CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 11 of 23)

Oct 052015

Focus

The automatic transmission and clutch shifts irregularly and "stutters" on starts and occaisonally when driving at relatively constant speeds. Accelleration is uneven when it does this and the performance is hard to predict. This makes merging onto freeways, entering cross traffic, and other time/performance critical maneuvers uncertain. The car has been seerviced three times for this issue and has had the transnmissionb reprogrammed twice and a clutch is on order.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 272015

Focus

My car is having a clutch issue. The dealership has confirmed the problem, reports I am on a list for a fix, but the parts are on back order. They have stated that currently, they are fixing (though not always successfully) issues diagnosed in May. Dealer reports they cannot state the current problem (that I cannot get fixed timely) will not impact the car/car's performance long term. The car jerks and lurches when shifting gears. I would compare it to a person trying to drive stick shift for the first time or learning but it is an automatic car. It happens a lot, when in motion. I have gotten stuck in reverse and have not been able to move when in reverse. The jerking issues feel like I am getting whiplash.

- Marysville, OH, USA

Nov 042015

Focus

I purchased my 2014 Ford focuse SE hb in February of 2015. Around 13,000 miles the car began erratically shifting in second and third gear while driving. Having trouble stopping and going again at stop lights. After waiting 8 weeks to get a "new" clutch, the next day the car was grinding horribly when turning. Took it back in and they said it was "fixed" now. The car is still having shifting problems and drives very hard on both city and highway. I have noticed the car lunging forward when attempting to stop, making me very uneasy for my safety in this vehicle. When I asked them to fix it again they said there was nothing they could do, that they didn't see anything wrong with the car.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 192015

Focus

From a stop the vehicle has a major problem with acceleration 0-30 seems to be where it's at. The vehicle shudders, revs rpms, de-accelerates, slow to accelerate to speed, and has a metal grinding sound on acceleration. This is not once or twice this is every time that the car has to slow down and pick back up speed. I am afraid to pull out into traffic B/C I don't know that my car will make it up to speed fast enough to not get me rear-ended. The car shakes like it's going to fall apart when we accelerate and almost feels like it doesn't want to go into gear. This is the second Ford vehicle that this has happened to my first was a 2012 that had a recall Ford wouldn't honor until the part broke and left me stranded on a bridge on my way home from work at night. This is a 2014 that I'm afraid to drive around in with me child B/C it feels as if the car is going to drop my transmission in the middle of the road. I'm also reading that it has problems braking with this acceleration issue and will jolt out into traffic at a stop light. This is from every stop getting ready to accelerate again. My car only has maybe 10,500 miles on it and I've only had it maybe 8 months. Ford says they will keep fixing it if it breaks under warranty, but my warranty is only so long then I have to pay for Ford' mess up out of my pocket. I don't have that kind of money.

- Omega, GA, USA

Dec 222015

Focus

My 2014 Ford Focus began lurching, shuddering and stalling a few months after I bought it in October 2014. I took it to the dealership and it was fixed. Ford even extended the warranty on certain transmission parts to 100,000 miles. The problems have come back, and for four months I've called my dealership to get this fixed. Every time they tell me that Ford will not send parts to dealers so they can't fix the problem. These transmission problems are rampant with the automatic dual clutch transmissions Ford installed in focuses and fiestas, and it's time for a recall. These are dangerous problems, and Ford has chosen to remain silent and refuse to provide solutions.

- Denton, TX, USA

Dec 202015

Focus

Please assist with investigating the Ford dsp6 automatic transmission installed in the Focus and fiesta. This transmission is unsafe for operation. Defects can cause lose of power while accelerating, delayed shifting with grinding and shuddering, slipping into neutral, and surging/ difficult to control at low speeds. Ford is well aware of this issue and has offered several "bandaids" none of which has permanently corrected the issue. The transmission suffers from poor driveability and electrical issues. I am afraid that the delay in acceleration/ shudder/ powertrain stumble will cause an accident one day. I had my clutch replaced under warranty however the symptoms have returned. Ford has been less than responsive to its customers, dealer can be difficult to work with as the issues are not always immediately reproducible. This is a major issue that will unfortunately cause someone to lose their life. Please hear the warnings from concerned dps6 owners and immediately open an investigation.

- Sewaren, NJ, USA

Dec 202015

Focus

Car hesitates, shudders, fails to move, engine revs without moving, sounds terrible at times..

- Arlington, WA, USA

Aug 162015

Focus

Shifting issues with the 6speed automatic transmission. Car shifting is erratic when starting from a stop, or traveling in a highway condition. Car revs, shutters and stutters. It is very unsafe. I contacted dealership and was told they know about it, but I cannot get my car serviced until 6 months from now. It seems that this issue is getting worse, and while I wait to address issue, I fear that more damage is happening to my vehicle. I may impact more parts on my new car that will cost me money, or worse it will result in a transmission failure which will leave me stranded where I am concerned for my safety, or the safety of a family member. This has been ongoing and increasing since August 2015

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Nov 252015

Focus

When the car accelerates from a stop, the car shudders and vibrates and has a rattling noise. I have taken this car three times for this problem. The Ford dealer has told me that there is a problem with the Focus. They told me that it's an automatic with a manual transmission.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Nov 022015

Focus

When taking off from a stop, the car feels like its slipping, jumping and jerking. Making it scary to pull out when traffic is coming. Three service managers at three dealerships have all said its the transmission design and that Ford is aware of the problem but doesn't have a fix other than to replace the clutches in the automatic transmission approximately every 12,000 to 15,000 miles

- Union, KY, USA

Mar 052015

Focus

Shudder in first to second gear losing power with engine or transmission; loss of speed and shaking and no accerlation from stop to start; loss of power and auto jumps up and down without going anywhere.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 282015

Focus

Purchased a 2014 Ford Focus in August 2015, for our daughter who is currently away to college. She states that the car "shudders" all the time when being driven. As a parent this is a huge concern, I investigated the Ford Focus and it didn't take long at all to determine that there are several thousand others in the same condition, as stated earlier our daughter is away at college so it is impossible for us to take care of this situation now. This is very dangerous as several complaints reports state the car loses excelleration and will stall when being driven. Please please help before something really bad happens !!!!!!!!! from what I'm reading Ford is refusing to take action, also reported this to simmons/rocwell where we purchased the car and they stated that other Ford Focus cars that were purchased had tests ran and "no issues" we're determined yet they all reported to have the exact same complaints!!!! I need help as to where do we go from here !!

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Nov 262015

Focus

Vehicle quit accelerating while trying to make a turn into oncoming traffic. Engine didn't die but coasted for 2-4 seconds. Severe transmission shudder and grinding in separate incidents. Has been to dealer 4 times and they can't determine the problem.

- Danville, IL, USA

Dec 082015

Focus

2014 Ford Focus SE with 6 speed automatic dual clutch (ddg) transmission, vehicle is 15 months old with approximately 16,600 miles on it. The transmission has developed severe shuddering hesitation and clunking especially in low gears at low speeds. Vehicle acceleration is unpredictable at low speeds and may pose a safety hazard due to loss of power or possible unintended acceleration. Vehicle has been serviced by the original selling dealership numerous times under warranty with no positive outcomes. Dealership has recommended that the transmission be removed from the vehicle and serviced internally, but they state they have not been able to furnish the appropriate replacement parts for over a month.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Oct 032015

Focus

Vehicle transmission shakes, shudders, or pulses on initial acceleration within city traffic. Misses shifts causing car to surge or hesitate in traffic. Two software updates and replacement of clutch assembly reduced but did not eliminate the issue. Drivability is extremely poor and unpredictable particularly in stop and go traffic.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Dec 042015

Focus

Takata recall. I have a 2014 Ford Focus bought may of 14, today I was driving down road my check engine light came on & my transmission stopped pulling. Put it on computer at auto zone it says clutch sensor. Won't even go in gear now. I have 73,000 miles 13,000 past warranty. I am not happy. Also my drivers seatbelt sometimes won't latch.

- Malden, MO, USA

Jul 292015

Focus

I purchased this vehicle from a reputable dealership in town as a used vehicle but with only 20K miles on it. The dealership refused to let me test drive it on the highway citing dealership rules. Everything seemed to work fine. One week after getting car home it began shuddering and failing to accelerate only to rapidly shift gears once it figured out what it wanted to do. When trying to enter highway the car would run through 4 gears before hitting mph causing horrible and sluggish performance. When finally get up to 55 mph or more, the car shutters so bad it is making other parts fall apart and come loose...like the steering and A/C not working properly...I have to go 80 just to get it to reduce slightly. I called up dealer and demanded they repair. Dealer reset transmission to factory defaults which fixed nothing. Took car in 3 more times when finally they admitted it was a clutch issue and put me on a back order list. I waiting 3 months while having to drive an unsafe vehicle but it finally was replaced. To no ones surprise the car performs worse now then it did. Took back to dealer 2 more times, to which I was told the clutch has a 1000 mile break in period. I asked then why didn't anyone say that when I picked it up. Spoke with service manager who keeps trying to tell me they can duplicate the problem...I asked why is it I have the problem 100% of the time I drive it but it never seems to happen when you have it.... I even tried demonstrating but they literally just ignored me and said they didn't hear anything or feel anything...I have reached out to class action lawyers for details on how to sue and get car paid for taken back so I can get a safe car....otherwise I have to drive a known safety hazard.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jun 102014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and make an abnormal noise. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 172015

Focus

I bought a 2014 Ford Focus last month with 27K miles and it shudders in lower gears upon take off and then vibrates. The longer the car runs the worse it gets. I am afraid to drive the car long distances or long periods of time for fear of mechanical failure. The dealership reset the transmission control module to "learn my driving habits" but that did not work. I was told to drive it for 500-1000 miles before it would fix itself. It is still doing it after the tcm reset. I am taking it back again because it is not safe or reliable to drive.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 182015

Focus

Car has under 9000 miles and bought brand new with 12 miles from dealership 9 months ago. Dealership said nothing was found wrong during several test drives. Experienced crunching/grinding sound, and slipping during acceleration from standstill, jumping/jittering effect until speed was obtained. Made trip to dealership on personal time with the significant other. Met up with service dept. General manager, took a little drive and too one's surprise, was able to fully replicated the original issues without fail. It is currently being fixed as of writing this. Did further research and come to find out thousands of complaints being filed against Ford Motor Company about this very issue. Some have raised concerns about unexpected acceleration issues and fears of driving according to documented, readable online complaints. How many have to die before Ford is held accountable. This is a proactive concern not a reactive what happen issue! will not be losing our family due to corporate cover up.

- Alice, TX, USA