CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

7.9

$1,500.00

2. no solution (13 reports)
  3. recall on transmission (13 reports)
  4. clutch replacement (5 reports)
  5. install new clutch shaft (2 reports)
  6. transmission control module recall (2 reports)
2014 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 272016

Focus SE, Hatchback 2.0L

Now have 75000+ mostly highway miles. Jerking transmission has occurred since the first month I have owned this vehicle. Unless there is a successful class action lawsuit for this problematic powershift dual clutch transmission, my fix is to never buy another Ford again. I will probably give this car to my daughter (whom has complained about the same problem). Otherwise, the vehicle itself has been reliable, and I would rate it highly, except for the poorly executed powershift transmission.

I just hope the class action lawsuit is successful. Ford will try to avoid this at all costs... pathletic for sure, but likely.

- , Smithfield, RI, USA

Mar 022016

Focus

A few months ago with only 7,000 or 8,000 miles on the car the transmission started to shudder and skip when accelerating from a slow down or a stop. I took it to the dealer and they told me they had to reprogram the transmission. That didn't help. I took the car back to the dealer again and they told me this time that it needs a clutch. I asked them if it would permanently fix the problem. They said it would not. I then asked them what I would do when my warranty runs out in one year. Their only response was that they were very sorry. So we are stuck with a 22,000 piece of junk which is absolutely worthless because nobody wants it on a trade-in. It seems the whole world was aware of this transmission problem. Ford Motor Company can kiss my f*cking ass.

- , Bernville, PA, USA

Mar 302015

Focus SE 2.0L

Transmission from day 1 had issues. Vibration, hesitation, lack of power, jerkiness. Two coworkers had same issue. Called dealer, there was a 3 month wait as it was a known issue. By the time I had it fixed it was a recall. It is a clutch issue- not engaging fully.

- , Windsor, ON, Canada

Jan 212014

Focus SE 1.4L

I purchased this Focus in September of 2013 brand new off of the lot and it was my first vehicle and I was extremely excited to have purchased my first car. Little did I realize that this was probably one of the worst mistakes I made in my life thus far. I didn't even have the car 3 months before the transmission issue started happening. I don't drive erratic or aggressive I have taken the car to the dealership 12 times for the same issue since I have bought it, to the point that I have made friends with some of the guys there. The clutch has been replaced 4 times and the module has been reprogrammed and everything that Ford claims will "fix" the issue. It has not been fixed, the most recent time I took the car to fix it I couldn't accelerate onto the highway because the gears wouldn't grab after second, then the car stalled and the engine shut off, so I had to nurse the car to the side of the road and restart it and I finally made it to the dealership. I called Ford, and the bad thing is, is that they know that this problem exists they just don't want to do anything because they know that they will lose money. I finally spoke to a rep at Ford that directed me towards the BBB because she found out that I was in the military, saying that the military members shouldn't have to deal with things like this because we do so much for the country. I have contacted the BBB and they finally said that they will have a resolution within 14 days from yesterday. I am going to purchase a newer car that is not a Ford because after looking at different websites Ford doesn't care, they got their money so they are happy now. And what is really alarming is that the only reason I found out about the BBB option is because of my military service?!?! It is ridiculous because I know this issue is nationwide and Ford wants nothing to do with it. It is sad to say like with the issue that Toyota had with their cars is that someone has to die and sue Ford before this issue will get resolved, unless you want to take direct action against Ford.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

Oct 202016

Focus SE 2.0L

Just purchased 2014 focus hatchback,second day wife drove it to work,sent me an email later that day stating a slight hesitation on take off from start. I took it out for a test run after she got home.In doing so I did feel the problem she mentioned and also turning to the right and taking off from light going straight the is a jerking problem.After looking up this on different web sites,so far no mention of a permanent fix.People saying the dealer's doing everything as telling them transmission module needs replacing,others having clutches replaced,the craziest is service techs saying the module,computer has to learn the way you drive to adjust to the situation. Bottom line seems to be is ford has a bad design in transmission and no recalls.

- , Atoka, TN, USA

May 142016

Focus ES 2.0L

Since I bought this used 2014 Ford Focus, this May, there has been a grinding, stuttering, shaking and jerking of the transmission when in motion. This happens whether the car is on the highway or at a low rate of speed but mostly when driving forward from park. Ford attempted to upgrade the software to the transmission several times which has never worked. This is a known issue to Ford and they are claiming that it is a characteristic of the transmission and it is normal activity. The transmission shutters and jerks so much that the car will not shift and will not move forward appropriately and I have come close to getting rear-ended several times because the transmission cannot catch up with the acceleration. I am asking Ford for assistance in trading the car in since the value in the car depreciated so much because of all of the transmission issues and they are refusing to help me. My third ford, never again!!!

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 142015

Focus SE 2.0L

I Bought my 2014 Ford Focus in December of 2015 and the car ran great for a week or two and then I started having problems with the shuttering and shifting at acceleration. I took it in to the dealer and was told that I needed to drive it more so the computer will learn your driving habits. what a joke. I continued to have problems with the transmission and took my car to another dealer and was told the same thing and to bring the car back if the check engine light comes on. I called Ford about this and there were just as bad as the dealers. I continued to drive until a couple of weeks ago the shuttering got really bad and the acceleration was like riding a bicycle up hill. So I took the car to another dealer and was told that my clutches were out of specs and they needed to be replaced at a cost of $1,500. that this was not covered under warranty.

It seems ford is kicking this issue down the road until your warranty runs out and then the consumer is on the hook for fixing fords engineering problem. I will never ever buy a ford product again. I can't believe in the 21st century these so called engineers did not see this coming. my guess they did see this coming and ford decided to move forward with production any way. Ford putting making money the top priority over safety and reliability.Sorry to say that consumers may need to to be injured and or killed In these vehicles before anything is done. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. lotta good that will do.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 132014

Focus SE 2.0L

Transmission has never been right. Right off the bat Ford dealers told me it is normal to hesitate, no power, ect. I wish it acted that way during the test drive. Took it in twice already. First time they simply said it is normal. Second time it was re-programmed. Now it is much more frequent and worst symptoms. I am concerned about my family's safety. I nearly got hit by a Semi truck in the side as I was crossing a road from a dead stop turning left across oncoming traffic. The hesitation was so bad I barely got out of the trucks way.Are you kidding me. Normal my ass. This car needs fixed before some dies. I am taking it in a third time now. I will let you know the results if I live to tell them.

- , Mantua, OH, USA

Aug 312016

Focus SE

When I slowed to let a cat run in front of me and another car, my car accelerated and jerked me hard to the right over a curb and into a bus bench. Had done this before and I actually had an appointment for the next day to trade in the car. Damages are over $7000. Insurance covers all but about $1500. Could have been much worse if I had been driving faster than 25mph

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 242016

Focus SE

We bought this car to have a safe, reliable vehicle. Have driven Fords all our life. This will be our last. It's bad enough to have an issue with your vehicle but to receive no assistance from the manufacturer when it is THEIR fault sends me over the edge. I live in a mountain community with plenty of wildlife and very few other drivers on the road. My car broke down on the mountain highway when leaving for work at 5:15am. It has hesitated from take off since we've had it. We received a recall notice and took it in immediately. That did nothing to take care of the problem. Now it stopped running completely and the check engine light came on. It was towed to the shop and we have been told that the part (TCM module) is on back order and we could be without our car for 1 to 8 weeks. They could care less that this is our main form of transportation and I will have to get a rental in order to get to work in order to make car payments for a car I can't drive. I escalated my concerns all the way up to Corporate Customer Relations at Ford. No one has done a damn thing to help. I reached out to the Service Manager at the dealership we purchased it. I was told, "give me an hour and I'll call you back" 5 hours later no call. The next day I called again "give me 15 minutes, I'll check with my Ford rep to see if we can help with a rental". 2 hours later no call. Tried calling two more times and got his voicemail on a Friday afternoon. So going into the weekend I had no help at all from anyone at Ford and was forced to obtain a rental at my cost. So far I'm looking at $300 and praying that my car is back before I have to return the rental. This is a bunch of horse sh*t from Ford. It's all over the internet the issues with these cars. For them to not provide assistance with rentals is the worst possible service ever. I bet they sure will expect my payment on time won't they? I've filed claims with a Lemon Law attorney and a Class Action Lawsuit attorney.

- , Forest Falls, CA, USA

Jun 072016

Focus SE

Bought this car from old lady who was going to another country with only 2,000 miles. After driving for about 35,000 miles notice the trans was not shifting like it should be. It hesitates and shudder from a stop to drive. No power for a quick acceleration. I been told by service manager at the Ford shop it was common and nothing they could do. I am ready to get rid of this car and get me another Toyota.

- , Phx, AZ, USA

Sep 012015

Focus SE

Bought this car brand new started having problems exactly one year from purchase. Dealership keeps saying nothing is wrong with the car. The car shudders and will not go at times. I know there is an issue and am fed up with the car.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 182015

Focus SE 2.0L 4-cyl

I just want to add that every single comment in this thread about this problem, I CONCUR!

This will be my 2nd attempt in a years time of fixing this problem.

The Problem: TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE EXTENDED

Supposedly, last year at almost this exact same time, this issue was "fixed." However, a year later, the car is acting the same way it did before the repair. I'm afraid to drive it, it seems very unstable, I'm afraid the transmission is going to go out while I'm stranded out on the road somewhere. I have to overcompensate the engine when a green light appears just so I'm not rear ended by someone behind me because my acceleration SUCKS! I don't even mention how long I have to wait to make a left turn in busy traffic, SAFELY. I hope this can be fixed in time for me to trade this piece of crap in, I'm paying way too much a month for this car for it to be acting like the piece of crap that it is.

- , North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012015

Focus

Defective transmission. Multiple trips to dealership

- , Galax, VA, USA

Aug 282014

Focus SE V4

My Ford Focus SE 2014 is a piece of junk. I have frequently reported this herky, jerky, transmission to the dealer repeatedly. The latest was taking it to the dealer to have the transmission control module warranty. After accomplishing the service, absolutely NO CHANGE in performance. Just as bad; maybe even worse.

While the dealer was professional and courteous, the dealer stated the behavior was well within tolerances. This was my first AND MY LAST Ford purchase.

Dissatisfied beyond belief.

- , CLEMENTS, MD, USA

Feb 262016

Focus

I bought this car in February 2016, since I had it, it has been in the dealership about 7 times, they did 2 clutches, 3 re programing's, and still it doesn't drive right, keeps jerking, lurching, and has a hard time transitioning between gears. Even though the people at the dealership (Ford dealership) keep doing the same repairs over and over (nice customer service people) still the problem is there. I have no solution for this, they told me to get hold of the regional representative for ford and he sent me an email basically telling tough luck, I am paying for a car that doesn't run well, when I bought it at the dealership (Low Book Sales) they didn't disclose that the car has already a problem and had been recalled.

This is the email I got from the regional ford representative....

"

My name is Jon and I am the Ford Regional Customer Service Manager for your area. My role is to facilitate the repair of your vehicle between yourself and the Dealer. I have spoken with the dealer and have confirmed that the repairs to your vehicle were completed this past week. In regards to your inquiry regarding an exchange or trade assistance program, we do not have any programs regarding a trade or exchange program through Ford Motor Company. In regards to your request for a comparable vehicle you would need to speak with the Sales and Financing dept. at the DLR as they are independently owned and operated and in charge of all sales and trade in’s. In regards to your current case and concerns with the transmission not working properly after the clutch replacement, once the clutch was replaced there was a reprograming done on the transmission for the adaptive learn. You will need to drive the vehicle approx. 1000 miles for the transmission to re-learn your driving style, if you still feel there are concerns with the vehicle once this has been done please bring your vehicle back into the Dealer for inspection. If there are no current concerns on the vehicle we will be closing the case out on our side on Monday 6/20, this case can be re-opened within 30 days of closing if there are additional concerns to your vehicle. Please let me know if you have any questions."

- , Farmington, UT, USA

Jun 182016

Focus Titanium

Please don't buy this Car, Pass on the Ford 2014 -15 Focus models. Both my wife and Myself own 2 and they both have hesitation and Shuttering. Poor Transmissions and build quality. Ford will do nothing, And it devalued the cars. I have no way of trading, I'm so upside down because of this ongoing issue that Ford knows about. Sadly I have an X-Plan through Sodexo with them and I will Never recommend another Ford product or Purchase. I will never buy another Ford until they get better at Customer Service and Loyalty to their Buyers. STAY CLEAR OF THIS FOCUS AND FIESTA !!!!!!!!!! I may put in a Complaint to our Virginia state Lemon law.................... The Dealership Shelor Motor Mile just keeps saying it's the way the transmission works, Bull.......... They are being coached by Ford, I promise everyone there will be a lawsuit soon.... Keep informed. Best Regards Patrick R. Turi

- , Christiansburg, VA, USA

Apr 012016

Focus SE 2.0L

I purchased a 2014 ford focus not knowing that the transmission has a factory problem that ford will not make a recall on. Thousands of cars have the stuttering from the stop feel or acceleration problems. Hesitation when you hit the gas. Or the car revs way to high when your not hitting the gas hard. No car should run 4000 rpm in second gear when you only going ten miles a hour and your not touching the foot feet. Mind you the car is not in manual shift mode. A electronic double clutch systems has been pinned as the problem. Either a whole new transmission should be replaced or the double clutch system. Either case. They could have my car for up to eight weeks. What the bloody hell. This is awe full . Ford knows this is a major problem but wont put it on the recall list. I looked up a resell price from ford and now their saying my car is only worth 11,500. I paid 19,000 for it with only 21,000 miles on it. Its a 2014 SE model. They know the transmission is a huge problem and now their downgrading the trade in value of the car's to make up the cost to replace their screw up. The consumer is getting screwed from every angle . No only is this not fair it should be Illegal . If a law suit pops up in Missouri regarding ford and this car My name will be on this list .

- , Chillocothe, MO, USA

Sep 162015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

This issue was so annoying that I sold it b/c I was worried that I would rear-end someone and/or wear out my brakes from trying to dissipate the runaway throttle. The two issues, the severe throttle lag and shuddering from a stop, as far as I could tell we're interconnected. The clutch engages but the throttle lag causes a timing issue which seems to prompt the transmission to go searching for gears. It happens in other ATs every now and then in adverse conditions, but this was happening consistently every time. This would be dangerous in stop and go traffic or on a congested but fast-moving highway. I would give it gas, it wouldn't respond, and I would in turn try to correct for the delay by giving it even more gas. By the time, the throttle caught up to me the car would be accelerating into the path of someone's rear bumper. I would squeeze the brake but even the letting-up was laggy so I was essentially braking while accelerating. I even had to apply the e-brake while in motion a couple times to avoid a collision. That scared me away from Ford and apparently I wasn't the only one. I noticed that Zipcar has replaced a lot of their Ford Focuses with VW Golf, and just as well b/c I now own a Golf and it's leaps and bounds better in every way.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 182016

Focus SE Hatchback 2.0L L4 Dohc 16v

Just bought this car not even 2 months ago and already I'm dealing with a ton of issues. I bought this car because the car I had originally was beginning to give me problems. Oye

- , Portsmouth, NH, USA