8.2

2016 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Focus:

2016 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jul 042016

Focus

Transmission shudders, hesitates, and vibrates when accelerating from a stop and shifting between first and second gear. This is an automatic transmission. Sometimes the car will not accelerate quick enough so it can be dangerous when pulling into an intersection with moving cars. Ford says that it is normal. The car vibrates so bad my comatose kids (always on phone) even mention why the car feels so shaky. For a new car it is unacceptable. I have a 12 year old car that is much smoother than this and it is worth $1200. Not to mention safer.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Apr 282016

Focus

I bought the car in April 2016. I had it less than two weeks before I took it back to the dealership over the transmission. I don't think I'd even put 500 miles on it yet. Of course they told me to bring it back after 1,200 miles since the that's the transmissions "greenbelt period". it's been back, needless to say I'm still having the issue. When the light turns green, I hit the gas and the car goes nowhere. It revs up to about 2,000 RPM, then drops back down, engages the gear and starts to move. And when it finally does start to move, it crawls away like a turtle. Even if I go pedal-to-the-metal, it makes no difference. I don't think I've ever yelled at the car I'm in to "move it's ass". it's pathetic. I have the 4 cylinder model too. While trying to merge on the interstate under heavy acceleration, the car pops out of gear and will redline while losing speed rapidly. I've nearly been rear-ended 6 times trying to get on the interstate. Fortunately (or unfortunately perhaps) my car has the Ford selectshift transmission, so I've learned to put it into selectshift mode and keep the car in 2nd or 3rd gear until I've made it on to the interstate. At that point, I move the shifter back into "drive" (D) and pray the car accelerates when I hit the gas. But I'm not done. When switching lanes on the interstate, I have to be sure that the lane I'm moving to has at least at 5 car gap because once I've switched lanes and hit the accelerator to pass, move into my new lane and lift my foot, the car continues to accelerate for another second or two, then pops out of gear and reengages. I chose the first date it happened for "when did this happen?". the issue persists today, August 29th, 2016. The car currently has 8,500 miles on it.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Apr 212016

Focus

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle shuttered and experienced a complete loss of power. The checking engine and service car soon warning indicators illuminated. In addition, while driving 65 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power for a second time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact informed the dealer of the recurring failure and the technician stated that the vehicle performed as intended. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 10.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 042016

Focus

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced lunging, the RPM went abnormally high, and the windshield shattered after an insect flew into a windshield. The contact stated that the vehicle felt abnormal as though it was lacking power during turns and through normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the windshield was fractured, but was not diagnosed or repaired for the other failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 13,646. Updated 09/08/16

- Fairland, OK, USA

Mar 152016

Focus

The transmission on this vehicle shudders, especially when cornering. This shudder has become more pronounced,

- Clearwater, FL, USA