Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Jul 232014

I was stopped in line at a light. When the light changed I pushed on the gas and the car would not move- it sounded like the engine was stuck in neutral. I shut the car off and restarted it and that's when the check engine light came on. I was almost rear-ended several times as the car would not move. I had it towed to the dealer only to be told that they didn't know what was wrong-after two days I was told it was due to an update that needed to be done to the engine software and that it was not covered under either the basic warranty or the extended warranty and I would have to pay for the repair. I had the same vehicle to the dealer for a sound in the engine on 6/30 and they couldn't find anything! I have a friend who had the same issue when his car was a month old and they covered the cost of his repair.

- Nashua, NH, USA

May 262014

Focus 4-cyl

As I was driving the car, at low RPM's the car would stutter and stall. It is more pronounced with the air conditioning on. Took it to the dealer and could find nothing wrong with it, I was told this is common. On my way home from the dealer the car stalled leaving a green traffic light and I was almost hit in the rear end. The car finally lite a check engine light 3 weeks later. Dealer changed an O2 sensor and 4 days later in July car went into "limp mode" in first gear as I was leaving a restaurant. The car hesitated and stalled in traffic, I was almost hit in the rear of the car again. The dealer claims that the an actuator controlling the radiator vents is bad, but this should no have caused the car to go into limp mode. Ford has a tsb for a wiring harness problem, the number is tsb 13-9-7 that explains the issues of stuttering and stalling, but unless 2 codes are read on the computer they refuse to fix it. The problem is well documented on website. Hundreds, if not thousands of cars have the same issue. I believe that one day someone, if not many people, will be seriously hurt due to this issue.

- Galway, NY, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled several times and the engine light remained illuminated. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle shifted out of parked independently. The dealer advised it was normal for the vehicle to roll out of park on its own. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 36,000.

- Lamar, SC, USA

Jun 072014

Focus 4-cyl

As I was waiting a traffic light my engine revs dropped so low the engine quietly died. When I went to accelerate from the light I realized the car had stalled and had to restart the car. It only happened once more in the next month and a half, then happened three times yesterday. The last time the car stalled I was getting ready to make a left turn through a traffic light during the rush hour commute home. The car did start up again, but it struggled to turn back on and some dash lights flashed up me (I believe the cel flashed on.) I was stuck in the middle of an intersection during rush hour for approximately 5 seconds with a dead car.

- Carmel, IN, USA

May 192014

Focus 4-cyl

Engine started idling rough while down shifting, once the vehicle came to a stop the vehicle shuttered (rpms) and then stalled. This has happened quite a few times, but is intermittent. Engine started idling rough while traveling through a corner and down shifting from 3rd to 2nd, at that time the clutch was pushed in and the car stalled. I lost power steering and slightly traveled into the on coming lane of traffic at 25 mph. The stalling while down shifting has happened quite a few times, but is intermittent. Engine idles rough while at stops or down shifting, but does not stall. This happens almost all the time, does not always stall, but is also intermittent. Hill assist seems to be intermittent as to when it wants to work or not work. After performing a tsb on my car the clutch stuck to the floor. After I pumped the clutch a few times it started acting normal.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jun 172014

Focus 4-cyl

Ford Focus St (manual transmission) stalls repeatedly when coasting to a stop. Once stalled while driving at 40 mph which is potentially dangerous. Sometimes the idle drops very low (500 RPM) but doesn't stall. No check engine light (cel). Dealer said without cel there is no indication of a problem. From online research this appears to be a widespread problem with 2013 Focus St.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Focus 4-cyl

2013 Ford Focus St has stalled on the highway going 65+ mph multiple times, in addition to on -ramps and while coming to a stop, resulting in loss of power brakes and power steering. Multiple times has stalled without giving a check engine light, meaning the dealer wouldn't look at it despite being under warranty. Engine's idling speed is wildly erratic before and after stalling events. Have been incredibly lucky so far because this is extremely dangerous and a huge safety risk. Terrified of losing power again while turning left ahead of oncoming traffic or while merging onto the freeway. Ford has issued tsb 13-9-7 for those lucky enough to have the ECU store a code, notice the issue and get it to a dealer while still under warranty, but this absolutely needs to be a recall before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 212014

Focus 4-cyl

I purchased my vehicle in Sept 2013 brand new with 23 miles on it. I have no medication done to my car, and for the past few months I've noticed a small miss every once and a while. This problem started getting worse at times my car would accelerate without me pushing the throttle. On 21 June 2014 the problem got much worse and started to stall when I am in neutral, and the throttle is all over the place. The car is currently at the Ford dealership, this problem is all over the internet, with quite of few 2013 Ford focuses effected this is a problem that need to be raised. It is a major safety concern that if left untreated could result in someone losing their life.

- Fort Meade, MD, USA

Jun 122014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The techcnician was unable to diagnose the failure and stated that the contact could drive the vehicle as long as the check engine sensor light was not flashing. Also, the contact stated while traveling approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The dealer was contacted and the vehicle was towed to the dealership for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the faiure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,787.

- Hayesville, NC, USA

May 012014

Car is lagging and bogging consistently; turn acceleration in unpredictable, frequent transmission shuddering occurring, un-smooth shifting, I do not feel safe. Low gas mileage 20-24.

- East Haven, CT, USA

Sep 122012

Focus 4-cyl

1. the sputtering, hesitation when pressing down on the accelerator 2. after stopping the car, the extra "jolt" seems as if it could be a safety concern/issue 3.year later all this got worse and I had the car towed in to the dealership 2 times for a total of 38 days of "fixing" the problems of the transmission. 4.I've had my car back now for 3 days, the hesitation is still there, no sputtering noticed as of now.

- Universal City, TX, USA

May 182014

Focus 4-cyl

When driving at highway speed 65 with cruise control engaged the vehicle feels as if the engine is cutting out or engine braking is being applied the RPM's drop from 2.5 to 2.25 feels like the engine is pulsing.

- Augusta, KS, USA

May 092014

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicle stalls and shudders when shifting through lower gears. To avoid the issue you have to accelerate at a fairly high rate from a stop sign. Very dangerous when turning corners. Have taken into the dealer once scheduled for second trip this week. They say it is with in their tolerance boundaries.

- Augusta, KS, USA

May 022014

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicle will stall upon pressing the clutch in while in gear or neutral regardless of speed at random intervals. I'll notice that coming to a stop with the clutch in the car has a hard time finding an idle then ultimately dies. This mostly happens while the car has been running for awhile and the ac is on however it has happened with the ac off. This has happened multiple times including while down shifting into a lower gear while turning. The dealership was unable to reproduce this despite showing video proof of the issue. This is an overall safety concern when the car could shut off at any given moment while driving.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Hiddenite, NC, USA

Apr 252014

Focus 4-cyl

I first noticed a problem with my transmission the first week I bought my '13 Ford Focus. I would hear a shuddering and gears grinding when I would accelerate and my transmission would slip when shifting gears. I took it to the dealer and asked them to check it out but was told that it was normal and nothing to worry about and sent me on my way without even taking a look under the hood. I informed them I was worried about getting into an accident with it and they said that would be impossible and it was of no concern. On Friday, April 25th, 2014, after driving 40 minutes to work, I started my car up again and turned onto a main city road from a parking lot then onto a residential street. There, I noticed my transmission light had turned on and my car was having a difficult time shifting gears. The rpms skyrocketed and then plummeted. I was going about 20mph-25mph and my dash is reading 4rpms. I then turn onto another main road where my car started chugging along, it felt, while revving multiple times. I had no control over my own vehicle. About a mile or two away, I reached my destination. I parked and then started to drive again where my car then stopped and I had to declare it inoperable. The next day, I had to have the car towed. Come to find out, the transmission problems I complained about to the dealer were not normal and any day my car was going to quit on me. April 25th, 2014 happened to be that day. My car is just outside of the lemon law as I purchased it last January. Ford is hesitant on helping me and getting my car back and running. I was told there was no problem and nothing to worry about, therefore, I did not pursue the problem any further.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 182013

The first incident occurred two days or so after purchasing the car. Heard grinding noise in the front of the car as if metal was dragging on asphalt. Took it to dealership and they stated it was normal. About two weeks later check engine light came on. Took it to dealership and they ran a test and said nothing was wrong and reset the computer. A week later, message comes on the screen in the car to immediately pull over due to high temperatures. Lifted the hood and steam was emanating from the coolant reservoir and the lid had come off due to the pressure. I had to call for a tow to the dealership. They ran another test and found that the radiator fan had failed and they had to replace it. More repeated trips to the dealership to address the grinding transmission but to no avail. In April 2014, I started to experience violent shuddering and jerking, along with the grinding, and again took it to the dealership. They told my husband nothing was wrong because they did not experience it when he came in. Took it back the next day, they ran a test and found that I was is fact right that something was wrong. The clutch was being leaked on by seals above it. They told me they had ordered the part and would call me when it came in. I was not told to leave it there. They said they would call me when the part came in. The car lurches forward when shifting and shudders horribly. I would not recommend this car to anyone and I do not feel safe driving it and nothing seems to be done about it.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Mar 082014

On my 2013 Ford Focus St I have been experiencing a stalling issue while moving. Car will stall when clutch is pressed while slowing down. Ford has a tsb issued, but will not perform required work due to no code being present. The issue will come and go. Upon browsing internet this is a known issue and many people have been told Ford will not perform the fix. So there are numerous Ford Focus St on the road having this exact problem. It is affecting the current year as well. Here is a link to a discussion on this topic as you can see it is pretty much more than 50% of cars sold seem like they will eventually have this issue. It's a matter of luck if it will throw a code. People have resorted to fixing it themselves. This is absurd. This issue needs to be made public since Ford seems they are trying to save money by saying they need a code present. I brand new car should not be stalling while moving or any time you don't physically shut it off. It's creating a dangerous situation.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Apr 092014

Focus 4-cyl

Engine stalls and shuts off while coasting or coming to a stop with the clutch in.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012013

Focus 4-cyl

Upon startup, the car idles rough and the rpms drop until the ECU catches it and the rpms increase. The problem becomes more frequent as the car is driven. At times, the rpms will drop so far that the car will stall. The problem tends to get worse as the car heats up. It has stalled multiple times when come to a stop at an intersection or to park. For example, I went out to start the car after about 20 minutes of it sitting after 40 minutes of mixed commuting and the car could not keep an idle. It stalled on me 3 times and felt like it was going to shake itself to pieces. I finally got it started by holding down the throttle and I was able to move the car. It was 60-63 degrees out on April 3rd, 2014 in southeastern ct when this problem occurred. The problem also seems to get worse as the air temperature increases.

- Groton, CT, USA