CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Jun 262014

Focus

My Ford Focus shudders when accelerating and lurch forward without warning when I'm slowing down or accelerating. I have had it repaired once and need to go back again. How many times do I have to go without a car because the dealership once again has my car in for repairs due to a manufacturer transmission defect. Also, what premature internal wear is this all causing" will I need to replace parts before they would normally need replacing or fixing"! I'm worried the car will breakdown or there will be a crash where someone gets seriously hurt. It has been brought to my attention that Ford knew about the defect and concealed the information and there are numerous law suits out there for this particular issue. I really don't feel safe driving the car anymore. I can't remember the specific date of the first incident but I can find out from the dealership if necessary.

- Ofallon, IL, USA

Dec 272012

Focus

My vehicle shudders between first and second gears when accelerating from stopped or low speeds. It jolts randomly when driving in lower speeds. There are sounds of grinding and rattling when coming out of turns/accelerating out of a turn.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 042013

Focus

I have noticed that my car shifts awkwardly and makes a grinding noise when shifting into second and sometimes third gear. Sometimes the car will bog down and then get a surge of power and level off. Sometimes I will start going and between first and second gear it will bog and cause me to jerk forward. Some days it won't do it but most of the time it does.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Nov 232014

Focus

Car went from 60 mph to 40mph to 20mph to zero and stalled and died in less than ten seconds while driving on the interstate North of atlanta, ga on Nov 23, 2014. Car came to complete halt when I tried to push the gas pedal and accelerate. I almost died. Car has been in the repair shop at Ford dealership for over 23 days now.

- Rex, GA, USA

Aug 282014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle stalled. Additionally, the check engine, the battery, and the oil warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- South Range , WI, USA

Oct 012012

Focus 4-cyl

When vehicle is stopped and at idle such as at a red light, the engine shakes and when the accelerator pedal is depressed the car hesitates and does not want to move and feels like the vehicle will stall. Once speed is up to about 10-15mph acceleration is fine with no vibration or shakes. This issue can be very serious when trying to pull out into traffic. Took to the dealership and was told nothing was wrong. Something is wrong and is unsafe.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jul 092014

Focus

I was driving home from work, it was raining, as I pulled off the light, the car began sputtering and would not go over 10 mph. I merged to the shoulder and the dashboard lit up with critical engine fault, and a few others, the car stalled and I sat there for about 30 mins. I managed to get home that day and after sitting for 24 hours, it ran fine again.this morning (Dec.9th2014) raining again, I pulled into my parking lot and the car began sputtering and when I placed it in park, another critical engine fault appeared, I have read about 100 other cases describing the same situation.

- Saint Leonard, MD, USA

Oct 012014

Focus 4-cyl

A few days after I purchased this vehicle, I went back to the dealer and told them it was stuttering on take off. I was told "this is normal, the car was getting use to a different driver, to save on gas, and that it should get better the longer I drove it". it did not got better, but worse. Brought it in and they said that it needed an update, so they hooked up to computer and updated it. Still did not fix the problem. Next time I took it in they told me it was the duel transmission, and it was normal for it to shutter. It is now in the shop having clutches replaced and seals replaced. The service manager told me that even after this was done it would still have a shutter, just not so bad. I tried to trade the vehicle in, but I'm going to lose around $5000, in one months time. Thus vehicle should never have been sold to me, I feel that I was lied to and deceived. The service manger at Ford told me that this is a well known problem this car, but the assistant sales manager is telling me that it is not a "quality" issue. Who would buy a practically new car to only be in the shop three times in 2 months and still not have a save or smooth ride? no one would!!!!

- Bath, ME, USA

Sep 152014

Focus 4-cyl

Grinding/rattling noise and heavy shuddering/shaking/lurching occurs at low speeds. Not normal sounds. I drove manual vehicles for over 15 years and never experienced this occurrence, with the exception of first learning how to drive a manual. It is currently in the shop for a recall (that this site doesn't note, for some reason, but Ford does find). I have never once (2 months time) gotten over 31 mpg either. This was purchased as a commuter vehicle, and for it to rarely get 30 mpg is sad, considering my driving an 8 year old, 175K mile corolla meant getting upwards of 34 mpg consistently. Have made 2 payments on the car and wishing I had never bought it.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Nov 112014

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle transmission has been making a grinding noise ever since we bought the car. The grinding noise occurs at low speeds as one accelerates from zero mph. I have taken the car to the dealer only to be told it is normal. The noise doesn't sound normal and this issue has been documented by many other Ford Focus owners. The noise appears to only get worse with time. This noise cant be "normal." Please advise what is being done about this anomaly.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Oct 012013

Focus 4-cyl

Similar to many posts: Consistent shuddering when accelerating from a stop; especially if there is any kind of incline. This is a daily occurrence.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 052014

Focus 4-cyl

I have received a recall (customer satisfaction program 14M01), yet when I call my dealership's (blue bonnet Ford in new braunfels, Texas) service department, they say, oh a customer sat--well, you have to talk to this line and they transfer me to an unattended number where I leave a message and never receive a callback. If this company doesn't honor their recalls, they should be fined big time! meanwhile I am stuck with a defective car that no one will fix.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Focus 4-cyl

There is an obvious transmission problem with the vehicle. When going from 1st to 2nd gear from a stop it shudders and nearly stalls. This is a constant every day issue. I bought the car new, I have brought it to the dealership twice and was told that because there is no official recall Ford is not allowing the dealerships to fix the problem even thought there are aware of the problem across the board with the 2013 model of the Focus and the fiesta. I was basically told that with an official recall the car would have to stall out on the road or be the cause of an accident in order for the issue to be fixed.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 232014

Focus 4-cyl

When I first got the car in September 2013, the car would jerk and shake when pulling off from a stop and was also very loud. I took it to be serviced and they told me that was normal. I took it back a few months later because I didn't believe that was normal. They fixed it. But now it's starting to shake again. In June 2014 the engine light started coming O for a few days. I took it to Ford and they claim they fixed the problem. The light came back on in July, they claimed there was nothing wrong with it. The light was back on in September, they claimed yet again, nothing was wrong with it. I took it took a small transmission shop, they read my codes and immediately found a problem, claiming it was a transmission issue. A few days later, the light was back on. Each time the engine light comes on, it would stall and immediately slow down right in the middle of traffic. Each time Ford claimed nothing was wrong with the vehicle, the engine light would be on for two days. Each time I took my vehicle to Ford, they would keep it 2-5 days... I couldn't get a rental car half of the time because they wouldn't actually do their job until the last day and then tell me that nothing's wrong with my car. We all know, your warranty company needs to know the problem before authorizing a rental vehicle. This last time in October, they claim to have fixed it. They claim that a sensor had to be replaced. I will never buy another Ford vehicle. I cannot wait to get rid of this car! my car is still shaky. It makes a kind of loud noise now as well.

- Sumter , SC, USA

Apr 302014

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle bucked or shuddered when starting from a complete stop or if coasting and then gas applied. Issue was said to be fixed at this time 4/30/14, which it did run better until it happened again on 9/6/14 when I pointed out the same issue. It was determined that there was a leak coming from the bell housing and it was dripping on the clutch causing the shuddering. On 9/16/14 it was taken to the garage for repair. I am still experiencing some shuddering, especially in reverse when going slow but also at times going forward. Not satisfied that it is completely fixed, but Ford has extended the warranty to 7 years/ 100,000 miles. I will be contacting the garage in the near future for them to look at it again.

- Roaring Brook Township, PA, USA

Aug 282014

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicle hesitates and vibrates; a noise in the transmission; and the transmission not shifting properly. It does not accelerate and almost has caused multiple accidents.

- South Fulton, TN, USA

Oct 012014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving slow speeds, the vehicle sputtered and jerked. The contact experienced a sudden increase in the engine rpms while trying to pass another vehicle followed by the vehicle stalling. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Nov 192012

Focus

Like most of the complaints on this vehicle my Focus hesitates and stutters. There was also a fluttering noise in the front end while the car was off that happened right away after purchasing. I took back to the dealership a week later and was told that the noise was normal and that the stuttering was due to the smaller engine. Finally took the car back in because it was getting worse, and this time the throttle body was reprogrammed (which I was originally told was completely replaced, but wasn't the case) come to find out this a common issue in Ford vehicles but no recall issued, just part of the NHTSA customer satisfaction program. Many of the models in this program were issued a extended warranty, but not the Focus. I was informed by the dealership I will be financially responsible for a new throttle body if it starts again once my warranty is up. Not sure why this is okay to continue with new Ford models when it was first addressed in 2012, and why I'm responsible to pay to fix a problem that is the makers error of which they have been made aware of.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 162014

Focus 4-cyl

Just like 100S of others, car stutters and hesitates. Took to Ford dealer in macon, ga. And problem continues and we all wonder why there is no recall. Does no one care about safety and doing what is right"??????????????????"

- Perry, GA, USA

Sep 122014

Focus 4-cyl

I've reported this issue several times. It is going to cause an accident!! when stopped at a stop light, or stop sign, the car wants to keep moving, even though heavy brake pressure is being applied. When I am at a stop light and the light turns green to move forward, the car hesitates to move, causing the vehicles behind me to blow their horn! there is nothing I can do!! this car is going to cause myself or other owners an accident with no doubt in my mind! the hesitation to take off when I'm wanting to get out of the way of oncoming traffic, scares me to death!!! something needs to be done before an innocent life or lives are lost!!!

- Breezewood, PA, USA