CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jan 302014

Focus

I bought this car brand new. I'm a single mom with a tight budget so I was looking for a very dependable car. I started noticing acceleration problems after the first few weeks of buying the car. When I would go drive up the ramp on to the freeway, I wasn't able to speed up with the flow of traffic. This caused extreme safely issues as drivers would honk and get backed up because I wasn't able to accelerate. I also noticed a clicking sound when within the first few seconds of accelerating after a stop. It sounded like something was loose or broken in the engine. My mom came to visit after 2 months of having the car. She drove the car and said this doesn't seem right, take it in. So I brought it to my Ford dealer. I said this car does not drive safe. I don't feel safe driving with my 5 year old daughter. They said they would fix it at no cost. They had the car for 10 days. Once I got the car back, I still noticed some of the same problems, but the mechanic told me "it will take about 1000 miles more before the engine starts to run normal." That wasn't very satisfying to hear. Presently, I still have the car. It still has safety issues. I don't drive long distances in it, because I don't feel safe. I am very disappointed with Ford Motor Company. I've saved up hard earned money to have a dependable/safe car for my daughter and I and I have the exact opposite. I will never purchase a Ford again.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 162014

Focus 4-cyl

Car shudders on acceleration from a stop and jerks and lunges upon acceleration from a slowdown. Transmission slips gears and also hits a dead spot causing a lack of acceleration around gear 2-3. RPM's rev up with no acceleration and then drops quickly with a hesitation before a reduction of speed. Car can lunge when pressing accelerator when you don't want it to go that hard and the opposite happens on highway merges when you need the car to go and it won't due to the transmission bottoming out. Problems get worse the longer and farther you drive the car. Had at the dealer 3 times now, reprogrammed clutch last time but say the issues found are "normal" and that Ford made the transmission to do just as the problems state to make the car feel more like a manual than an automatic. This car is an accident waiting to happen and Ford isn't doing anything about it.

- Springville, IN, USA

Dec 012014

Focus 4-cyl

2014 Ford Focus SE has a hesitation on acceleration (perhaps transmission or engine computer) that has on multiple occasions while merging into heavy traffic, creating hazardous situation. The consumer stated several reprogram functions were performed by the dealer. The consumer stated frequently, on a cold start-up, when he shifted from reverse to drive the vehicle hesitated briefly as if it was not in the correct gear.

- Melrose, FL, USA

Oct 152014

Focus

It started up around 1500 miles. The car would make a sound as if I was dragging plastic under it when I come to a stop or reverse. When I get on the freeway the car would rev to high rpms then it would slip like as if it missed a shift. I have a problem where I come to a stop and the car catches up with itself and lurches forward where I have to slam my breaks. When coming off a stop I really have to put my foot to the pedal to get the car up to 25mph. Seems to be a lack of power. I have taken it in to Ford already, they told me it would take up to 3 days. It was done the same day. They said they had to re-program the system. After they did this it seemed to accel and brake a lot better. It did not fix my grinding/rattling sound in the engine/transmission like I had told them it had. I told them it sounded like a shutter or clutch issue. Every where I look it says they are investigating the problem. They have been for the last 2 years on these models and still nothing. Its coming to a point im afraid to drive it.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 172014

Focus

I purchased my first brand new 2014 Ford Focus about the end of September 2013. Being that I was driving a prior clunker and then I started to drive this new fancy and exciting car, I figured I wasn't too familiar with driving something new! as soon as I drove it the transmission or as I say the front of the car would do a jerking almost like a whiplash type movement no matter what speed I was driving. I took the car into the dealership and they tell me that it needs to update the computer software. I immediately have the same issues after that car was returned back to me and when I took it in this time they now tell me I broke the cvt/ or the clutch" this car was sold as an automatic but I later find out that it shifts like a manual to save on gas??" I would have never purchased this vehicle if I was aware of this detail. My husband is now terrified for me to drive the car. I'm beyond disappointed in Ford and its ignorance to knowingly place the public in a potential dangerous situation and a financial problem as well. All my husband and I truly want is to be placed in a safe vehicle, especially since we have poured our hard earned money into a trusted company that is doing a good job with promoting a terrible reputation thus far.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

May 162014

Focus

Car began to make a grinding noise when turning corners and when I'm driving slowly. It sounds also like I am dragging something, like tin cans. It also shudders when I press on the accelerator, almost like it is going to die. This is not a safe situation. The clutch on my car has already been replaced and the car is a 2014!

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Jul 312014

Focus

On 7/31/14, my Ford Focus hatchback accelerated while parking and crashed into a high chain-link fence. Significant front end damage to the vehicle was repaired. The airbags never deployed when I hit the fence and small tree and I was lucky that no one was near the car when it malfunctioned.subsequently, the car has been parked! I have tried to communicate with Ford Motor Co. By fax, letter and phone over the last 2 months.the dealership wants nothing to do with this car. We are reluctant to sell and want this car off the market. We have no voice. I continue to read all complaints on your site. When are you going to do anything about it! I can't put my grandkids in this car and I don't want anyone's child in this car.please call me. We need to get this car off the market before someone is injured or worse!

- Plainville, CT, USA

Feb 282014

Focus 4-cyl

I bought my car new back in feburary 2014. It does all kinds of things!! it does not shift right. It jerks, slips, revs high. If you need to accelerate it doesn't ever gear down correctly, either too much or not enough. It has completely stalled at intersections and would not move. It would not even rev up. I had to have it towed. It has accelerated into traffic at a red light, twice!! and each time did not have brakes. My children were in the car and it was a near miss. My children could have been killed!! I have had it at my Ford dealership 5 times!!! yes 5 times!!! each time it runs fine and does not do anything wrong while they are checking it out. The manager of the service dept states it is like a smartphone and once you cut it off it resets so this is probably why they can't find anything wrong with it by the time they get to it. I do not feel safe driving this car. But it is my only car. I don't know what to do. My dealership state they cannot do anything. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Apr 012014

Focus

The transmission sputters when taking off from a dead stop. At a constant speed the car shifts into a higher or lower gear. Noises are made grinding noises when changing from 1-2-3 gears.

- Harrison, TN, USA

May 142014

Focus 4-cyl

The car has severe transmission issues I have almost been killed twice for being thrown out into traffic once and trying to pull out onto a busy highway. Stopping at a stop sign or red light is a nightmare, my car will stop fine, but when you go to take off it jumps and the transmission slips leaving you basically sitting in the middle of the high way barely getting anywhere then all of a sudden your car will take off and make you loose control. The rpms are all messed up if I'm driving down the road the RPM hand just dances all over the place this car is a death trap!! thanks Ford for ruining my life and sticking me with this true lemon of a car...

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Aug 202014

Focus 4-cyl

With car in cruise going down grade trans would down shift in lower gear causing car to slow and engine to over rev. Had to slow to 45 for trans to correct it`S self. Have also had issues with it in reverse jumping in and out of gear. It also jumps while at low speeds searching for the correct gear to be in.

- Rke, VA, USA

Feb 252014

Focus 4-cyl

Hesitation and bucking while accelerating, grinding noise, and rough idle.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

Aug 062014

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle shudders upon starting forward movement or when slowing or stopping and then restarting forward movement. Downshifting into lower gear and then accelerating produces a shudder, severe loss of power, must accelerate heavily or vehicle continues to shake and shimmy while not accelerating. Feels as if the engine/transmission is going to shake out of the automobile.

- Summerdale, AL, USA

Jul 312014

Focus

I was entering an eight-car parking area and decided to park a few feet ahead by a high chain-link fence. The car was almost to a complete stop and I was about to shift into park when I heard a "revving" noise from the engine. The car bolted. Braking hard, I slammed into the fence and small tree. The airbags never deployed.I sat stunned. Never experienced anything like this in all my years as a driver. I believe the car malfunctioned and there was a "sudden unexplained acceleration".fix this problem or take the car off the market!

- Plainville, CT, USA

Aug 072014

Focus 4-cyl

I was at an intersection trying to cross the road and my car hesitate to go when pressing the gas. It wouldn't go at all I was very afraid. Then finally it went and starting jerking real bad. I took it to the bondy Ford in dothan al to get it check out because I am scared to drive it and the service was so rude they didn't offer me a loaner car and lie to me saying my platinum warranty didn't cover a rental car !!!!! wow I told the service guy that I will call my warranty customer service number then he reptile come in let me see what I can do I will call for you. He was so rude until he seen me getting very upset.

- Eufaula , AL, USA

Jun 022014

Focus 4-cyl

The transmission on this vehicle is faulty and the vehicle stalls out at low gears. When you stop at a stop sign or stop light, turn the steering wheel on acceleration, or back the vehicle it stalls out and then the vehicle jerks/ shakes to get back into gear. It is terribly dangerous. Ford has now attempted to fix the issue on my vehicle 3 times and has failed to do so. My vehicle has had the transmission re-sealed and on a separate occasion they have taken my transmission apart to replace the clutch at just over 6500 miles. My vehicle is in the shop for the 3 time, returning with the issues that were allegedly "repaired". the vehicle will not go on acceleration, often times - in traffic - I have been almost ran over or rear ended by other vehicles. I shouldn't have to die first, before this issue is taken care of. I bought what I thought was a nice, new, reliable and safe vehicle.. it has turned out to be a lemon that can very well end up costing my life. Many consumers have this very popular vehicle, Ford is not alerting anyone to the problems they are selling these vehicles with. The vehicle stalls out going down the road.. and to an unsuspecting driver following behind me, I could end up rear ended and seriously hurt or killed. The reviews from other Ford Focus drivers make it obvious that Ford has tried and failed over and again to fix this transmission problem. Some reviews mention how the transmission have caused them accidents, when the vehicle suddenly jerked into gear causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle. Something must be done about this. How can Ford corporate get away with this?

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jul 292014

Focus

I have noticed while driving my vehicle that it stutter and makes a loud grinding sound when I am going up inclines and when I am braking. I noticed my car is will be jerking and feels like the transmission is bout to give away when I am in traffic. I took my car back to the dealership because it was still under warranty and explained to them the issues that are going on with my car. They proceeded to tell me that my issues was normal for my car. I asked how could this be normal that a brand new car stutter, grinds, shift gears on it own, jerks when applying brakes or acceleration, and feels like transmission is slipping. I spoke with the mechanic that looked at my car and he said that my model car is like it has a manual engine in and automatic car. He stated that this was normal as far as the manufactures states but actually this is not normal. Cars should not be shifting gear automatically. This issues that my car is having are very hazardous, especially in stop in go traffic and on inclines, just driving period, in the end I feel something needs to be done about this with this making model car especially being that this is a newer model car (2014).

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

Jun 232014

Focus 4-cyl

On June 23, 2014 while traveling on the highway, the subject vehicle 'stalled' without warning. Despite attempting to restart the vehicle, the driver was unable. The subject vehicle was struck from behind causing personal injury.

- Montclair, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Focus 4-cyl

Every time I put the car in drive and start to go between 5-10 mph the car begins to stutter. Its getting progressively worse everytime I drive the vehicle. I've taken it to the shop 2-3 times already and they have only put a "bandaid" on the situation. They have only reset the transmission computer back to its default settings. I am wanting something to be repaired - actually replaced under my warranty.

- Severn, MD, USA

May 162014

Focus 4-cyl

My Ford Focus St is stalling intermittently when I push the clutch in completely or shift into neutral, it will not idle at times or it has an erratic idle swinging from 400-800 rpms wildly. My car has stalled dozens of times since the issue started including on the highway in-between shifts. Many other people seem to be having this issue with the Ford Focus St 13-14 models. I have taken it into the dealer twice and they refuse to fix the car if it does not have a trouble code, they said they were not able to reproduce the issue. One of their porters, cole, observed my car struggling to keep idle but they say one of their techs has to see it while it happens. The issue is intermittent but seems worse when it is hot, humid, or raining. The car may go 200 miles between stalling events. It seems to occur more frequently in stop and go traffic. I have recorded videos of this happening but Ford will not take any action. I've spoken with the regional csm and she says they cannot apply the known tsb fix without one of their techs observing the stalling or a trouble code registering. You can see where 20+ other people are having this issue here: www.focusst.org/forum/Focus-St-discussions/5514-your-car-randomly-stalling-idling-wierd-read.html there are over 100 pages of posts from people affected. Please help us deal with Ford who is not helping or acknowledging this safety issue! what if my car stalls while crossing traffic? updated 02/24/2015

- Joliet, IL, USA