CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jul 032016

Focus

Backing out of a parking space and the power steering failed. Wheel could not be turned at all. Vehicle had to be towed to a dealer since an independent repair shop could not repair. Total cost of the repair was $1793.43. The vehicle only had 49K miles at the time of the failure.

- Lutherville, MD, USA

May 272016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving 35 mph, the power steering seized and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering failed. The vehicle was repair, but the failure recurred. The dealer confirmed the power steering failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jun 302016

Focus

While driving on highway making sweeping rh turn steering wheel suddenly turned to the left enough that I crossed into another lane. Got off highway, no warning indicators. Went through town and on bumpy pavement or low speed turns steering wheel would fight my efforts to turn. Called dealer and drove the car there the next morning. Finally a warning appeared that said steering assist failure. It was then I realized car was twitching in / out of manual steering and would jerk steering wheel from my hands if I didn't keep a death grip on the wheel. This 2013 Focus has had clutch pack replacement, tcm failure and horn intermit working. If you don't hold wheel tight I could see a crash would be likely. This car scares me but can't afford a new car, heck this is a new car with 65,000 miles on it. Can't wait to see dealer bill for this. Ugh

- Endicott, NY, USA

Jun 252016

Focus

Drove out of state for a wedding, parked car at a rest stop to use the bathroom came back out started the car to find a warning light "steering assist fault" amber colored [I] appeared on the dash and unable to turn the steering wheel. My husband took the drivers seat to drive to the next exit where our hotel is to manually fight to turn the wheel. Had to be towed home almost 100 miles, Ford should own up to this sever safety issue and recall this vehicle problem. Nothing cleared this code or fixed the difficult steering.

- Acushnet, MA, USA

Jun 052016

Focus

Vehicle was parked. I went to turn on the car, and the steering wheel was locked and would not turn at all. Had the car towed to the dealership. The service manager says the electric steering rack and pinion has failed and has to be replaced at a cost of $1,497. In addition, the car has also had numerous repairs to the transmission system. The car has had problems with the transmission since the very first day of purchase. The car will vigorously shudder at random times. The shuddering occurs every time I drive the car and it causes the car to violently jerk forward. We have taken the car in for all of the service updates/recalls, and the transmission problems still persist. The computer screen also will turn off randomly while driving. One time while driving on a highway, the car died. It was very dangerous. I should not have purchased this car.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 302016

Focus

While driving on a main road my steering wheel suddenly became very tight and felt as if it locked up. I was unable to turn the wheel and then the light went on saying power steering failure. The car because extreamly difficult to control and no longer safe to drive. When I would try to turn the wheel I would hear almost like a grinding sound and the wheel would feel like it was almost pushing back against me turning it. The vehicle is no longer safe to drive and was purchased brand new and has never had any issues until this.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

May 282016

Focus

I was driving on the interstate, and had noticed my steering wheel was kind of tight, and making little adjustments didn't feel normal. I was traveling at 70 mph, and the car couldn't make a small curve, I had to swerve into the next lane, almost hit the concrete wall. My warning light came on steering assist fault service immediately. I pulled off the interstate as I did there was a horrible gridding sound at any little turn of the wheel. The steering became completely useless, the car was drifting into oncoming traffic and wouldn't turn at all. I parked the car and turned it off, when I turned it backed on the error has changed to complete system failure, and the steering wheel will not move at all.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

May 232016

Focus

Steering rack needed to be replaced. Caused sticking steering and a dry grounding sound. Problem occured while driving. Mechanic said it could seize up the steering.

- Cripple Creek, CO, USA

Apr 202016

Focus

My 2013 Ford Focus has 60K miles or less and the rack and pinion went out while I was driving and other than that I got the car at 36K miles and has had it in the shop twice because of shuttering in between gears which is scary sometimes. Needless to say the software was updated twice and clutch was replaced and it still shutters.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Feb 092016

Focus

I was driving and the steering got hard, so I kept driving it to work. It said something about steering fault. I stepped into a place to get coffee, and then turned my car on and the screen said power loss. I cannot believe this is happening with 60K on it... its only a 2013..

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 022016

Focus

While driving the steering stops working, unable to turn right or left. I was turning right at a corner and steering completely stopped working. Traffic stopped because of this and this could've caused an accident.

- Abernathy, TX, USA

Jan 302016

Focus

Electronic power steering assist failure. Electronic power steering failed while vehicle was in motion on city streets while turning.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Nov 022015

Focus

Letter from senator burr on behalf of constituent re 2013 Ford Focus issues. The consumer stated while driving on the freeway at 65 mph, he noticed dead spots in the steering function, the vehicle seemed to drift in a direction and while trying to correct it, nothing happened right away. Then it would catch. The consumer also stated after driving the vehicle for a month, it was apparent there was a problem with the transmission. It was hesitating trying to shift and making noises. The dealer was aware of the problem and it stated it was called shuddering. The dealer informed the consumer it depended how fast he took off from start and it was standard for the vehicle. The consumer discovered there was a fix for the problem. However, records indicated the transmission had already been fixed on the vehicle.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Oct 152015

Focus

Driving home on the 15 October 2015 and the power assist feature failed. Had to have the vehicle towed home. Appears to be a common or know safety issue.unsafe due to highway driving - speed and potential merging issues!

- Oxford, NC, USA

Aug 152015

Focus

I was driving and out of no where the information light came on notify me that the steering assist fault light and the steering wheel wouldn't turn

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 182015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While reversing at a low speed, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Aug 212015

Focus

My 16 year old daughters car. She called me to tell me the steering control would no longer work and could barely control the direction of the car. This occurred while the car was in operation and being driven down a highway I advised her to pull over and give me her location. When I got the car, I verified that steering was extremely difficult. I checked the tilt and telescoping steering and had no effect. I then checked for fluid, does not exist. Lastly, I turned the car off and then re started. At restart, the electric power steering then worked properly. I then reported to my local Ford dealership. They checked to see if any recalls existed for the reported problem and was advised that none existed. The dealership then told me that if I had any future problems to let them know.

- Summit, MS, USA

Aug 212015

- Summit, MS, USA

Sep 022015

Focus

Stopped in stop-and-go traffic on a major highway, when I attempted to accelerate again the vehicle flashed a warning which said "hill start assist not available" and the engine died completely. I lost all power to the wheels and lost power steering, was able to coast to the shoulder, where the car would not start. All warning lights appeared to come on, including seatbelt, check engine, traction control, etc. The car indicated it was in "drive", in spite of the fact that I had the gearshift in park. It would not shift gears or allow me to start the engine. After sitting for 30-40 minutes waiting for a tow truck, the car suddenly appeared to function normally. I drove home, and 10 minutes later, while parallel parking, the incident occurred again: Backing into a parking space and attempting to pull back out, going uphill, the exact same sequence of events occurred ("hill start assist not available", loss of power and steering). This time the vehicle coasted backwards into another car. No injuries or damage. The 2013 Ford Focus cannot be trusted to be driven on the highway. I have read many reports online of other drivers having identical or very similar issues with hill start assist/transmission/traction control errors, loss of power, loss of power steering, and inability to shift gears or restart the car, with this error sometimes happening *while driving at highway speeds* resulting in loss of control of the vehicle. I do not feel safe driving this car. I feel less safe knowing that Ford with this problem waiting to happen are being driving every day by unknowing drivers. This is a safety issue of the highest magnitude. It is absolutely outrageous that Ford has issued no recalls.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 222013

Focus

In August 2013 after owning car short time took to dealer and service manager drove it with us and said many people think there is an issue with shuddering and delayed acceleration but it's just the high performance transmission.. not to worry. The car continually got worse over time and we got a recall notice and took in in Oct 2014. They replaced the clutch and seals. May 5 the car got really back on long drive home from la. Overheated and then warning light came on. Turned car off and back on warning light went off and drove car home shuddering very bad and with extreme delayed acceleration. Had cars behind us on hills honking and almost rear ended us... took car in May 15 they said it wasn't safe to drive and they had it for 2 months to fix clutch, seals and adaptive learning sensor, replaced tcm, electronics. 8/8/15 while on freeway steering assist fault notification - service required. Pulled off and when I tried to start car again I couldn't move the steering column. Called nearby Ford dealer and they said you can't drive it - safety issue. It is currently in the shop again. Having this happen on a freeway is terrifying - cars honking at you, trying to steer off, etc. This is a danger and Ford needs to take care of it instead of continuing to do temp fixes!!!!!

- San Jose, CA, USA