2015 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Focus:

2015 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 032016

Bought my 2015 Focus with 31000 from a dealer and was told that it went through a 182 point inspection and with in 2 days of owning had to have the transmission "reprogrammed" because of a nasty shuttering from a stop and it was fine for about 2 days and is going back into the shop tomorrow because it is having the same issue. Was told at the dealership that this is a known problem and there really is no fix. If I would of know this before buying the car this would have never been sold to me... the car continues to jerk from a stop to find its gears and is totally unsafe.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Aug 132016

Twice pulling on to a busy hwy my car has stalled/shuddered, and lost power. Both times heat gauge sky rocketing. The last time my car turned off entirely, and had over heated. However it had only been in operation for about 5 min. Both times on a busy hwy. First time I took it in, they said it was a module update. Two weeks later it happened again and worse. I was able to limp my car into the dealership after letting it sit for 5 minutes. They replaced gaskets, and blew them on their test drive. Replaced a hose and gaskets again. My car was returned to me two days ago, and less than 50 miles later, the check engine light came on. The coolant was half full, and in the course of roughly 30 minutes of operation it had gone through half of the coolant. Yet there is no trace of a leak on the ground. In addition to all of that, on the first fix the ac had cut out twice which since they have claimed to have fixed. With all of this, it had created quite a fowl smell in my car as a result. My car at this point, my car has been in the shop 21 business days (not including saturdays.. which they work), the issues started mid August and it is now October 7th. They offered to give us the car back and that it was "just an air bubble". despite the check engine light being on and excessive loss of coolant. My car has been in motion each time it has had an issue. The first issue I was just pulling on to the hwy, so was just attempting to accelerate. The second time I had reached the hwy speed of 55 mph. (separate incident, they also had to replace a faulty seatbelt).

- Salem, OR, USA

Aug 152016

Purchased mid August 2016. We have put approx 750 miles on it in that short time. 1st incident, my wife stopped and while the car was in drive rolled backwards on an incline that resembles level. 2. from stop attempting to accelerate it jumps, stutters and barley moves. We have already had a near collision in an intersection due to this. Additionally, while getting on the on ramp it is so sluggish at times, that we are not even at proper speed to get on a freeway. Unsafe, purchased from enterprise who told us nothing about this at the time of purchase. Enterprise is allowing people drive away in these piles. If there hasn't been deaths, there will be. Enterprise is not advising customers of this because they have many in their fleet they must move out. Shame on them. Note: The following from the enterprise web site. Worry free ownership. Our job doesn't end when you pull off the lot. For your continued driving pleasure, we offer a unique combination of benefits to keep you happy down the road. They boast about a 12 month/12,000 mile powertrain warranty (limited) so you don't have to worry. They will tell you all of the issues we be taken care of. This is a lie because Ford doesn't have the answer yet.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Jul 182016

Has a hesitation on takes off has had this issue from day one dealership will not take care of this

- Claremont, NC, USA

Nov 062015

After several attempted repairs, there is still hesitation and loss of power on highway. Also shuddering and hesitation on take off. I had a incident at a stand still where the transmission would not engage and hit the back of a truck. The dealer said just keep driving after complaining numerous of time. Since June 2016 it has been in the dealership for repairs and can't correct the issue. It is a safety hazard for the driver and passengers.

- Concord, NC, USA

Aug 222016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving the vehicle at various speeds, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate when the accelerate pedal was depressed. The dealer diagnosed that the clutch in the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was able to drive the vehicle home with no failure. The following day, while driving 15 mph, the engine revved to 100 mph without warning. The RPM was at 8. the contact stated that the vehicle was unsafe. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Stewart, VA, USA

Nov 282015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle jerked and shuttered without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,087.

- Cass Lake, MN, USA

Jun 302016

At times upon take off, transmission will stall and not go even though you are pressing accelerator. Does not do it every time starting off so therefore is dangerous especially in traffic. Also transmission quivers and can hear metal grinding or clanging at times. On one occasion, we were pulling out of ingles onto highway and it would not go even with accellarator being pushed, and all of sudden it picks up and goes. This cannot be normal as I have been told by manufacturer. If it is, it's dangerous, especially in traffic.

- Jasper, GA, USA

Apr 292016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While attempting to depress the accelerator pedal from a stop, the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. In addition, the vehicle jerked before moving forward. While in park with the vehicle turned off and the ignition key removed, the vehicle rolled away and the radio continued to operate. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cvt clutch transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,675.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Jun 012015

Ford needs to issue a formal recall for the automatic transmissions in its Focus models. There is a wide-spread issue with the transmission skipping and Ford is aware. The vehicle is not safe!! I have gotten two "transmission fault" alarms and cannot safely pull out into traffic from a stop. The car stutters and skips. Ford is not dealing with this. They make Focus owners wait 6-8 weeks for a part but that doesn't remedy the issue. I understand that other Ford Focus owners who have received the replacement part continue to have the problem. Ford doesn't want to admit that these auto transmissions are faulty. They are hazardous. I cannot accelerate or pull out into traffic without the Focus' transmission stuttering and skipping. It is notsafe. Please make Ford address this issue with the Focus auto transmission before someone gets hurt. They need to buy-back these vehicles.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jun 112016

When accelerating from a stop and low speed, the car does not respond right away, shakes and then jumps forward. Merging into traffic is a concern of am I going to get hit. In stop and go traffic I have to slam on the brakes from hitting the car in front of me. It is in the deals know and they told me this is a common problem. They had to order a clutch and told me to drive the car while the part comes in. It is a safety concern. It only has 25,000 miles and is an automatic.

- Gray, ME, USA

Mar 112016

Two weeks after purchasing the car in October 2015 the transmission started rattling and would hesitate and shudder in traffic when accelerating at low speeds. The Ford dealer said it was within specs. The problem is intermittent. In March, 2016 it fell out of gear with my wife on a trip to charlotte. The local Ford dealer replaced the trasmission control module and did other work on it. It appeared ok for about two weeks and the shaking, shuddering started again, our local dealer service department said, it drove normal. Within the last three weeks it has dropped out of gear three times when stopped on a hill and taking my foot off the brake to step on the gas. This caused it to roll back slightly. Ford customer service told me they can't help me because it doesn't qualify under the lemon laws. Because this transmission problem has become well known the trade in value at the dealer is only $9000. My wife is afraid to drive it. I think Ford is hesitant to recall and replace the transmission because the dry, dual clutch design gives them better fuel efficiency and they would have to compensate owners for worse gas mileage. What good is gas mileage if we don't trust the car and feel it isn't safe. We have five Ford vehicles, two trucks, one with 305,000 miles on it, a 97 cobra, a 2007 Focus with 275,000 miles on it that drives like a new car and the only one with a serious problem is this new 2015 Focus that none of us feel safe driving. Apparently Ford will have to be forced into correcting the problem by NHTSA or civil suits. I do not want to sue them, I have been a loyal Ford customer and I want them to permanently fix the transmission.

- Six Mile, SC, USA

May 262016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While stationary, the vehicle sputtered and had delayed acceleration at a stop light. It was diagnosed that the transmission had malfunctioned. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 9,400.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Jul 312015

The vehicle transmission trips, jumps, stall, etc while driving. It may cause the car to go slowly or too fast in a manner that may cause an accident with the back or front car. Dealer service says that it is normal without driving the car on the road.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 272015

Car is at 18K miles. Trans has been shuddering, hesitating upon acceleration & making grinding noises. Dealer "recalibrated" 2 times and now says I need a clutch for which I have been waiting 9 weeks. Believe that Ford dealer is hoping I miss NJ 24K lemon law limitation. Fearful of long distance travel since don't know if car will stop shifting. Problem is evident at stop and go traffic.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Sep 302015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle was jerking and hesitating. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired however, two months later the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutches needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,342.

- Abita Springs, LA, USA

Apr 102016

My 2015 Ford Focus' transmission started to "shudder" with a jerking motion when accelerating at low RPM. Also I've experienced a loss of power/delayed acceleration when I press the gas pedal, especially when going up a hill, causing the car to not accelerate for about two seconds when I need it. There was a message "transmission overheating", then "press brake pedal" when I was idling in heavy traffic on the freeway. I had the car towed to serramonte Ford where I bought it, and bill the service person told me that "Ford Focus' are supposed to shudder, but that it probably had a bad double-clutch that needed to be replaced, and that there was a 12-week back order from the manufacturer, and that they would reprogram the computer and that should help the shudder problem as a temporary fix. I had an appointment that I waited four days for, then he told me the day of the appointment that it would be 3-7 days before he could look at it. When I called bill three times 3days in a row to see if it was fixed and him ignoring the messages, he called on the 5th day saying my car was ready. I went to pick it up and he said it still might have a little bit of a shudder and that it was normal and that it was safe to drive my car. He only listed that I complained of a shudder on the work order, never put down that any repair parts were ordered or on back order, and made it look like there was only an inspection along with an oil change. I drove my shuddering car home, perturbed at they're inadequacy. I received an E-survey from the dealership and I gave them the poor grade that was warranted. Within 30 minutes, service director henry called saying he'd have the clutch in only 8 weeks to appease me, but that I'd have to keep calling for updates. I don't feel safe driving it, fearful of it stalling when I need power critically. Faulty car that needs recall among many focuses.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 072016

Purchased 1 month ago. At 1000 miles the car began to hesitate, lurch and jerk. One time trying to make a right on red, I pressed the gas to go and it went, then stopped, and then continued as if I hit the brake pedal. My right foot was on the gas pedal the whole time. A car with 1000 miles should not be doing this at all.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 192016

The contact stated that a 2015 Ford Focus was rented from enterprise rental car. When the vehicle was placed in the drive position and the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to respond. The contact stated that the vehicle would vibrate uncontrollably. The contact was informed by enterprise rental car that the transmission was replaced and stated that the vehicle normally operated in that manner. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,440.

- Thonotosassa, FL, USA

Dec 222015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While at a stop light, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The failure recurred each time the vehicle came to a stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,980.

- Anaheim, CA, USA