CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 032016

Focus

Owned car 6 months and love it, especially the handling, until: At about 8500 miles, I started the car (on a Sunday morning-why I didn't call the dealership right away) put it in gear, pulled forward in my driveway and the steering wheel would not turn at all. I backed up and pulled forward again, and still zero steering wheel turn was possible. I turned the car off, pulled the key out, put the key in and started it again. Same actions, same result. I used our pickup truck for the day instead. I started the car again when I got home and the steering worked normally-I pulled forward and back in my driveway and parked it. The next morning, the car started just fine but again the steering wheel would not turn. I called the dealer and arranged a flat bed ride later that day. When the flat bed driver started to car to drive it onto his rig, he remarked that the car was acting just like a problem they're having in the 2015 F150, and two-handedly yanked my steering wheel hard to the left, still with no result. The wheel would not move, and I wonder what else he broke in his "bigger hammer" approach. He adjusted the position of his truck to be able to drive my car onto it without any steering available. I reported the flat bed driver's abuse of my vehicle to the dealer, where the car now sits awaiting service.

- Stone Ridge, NY, USA

May 142014

Focus

I purchased the car brand new. It started bogging out dying in slow traffic and in the middle of turns. I have had it in the shop 5 times for same issue nothing was resolved. I have almost gotten in a couple accidents when turning the car dies in the middle of street and I have almost been T boned. I sounds like the engine is going to fall out at times. Sometimes when it starts to die it excelerates and send the car forward at a fast speed. I have only had car 18 month. I am terrified to drive this car!

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Nov 112015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at 10 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the vehicle independently veered to the right. The contact stated that the steering wheel would not go back into the direction in which it was being turned. The contact then stated that the vehicle hit a curb and subsequently stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing; however, the details of the diagnosis could not be provided. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000. Update 01/13/16

- Whittier, CA, USA

Dec 192014

Focus

Traveling straight on the toll road at 70mph (speed limit) with the cruise control on the back end of the vehicle started fish tailing and went out of control into a guardrail which total the vehicle. The vehicle was just purchased a month prior. I will submit photos and documents on request.

- Portgage, IN, USA

Oct 272015

Focus

Purchased the car used with only 10K miles, after leaving dealership driving home on freeway speeds I noticed the car would not track correctly as is wanders left and right with a jerking pull requiring correction inputs the whole trip. Took car to dealership, first thing they did is rotate and balance tires. Did not fix problem. I have read of numerous reports of this same issue. When will Ford stand up to this problem before it takes someones life. The electronic steering problems are a serious and dangerous issue. I do not recommend anyone purchase any Ford Focus until this poor system is replaced, or a recall is instated to fix this serious issue.

- Port Angeles, WA, USA

Sep 202015

Focus

2014 Ford Focus with 78*** miles. Electronic power steering failed while driving at speed on the highway. Steering was very difficult to use, far more difficult than a hydraulic vehicle with a power steering failure. It felt as if something was locked up inside the steering column. Car was unsafe to drive.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

Sep 302015

Focus

When I take off from being stopped, my car drags with a vibration. When I pick up speed on the freeway my car slides to the left and I lose the control of the steering. My phone numbers have never been able to be sync to my car because the electrical part is defective. My tires light stays on off and on. It feels as if something is getting loser under the rear of my car. On fox 2 news this morning, they announced a recall on Ford car axles. Today is October 1, 2015. The date of the last incident is given below. But I have been having problems for a while. When I took my car to the dealership about the light and tires, they just reset it. They didn't take time to test drive it and really address my problems with this car. I don't want to have a accident or die in my car. I would like to get these problems taken care of.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 042015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. After the vehicle was started, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000. Updated 11/12/15

- Rockford, MI, USA

Aug 152015

Focus

I drove 200 miles, stopped for gas, and upon starting the engine there was a warning light and a loss of power steering. I drove to a hotel, unloaded our luggage, and returned to the car after 10 minutes. Upon starting the engine, I found that the warning light was out and the power steering was normal. Ten days later, the same thing happened; that is, I drove 200 miles, stopped for gas, lost the power steering, went to a hotel, and upon starting the engine the power steering had returned. Without power steering, the car was controllable but it was not easy and a frail person would have difficulty.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 012015

Focus

There was a cracking/popping sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. It has been in and out of the dealership for 2 weeks now (08/18/2015) but they have not been able to fix it. They told me that they replaced the "rack" but that the vehicle still had the same steering problems. This is after they replaced the clutches again in this vehicle. After doing some research I found that there seems to be a problem with the epas (electric power assisted steering) in these cars. This car has major problems.

- League City, TX, USA

Jul 182015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While attempting to reverse at a low speed, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle and the message steering assist failure, service required was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Badger, MN, USA

May 012015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. After starting the engine, the message steering assist failure warning message displayed on the instrument panel and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who diagnosed that the cause of the failure was due to a faulty electrical connection in the steering column. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,500. Updated 09/14/15

- Princeton, MA, USA

May 282015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. After starting the engine, the message steering assist failure displayed on the instrument panel and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was due to a faulty electrical connection in the steering column. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,500.

- Princeton, MA, USA

Jun 222015

Focus

The 2014 Ford Focus SE. My mom and I traded in another vehicle for this car. It was working fine at the first 3 months of having it, but then after the second month, the transmission on this car started to fail. It would start to shutter and cause you to have problems accelerating trying to keep up with the car ahead of me after each full stop, or during traffic hours on a freeway/highway. This vehicle also had a problem when I was just barely getting on the freeway I tried pushing the gas peddles to reach 65mph, but for some questionable reason the gears were having trouble switching and as I look at the meter gage it showed 50mph. I push more on the gas peddle to get more speed and it would not move higher than 55mph. For some appearent reason it stayed stuck at 50-55mph. I'm quite disappointed on the dealers who sold us the car which they knew the issue of these particular vehicles, and also the manufacturers who have cause concern for who ever had bought this type of vehicle. I would appreciate if they would just recall any Ford Focus or any other vehicles that have such malfunctioning. America is suppose to be at the top, but what's going on with this issue that needs to be resolved. I'm was born in the philippines, but I was raise in the usa. I always thought the us was one top notch place to live. America is the life and I expect alot from thee higher up's/bosses.. for sure though, safety first for all vehicles designed and created and manufactured here in America or wherever they got their vehicles.. this place is one great place to live. We should live up towards true future expectations of any type of crucial designs of what so ever or some sort. America lets step up the richter scale of exclusiveness. God bless to all with peace and respect always.

- National City, CA, USA

May 162015

Focus

2 weeks ago the car lost power steering while backing out of the driveway. There was not an accident at that time. Today 5-31-15 while traveling through a small curve on a neighborhood street, the car suddenly lost power steering again and caused my daughter to strike a brick mail box. Luckily, she is okay. The car has sustained significant damage and will have to have body work. When this happened I started to look to see if there were any recalls for this and saw that the Ford Focus is not included in the recall, however it is included in a class action law suit because of Ford's failure to acknowledge and handle the problem with the power steering. I have photographs of the damage and am willing to provide them to you if necessary.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Feb 022015

Focus 4-cyl

The steering is very dangerous and will cause an accident. There is no centering the wheel, it constantly drifts back and forth left and right, on it's own with flat straight road and perfect straight line of sight. The steering is too sensitive, if I move the steering wheel just a slight amount it over corrects and continues to moves the car. The drive must constantly course correct or I will veer off the road right/left or hit another car in either lane, the problem is multiplied several times over when traveling at highway speeds. Searching the internet I see several other complaints from 2014 Focus owners and am quite shocked this issue has not been escalated and fixed by Ford, the new electric steering is not working and a safety hazard to any driver. I had the car in the mathews Ford collision shop to repair a hit to the front end from a deer, and reported the steering issue. They acted like they had no idea what I was reporting and recommended a front end alignment. I told them they needed to drive the car and would feel and experience the problem. I picked the car up last week and they said the steering computer was reset and re-calibrated, and the front end alignment was done. As soon as I left and was driving it was actually worse than before and when I traveled on the highway 2 days later it was very pronounced with very little wind that day. I went back to mathews today and had one of their estimators drive the car with me in it and he absolutely agreed and said the car drifted left and right on its own, like the old fashioned cars that run at amusement parks.they are supposed to contact me once they talk to the repair shop and then I started researching on the internet and was shocked that this is a known problem, so decided to file this complaint. This car was manufactured February 2014 and currently has only 10,000 miles.

- Granville, OH, USA

May 012014

Focus 4-cyl

When trying to accelerate from a stop, car shutters. It can happen with using no force on the gas or using full force on the gas. Car shutters and even makes a rattling noise.

- Converse, TX, USA

Oct 232014

Focus 4-cyl

While pulling over to the side of the road the power steering stopped working. An alarm chimed but no information displayed. I was only able to steer the vehicle using all of my strength and my husband had to drive it home. The next day the steering was back to normal. The second time was during a K turn. It was incredibly difficult to maneuver out of the turn but once the vehicle was driving straight the steering returned. No alarm or information displayed. The third time was turning out of a parking lot. An alarm chimed and "steering assist failure" displayed. Fortunately I was close to a dealership and able to steer it there as I would not have had the strength to steer it home through town and would not have wanted to risk trying it on the interstate. I'm waiting to find out what they will say. I have already had to have the transmission replaced due to hesitation of acceleration when the gas is pressed.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Aug 092014

Focus 4-cyl

The steering is very responsive - there is no center on the steering. You move the steering wheel 1/4" and the car will move. When you are traveling you need to constantly correct the steering and are often going back and forth in your lane. You can't take your eye off the road for a second or you will be off the road or in the opposite lane. I glanced over to the passenger window to see how far it was down and I almost hit a stone wall on the right side of the road. My husband glanced down to see the cruise control buttons and when he looked back up he was 3' across the center line. Neither time did we have our eyes off the road for more than 1 second. When you are traveling at higher speeds the handling is worse - on the mass pike or garden state parkway you have to fight it all the time. If you are changing lanes you need to be very careful because when you take your eyes off the road to check your side mirrors before changing the car will often cross into one lane or the other. When you pull out to pass on a 2 lane road you better have 2 hands on the wheel or you will lose control - the same goes if you need to get on the brakes hard. The car has a mind of its own and if you don't have two hands on the wheel you are liable to end up hitting another vehicle or going off the road. I have taken it to my Ford dealer and they drove it. They didn't notice anything, but when you drive 40 miles roundtrip to work everyday you notice it. They did check for recalls, etc and couldn't find anything. The longer the trip the worse it is. I traded in a 2012 Focus for this car and am I ever sorry I did. I can't wait for the 3 year lease to be up and just pray I don't hurt someone because of the handling. We have searched the internet and have found numerous other complaints exact or very similar to mine and they are all having to do with the 2014 Focus.

- Hoosick Falls, NY, USA

Jan 152014

Focus 4-cyl

His is a Focus St. Unable to make small steering corrections at speed. It's as if there is a "notch" in the center of the steering. A small correction becomes a large one causing the vehicle to veer across the road.

- Greenville , SC, USA