CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

6.7

2014 Ford Focus brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Oct 302016

Focus

My car has a mind of its own. I have complained to Ford many times regarding the car jumping since the day I bought it. I have been told " oh, its the way it was made." My car completely stopped on me before while I was driving with my kids in it. I took my car back to the dealer right then and they reprogram it and told me it was fine. I took my car back for the battery going to completely dead with a brand new car. Today as I'm picking up my kids my check engine light came on. I took my kids home and called my dad and was advised to get a diagnosis test ran on my car. To my surprise my car is getting a error code P090C" this is an electric problem that it seems that million of drivers have gotten that involves the clutch actuator low circuit. Why did I not receive a recall for this" I need some answers now because this car has stop before with my children with me and I will not die because of Ford. I need this issue fixed

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 302014

Focus

Since since bought this car brand-new in 2014 there has been a grinding stuttering shaking and jerking of the transmission when in motion. This happens whether the car is on the highway or at a low rate of speed but mostly when driving forward from park. Ford attempted to upgrade the software to the transmission several times which has never worked. This is a known issue to Ford and they are claiming that it is a characteristic of the transmission and it is normal activity. The transmission shutters and jerks so much that the car will not shift and will not move forward appropriately and I have come close to getting rear-ended several times because the transmission cannot catch up with the acceleration. I am asking Ford for assistance in trading the car in since the value in the car depreciated so much because of all of the transmission issues and they are refusing to help me.

- Uncasville, CT, USA

Jun 272016

Focus

When stopped at a light or something, car hesitates like it's gonna die. The RPM's shoot way up and if I go to brake, they like almost get stuck in high RPM. Transmission shutters. Tire pressure warning light stays on when I've checked the tires pressure and everything

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Sep 062016

Focus

When I put it in drive mode it goes back words.when I'm driving for about 20 min it shows my E brake is on and says transmission at fault and engin at fault

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 242016

Focus

My 2014 Ford Focus hesitate, then it takes off, when mergining into traffic it stalls, transmission seems to be slipping, I was almost hit twice from it stalling, transmission service light comes on, radio display not working

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jun 242016

Focus

Almost immediately after purchasing I noticed the vehicle had difficulty shifting properly. It seemed to be jumpy when I accelerated after a complete stop. Then, I began to notice the car struggling to accelerate while I merged into traffic. I felt what could be best described as a frog hopping when I was in stop and go traffic. Turning corners also made my car launch forward then backwards suddenly. Car was repaired. Condition slightly improved but I could still feel a constant hesitation upon acceleration. I became used to having to mash my foot onto the gas to get the car to accelerate normally, then taking my foot off as it violently jumped into each gear. After a few weeks, the problem began to occur upon deceleration too, lunging forward suddenly after I had come to a complete stop. I then began experienced a loss of acceleration while sitting at red lights, or in the middle of intersection, while merging onto a on highway, or going around corner. This annoying condition quickly became a serious safety issue when was almost hit on two occasions because of a failure to accelerate. Clutch was then replaced again. Immediately upon receiving my ¿fixed¿ vehicle for the second time, the sputtering continued. This time it was worse. The vehicles rpms seemed to be out of sync with the gear shifts. The car was constantly revving up and down when I was at a consistent speed. When I accelerated the vehicle jerked, skipped, and seemed to lose power before suddenly kicking into drive. When I came to a stop my vehicle always jerked forward before completely stopping. There were several occasions where I nearly rear ended the car in front of me because it suddenly lunged forward after I braked. Just received my car back after the third fixing and I am still experiencing the same shaking, grinding, jolting, and jumping. I have never felt more unsafe in a vehicle.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 112014

Focus

First incident car wouldn't start, 2nd incident took car in for lurching, shuddering, 3rd incident rolling back (car still shuddering) they said this was within normal specs. 4th incident have been ignoring it (because it is normal??!!)... still shuddering, lurching on take off from a stop, also tires are making a "tire sound" secondary to transmission (most likely due to transmission issues)... boyfriend and pep boys say this is not normal that its the transmission. Taking it back in on the 15th of Sept. 2015, very frustrating. Having boyfriend take it back in because we believe that automotive is still a sexist industry. Have 2 case numbers given to me. Certain it is a lemon, not sure where to go from here. Hate my car.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Feb 022015

Focus 4-cyl

The steering is very dangerous and will cause an accident. There is no centering the wheel, it constantly drifts back and forth left and right, on it's own with flat straight road and perfect straight line of sight. The steering is too sensitive, if I move the steering wheel just a slight amount it over corrects and continues to moves the car. The drive must constantly course correct or I will veer off the road right/left or hit another car in either lane, the problem is multiplied several times over when traveling at highway speeds. Searching the internet I see several other complaints from 2014 Focus owners and am quite shocked this issue has not been escalated and fixed by Ford, the new electric steering is not working and a safety hazard to any driver. I had the car in the mathews Ford collision shop to repair a hit to the front end from a deer, and reported the steering issue. They acted like they had no idea what I was reporting and recommended a front end alignment. I told them they needed to drive the car and would feel and experience the problem. I picked the car up last week and they said the steering computer was reset and re-calibrated, and the front end alignment was done. As soon as I left and was driving it was actually worse than before and when I traveled on the highway 2 days later it was very pronounced with very little wind that day. I went back to mathews today and had one of their estimators drive the car with me in it and he absolutely agreed and said the car drifted left and right on its own, like the old fashioned cars that run at amusement parks.they are supposed to contact me once they talk to the repair shop and then I started researching on the internet and was shocked that this is a known problem, so decided to file this complaint. This car was manufactured February 2014 and currently has only 10,000 miles.

- Granville, OH, USA

Nov 242014

Focus

Took my car to the Ford dealership, for the 5times. To be looked at again for all the problems I am having and they stated they found the problem, like every time, with the shuddering and hesitation I was experiencing. They have reprogrammed, and replaced the clutch and computer and asked that I drive it again for a bit and see if the problem returns. The problems still remains the same, with no help from dealership, they just keep making excuses, refusing to face the problem, they told me after my 5th trip and waist of time to think about a new car, my car is barely even 11 months old. The last time it was service they didn't even put back in the oil plug, for an oil change I didn't even receive, my car is worst everyday, I have bought 4 vehicles mfri! this dealership and if they don't face the facts and fix it its going to be my last, I can't depend on my car, I don't want to be stranded and the safety hazards for these same issues are ridiculous, I should not have to feel threatened or afraid to drive my own car. Everytime I start !Y car and start to go, I have to worry if !Y car is going to get stuck in gear and accelerate or not stop at all, resulting in an accident or worse.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Feb 022014

Focus 4-cyl

The 2014 Ford Focus S comes standard with traction control which uses both the ABS module and the PCM torque control to control the vehicles motion relative to the intended course. This is done through two ways: 1) the ABS module continuously monitors and compares the rotational speed of the drive wheels in relation to the non-driven wheels. At the same time, the ABS module calculates how much engine torque reduction is required to eliminate the wheel slip. In snowy (+2-3?), icy or slippery surfaces where both front tires are equally in the same condition, the ABS module modulates brake pressure to both brake caliper (s) to stop any wheel spin. 2) at the same time, the ABS module sends a message to the PCM to reduce the engine torque to the requested level. With both brakes being applied and engine torque reduced to a near "idle? state with the accelerator at ?full throttle?, the car immediately becomes stuck. Because the Ford Focus S does not have the ability to disable the traction control, my wife and kids have continuously been stranded in a car that will apply the brakes and reduce the engine RPM"S resulting in a car that will not move in extremely dangerous situations. As a consequence, the car has been required to be towed many times in below zero conditions because we are unable to disable the traction control. Death or severe injury is our concern because "by design", the car becomes disabled when snowy intersections and highways are encountered. Our disabled vehicle could result in any oncoming traffic to slam into our vehicle.

- Mulberry, IN, USA