CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

3.7

2013 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 242016

Focus

While driving and making a left turn the drivers door opened. My son tried to re-shut the door and it would not secure.

- Castaic, CA, USA

Jun 272016

Focus

Drivers side rear door suddenly opened while driving and now will not latch. Grand daughters car set flew out of car - luckily she was not in it. Apparently the is a common problem and so far no recall Ford has other models which use teh same part number that have a recall if those exact parts are covered why not these?

- Highland, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Focus

Front driver side door opened while driving on residential street. "door ajar" error message displayed on instrument panel. Door would not latch shut after trying to close it.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 052014

Focus

Transmission/clutch problem. Consistently grinds, lunges forward, sputters when taking off, turning & slowing down. It feels like the car is going to stall out. Worst when it is hot outside. Have been back to the dealer 3 times for the same problem! I have read the numerous complaints about this vehicle and it seems that I am not the only one that this problem is happening to. It all started 6 months after I bought the vehicle 4/2013.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Feb 102016

Focus

Drivers side door latch did not latch when I got in the car. I took my vehicle to santan Ford in gilbert AZ. They charged me $618.37 to repair the car. I don't understand why this is not on a recall as other Ford vehicles are being recalled. The car has 42K miles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 022016

Focus

On 6/2/16 I was driving down a city street in my 2013 Ford Focus and the drivers door flew open. After being inspected it was obvious that the door latch had broken. I feel that this is a huge issue and is very dangerous. I have heard from multiple others that this has happened to them as well

- Fort Mohave, AZ, USA

May 212016

Focus

Drivers door latch just stopped working. The door will not stay closed and Ford said they do not have a recall at this time. It is an estimated $700 for the repairs which I feel is outrageous since the car is only 3 years old. Obviously there are multiple owners with the same issue.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 172016

Focus

Right drivers side door latch doesn't stay latched anymore. This is similar to the numerous complaints associated with this type of vehicle. This is clearly unasafe and needs to be recalled as this is not a normal wear and tear part.

- St. Cloud, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Focus

Transmission mounts and passenger side mount need to be replaced, car is jerking while driving especially when you hit the gas pedal to pick up a liitle more speed.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

May 032016

Focus

Takata recall purchased car took to dealer a week after because the gear shift was making loud noise upon reverse in driveway two weeks later I head a loud pop and it broke according to the dealership they did not fix it now my lights won't turn off it says my trunk is open while it's closed and my driver door will not lock or stay closed and the car makes noises as if the key is in the ignition and it's not my door will not lock and my trunk will not open with the key.

- California City, CA, USA

Apr 292016

Focus

New dealer maintained 2013 Focus titanium Focus 6 months old about 18000 miles had bad wheel bearing on the drivers side, at 46000 transmission was overhauled due to poor shifting, AT120000 catalytic converter failed, AT136000 car died due to bad wiring harness and fried several sensors, at 143000 transmission control module failed, at 144000 the transmission module failed again on a 3 year old car.

- Stockbridge, MI, USA

Dec 122015

Focus

The clutch on the car is very jerky and delayed acceleration. Seems as if the clutch is slipping when accelerating the car. I have taken the car into Ford dealership and they said they replaced the clutch...but I'm still having the exact same problem with this "new" clutch.

- Debary, FL, USA

Mar 192016

Focus

Transmission does not shift into gears as it should, no power going up hill.sounds like motor going to fall out when you park.these happens several times and at different places

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Oct 251015

Focus

The weatherstripping came loose on the paaengerside rear door, the dealer service dept reglued it back on and told me not to open that door for 24 hrs. This I did, but when I picked my wife up at the daycare and she gotmin the paas. Side front the weatherstrip came loose again and the glue smell made me sick. Also I am having transmission issues such as shudder starts, slipping shifts. I got into a row with the people at the dealer, friendship Ford, bristol, tn 37620 and was told by the owner never to come on his property again or I will be escorted off by the police.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Dec 292014

Focus

Car jerks when accelerating. After being stopped and stepping on the gas, car feels like it is going to stall out to the point when it begins to move again it jerks you back in the seat. Makes a loud grinding noise under the hood. Also, when turning the key to start the vehicle, it is hesitant to start. Car shakes and does not drive at an even pace unless on the highway at or above 40 mph. Been to the dealer numerous times about these problems, all to which they have no answers for.

- Duryea, PA, USA

Jun 092015

Focus

The transmission on this vehicle has let go four times. One of those incidents occurred 24 hours after the most recent replacement (last week). The car fails to shift, slows down or stops while driving or rolls while the car is at a complete stop. The car also fails to reach speeds quickly and requires a lot of pressure and force to get the car even up to 30 miles an hour making it extremely difficult and dangerous while driving on highways, on-ramps and even going after stopping at a stop sign or stop light.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Sep 242012

Focus

The same week I purchased my new Ford Focus, the transmission started to shudder upon acceleration but it wasnt every time I drove it. It would do it for a day or two then stop for several weeks or even months. Then it started doing it every time I drove it.. I contacted Ford, took it in and they told me they fixed it. It appeared to be fixed for a while then started doing the same thing again. Once again, I took it back to Ford, was told they were having transmission problems with that year and once again I was assured it was fixed. I have taken it back 4 or 5 times now for the same problem and each time have been told Ford has found a new way to correct the problem. The last time I had it in was August,7,2015. I was told once again that there was a new fix for the problem and that it was fixed. Within a couple of days it started shuddering again. Its doing just like always. Starts out just every now and then and then gets to be constant. I have noticed a different problem also. Sometimes the transmission seems to want to keep going when I am trying to slow down or come to a stop it seems to stick. Its very scary. I am actually concerned for my safety at this point.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Aug 182015

Focus

Driving to work to the pentagon, went to accelerate and the vehicle slipped then stuttered before moving up a notch. The check engine light came on. I brought it into service. They let me know that this is a known issue and the vehicle needed to relearn my driving habits. They kept the vehicle for almost week. While driving to work and home on 10 days later the issue re-occurred. Driving in DC on a highways is extremely hazardous and dangerous for all on the road. It was a good thing that I was by myself and not my whole family in the car.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 012015

Focus

There is something wrong with the transmission of this vehicle, it jerks and sometimes acts like it is going to die, especially at lower speeds. I'm not sure as to what needs to be done with these, they just need to run more smoothly and not seem like they are going to break down-which is how I feel on a daily basis with this vehicle.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 202015

Focus

The dash unit will cease to work and all speakers in the car will unexpectedly emit an earsplitting, high frequency squeal. This sound is intermittent with a loud crackling and popping which cannot be stopped. This occurs while driving the vehicle, when the vehicle door is opened and the engine is not running, while the vehicle sits without any operation or ignition, or at any other time. The piercing sound has only stopped by removal of fuses in the passenger side fuse box. The entire dash unit will not function and thus does not alleviate the noise. This sound has been produced by the vehicle when not in motion, engine is not running, and car has been immobile for a long period of time. The abrupt, deafening sound is a safety issue which can cause an accident due to the driver's reaction.

- Centerburg, OH, USA