CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 212016

Focus

2013 Ford Focus left rear passenger door opened suddenly during drive. Will not stay shut and is in open unlocked position. May be related to child safety lock mechanism, as a child is often in backseat. Currently tied shut so not to open. Similar cars are under current recall for similar issue. Also, dealership denied fixing problem issue, per Ford.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jul 012016

Focus

I returned home from work and parked in my driveway. I exited the vehicle and attempted to close the drivers door. It would not stay shut, I examined the door to look for an obstruction and found none. The door latch would not engage to keep the door shut. I tied a rope between the two front door handles so I could drive the vehicle to the dealership to check on getting it repaired under my extended warranty. The service writer told me that he's seen plenty of these instances of the door latch breaking and not staying closed and that it is not covered under the extended warranty. I was told it would cost around $500 to fix. I asked if they have upgraded or redesigned the part because of all of the issues he said people are having with the door latches and he told me that the part number has not changed so it is probably the same.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 082016

Focus

After 57,000 miles the clutch pedal assembly failed on my 2013 Ford Focus St. The actuator rod is plastic and it just snapped off. The factory replacement part has a metal actuator rod, so the company must know that the original part was defective. I could picture this causing a crash when the clutch doesn't operate properly. Ford says that there is no recall on it at this time. Seems like a pretty serious design flaw to me. With labor and parts it cost over $300 to repair. I have the defective part available for inspection.

- Salem, UT, USA

Jul 052016

Focus

I was taking a turn in my Ford Focus about 35 mph in a residential area and the door flew open. I pulled over to make sure there was nothing in the door to prevent it form staying closed, I found nothing. I started to drive again and had to drive holding my passenger door closed. I brought it immediately to my local Ford dealership and was charged repair for the door latch through my extended warranty.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jun 142016

Focus

I purchased this car septmeber of 2015 with 39,000 miles, just about two weeks ago this car has been acting crazy and it's dangerous. When I seemed to turn it on and put it in reverse it does not want to go just stay stuck. So then I turn it off to restart everything and it does not want to turn on. Or sometimes it'll go reverse but then I shift it to drive and it stays stuck on drive. Or sometimes as I'm driving in the highway the gears start to slow down on me. This is such a horrible experience and I know it's a recall on my car so I have an appointment July 6th to get it checked I hope they can get it fixed.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Jun 242016

Focus

While driving and making a left turn the drivers door opened. My son tried to re-shut the door and it would not secure.

- Castaic, CA, USA

Jun 272016

Focus

Drivers side rear door suddenly opened while driving and now will not latch. Grand daughters car set flew out of car - luckily she was not in it. Apparently the is a common problem and so far no recall Ford has other models which use teh same part number that have a recall if those exact parts are covered why not these?

- Highland, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Focus

Front driver side door opened while driving on residential street. "door ajar" error message displayed on instrument panel. Door would not latch shut after trying to close it.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 052014

Focus

Transmission/clutch problem. Consistently grinds, lunges forward, sputters when taking off, turning & slowing down. It feels like the car is going to stall out. Worst when it is hot outside. Have been back to the dealer 3 times for the same problem! I have read the numerous complaints about this vehicle and it seems that I am not the only one that this problem is happening to. It all started 6 months after I bought the vehicle 4/2013.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Feb 102016

Focus

Drivers side door latch did not latch when I got in the car. I took my vehicle to santan Ford in gilbert AZ. They charged me $618.37 to repair the car. I don't understand why this is not on a recall as other Ford vehicles are being recalled. The car has 42K miles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 022016

Focus

On 6/2/16 I was driving down a city street in my 2013 Ford Focus and the drivers door flew open. After being inspected it was obvious that the door latch had broken. I feel that this is a huge issue and is very dangerous. I have heard from multiple others that this has happened to them as well

- Fort Mohave, AZ, USA

May 212016

Focus

Drivers door latch just stopped working. The door will not stay closed and Ford said they do not have a recall at this time. It is an estimated $700 for the repairs which I feel is outrageous since the car is only 3 years old. Obviously there are multiple owners with the same issue.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 172016

Focus

Right drivers side door latch doesn't stay latched anymore. This is similar to the numerous complaints associated with this type of vehicle. This is clearly unasafe and needs to be recalled as this is not a normal wear and tear part.

- St. Cloud, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Focus

Transmission mounts and passenger side mount need to be replaced, car is jerking while driving especially when you hit the gas pedal to pick up a liitle more speed.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

May 032016

Focus

Takata recall purchased car took to dealer a week after because the gear shift was making loud noise upon reverse in driveway two weeks later I head a loud pop and it broke according to the dealership they did not fix it now my lights won't turn off it says my trunk is open while it's closed and my driver door will not lock or stay closed and the car makes noises as if the key is in the ignition and it's not my door will not lock and my trunk will not open with the key.

- California City, CA, USA

Apr 292016

Focus

New dealer maintained 2013 Focus titanium Focus 6 months old about 18000 miles had bad wheel bearing on the drivers side, at 46000 transmission was overhauled due to poor shifting, AT120000 catalytic converter failed, AT136000 car died due to bad wiring harness and fried several sensors, at 143000 transmission control module failed, at 144000 the transmission module failed again on a 3 year old car.

- Stockbridge, MI, USA

Dec 122015

Focus

The clutch on the car is very jerky and delayed acceleration. Seems as if the clutch is slipping when accelerating the car. I have taken the car into Ford dealership and they said they replaced the clutch...but I'm still having the exact same problem with this "new" clutch.

- Debary, FL, USA

Mar 192016

Focus

Transmission does not shift into gears as it should, no power going up hill.sounds like motor going to fall out when you park.these happens several times and at different places

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Oct 251015

Focus

The weatherstripping came loose on the paaengerside rear door, the dealer service dept reglued it back on and told me not to open that door for 24 hrs. This I did, but when I picked my wife up at the daycare and she gotmin the paas. Side front the weatherstrip came loose again and the glue smell made me sick. Also I am having transmission issues such as shudder starts, slipping shifts. I got into a row with the people at the dealer, friendship Ford, bristol, tn 37620 and was told by the owner never to come on his property again or I will be escorted off by the police.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Dec 292014

Focus

Car jerks when accelerating. After being stopped and stepping on the gas, car feels like it is going to stall out to the point when it begins to move again it jerks you back in the seat. Makes a loud grinding noise under the hood. Also, when turning the key to start the vehicle, it is hesitant to start. Car shakes and does not drive at an even pace unless on the highway at or above 40 mph. Been to the dealer numerous times about these problems, all to which they have no answers for.

- Duryea, PA, USA