Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 15 of 21)

Mar 012015

I have owned my Ford Focus for about 1 year- it's a 2014 model. I bought the car after I was told it would not have the same problems as my 2012 Ford fiesta, which I traded in for a Focus after having the transmission completely rebuilt because of transmission problems. The dealer who sold me the car had suggested I go to a Ford Focus and told me the transmission was different from my fiesta. He clearly was not honest with me about this issue and now, I have started experiencing the same problems Ford Focus as early as last month; the same issues that led them to rebuild my fiesta transmission, which did not end up fixing the issue. It has begun shaking and grinding when accelerating. It grinds while in motion at speeds below 40 miles per hour. I have been doing research and have been finding that several reports and law suits have been filed with no response. I am filing a complaint in hopes that something will be done about this. It is not ok that these cars are being sold.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Feb 162015

Focus 4-cyl

The 2014 Ford Focus has a problem with the transmission. It lurches as slow speed of less than 20 mpg and it hunts for a gear when passing other cars (50 to 60 mph). The transmission is two three speed manual transmissions shifted electronically and it does not work. I would imagine there have been accidents because if you are not ready to catch the car when it lurches it will run into other vehicles. I have taken the car back to two different dealerships and neither one of them can fix the problem. What I think needs to happen is Ford needs to get an engineer that understands how to program the transmission and spend some time working with the shift points.

- Rushville, IN, USA

Aug 102014

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,588. Updated 6/4/15 the consumer stated the vehicle would stall, shudder and slip out of gears. Updated 12/17/15.8jb

- Louisville , KY, USA

Apr 152015

Vehicle shakes, hesitates, shudders from stop and at slow speeds. Very jerky and inconsistent shifting through the first 2 to 3 gears. Not as apparent at speeds over 25mph.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Feb 192014

Transmission slippage, bucking, kicking, jerking, rough engagement, sudden acceleration, delay in downshifts, shuddering and delayed acceleration.

- Kemah, TX, USA

Apr 012015

Transmission feels like it is slipping upon acceleration. Feels like driving in high gear, lots of jumping & jerking.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

Jun 032014

Focus 4-cyl

Within the first few hundred miles I drove the car I noticed that when I was at highway speed and tried to accelerate the car acted like it couldn't get in gear and go. The acceleration was delayed dramatically. That has continued ever since. More recently from a dead stop when I accelerate the car shudders, makes loud, odd noises and accelerates with difficulty. This car is a danger to me and to others.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 202014

Focus 4-cyl

The Ford Focus has had shifting issues since first purchased. Ford performed a reprogramming of the computer module, did not solve the problem. Ford repaired the clutch and it seemed to solve the problem for a few months. The sluggish shifting reappeared a few months after the repair conducted on battlefield Ford (va). Took the vehicle to ted britt, Ford chantilly va, according to the technician the problem could not be replicated. "Ford states that some shifting lag is acceptable" of concern is that I've owned a Ford, Ranger/Fusion/Explorer/ Ford Fusion hybrid, none of these vehicles have this issues with shifting. Its Ford going to wait until someone gets seriously hurt?

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Nov 042013

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission shudders upon acceleration. On numerous occasions the car has almost stalled out almost causing us to be rear ended. I have taken the car to the dealer, the first time they replaced the clutch assembly. 2nd time they had to reprogram the part that was replaced. Car is currently in the shop awaiting outcome this time. Very upsetting considering this is supposed to be a reputable company that has been around for many years. I am very disappointed and I hope they do recall on these transmissions.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 082014

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle on multiple occasions has slipped/stalled when trying to accelerate. Sometimes it is from a dead stop and sometimes it is at speed. Car will shudder, high rev and not shift, start to go and stall. I feel unsafe in this vehicle and Ford has not corrected the problem.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 012014

The car's transmission has acted up almost since the very beginning when I purchased the vehicle. This was my very first brand new car and was unaware of the car sounds and how it feels when driving it. However, a problem in the transmission started getting more noticeable as time passed by, suddenly it would slip and hesitate at low speeds. I couldn't believe it since I've had the car for only a few months. I recently took it to the Ford dealership and all they did was reprogram the computer and gather information for the Ford manufacturer. Now the car is even worse than before and doing things it did not do before I took it in. I want the Ford manufacturer to buy back this vehicle; I don't feel secure in it anymore and I don't consider it a reliable way of transportation anymore. I'm strongly considering not to go for another Ford vehicle ever again, I'd rather go with other makes and models. My experience with Ford had been bad, I had this car for only a year and only 11,000 miles and I'm already dealing with the transmission.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 222014

Focus 4-cyl

On several occasions (while pulling into traffic). From a stop the transmission revs but car will not accelerate. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. This car was purchased new for my daughter so she would have a safe reliable vehicle to drive to school. A transmission causing a loss of acceleration while in normal driving conditions is not safe or reliable.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Mar 292015

When pulling forward out of a gas station, I hit the accelerator, the car started shuttering and jumping, then reed up to 3,000 RPM after I took my foot off the gas, I was only trying to go forward about 20 feet. It then kept going without any input from me as the driver. I had to hit the brake all the way down to stop it and prevent the car from going into another vehicle. The car then shifted really hard and almost lurked my passenger into the dashboard. This transmission is not safe and this was not the first time it has happened.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Aug 012014

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicles transmission was making noises, shuttering and hesitating when taking off. I took it to the dealer 3 times and finally on the third time (after getting the regional Ford customer service representative involved) they told me that they had to replace the automatic clutch. They kept the car for a week and when I got it back I have to admit it drove better. However now 9 months and 15K miles later the transmission is making the same noises again and it is not shifting properly. The vehicle is doing exactly what it did when it only had 400 miles on it. I did some research and found out that a lot of people are having this same problem with the Ford Focus.

- League City, TX, USA

Mar 212015

While taking turns at 10 - 15 mph speed and/or while accelerating from a stop, the vehicle gives out a series of rattling noises with the transmission. This seems to occurs at no / partial throttle being applied. At times, while accelerating from stop, the vehicle shatters quite strongly. The shudder is pretty strong when it occurs when accelerating from a stop on an incline.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 212015

Focus 4-cyl

We were sitting at a stop light on a slight incline (no more than a driveway). When the light turned green, I took my foot off of the brake and the car started rolling backward. I applied normal gas pedal and it still rolled back. I gave it more throttle for a second and the transmission finally caught. Fortunately, we avoided rolling into the car behind us. The car probably rolled back three or four feet before engaging. Since the car was purchased new, it shudders when leaving a stop, and has a grinding noise in the front when going uphill and turning to the left. In other words, it has the same issues as all of the other complaints people have posted online. When we bought the car, we were told that after a 1,000 or so miles of driving, the transmission would "learn" our driving habits and be smooth..........right. When I talked to the local Ford dealer's service dept., I was told these are just characteristics of these transmissions. If these are properties of a normal Ford dual-clutch transmission, they should be ashamed.

- Dixon, CA, USA

Mar 122015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 65 mph, the transmission failure warning light illuminated and the vehicle started to hesitate and shake. The vehicle was brought to a complete stop and failed to shift into reverse. The next day, the vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000. The VIN was not available.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Mar 112015

Focus 4-cyl

Hello I purchased my 2014 Ford Focus Sept 1, 2014 decided to get a Ford being that I've had nothing but Toyota corollas in the past and a Plymouth neon that was given to me but prefer corollas anyways soon after I was driving it I noticed a jerking, revving on take off at first I thought ok it's just me but when my sisters noticed it and my brother while he took it to the store that's when I knew it wasn't just me. The car feels like it has no power upon take off which makes me really uncertain and afraid I don't feel insure letting anyone ride with me. I drive up ortega hwy a lot since my son lives in mission viejo it's a very up hill ride the car jerks a lot and again has no power I literally have to give it gas for it to move. I have taken it in twice now to get checked and both times they performed a update on the engine was what I was told and that the car was fine. I am not happy with my car I feel that I got ripped of they should discontinue this cars instead of selling them they are very hazards and should not be out on the roads. I am continuing making my payments since I don't want it to affect my credit buy I am not to happy since the car I thought was in good standards is not I wish I would of known this when I was buying this type of vehicle I was never informed of the kind of transmission I know that I did tell them I want a automatic not a dual automatic and standard transmission not a happy person right now. Very disappointing.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Mar 082015

My Ford Focus ev shut down with no reason while I was driving, it happened twice in a week. Even after I updated the software. While rebooting took move than one minute, after I tried to turn off everything, the power was still on for a while.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 012014

There is a grinding noise and shuddering issues with the vehicle. The car has very poor acceleration at times as the transmission seems to slip. Now at 10,000 Ford is going to replace the clutches. However, I am still driving the car as the parts are back ordered so I assume this is a common issue.

- East Greenbush, NY, USA