CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Aug 012014

Focus 4-cyl

My Ford Focus is having transmission and stalling issues as reported many times before my 2013 Focus has had a recall and was to be correct, a year later it seems I am still having the same issue. At anytime while driving stop and go or just driving my car feels like it wants to fight to shift, causing the car to putter like motion and jerking motion, the car has stalled out on me before while driving 70 mph, as I feel this is a growing concern I want others to know that is not just your car. I do see many post with the same issue and its all 100% true as I love Ford and will never drive anther car I feel for my safety each and every day that I drive my car. My car has been in the shop a hand full of times. As my car is brand new and should not drive the way it feels.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 222013

Focus

In August 2013 after owning car short time took to dealer and service manager drove it with us and said many people think there is an issue with shuddering and delayed acceleration but it's just the high performance transmission.. not to worry. The car continually got worse over time and we got a recall notice and took in in Oct 2014. They replaced the clutch and seals. May 5 the car got really back on long drive home from la. Overheated and then warning light came on. Turned car off and back on warning light went off and drove car home shuddering very bad and with extreme delayed acceleration. Had cars behind us on hills honking and almost rear ended us... took car in May 15 they said it wasn't safe to drive and they had it for 2 months to fix clutch, seals and adaptive learning sensor, replaced tcm, electronics. 8/8/15 while on freeway steering assist fault notification - service required. Pulled off and when I tried to start car again I couldn't move the steering column. Called nearby Ford dealer and they said you can't drive it - safety issue. It is currently in the shop again. Having this happen on a freeway is terrifying - cars honking at you, trying to steer off, etc. This is a danger and Ford needs to take care of it instead of continuing to do temp fixes!!!!!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While stopped momentarily, the vehicle hesitated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500. Updated 12/01/15

- Acme, PA, USA

Jul 212015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated and stalled without warning. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 66,800.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Jun 192015

Focus

My car stalled going down the road at approximately 35 mph upon attempting to accelerate the vehicle revved to the red limit, and would not go into gear. I was thankfully able to pull to the side of the road and get myself and my child to safety by rolling in neutral. Ford Motor Company has had thousands of complaints about the transmissions in these cars stalling or completely malfunctioning while driving yet there has not been a recall on them. My infant was in the car! had I been entering a highway or something the results would have been terrible. All the company will do is extend the warranty to 100,000 miles and then we as consumers are screwed. Basically they "fix" it until the warranty is up. This is not acceptable or safe in any way.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Oct 032014

Focus

My car shuddered and received recall letter to have clutch replaced work completed 10/3/14. May 23,2015 had 22,500 service completed car had 19,795 miles at this service June 8, 2015 service for check engine light on June 16,2015 transmission failure light came on returned to dealer awaiting outcome!! this car should be protected under lemon law.. very unsafe and Ford is responsible. Please demand that Ford return money's paid & pay my loan off. How many people have to die before this issue is resolved?

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Focus

The vehicle has been very sluggish since day one of the lease. The transmission does not seem to engage accordingly. Upon acceleration the vehicle hesitates and/or sputters, lurching forward and then hesitating again. I have had the vehicle in for service by an authorized Ford dealer a few months ago but the problems still remain. I plan on taking the vehicle in again since it continues to display the same issues it has since the day we began our lease.

- Dexter, MI, USA

Oct 312014

Focus

Car's transmission shutters and jolts. Hesitates to accelerate. Dangerous when merging onto highway or making a turn. Sent it to Ford to fix as per their fsa on the transmission seal. Both dealerships said there was nothing wrong with it, but it still hesitates, shutters, shakes and jolts. This is a safety concern. It needs to be brought up to Ford.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Feb 202013

Focus

The car will nearly stall (as if transmission slipped/disengaged), engine sputters, transmission grinds and jerks then gears catch and car lurches forwards and speeds off as if it is possessed. This is very dangerous when attempting to enter moving traffic and especially dangerous when crossing multiple lanes of traffic or if the driver is less experienced or isn't aware that he/she needs to accommodate it. The more miles accumulated, the worse and more pronounced the issue. Ford "reprogrammed" my transmission July 2013 (11,000 miles) with no results. Ford's response, "shudder" is normal and the intentional design of the car. The issue worsened to the point the transmission would disengage while climbing hills ( worse on moderate to steep grades) and reliability of this car deteriorated to the point I was rolling backwards down a hill I had attempted to climb at 50-55mph because the car just stops moving forward then the car will grind, bang shake, jerk then lurch forward and speed off like it finally got gas and found the gears (May 1,2015). October 22, 2014, I took the vehicle in for an oil change, with the Ford letter in hand and asked them to check my car again. Parts were ordered and it was safe to drive until then but, if I was left stranded to call roadside assistance. Ford is stalling progress & repair of this issue because they intend to avoid lemon law. My complaints went undocumented on service request paperwork because "shudder is normal/intentional operation" and subsequent complaints were ignored/undocumented because there were no parts to repair it. Resale & trade-in value is low, depreciate at a faster rate and are generally unsafe. Ford needs held accountable, remedy the issue in a timely manner to minimize loss, investment and potential danger to those who unfortunately purchased this defective product. This car is unreliable & dangerous!

- Newton, WV, USA

May 102015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle started to shutter when accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who reprogrammed the PCM. A few weeks after the repair, the check engine and the PCM warning lights illuminated. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 172015

Focus 4-cyl

My vehicle downshifted from approx 60 mph- 20mph immediately and unexpectedly in rush hour traffics. I temporarily lost control of the car and if I had not been able to get it back under control and almost ran off the side of the road rt. 7 traveling North towards winchester and almost was hit by a tractor trailer in the right lane it lurched. I decided to turn off N aback road to see if this was just a, fluke and it seemed to do its and off, but not as roughly, revving up and down and shifting up and down, then wa fine until I turned onto rt.81 North towards inwood, wv. The vehicle continued to have was seems to be continuous revving and shifting problems, I drive it home and had my best friend follow me slowly to the parsons Ford dealership to be looked at. There is a transmission/computer programming issue that Ford is aware of. I had this issue in the first 1000 miles that occurred once in front of my house on bac creek valley drive, upon parking the vehicle, turning it off and restarting the problem disappeared. I commented on it during the 30,000 mile maintenance and chalks it up to a glitch during the normal break-in period of the vehicle. The last incident almost resulted in a potentially fatal condition, here I almost caused an accident with an 18-wheeler and other vehicles. I do not want my wife to drive this vehicle and feel it is unsafe and should be immediately recalled before anyone gets killed as a result. Based on a research Ford has upgraded the transmissions in the 2015 line of the Ford Focus line, and should replace the vehicles.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Apr 152015

Focus 4-cyl

Driving on the highway the car is non stop bugging down like someone grabs the car and pulls it back. Then when I try to take off the car drops to almost zero rpms and dies in the middle of the road for 3mins and then start but acts like it has zero power and jumps back and forth trying to go. Very dangerous I think!

- El Paso , TX, USA

Feb 182015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled and the check transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000. Updated 6/11/15

- Iron Belt, WI, USA

Feb 142015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle jerked and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the input shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Dunn, NC, USA

Sep 102013

Focus

Pulling from red lights/stop signs is very dangerous due to the transmission stalling, shuttering, grinding. Very easily to get into accidents because stalling in transmission. Please recall this vehicle a lot of families are not safe in this vehicle.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Focus 4-cyl

For the 3rd time in a 3 month span, my 2013 Ford Focus SE stalled while driving. Vehicle would not restart for approximately 20 minutes. This created an unsafe situation where I was stuck with a disabled vehicle. 1st failure instance occurred when I was coming to a stop at a traffic light 2nd failure instance occurred while driving at highway speeds (65mph) 3rd failure instance occurred while just after entering a highway at approx 45mph.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 012015

Focus

For a number of months the vehicle transmission shudders, lags, and acts intermittently lurching. Very dangerous. When applying gas, one never knows if the vehicle will go forward smoothly, or instead lurch or shudder potentially causing to be rear-ended by someone or hit because the vehicle doesn't accelerate to queue. All accompanied by a loud grinding sound. A piece of junk!

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Feb 132015

Focus 4-cyl

2013 Ford Focus was going 35 mph, saw a late 1990's Ford Ranger stop short in front of a fire station and tried to brake. Couldn't stop in time and rear ended the Ford Ranger. The driver of the Focus got out of the vehicle and to speak to the other driver and the engine of the Focus caught fire about 30 seconds later. Firemen were across the street and came over to extinguish the fire. With all of this, the airbags did not deploy. I called Ford to alert them of this issue. They gave me a case number and within 1 business day I was contacted by customer care. They said they would inspect the vehicle to at a local dealership to find out why the airbags didn't deploy. They said they would not cover the cost and were vague about what the next steps were and how long the process would take. When I tried to inquire further, they said they wanted to know what my intentions were. I mentioned were are not trying to shakedown and sue Ford, we simply want answers.the insurance company, state farm, totaled the Focus and they are working with me to give Ford the vehicle, but Ford is not cooperating. I haven't been in contact with someone since the original follow-up and we have questions that need to be answered in order for state farm to give Ford possession of the vehicle. Ford has stopped cooperated and they have been impossible. This is a safety issue that we are trying to address and Ford is dragging this process out as long as they can.

- Playa Del Rey, CA, USA

Mar 122013

Focus 4-cyl

This vehicle has been deemed a "lemon" pursuant to Colorado BBB auto complaint. The clutch has been replaced twice but the vehicle continues to shudder, lag, or intermittently lurch forward. It is a hazard to drive.

- Greenwood Village , CO, USA

Sep 242014

Focus 4-cyl

Anytime while driving this vehicle you will experience grinding, shuttering and hesitation usually at lower traffic speeds, which is sometimes unsafe while merging into traffic because of the hesitation.

- Belle Vernon, PA, USA