CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012016

Focus

12,771 miles, starter replaced. 14,207 miles, fuel pump replaced. 18,249 miles fuel pump replaced and transmission control module reprogram for failure. 19,999 miles replace clutch and starter motor assembly. About 24,000 miles, car no start, battery replaced "bad battery". 29,975 miles car no start, jumped to start. 31,500 miles no start, battery replaced "bad battery". approx 32,750 miles, replace clutch and whatever else they may find. This car stutters in first gear (automatic transmission) when it was purchased it was fine and then a month later it started to shake and stutter on acceleration from a stop, whether in traffic or in the driveway. Ford told us that it was a "smart transmission" and that it had to get used to two people driving the car although I am the primary driver. New "clutch pac" only temporarily solves the problem and then it starts all over again after a month or so. We have also had a no starting issue. We received a letter from Ford about it, but they cant seem to help and wont replace tcm because they say the dealers can't show the part is malfunctioning.

- Winsted, CT, USA

Oct 302016

Focus

My car has a mind of its own. I have complained to Ford many times regarding the car jumping since the day I bought it. I have been told " oh, its the way it was made." My car completely stopped on me before while I was driving with my kids in it. I took my car back to the dealer right then and they reprogram it and told me it was fine. I took my car back for the battery going to completely dead with a brand new car. Today as I'm picking up my kids my check engine light came on. I took my kids home and called my dad and was advised to get a diagnosis test ran on my car. To my surprise my car is getting a error code P090C" this is an electric problem that it seems that million of drivers have gotten that involves the clutch actuator low circuit. Why did I not receive a recall for this" I need some answers now because this car has stop before with my children with me and I will not die because of Ford. I need this issue fixed

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 142016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at low speeds. The vehicle hesitated while at a stop sign. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer replaced the clutch module, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Sep 282016

Focus

Power loss to drive train and vehicle displays "stop safely now" message. This had happened repeatedly while vehicle was in motion on public roads.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Sep 062016

Focus

When I put it in drive mode it goes back words.when I'm driving for about 20 min it shows my E brake is on and says transmission at fault and engin at fault

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 122016

Focus

Rodents are eating wires in my motor. I saw on Ford website that they are using soybased wire insulation. There is a class action that has been filed by consumer against Honda..who is using same soybased products in their manufacturing car process and has even invented a duct tape coated with a product that should detour rodents from chewing these wires if it is wrapped around the wiring inside the motor. They refuse to cover..(Ford)..and (Honda) these repairs under our manufactures warranty for defective material..which is not fair to us the consumer. It will me...Ford said....over two thousand dollars to repair. This soybased products..attract the rodents..and either should be stopped in the manufacturing of cars..or manufacture to be required to..replace..free of charge. If they repair..at my expense..rodents will only continue to be lured to my cars..wiring..to chew it up again. This could result in fires..crashes..is very dangerous situation..not to mention..costly to us the consumer. Honda would not of invented that duct tape..but they did because they knew darn well that it is attracting rodents. We all want eco friendly products..but not when it puts consumers..at grave risk. I have lived at my home for over 25 years..never..has this happened to me. This is second occurance. First time cost me under three hundred. I do not want this to cost me my or my child's life..the next time.

- Warr Acres, OK, USA

Aug 092016

Focus

Ford Focus ev- while driving the vehicle loses power and shuts down saying "please pull over safely." Have taken to the dealership twice and they cannot find a solution. Very dangerous as the vehicle stops in the middle of the road when driving!

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Aug 022016

Focus

From the date of purchase in 2014 this car hesitates upon acceleration shutters and shakes. There have been numerous times when I have felt unsafe and at risk for bodily harm. I have taken it to my dealer numerous times and have been told repeatedly "this is the worst transmission Ford has ever made." But they explain that Ford will do nothing about it. "I wish they would, everyone complains about this car." On numerous occasions while traveling between a stopped position and five, 10, or 15 miles an hour this car hesitates shakes and shimmying. I had it in a little over a month ago with the same issue. They did nothing and told me "Ford says if it falls within a certain parameter there is nothing we can do. Our hands are tied." This morning I was heading to a family funeral, pulled out of my driveway tried to accelerate and my car choked and died. I have been unable to get it restarted and had to have it towed to a different dealership hoping to get better customer service. I honestly believe there should be a class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company for this inferior product. Also, my radio has never worked correctly. If I turn the rear defrost on there is horrible static over the radio. The dealer just keeps on telling me "you have bad reception. "

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 022016

Focus

While I was driving my Ford focuse SE it lost the power at the red light. The car died on me, it was the scariest moment, I almost lost my life getting hit by another car trying to push the car to the side. Very unsafe car, would never drive that car again !

- Encino, CA, USA

Aug 252014

Focus

I have had my Focus in to be repaired four times for the clutch plate assembly shuddering/jumping/hesitating upon starting up from a stopped position.the last time it was in was March of 2016, and is now doing the same thing in June 2016. This was first noticed at 12000 miles, but not addressed until the milage was 15500. This disqualified it for the buy back with Ford through the BBB autoline. The clutch plate has been replaced twice and adjusted the sensor two other times. This is a safety concern in the event of pulling onto the interstate or in heavy traffic and does not give the acceleration needed. I have asked a couple of times for a buy back, but have been told no. Please help me and other consumers to have this issue addressed and fixed.

- Natchez, MS, USA

May 242016

Focus

First problem was the car shuddering and jerking. Ford garage, repair some transmission seals, programming, replaced fuel tank, fuel pump and engine wire harness repair. Shortly after the car began to lose ability to move when accelerating, the engine RPM's would rev and vehicle had little power to move. Ford garage replaced clutch and did programming. On the way home from that repair, our care suffered the same symptoms it was brought in for. It is currently in the shop and we have no confidence in what we will get back.

- Fine, NY, USA

Sep 302015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 65 mph, the transmission jerked excessively. The contact had to slowly remove his foot from the accelerator pedal to stop the jerking. In addition, the horn and the alarm system no longer worked. The air bag warning light illuminated on and off while the contact was driving. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- Tannersville, PA, USA

Apr 052016

Focus

My vehicle has had numerous transmission problems, going into reverse while driving, shutting off while driving, etc. Recently, the power steering completely went out and reverted to manual steering. Today, while driving it for a while, I noticed a burning smell and pulled over. Under the hood, the fuse box had caught fire, but was blown out by the wind when I opened the hood. 20,500 miles.

Mar 212016

Focus

Since day one this car's transmission has not worked properly. I should have just brought it right back to the dealer that day. It has been back 4 times for transmissions issues: Shuttering at take off, accelerates on its own without your foot on the gas, keeps changing gears when trying to accelerate on a highway, lurches forward when moving slowly (pulling into a gas station), rpms go up when you take your foot off of the gas and do not drop back down again until you are at a complete stop. The front brakes are completely worn. I see these complaints on the internet over and over again. Today we were driving the car on a highway and it just stopped accelerating. Had to pull over very quickly to get over to the shoulder safely. Motor was still running with an engine fault message was displayed. Ford's roadside assistance doesn't even cover getting your car off of a toll road and living in NJ they are hard to avoid. The dealer says that that is the way the car drives. They write up the paper work very vague and never put the correct description for the issues. The car goes in and out of the service department - programming update. There are 479 complaints for this car on just this site for mostly the same issue. The other 2 cars I own have 0 and 35 complaints on this site - big difference. My last Ford.

- Lanoka Harbor, NJ, USA

Nov 222015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While the vehicle was parked, an abnormal sound was heard from the engine and the driver side fog light illuminated independently. In addition, while driving at various speeds, the radio turned on and off independently. The failures recurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failures was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

Dec 292015

Focus

While accelerating in traffic yesterday evening a warning appeared on the display panel "stop safely now". I was unable to exit the roadway immediately due to traffic and the vehicle would not accelerate while approaching a traffic light. The engine operating indicator (a green car with arrows pointing forward and back) was no longer on but accessories on the car worked properly (e.g. headlights, power steering, etc) I put the car in park and attempted to turn off the car with the brake pedal engaged in an attempt to restart but car would not turn off. I was able to eventually push the car off of the roadway into a parking lot. The car's ignition turned off once I was back in the vehicle and the door closed. I powered the car on after it had fully shut down and it returned to operating normally. Please note: This is the all-electric Ford Focus. Thank you. Updated 1/28/16

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Nov 042015

Focus

Vehicle's transmission shifts into other gears while in drive. Three separate times it has went into reverse. Twice while coming from a stop, once while in mid drive. My vehicle was in the shop a total of 57 days so far this year, got it back on Friday after a field service engineer came to look at it. They were unable to replicate any issues with the transmission, but would not certify it as "safe." Today, I was driving at 65 mph on the highway when the engine revved high and the dash display showed I was in park. It limped to a stop on the highway then flashed "transmission not in park P" before it shut down. After calming my nerves just a bit, I was able to restart the vehicle. I was about 4 miles from the dealership and was able to drive it (slowly) to them. I was able to snap a photo showing the vehicle in park doing 65mph with an RPM of 3500. However, from previous experience, this is not "proof" if the issue is not duplicated by Ford directly. So to date at 19,970 miles, the vehicle has went out of gear 4 times. The vehicle stopping on a highway by going into reverse and park is not a safe condition that could lead to a crash.

Oct 262015

Focus

Car intermittently stalls when the clutch pedal is depressed. This can occur at a stoplight or at freeway speed.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 262015

Focus

Vehicle has had a red fluid leak for quite some time. The car has been back to the dealership for this issue many times and currently filing lemon law arbitration. The car has been out of commission for 55 days altogether since it's purchase in January this year due to the fluid leak which seems to be more of coolant than anything else. It is burning oil and or losing it somewhere that isn't visible. It also has had electrical problems with starting as well as the radio clock and presets all resetting after sitting for more than 24 hours. I have had to have the sunroof resales after it had leaked for over two months and the dealership wasn't able to find the leak. The front end makes horrible noises when decelerating. It grinds and whines as if something is about to blow up. I've taken it into the dealer for all of these concerns and only one of them has been resolved fully. I'm very disappointed in my purchase.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Sep 302015

Focus

When I take off from being stopped, my car drags with a vibration. When I pick up speed on the freeway my car slides to the left and I lose the control of the steering. My phone numbers have never been able to be sync to my car because the electrical part is defective. My tires light stays on off and on. It feels as if something is getting loser under the rear of my car. On fox 2 news this morning, they announced a recall on Ford car axles. Today is October 1, 2015. The date of the last incident is given below. But I have been having problems for a while. When I took my car to the dealership about the light and tires, they just reset it. They didn't take time to test drive it and really address my problems with this car. I don't want to have a accident or die in my car. I would like to get these problems taken care of.

- Detroit, MI, USA