Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Nov 262015

The car just stopped in the middle of the road. It did not start again. I had to be towed. The car was in motion and it just stalled and did not start up again. It was on a busy street. Thought maybe it was the transmission slipping, it was very scary as there were a lot of cars on the road since I teas thanksgiving day.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 212015

Car violently stutters and shakes on acceleration from a stop or at low speeds. No acceleration when going up a hill. Car was serviced, but the problem wasn't fixed. Parts are on back order. While driving the car died and a light saying there was a transmission failure came on. The entire tcm was replaced after towing into the dealer. Shaking only got worse. Now the rpms will jump at highway speeds even in cruise control. Parts still on back order. Ford says that this is "normal" for this car and there is no real fix. The only fix is to constantly have it serviced but even that doesn't fix the problem.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 192015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Ethridge, TN, USA

Nov 102015

On 10 Nov 15 at 0900hrs I picked up my 2013 Ford Focus after the replacement of an ignition coil/spark plug and the reprogramming of my transmission control module (Ford recall 15B22). At 0930hrs while driving North on hwy 295 at about 40 mph on a straight portion of the highway, all my warning lights turned on and I lost engine power. The vehicle also felt as if it shifted into neutral. I had to use emergency driving procedures to pull onto the shoulder. I attempted to restart the vehicle but the starter did not even attempt to turn over. I called for a wrecker and had the vehicle towed back to the dealership for corrective action. I have not experienced am engine or transmission failure like this in the past. I believe that it may be due to the reprogramming of the transmission control module. It should be noted that the Ford Focus in question is a Canadian version, with 62000km/38000miles to date. I felt compelled to report this incident as it required me to use emergency driving techniques to bring the vehicle to a safe stop (although the brakes continued to function). Had I not been trained in those techniques the likelihood of a collision with another vehicle at high speeds would have been likely.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 192015

Since I bought my car new in 2013, it has had a persistent transmission shudder that is dangerous, and Ford tries to stick band-aids on the problem with software updates and even a replacement clutch -- none of which fix the problem. This problem causes the car to shudder violently when accelerating from a stop or nearly any time the transmission changes gears. It has happened since I purchased the car. It makes it scary to drive when the car responds unpredictably -- lurching forward toward another car or not accelerating when getting on a highway. Ford should have to recall all cars with this faulty transmission. I've had it serviced under warranty 3 times for this issue and Ford cannot fix it. The us government must protect people from companies like Ford who put profits ahead of safety.

- Natick, MA, USA

Sep 242014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle began to shake violently. In addition, the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate without restarting the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Sep 012015

I have had my car in a Ford dealership to be repaired five times. Two involving recalls on my transmission, due to shuttering and hesitation to shift while driving. I believe this vehicle is highly unsafe since I never know if my car will be able to accelerate properly while changing lanes. This happens mainly in the city streets when being in first or second gear.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 15 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the engine stalled without warning. After three attempts, the vehicle restarted. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 042013

The car makes horrible noises when in low a low speed. It hesitates. It makes horrible crunching noises. It has been to the dealer many times. They always say that they hear it, but that it is not a problem. The vehicle has stopped in the middle of the road. Now, in September 2015, I have received a software update program 15B22 which is extending my warranty. Ford already agreed to extend my warranty in 2013 because of my complaints. However, that documentation does not show up in the Ford oasis system, but Mr. Ford's office assures me that if I show them the letter, it will honored. I have all of the back up material from 2013 including phone logs. I believe this is a safety hazard that can only be corrected with replacing the entire transmission at no cost to the customer. I am very afraid the vehicle will stall in the middle of rushing traffic. It has stalled in the middle of the road already. I made Mr. Ford's office aware of this, also. I would never pass this car onto my child or a relative, and I will feel guilty when I am able to finally trade it in an buy a new vehicle. The car should not be on the road.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Sep 182015

The vehicle has stalled multiple times. It has happens when the clutch is depressed. The rpms drop down below 500 and sometimes the engine stalls. Sometimes the engine will just waiver at low rpms and regain idle.the car has also stalled at high speed on the freeway, with traffic backed up, I depressed the clutch, and the engine stalled.

- Royal Oak , MI, USA

Sep 032015

Driving on I80 West bound and my rpms shot up to 5,000/6,000. I proceeded to take my foot off the gas to let the transmission catch, however, when I put my foot back on the gas my rpms shot up again. My transmission had completely died. I had no ability to move forward. I managed to make it to the right hand shoulder from the left lane. I shut my car off once I reached the shoulder to see if that would help the problem. When I tried to start my car it would not turn on. I had dashboard lights but the car would not start. My car was still saying it was in drive when it was in park. My car ended up being towed to Ford and they told me I needed a new transmission control module and that they have had several focuses come in with this problem in the last two to three weeks, so they are now keeping this part stocked. This could have been a very dangerous situation given that I80 is a very busy expressway and my car died while I was driving it.

- Elwood, IL, USA

Sep 012015

I was in heavy traffic, stop and start, and when I re-accelerated after going very slowly the car did not go and then it just died. I turned car off, got it started within 200 yards it died again. I once again turned car off, restarted it and was able to pull off the road. In the meantime, people behind me were honking wildly. Luckily, no one rear ended me. I was able to get car to my mechanic who told me the Ford people needed to look at it. This morning the car was towed as it now does not even turn on. Ford people said they had no idea what it could be. If I had been on a highway in stop and go traffic like that I might have been seriously hurt. Ford seems to be unaware of any problems. I think this is something they should investigate.

- Westport, CT, USA

Aug 192015

Last night I hit a deer going 70 miles per hr. On the highway. My leg airbags deployed but my steering wheel did not only the clips came out. Due to knee airbags I have huge bruises on both legs. I feel that the steering wheel has a defective airbag since it did not deploy. If I had hit a tree instead of a deer its possible I would not be here to file this it did not protect me at all.

- South Ryegate, VT, USA

Aug 132015

Bought this vehicle used with 34,869 miles on July 8, 2015. After having for about a week, noticed shaking, grinding noises, seems to be "missing" in the transmission. Took to dealer on 7/21/2015 and the reprogrammed the tcm. Vehicle still made same issues so I took to a different Ford dealer 7/27/2015 and they did the same thing. On 8/13/15 the vehicle would not start. Roadside assistance came out and jumped the vehicle to start and "faulty transmission failure" appeared on the dash screen. I attempted to take the car to the dealer but the vehicle would not go into reverse or drive. Called tow truck to take to Ford dealer that same day. The next day they claimed it needed a new transmission control module. As of today, 8/19/2015 - the car is still not fixed and is still in their shop.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Focus 4-cyl

My Ford Focus is having transmission and stalling issues as reported many times before my 2013 Focus has had a recall and was to be correct, a year later it seems I am still having the same issue. At anytime while driving stop and go or just driving my car feels like it wants to fight to shift, causing the car to putter like motion and jerking motion, the car has stalled out on me before while driving 70 mph, as I feel this is a growing concern I want others to know that is not just your car. I do see many post with the same issue and its all 100% true as I love Ford and will never drive anther car I feel for my safety each and every day that I drive my car. My car has been in the shop a hand full of times. As my car is brand new and should not drive the way it feels.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 222013

In August 2013 after owning car short time took to dealer and service manager drove it with us and said many people think there is an issue with shuddering and delayed acceleration but it's just the high performance transmission.. not to worry. The car continually got worse over time and we got a recall notice and took in in Oct 2014. They replaced the clutch and seals. May 5 the car got really back on long drive home from la. Overheated and then warning light came on. Turned car off and back on warning light went off and drove car home shuddering very bad and with extreme delayed acceleration. Had cars behind us on hills honking and almost rear ended us... took car in May 15 they said it wasn't safe to drive and they had it for 2 months to fix clutch, seals and adaptive learning sensor, replaced tcm, electronics. 8/8/15 while on freeway steering assist fault notification - service required. Pulled off and when I tried to start car again I couldn't move the steering column. Called nearby Ford dealer and they said you can't drive it - safety issue. It is currently in the shop again. Having this happen on a freeway is terrifying - cars honking at you, trying to steer off, etc. This is a danger and Ford needs to take care of it instead of continuing to do temp fixes!!!!!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While stopped momentarily, the vehicle hesitated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500. Updated 12/01/15

- Acme, PA, USA

Jul 212015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated and stalled without warning. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 66,800.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Jun 192015

My car stalled going down the road at approximately 35 mph upon attempting to accelerate the vehicle revved to the red limit, and would not go into gear. I was thankfully able to pull to the side of the road and get myself and my child to safety by rolling in neutral. Ford Motor Company has had thousands of complaints about the transmissions in these cars stalling or completely malfunctioning while driving yet there has not been a recall on them. My infant was in the car! had I been entering a highway or something the results would have been terrible. All the company will do is extend the warranty to 100,000 miles and then we as consumers are screwed. Basically they "fix" it until the warranty is up. This is not acceptable or safe in any way.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Oct 032014

My car shuddered and received recall letter to have clutch replaced work completed 10/3/14. May 23,2015 had 22,500 service completed car had 19,795 miles at this service June 8, 2015 service for check engine light on June 16,2015 transmission failure light came on returned to dealer awaiting outcome!! this car should be protected under lemon law.. very unsafe and Ford is responsible. Please demand that Ford return money's paid & pay my loan off. How many people have to die before this issue is resolved?

- Philadelphia, PA, USA