CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 23)

Nov 272016

Focus

Jerking, shuttering transmission from standstill... since I purchased the vehicle new.

- Smithfield, RI, USA

Nov 182016

Focus

From the first week I had the car something has been wrong with the transmission. It jerks and doesn't accelerate like it should, makes a horrible crunching sound. Several times I have been in the turning lane and had ample room to turn before a car got to me but the car jerks and stalls so that I have almost been hit because it has no power. The dealer had the car for a week, said they "couldn't replicate" what I reported. It doesn't do it every time but if they really drove it for a week, it would happen. Everyone who ever rides in the car with me asks why it chugs like it does. I'm going to get into a wreck one day because I should have plenty of time to make my turn but the car stalls and chugs so much that it takes much longer than it should to get safely into where I am turning. It makes me pick a date below, but this is a several times a week for 3 years occurrence.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Nov 032016

Focus

On accelleration the vehicle shutters and rumbles and doesn't "go". I don't have the gas mileage for this vehicle that was advertised as this rumbling and shuttering stalls the movement and created a sort of push back and causes the RPM's to skip and jump. It happens so much at times I can't seem to move the car and I worry that I will be stalled during an intersection or attempt to get out of traffic flow. My car has 42,000 miles at this point. It happens every time I drive and every time the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gears. I have a "power transmission".

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 102016

Focus

I purchased this Focus in September of 2013. Little did I realize that this was probably one of the worst mistakes I made in my life thus far. I didn't even have the car 3 months before the transmission issue started happening. I don't drive erratic or aggressive I have taken the car to the dealership 12 times for the same issue since I have bought it, to the point that I have made friends with some of the guys there. The clutch has been replaced 4 times and the module has been reprogrammed and everything that Ford claims will "fix" the issue. It has not been fixed, the most recent time I took the car to fix it I couldn't accelerate onto the highway because the gears wouldn't grab after second, then the car stalled and the engine shut off, so I had to nurse the car to the side of the road and restart it and I finally made it to the dealership. I called Ford, and the bad thing is, is that they know that this problem exists they just don't want to do anything because they know that they will lose money. I finally spoke to a rep at Ford that directed me towards the BBB because she found out that I was in the military, saying that the military members shouldn't have to deal with things like this because we do so much for the country. I have contacted the BBB and they finally said that they will have a resolution within 14 days from yesterday. And what is really alarming is that the only reason I found out about the BBB option is because of my military service. It is ridiculous because I know this issue is nationwide and Ford wants nothing to do with it. It is sad to say like with the issue that Toyota had with their cars is that someone has to die and sue Ford before this issue will get resolved, unless you want to take direct action against Ford.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Oct 172016

Focus

This is the second Ford Focus I have purchased and have had problems with manual transmission. I feel the dealer should of told me that the problem was not taken care of before selling me another vehicle that was still having problems. When starting out at a stop sign the car shimmies, and sputters before getting any power.

- North Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Nov 132014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced hesitation, jerking, and shuttering while being operated at lower speeds. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed as a shuttering transmission. The remedy was not provided. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was approximately 10.

- Elmora, PA, USA

Nov 012016

Focus 4-cyl

2014 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transmission issues. The consumer stated the vehicle had no power, it jerked and slipped upon take off. When driving up a hill, the vehicle went very slow.

- Southgate, KY, USA

May 012016

Focus

Transmission hesitation from a stop position to start an accelration.

- Col, OH, USA

Nov 102014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate and the transmission would slip. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis where it was diagnosed that the transmission crank had failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Oct 122016

Focus

The vehicle shifts between gears bad, sometimes late and sometimes not at all. Also the vehicle does not shift past third gear. This is not a one time issue, the car continues to operate this way.

- Edina, MN, USA

Nov 022016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle jerked violently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 012016

Focus 4-cyl

12,771 miles, starter replaced. 14,207 miles, fuel pump replaced. 18,249 miles fuel pump replaced and transmission control module reprogram for failure. 19,999 miles replace clutch and starter motor assembly. About 24,000 miles, car no start, battery replaced "bad battery". 29,975 miles car no start, jumped to start. 31,500 miles no start, battery replaced "bad battery". approx 32,750 miles, replace clutch and whatever else they may find. This car stutters in first gear (automatic transmission) when it was purchased it was fine and then a month later it started to shake and stutter on acceleration from a stop, whether in traffic or in the driveway. Ford told us that it was a "smart transmission" and that it had to get used to two people driving the car although I am the primary driver. New "clutch pac" only temporarily solves the problem and then it starts all over again after a month or so. We have also had a no starting issue. We received a letter from Ford about it, but they cant seem to help and wont replace tcm because they say the dealers can't show the part is malfunctioning.

- Winsted, CT, USA

Oct 222016

Focus

I purchased a certified 2014 Ford Focus in August 2015 with 48K miles. Drove it like two weeks without any issue, afterwards this terrible jerking, grinding and shudder noise started when accelerating from a stop sign or try to slow down and accelerate near speed bumpers or when accelerating while getting a turn. I took it to the dealer. They did a software update and said it needs to drive 1000 miles or so to automatically reprogram the transmission's computer by understanding my driving patterns. I felt some improvement compared to how it used to jerk while changing gears in low gears. But still shudder (or grinding) noise can be hear once in a while when accelerating from a stop or driving low speeds at speed bumps or while getting a 90 deg turn. Most recently I felt a massive jerking and grinding noise again during a cold day when temp below 50F for the first time in the fall this year. This time it is pretty bad and I donT feel safe driving specially when it is snowing...!! Ford need to fix these cars asap..!!

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 252016

Focus

Our Ford Focus has been chugging and slipping on start from a stop. Ford has replaced the clutch and now 5 months later the clutch needs T be replaced again. Ford isn't honoring the extended power train. This is a none defect and a real safety issue

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Mar 202016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While at a stop sign and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. In addition, the gear shifter would shift into another gear independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer three times, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Baldwyn, MS, USA

Jun 242015

Focus 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2014 Ford Focus in February 2015 with 15 miles on it. Drove the car for 5 months with no issues, then in June I noticed a terrible shudder when accelerating from a stop sign. It also makes a grinding noise while trying to get in gear and take off. I have taken the car back to the originating dealership 6 times so far. I''ve had the clutch replaced, the transmission has been reprogrammed 4 times, and still no fix. I will not allow anyone to drive the car, nor will I let anyone ride with me in it due to the poor performance. The car is extremely dangerous to operate and very embarrassing to myself on the road. It has changed the way I drive other cars as well. I anticipate a shudder, lurch, jerk, grind from other cars while IM driving do to what I experience on a daily basis in this car. The time, stress and frustration this car has caused me and my family is exhausting and so disappointing. This is the first Ford that I've purchased and will definitely be my last. Word of mouth goes a long way too.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 132015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal and the rpms increased; however, the vehicle hesitated to move forward. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired. The clutch was replaced and recalibrated, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired four times for the exact same failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 6,000.

- Elk Groove, IL, USA

Jun 072015

Focus

Vehicle violently shakes when accelerating from a stationary position and when accelerating from low speed ( 10 mph)

- San Juan, TX, USA

Mar 162016

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle shuddered. After shutting off the vehicle and restarting the engine, the vehicle operated normally. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000....updated 12/28/16 updated 01/03/17.

- Riley, MI, USA

Oct 182016

Focus

The transmission hesitates when starting up, exhibits a clunking noise. Loss of power.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA