CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 072016

Focus

Rear window blew out while driving 45mph outside temperature was 35 degrees.this happened 2 miles from home residence.so within 4 minutes of driving

- Oswego, NY, USA

Feb 112016

Focus

I baught a 2014 Ford Focus SE July 2015 since its been in and out of shop my steering wheel is getting tight while driving were I can not control plus hesitation rolling back words shuttering jerking it iv had the steering rack replaced tirods nothing worked then I got a recall letter on the tcm it needed 2 be updated did that still didn't help took it back the tcm needed to be replaced so Ford told me it will be a couple weeks but I can drive it and the tcm or trans has nothing 2 do with the steering finally got the tcm replaced few weeks later but didn't help and seemed worse I called Ford corporate they would not help at all I kept calling but same results they would not fix it with out me paying a lot of money and they would not buy it back cuz it had 70000 miles I baught it with 35000 recently I took it 2 a local shop by work they drove it told me my trans is messed up it is not shifting right and that will cause the steering wheel the mess up as well I'm afraid to drive it it risk my life and my children lives but Ford still will not help me at all this car has had 7 recalls on it I can not control the car I can not drive the car since it gets stuck and I feel like I get whip lash and I'm afraid I'm going to end up getting in to a accident the local Ford dealer told me they put the wrong trans in it that they been having issues with the trans I'm afraid I'm a be on the freeway and its just going to quit working or I'm a loose control or I will not be able to get up to speed Ford should be helping us out since there is pages of people with same issue there is investigations in to it law suits and my last thing I can do is talk to a lawyer and the news and file this complaint I been fighting with Ford calling going to dealers for 6 month now and no 1 will help not even my dealer whats it going to take some 1 2 die.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Sep 252016

Takata recall

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 272016

Focus

Clutch in automatic transmission is stalling, car shutters at 24,000 miles. Car doesn't want to go up hills, and acts mine it's stalling out when you pull out. This is my daughters car and I do not feel she is safe.

- Canton, NC, USA

Aug 232016

Focus

I bought the vehicle in 2014 new. A little less than a year after I had the car, I started having problems with the sync system that allows me to use my cell phone hands free. It will stay paired with my phone for about 3 to 4 weeks and then will drop the connection with my phone. I have had it in to the dealership 5 times and the problem is still not fixed. I have been in contact with the regional manager of Ford corporate and they are refusing to give me a buyback option so I can go purchase another vehicle that will actually work with my cell phone. It is their problem with their vehicles and they are refusing to take responsibility for a defective product.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 162016

Focus

Rear passenger door latch broke while in motion; door will not close or lock.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Feb 012016

Focus

1.transaction was sliping had to take in got it out an had to take it in for the second time for the transaction 2. took car back cuz if I honked the horn the car would die I had to put it in park and take the key out an hit the alarm reset the alarm to start the car it been in the shop going on three times now I was driving on the freeway the car died an alam light horn go off an dies on the freeway not safe at all I had to put it in park on freeway

- Reno, CA, USA

Jan 012016

Focus

Focus 2014 been in the dealer ship in fairfax..ted's for over a month now.I called 4 times and no one answers my calls or return them...I don't need the car any more since I had to buy another one..I shakes when ever you it starts moving very violently and constantly stall for no reason it's not going anywhere and have some sounds that the whole engine is about to break...the seat belt don't work all the time or the air bags offen start beeping on the dash bord...it's been a really ruff ride for a car that has less then 30000 limes on it...it's been a real problem and headache since I got it...returned it to check few time but nothing...can they pay for my car value"?? or my laon?"

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Aug 202016

Focus

I was driving in stop and go traffic and a notice came up on the screen that my transmission was hot and that I needed to stop for 5 min. I pulled over and stopped for 5 min. And began driving again, and within 5 min. The notice came back on and it smelled like fire. So I pulled over and let the car idle until traffic was gone and then since traffic was done, the notice never came back up.

- Montrose, CA, USA

Jul 212016

Focus

Yes I just recently financed a 2014 Ford Focus SE from the dealer ship in hagerstown md after two days of driving it started shifting funny I loose power it bucks and acts like it's going to stall I have children I told Ford in hagerstown they knew about the transmission problem and didn't tell us they say the transmission is junk that it needs replaced it's been over a month still have no transmission and they won't tell me why plus the car is drifting backwards I'm afraid forr I my husband and children's safety I have to travel for my work it's the only family vehicle I need some help please

- Waynesboro, PA, USA

Aug 302013

Focus

This is exactly the issue I've been having. 8/5/2016 I took my car in for the 3rd time concerning the transmission. I was told it was no longer a covered issue. When I bought the car I asked for a different one because the one I test drove literally felt like the transmission was slipping so bad I wasn't going to get it back to the dealership. I drove another one and it was better, however still shuttering. I was assured by the sales person at beechmontford this was normal, it was a new type of transmission with a dual clutch.everytime I took the car in for an oil change I complained about the transmission getting worse. I was told by 2different service department employees that Ford was aware of the issue and they were extending the warrenty.the shuttering increasingly became worse and had began a loud grinding noise and was stalling so bad at take off I was worried about having an accident because of it.the engine would rev up but wasn't going anywhere, then would jerk into gear.in December of 2015 I took my car back to beechmontford, they said it needed a new transmission control module and a new clutch.to which my car was at the dealership for 42days.because the problem is so wide spread the parts were on back order and my car was deemed to dangerous to drive.this was covered under a recall. On July 15th I took the car in and again made an appointment for the transmission.I spoke to a service person who told me that Ford is aware of the issue and there was an unbelievable amount of vehicles coming back in for the 2nd with the exact same issues and they're replacing the clutch again.on 8/5/2016 I took my car in and was then told this time Ford would not pay for the repairs.I was told again Ford's aware of the issues, Ford knows it's dangerous, yet they aren't covering it to have it fixed again. Although it was fix in December for the exact same issue under a recall.

- Felicity, OH, USA

Jan 052015

Focus

Found 2 inches standing water in passenger back seat... has been into dealer over 8 times for over 40 total days and the carpet remains wet. Now causing mold. They send it out to a special water remediation vendor and insist that the issue is corrected but when you put your hand under the carpet, even after it has not rained for a couple weeks and your hand will come out dripping water. With how many times the carpet has been pulled out and replaced it is now all stretched out and panels where they have gone into the doors and dash fall off transmission issues with shuddering and losing power, dealership repaired but issue is starting again. Loses power going up very slight hills, will lug down on the flat like it has been dropped into a lower gear. No power when trying to accelerate navigation has gone out and requires yet another trip into the service center car currently has less then 8000 miles on odometer.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

May 152016

Focus

Transmission "stutters" and car shakes when accelerating - especially from a stop. The last couple of weeks, the rpms accelerate when driving; however, the car feels like it is in neutral. When accelerating - especially from a stop - the car "hesitates" and doesn't accelerate immediately. These problems have happened continuously since I bought the car in September, 2015, and occur at varying speeds.

- Florissant, MO, USA

May 012016

Focus

When I accelerate my car hesitate, jerk like it is getting worst. Slow down when take off and while driving

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Apr 232016

Focus

Stalling, grinding, shuddering, vibrations, miss shifts, boggs at acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Dec 282015

Focus

Car hesitates, vibrates & shakes when accelerating from a stopped position to low speeds. I do a lot of city driving, highway driving, driving in rural neighborhoods. I also, on my way, to and from work have to cross a set of railroad tracks & I am so worried that my car may get stuck on the tracks, or my car won't accelerate as it should at a traffic light or stop sign & the car behind me won't stop in time & there could be an accident & I/any passengers could be injured. Bottom line: I am extremely concerned for my personal safety in a relatively new vehicle - purchased in December of 2014. I shouldn't be having these problems in such a new vehicle. The first time I took it to the dealership, it was a recall, so they reset the computer system, said it would take 1,000 miles to relearn my driving. After the 1,000 miles, it went back to the shaking, vibrating & hesitating. 2nd time bringing it in, I had the manager of the service department ride with me & he felt the shaking, so, again, they reset the system again, gave me the info about waiting 1,000 miles to reset. After the 1,000 miles, it again, began shaking, vibrating & hesitating at low speeds. The service manager gave me his card & said if I had any problems, give him a call. 3rd time bringing it in, the service department had a mechanic ride with me. Said he felt the vibrations, shaking, hesitation. While at the service desk, he then had the audacity to tell me that the program relearns bad behaviors instead of the good ones. It shouldn't matter if I'm a good or bad driver, the car should run properly. And now (3/21/16), I have felt the worst shaking, vibrating & hesitation ever. I felt incredibly unsafe today. Plus I had a passenger in my car that means a lot to me. I really hope that this issue can get resolved before something horrible happens.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 072016

Focus

The transmission is constantly slipping and making the car shutter and jerk when accelerating. The vehicle will not accelerate properly at times or will jerk forward suddenly. When in drive the vehicle will roll back slightly if on a small slope or hill. It is not safe. I will have this vehicle for two years this month and it will also be the 5th time I've had to take it in. The last time they replaced my whole clutch and here I am 6 months later having to take it in to the shop again. They keep saying that it's "normal". I honesty see nothing normal or safe about this vehicle.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 162016

Focus

My vehicle hesitates when taking off from at a stop light or stop sign. When on the high way my vehicle does not transiission from 20mph-60mph smoothly. Vehicle jerks and shakes. It is scary because I ride around with my todler and I'm afraid someone will hit us because my car stalls. Recently got the transmission module replaced at Ford delarship but issue is not resolved. I have 24,400 miles. Bought vehicle brand new. Long trips are not smooth not even from school, work and back.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 272014

Focus

The car stalls on the road there is something wrong with the transmission our car has been at the dealership for over a month, second time on the transmission jerking and stalling on the road when you would be stoped at a red light then in motion it jerked when you increased your speed, very unsafe to drive and no one is doing nothing about it. Ford can not fix the problem. Should be a national recall. Contacting our lawyers and the media. Not japordizing my family life for a car that stalls on the road.

- Okc, OK, USA

Jan 192016

Focus

While commuting to work on the highway and coming to a stop due to traffic the vehicle was hit from behind at appx 50mph. My wife saw the imminent impact a split second before it happened & tried to apply the brakes as hard as possible so as not to hit the car in front of her (appx 20-25 feet away). Nonetheless, the impact was too great. It totally destroyed the rear of our car and blew out the back glass. It also pushed our car into the car in front which damaged the right front, bent the hood in the front middle section, made the undercarriage pop out, and broke the radiator. There may have been additional front end damage but the hood was not opened at the time. What's worse, in all of this, the vehicle's air bags never deployed! so, my wife hit her head on the steering wheel twice. Moreover, the seat back broke which created a potentially paralyzing and/ or deadly condition due to her body's momentum as opposed to the car's momentum (I.e., she had no back stability)! lastly, her knees were jammed into some portion of the dash/ steering column. My wife has sustained some injuries and we are currently getting her treated.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA