CarComplaints.com Notes: The Freestar was introduced in 2004, but it was essentially just a rebranded Windstar. While there was a redesign of the interior and exterior, the Freestar still inherited some of the design flaws of its predecessor.

2004 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 13 of 13)

Nov 212010

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact stated that the gear shift selector remained stuck. The contact called the dealer who offered no assistance. The manufacturer had not been notified. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 62,000.

- Rocky Comfort, MO, USA

Jun 222008

Freestar

The torque converter went out when we were driving down the interstate in June 2008. We had the torque converter replaced, not under warranty, only to have the same thing happen again in June 2009. Again we had the torque converter replaced, no longer under warranty. In Sept 2010 the check transaxel light came on. After taking it to the Ford dealership we have been told that it is the torque converter again & they can't explain why this keeps happening (3rd time in 26 months). Their suggestion was to replace the transmission!

- Pearl City, IL, USA

Sep 042009

Freestar

My Ford Freestar 2004 had complete mobility failure in intersection, was said to have bad transmission was replaced problems of motor failure continued had towed 10 X's with my investigations we found water in the PCM replaced computer problem of water regained many attempts to reseal while transmission reaffected then replaced throttle sensor have spent over $4000 while Ford offers no compensation or help even thou the problems are under investigation. Ineed my vehicle to get to work to maintain paying my bills Ford should have to do something for all of us and I would like to know what my next steps are I cant afford an attorney for this.they are aware of the problems but take no responsibility for them.when my car fails it gives great difficulty steering and braking as it shuts off I am in fear of my children's lives and others drivers while I continue to drive this vehicle and an accident should not be the forcing hand for Ford Motor Corp to have to stand behind their product!

- Waterford , CT, USA

Feb 162010

Freestar

My wife was driving our 2004 Ford Freestar with only 84,000 when the transmission failed while she was driving. Luckily she was on a quiet road and not the highway and she was able to pull over with no problems. This happened to a friend of ours who also bought a 2004 Ford Freestar and his transmission went out with only 80,000 miles.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Nov 212009

Freestar

We were driving along 1-70 with the cruise control on, when all of a sudden the RPM's got real high and lost power. We were very lucky it was right next to an exit where we were able to coast off and call aaa. They came to tow us to a local shop (we were 1500 miles away from home with 500 more miles to go on our trip) where they told us the transmission needed replacing. 3000 dollars later plus the cost of hotels, and car rentals we have a new transmission. Not to mention the 4 plus hours I had to wait with 4 kids while hubby went with tow truck to get the rental as we were in the middle of nowhere. Upon doing research online, this seems to be a consistent problem with the Ford Freestar.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 102009

Freestar

Consumer's 2004 Ford Freestar has transmission problems. The consumer stated after backing up, he placed the gear in drive and nothing happened. The consumer stated there was no noise of any type that even suggested there was a problem.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Sep 172009

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. While driving 65 mph attempting to accelerate to pass another vehicle, the RPM increased; however, the vehicle did not increase in speed. There were no prior warnings. The vehicle towed to a mechanic. A mechanic stated the the shaft or the torque converter caused the failure. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The current and failure mileages were 56,269.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Jul 102009

Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar 87K. Just had egr valve replaced due to a code that said it was bad. Took van for a test drive after replacing valve. Proceeding down the road, car was running like it was brand new again, accelerated and then the RPM went high like it was in neutral and the van quit pulling. Had to coast off the road, and walk in the dark call for help. Very dangerous, minivans are for women who carry children!!!. Ford needs to look into this issue. The same exact thing happened to my friends 2004 Freestar and it was the torque converter. Many people have also written reviews online about the same problem. I will find out if it is the torque converter tomorrow.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Jun 062009

Freestar

While driving on a main road, my 2004 Ford Freestar transmission failed. As in all the other reports there was no warning whatsoever. Park engages however no other gear does. Vehicle is at transmission shop as I write this. Ford states there is no issue, and because I am out of the extended warranty by 5,000 miles there is nothing they can do for me.

- Revere, MA, USA

Mar 152009

Freestar

Transmission dies with no warnings at less than 70,000 miles.

- Apopka, FL, USA