer and they said no shutter was detected but they reprogrammed the tcm again to relearn how we drive. July 11, 2015 - 39,000 miles. Turning left on to a road from a stop sign, the car shuttered, hesitated and jerked but would not shift into the next gear. It did show the engine service light then. I pulled to the side of the road to keep from getting rear-ended. Called the dealer and was told to try and get the car to them. I managed to get the car turned around, headed to the dealer. The car shuttered then hesitated again before shifting. It was only shifting from 1st to 3rd then to 5th. At the dealer, I had the service writer drive the car with me in it and it shifted normal, but the code was still there. He said shutting off the engine may have reset the fault. This needs recalled before injuries happen. Recall now!

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Jun 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not accelerate without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000.

- Black Mountain, NC, USA

Sep 102013

I have had issues since the car was one year old. The issue that has just happened on Thursday 2nd of July. I had just come off the high way and was heading home and the car just stopped driving! now they are saying it is the tcm (all part of the transmission/shift gear). I have had the shift gears replaced two times and computer updates two times. Now this is very serious, if I was still on the high way I could have been killed. I have asked on more than one occasion to have the car bought back and have been told no! I am afraid to drive this car, and with the problems I am having a huge problem trading it in, I would be underneath by 7,000. Please help!!!!

- Westboro, MA, USA

May 032014

Bought the vehicle used with about 15,000 miles on it in the spring of 2014. Didn't notice during initial test drive but after a couple days of driving found the transmission shudders and makes a loud grinding noise but only when starting out from a stop. Took to local dealer on 7/16/2014 and they did a re flash they said should correct the problem. It was ok for a day or two but then the transmission started shuddering and grinding from stops again only now it continued to shudder even after it shifted into 3rd gear, before the re flash it only shuddered when shifting from 1st into 2nd gear and then it was fine. On 8/05/2014 I took it back to the dealer again. They tested it and said that even though they do feel the shudder I am still complaining about it still falls within Ford guidelines and is considered normal, the service writer told me it will have to get so bad that the dash just about shakes itself loose before Ford will do anything about it, like replace the clutches. On that visit they did not generate a repair order or give me a receipt probably because they didn't do anything. On 6/24/2015 I took the vehicle back to the same dealer again with the same complaint only this time I also told them that besides the shudder the vehicle will now actually bog down and stop moving right in the middle of an intersection for a second or two at times while its shuddering. Once again they said there was another newer re flash available that may help the problem so they performed it. Again it seemed to shift good for one day but after that it started shuddering and grinding all over again on start out from stops just as before only now it continues to shudder in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears all the way up to hwy speeds and continues to grind all the while. This condition is not safe, Ford knows it and needs to do something about it asap before someone is killed.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Sep 192014

My vehicle failed to shift and had erratic lunging as well as loss of propulsion. It spent more than 3 months at the dealer in total and now the same problems are coming back. I have taken it in to be fixed more than 7 times and now will need to take it in again. The problems started around 20K miles and have continued since. The problem nearly caused an accident when the transmission failed to shift and stayed in neutral. Please help.

- Ware Shoals, SC, USA

Apr 222015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at an unknown speed, the power train failed without warning. The vehicle switched from drive to neutral. The contact stated the failure occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The vehicle was diagnosed for a failed transmission clutch and tcm module. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Vinita, OK, USA