CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 082015

Focus

As I was driving home with my daughter I had turned a corner going a low speed like 10mph and the steer assist fault warning light came on and my steering wheel locked up as I was turning and I had to force my car straight. I moved off to the side and I was so scared.my daughter who is autistic also said mommy I'm scared. I had no idea if it was safe to try and get home or if I should sit there.I am so frustrated that I bought this car to replace a car that had gone out and have only had it for 5 months. I'm even more upset that I trusted that the 2013 Ford Focus was a stable car and here I am about to have to shell out money that I don't have to get it fixed. I'm outraged that this type of thing is happening to many Ford owners, and I'm regretting that I even chose this car. They boast about being american made yet it's bad quality american made. I also have an issue with the car jerking and shaking while driving or stuttering. Although this is equally dangerous it is tolerable. I hope this company makes it right with their customers and think of our safety before they keep making these cars.im very disappointed beyond words. Major work on a car with only 44,890 mikes on it.shame on you Ford

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 072015

Focus

While driving home from work, I felt the steering wheel became tight, then a slight drift to the left. When I tried to bring it back to the center the steering wheel would not move to the right. I noticed if I turn it to the left a little, which could take me left of center of the road, I was able to turn the wheel to the right and bring the car right and back to center of my lane. This worsen as I got close to home as I began to hear noises like grinding from the steering. By driving very slowly with my flashers on, getting out periodically to check if the wheel was not falling off, I manage to get home safely.

- Cincinnati A, OH, USA

Jun 102015

Focus 4-cyl

I was driving on a side street at about 15 mph when I noticed it became difficult to steer the car. The steering assist warning light came on. It was now difficult to make turns. It felt like manual steering from the 1960's. there was no warning; it just happened. I took the Ford Focus to my mechanic. He plugged the car into the computer for a diagnostic report. He found nothing wrong with it. He loosened the battery cables and made a few other inspections. The steering assist light was no longer on and the car ran well. Having the power steering go out without warning was scary. I've never had this problem with any car.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012015

Focus

We have an intermittent problem with the electrical power steering on the car. Sometimes we start it and we get an error message "electrical power steering malfunction". when we turn off the car and restart the problem clears itself. Lately it has added a new dimension that causes concern. While driving the electrical steering goes out with the same warning. We need to move to shoulder. Put in park and turn off car and restart to correct. Trips to the dealer have been unfruitful as they can't duplicate the problem.

- Monrovia, CA, USA

May 162015

Focus

The steering seemed very difficult then a message on the message board said steering fault turn engine off.I had it towed to a Ford garage who said the electronic power assist steering needed to be replaced

- Dundee, MI, USA

May 022015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 70 mph, there was a warning alarm and the power steering default critical light illuminated. The steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Apr 122015

Focus 4-cyl

Driving from home, made two turns with the steering somewhat "grabbing" both times, but after getting to maintain speed at about 50 mph it seems to be fine, until I went to make a small adjustment in direction, started getting a steering failure and the steering just stuck, so I turned hard to over correct (like you would in a car w/ no power steering) and suddenly it let loose, shooting to the other side of the lane and grabbed again and repeated again. By now im starting to get concerned and slow down, but the next time it grabbed completely stuck in that direction and the error changed to "steering loss", I slammed on the brakes before veering off the road, and thankfully not far from home. However, I was terrified, and thankfully my wife and children were not in the car, or we were in the middle of our hour commute! now after talking to the dealer we are up for $1300 in repairs and only 8000 miles out of factory warranty. No car until this is fixed! completely need to replace the epas, this is unacceptable Ford!

- Ravenna , MI, USA

Mar 182015

Focus 4-cyl

I filled up my car with gas and then turned it back on to get a failure message that my eps power steering had failed. When I tried to turn the vehicle, it was very hard to turn corners or turn it at all. I tried driving it to the dealership and once there, I was notified that I would need to pay $1,500 to pay for an entire new eps system since they cannot replace just the steering module. I don't get how I pay for a like-new car in 2014 and immediately incur a $1,500 bill.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jan 142015

Focus

Wife was driving the car from work and on the way home suddenly the car lost the power steering, warning light came on and a warning to service the vehicle display on the screen stating there was a problem with the steering assist system. She almost hit another car trying to get to the side of the road because it was very difficult to steer the vehicle, since she was close to the dealer where the vehicle was bought she carefully made her way into the dealer and left it there for service. Later I was told by the dealer that it was a problem with the rack and pinion and they did not have the part available and it will take 3 weeks for the part to arrive. After a google search I found this vehicles are having problems with a epas system, tomorrow I will be talking to the service manager and see what they say about this...

- Mayaguez, PR, USA

Jan 022015

Focus 4-cyl

While parked, steering locked, making any steering impossible. After returning to normal operation, car while being driven at any speed, became difficult to steer. Steering felt as if there was a gear clash, wheel had to be held with force to drive straight. Without effort, vehicle wanted to veer either right or left.

- Scheller, IL, USA

Dec 042014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed without warning. The contact had to apply force to turn the steering wheel which had become extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for further inspection, diagnosis and repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 122014

Focus

The contact rented a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, all the lights on the instrument panel illuminated along with the transmission and you are not in park warning lights. In addition, the brakes and power steering failed. The vehicle was towed to the rental company. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Washington , DC, USA

Nov 232013

Focus 4-cyl

When driving at highway speeds of about 65+ mph the steering wheel will have a notchy feel when you try and turn it from the center to correct direction, which results in a jolt* that over corrects causing you to have to correct again, where the issue comes into play once again. Doing so make it feel as if you have to constantly turn the wheel between the notch points in order to go in a straight line, which makes the car handle in a very unsafe manner, when you take into account that when the wheel goes into the notch the car heads straight for the car next to you or the barrier/ditch on the side of the road. I have to take 500 mile trips every month, and this becomes a serious problem at the speeds and distances that I have to drive. * this jolt is like you have to turn over a bump, there is a point that requires more force to turn than normal, but the moment it breaks that barrier, it goes back to normal causing the wheel to turn and stick into another position/notch. There is a notch both left and right about 10-15 degrees of center, meaning once you break the initial force to move from the center, it will "clunk" into the notch at 10-15 degrees from center.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Focus 4-cyl

My car has had the steering fixed, the alternator replaced and the clutch fixed 5-6 times in 6 months. My transmission/clutch is still not repaired. Someone is going to die in this car and I can't afford to get rid of it so I am forced to put my life in danger every day. I have a lemon law attorney and Ford will still do nothing. I paid $1095 for an automatic transmission and I do not have an automatic transmission. Ford committed fraud with this sale.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Jun 262014

Focus 4-cyl

Warning light came on. "steering assist fault. Service required." Complete loss of power steering. Very difficult to turn wheel to get off the road. Same problem occurred again 2 weeks later.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 122013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph after the accelerator pedal depressed, there was a loud noise that emitted from the driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle veered to the left and the steering wheel became difficult maneuver. The manufacturer was contacted and did not offer a remedy. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 18,722.

- Greesburo, NC, USA

Jun 122014

Focus

The steering problems started nearly two months ago. At first it was a faint pull in the wheel... I incorrectly assumed it was a tire balance issue. Then three weeks ago, I noticed the "pull" was getting stronger, and seemed to coincide with the A/C fan or random light failing. Two weeks ago was the worst - I was on my way to the dealership and slowed down to stop at a light. My wheel was slightly to the right; and about 5 seconds before coming to a stop, the wheel all of a sudden yanked an extra forty degrees and pulled me into the turning lane. After getting back into my own lane, I noticed that the A/C fan also quit working. The car has also had random electrical problems/failures. The car has been in the dealership for 2 weeks now, and they are unable to reproduce/resolve the problem.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

May 012014

Focus 4-cyl

2013 Ford Focus St has stalled on the highway going 65+ mph multiple times, in addition to on -ramps and while coming to a stop, resulting in loss of power brakes and power steering. Multiple times has stalled without giving a check engine light, meaning the dealer wouldn't look at it despite being under warranty. Engine's idling speed is wildly erratic before and after stalling events. Have been incredibly lucky so far because this is extremely dangerous and a huge safety risk. Terrified of losing power again while turning left ahead of oncoming traffic or while merging onto the freeway. Ford has issued tsb 13-9-7 for those lucky enough to have the ECU store a code, notice the issue and get it to a dealer while still under warranty, but this absolutely needs to be a recall before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 022014

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicle will stall upon pressing the clutch in while in gear or neutral regardless of speed at random intervals. I'll notice that coming to a stop with the clutch in the car has a hard time finding an idle then ultimately dies. This mostly happens while the car has been running for awhile and the ac is on however it has happened with the ac off. This has happened multiple times including while down shifting into a lower gear while turning. The dealership was unable to reproduce this despite showing video proof of the issue. This is an overall safety concern when the car could shut off at any given moment while driving.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Apr 042014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while he drove 65 mph the steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage were 350.

- Germantown , NY, USA