7.6

2014 Ford Focus Electric drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus Electric:

2014 Ford Focus Electric Owner Comments

Jul 152016

Focus Electric

I did the update to the tcm but did not fix nothing my trans still messes up and around same time it started steering is getting stuck may be stearing pump Ford will not help at all iv only owned car for a year soon as I got to 60000 miles it stared hesitate jerking I did update like it said 2 do it worked for like a hour then same problems but it got worse it's unsafe to drive and Ford wants alot of money just to check it out again then I can barrely controle my car with the stearing wheel getting stuck and no 1 can figure out what's wrong

- Taylof, MI, USA

Jul 232016

Focus Electric

I had yet another "stop safely now" warning in which the car completely lost power to the drivetrain while in motion. I had previously taken in the car for the recall in January and was told that would resolve the issue, but the problem has popped up again. This is a very dangerous thing to happen to have a car suddenly lose all power while driving in the middle of the road. Ford has clearly not fixed this problem yet.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 082016

Focus Electric

I was backing out of my driveway in reverse when I received a "stop safely now" warning from the car. The car completely shut down power to the drivetrain and I was stalled in the middle of the road and unable to move. Luckily this was on a quiet street but if this happens on the freeway it could have been catastrophic.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Focus Electric

19K miles and 2 years into having this car -- "stop safely now" shows up with a red triangle on the dashboard and the car suddenly loses power while driving. It happened to me on freeway with kids on board and was very scary. Ford would not help. My car is not on recall list though this is exact same issue reported on NHTSA website about this car. Dealer is super busy and I don't expect my car to be looked at for days. Its really frustrating to be held hostage on this, being stuck with no car to commute to my work without absolutely any fault of mine.

Nov 202014

Focus Electric

Stop safely now error message appears when trying to start the car, often. The error disables the car. Sometimes the car will work immediately after restarting and sometimes I just have to try again later in the day after finding alternative modes of transportation for the time being. Most often occurs when conditions or damp like early morning or following rain.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 132015

Focus Electric

"stop safely now" warning and motor shut down while driving on city roads. The car was pushed to a nearby parking lot. Has been at the dealership for nearly 2 months due to a backorder of a high voltage power cable. Ford has been unhelpful and is not taking responsibility for the part backorder. They are claiming the backorder is the manufacturer's responsibility and not their own.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Focus Electric

The car stalled with the big triangle "stop to safety" flashing.. it started stalling at every stop signs and signals. This happened several times while the kids were in the car and there was no way to pull to safety. This resulted in several traffic back ups. The incident repeated every day and finally the car was taken to the dealer on June 16. This is the second time the same incident is taking place. The first time it happened was in Dec, 2014. As of this date of complaint, the dealer has not returned the car.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Jun 302015

Focus Electric

The vehicle has reported "stop safely now" and doesn't start. Luckily the car is parked in the garage. This is the second time of happening without any further diagnostic details or warning. Last time this happened in the middle of the road while driving and shut the power to the wheels completely.

Apr 202015

Focus Electric

While driving down a major local road, the car completely lost driving power (accessories still worked) and a warning light on the dashboard came on saying "stop safely now!". my wife was barely able to pull over and we were unable to get the car moving again, eventually towing it to the dealership. When we picked the car up they stated that a connection to the high voltage battery came loose and they've fixed it. Yesterday, when attempting to start the car, the same warning message came on and the car would not start. We once again have had the car towed to the dealership. The dealer called me this morning saying the car "works fine" which makes me more concerned since clearly this issue is now totally unpredictable.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 182015

Focus Electric

While driving in normal traffic, the vehicle showed a "stop safely now" warning and then lost all power. Had to push the car out of traffic because of loss of power. Power steering and brakes also stopped functioning. Vehicle had to be towed to dealership.

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 092014

Focus Electric

I leased 2014 Ford Focus electric in early October 2014, now it has 1082 miles on odometer. This incident happened after about month after owning the car, my daughter reversed the car out of drive way into the road. I was with her on the passenger seat. On changing the gear to "D" it lost power. I also verified to make sure car was in drive mode (green arrow was on). No response on pressing accelerator. No other messages on the dash board. Turned off and turned on again after a few seconds, car worked fine.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 132014

Focus Electric

Ford's recall campaign number 13S09 only addressed certain models produced thru late 2013, however my car was produced in 3/2014 and displayed the same issue. I've experienced two occasions where the car lost power and displayed the "stop safely now" warning message on cluster. The first happened on 11/7/14 while stopped at a stop sign. Took it to Ford dealer who cleared code and stated it's is fine. It happened again on 11/13/14 while driving up on my driveway. Both times, the car worked again after turning it off and waiting about 5 mins.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 082014

Focus Electric

Vehicle lost power suddenly with a warning "stop safely now". since the speed was low and there wasn't anybody behind me, I was able to marginally pull over from the road. Tried to power cycle several times and the error message went away. Started to roll and the message popped back again and regenerative braking stopped the car immediately. Tried 3 times and every time I started to move the error message will kick in and stall. The car is at the dealer and they are taking a look at it. My wife who was driving the car doesn't want to drive it anymore because she fears if this happens on a freeway carpool lane traveling at 65mph there is going to be a pileup.

Jul 142014

Focus Electric

3 miles after leaving the parking lot with my mom and 2 kids in the car the "stop safely now" warning flashed and the car lost power. I found similar complaint 10512459. I had to pull over in the bike lane, turn off the car and restart it until power war restored. Same thing happened next day right after leaving home. Now I am afraid to go out on the highway or on narrow country roads with this car.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 222014

Focus Electric

I was stopped at a light in a traffic jam. Worried that I would run out electricity, I shut off the car. When I tried to proceed, the car would not move, and a warning of "safely stop now" illuminated on the dash. I tried "restarting" the car several times. The car would seem to "start, " but would not move forward -- as if the gear would not engage. After several minutes, and with a policeman leaning into the window barking suggestions, the car started and proceeded. Perhaps, when I stopped trying to start the car, the car wholly powered-off. Essentially "power cycling" the car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA