CarComplaints.com Notes: The Freestar was introduced in 2004, but it was essentially just a rebranded Windstar. While there was a redesign of the interior and exterior, the Freestar still inherited some of the design flaws of its predecessor.

2004 Ford Freestar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jun 032012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving and battery light, ABS and brake light all illuminated. No issues with braking. Replaced PCM in Nov 2011 for similar issue. Car at dealer for a week so far and indicate needs an alternator (maybe) and PCM. Multiple PCM issues reported on this make and model. Tsbs, etc. When is action going to be taken. Dealer indicates part is on back order from Ford. Please take some action this is in addition to a torque converter issue already under recall. The PCM controls everything and could have caused this car to fail and hurt someone.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Oct 022011

Freestar 6-cyl

Power control modual (PCM) gets wet due to poor design and transmission fails to work.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Feb 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

ABS warning light comes on and then sometimes it goes out. Is ABS system not working properly or electrical?

- Chino, CA, USA

Jan 102011

Freestar 6-cyl

Water keeps getting into the PCM. Common problem with this vehicle. Van will stall out, not have power in drive or reverse, and anything electrical acts up.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Apr 032012

Freestar 6-cyl

PCM wet and engine will die when under load. Turn on power option will cause the engine to die.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Dec 132008

Freestar 6-cyl

Issues noticed with electrical systems within a year of purchasing brand new vehicle. Dealerships never found anything wrong. While driving down the road, vehicle would lose power. Radio would go out, all lights on dashboard would go out etc. Then all of a sudden they'd all come back on as if nothing happened. Noticed mostly during rainy and humid days. Then once in a while van would chug and act doggy. In December 2008, while driving down a busy city street, van just stopped "driving" and would rev. Didn't have money to fix until April of 2009 so it sat in our driveway. Had it towed to transmission shop after calling Ford dealership and was told it was double the cost for them to fix. Transmission shop told me that the splines stripped off the torque converter causing the transmission to fail. Repair cost for tranny rebuild #1: $1,830.97. Shortly after, the A/C stopped working (summer 2009). Replaced condenser for price of parts as neighbor who's a technician provided free labor. Van ran okay for about a year. Then in summer 2010, started running sluggishly again and still had issues with power loss (as stated in beginning). Found info online about everyone having issues with PCM so replaced that as well for $500. Worked for a couple months but then in December 2010 van started having issues with power loss again and chugging. Little did I know, this was the start of the tranny beginning to fail again! July 2, 2011 tranny failed again. Doing 50mph in road construction zone. Again, told by transmission shop (different shop as we were 9.5hrs from home), that the torque converter failed again and tranny needed to be rebuilt. Cost to rebuild tranny #2: $1,850. Still having issues with sluggishness, thinking water getting into pc still. Tire pressure lights have been on for years, having issues with sliding doors, back up sensors, A/C etc. I'm tired of this lemon!!!!!

- Ironwood, MI, USA

Jan 182012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, she would occasionally become locked inside the vehicle or locked out of the vehicle by the anti-theft system. The vehicle would also sporadically fail to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the trans receiver was replaced and the computer was updated however, the failure persisted. The current and the failure mileages were 135,000.

- Midland, PA, USA

Feb 102012

Freestar 6-cyl

While on the highway, at about 35 mph, my 2004 Ford Freestar died. I was able to coast into a side street without power. After about 10 minutes, I was able to restart the vehicle, but it ran roughly for several minutes and then behaved normally until two days later when the transmission would not engage in any gear. I thought it was a transmission problem. The vehicle was towed home and the tow truck driver said it was behaving like there was a problem with the computer. Apparently he has seen this problem before. Examination of the computer (PCM) and the attachment plug showed significant water entry. Water actually ran out of the plug and there was water in the PCM enclosure. After several days of drying time, the PCM was put back into the vehicle and the vehicle ran normally. Ford has issued a tsb that covers the problem of water getting into the PCM and cable, so I am sure it is a common occurrence. I believe that if the vehicle is allowed to set idle for a number of days, the PCM will dry out by itself and then run normally until the next rain storm. No doubt, many transmissions have been replaced in error, and the problem reoccurs when the PCM again gets wet. Loss of power on the highway means no power steering or power brakes, which can lead to loss of control of the vehicle. The location of the PCM lends itself to water entry and appears to me to be a design defect that Ford should address more forcefully than just to issue a technical service bulletin.

- Telford, PA, USA

May 012008

Freestar 6-cyl

2004 Ford Freestar. Consumer states vehicles drives rough, stating vehicle accelerates and decelerates on its own the consumer stated the vehicle would slow down and then speed up with rapid jerking. The consumer had the egr replaced at a cost of $289.97. Also, the air conditioner compressor, ignition coil and main computer had to be replaced.

- North Port, FL, USA

Sep 052011

Freestar 6-cyl

We bought our 2004 Freestar new. Wife now is unable to drive it due to safety concerns. It stalls, misses, and bucks while driving. It is much worse after rain. We have taken to dealership and they want to do a tune-up. Took to local mechanic and he says that there is water in PCM. Have located hundreds of complaints in forums. Very expensive fix and it looks as though many people have had fixed several times.

- Pekin, IN, USA

Feb 142012

Freestar 6-cyl

Drove vehicle to store, went in to do shopping came out to leave vehicle would start but wouldn't accelerate. Two days before incident it had been raining in grand junction Colorado. Had vehicle towed to Ford and was told today that the pmc is full of water! it's going to cost me over $1500 to fix this! what would of happened had it decided to go out as I was driving down the road with my two kids in the car" or when rushing my severe asthmatic to hospital"

- Grand Junction , CO, USA

May 132010

Freestar

This has been on an on going problem for several years now (this is the 4th time Ford serviced the vehicle). After a rain storm my Freestar does not start or will start & stall. Today, after raining all night, I was driving my 3 kids to school apx 0800hrs, as I was turning onto rochelle ave from chestnut St in rochelle park, NJ the vehicle stalled in the middle of the intersection with loss of all power including the brakes which caused me to roll into on coming traffic. Luckily the garbage truck was able to stop before hitting my vehicle. I have found that you had an open case under id number PE10033 the PCM has been changed 3 times and repaired once, on the following dates at the following locations: 5/13/2010 all american Ford, 520 river street, hackensack, NJ 3/19/2011, 12/13/2011 & 1/13/2012 all american Ford, 375 rt 17 South, paramus, NJ on all these occasions it was water from rain that effected the PCM.

- Rochelle Park, NJ, USA

Jan 052012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled and all electrical systems stopped functioning. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Monsey, NY, USA

Dec 192011

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway at 55 mph and my van starting cutting out really bad and died. I was a mile from anywhere I got it to a safe place eventually and then could no longer start the van. This is the third time this has happened and have had to replace the computer already once. It was raining heavily so I know it is the computer because the mechanic who replaced the computer 3 months ago said this is a known problem with the 2004 Ford Freestar. Every time it rains I have trouble with my car. It was raining last night so I know water has once again gotten into my computer. When is there ever going to be a recall on this. I am a single mom of 4 kids and feel like Ford should be held responsible for this vehicle. I can't afford to just go out and buy a new vehicle because Ford messed up. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years now and it has been in the shop or broke down for at least 2 years of this time for the same issues.

- Mcpherson, KS, USA

Oct 212011

Freestar

It started with my driver side window working erratically. Simultaneously, the buttons on my radio quit working, although it randomly kept trying to reprogram "preset 2". without warning, at 65mph on a busy road, I abruptly lost power and could not maintain speed or accelerate. I also experienced erratic RPM. Currently vehicle will chronically not start due to power failure, even though battery and alternator have been checked and are functioning properly. The sudden and unexpected loss of acceleration and erratic RPM is dangerous. I am unable to drive this vehicle because I fear for my safety.

- Lafayette, CO, USA

Sep 032011

Freestar 6-cyl

Transmission issues had to be replace, check engine light will not turn off. I have read many reports online about issues with the transmission in the 2004 Ford Freestar, sensor light issues, tracking light issues. No warning transmission just died 200 miles from home.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Sep 182011

Freestar 6-cyl

The van began to jerk and lose power. I was able to make it home and was told that the PCM was wet. I contacted the Ford dealership where I purchased the van and learned about the service bulletin. I emailed Ford and was told there was no recall and I would need to fix this issue myself.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Sep 152011

Freestar 6-cyl

The main engine computer (ECM, PCM, aka eec) constantly gets wet due to a design flaw. Water drips down on the computer and will cause the engine just to die while driving the car on the highway. This causes a very dangerous situation!

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Apr 202011

Freestar 6-cyl

2004 Ford Freestar RPM's 3000 at idle. Diagnosed as water intrusion in original PCM (powertrain control module) in April of 2011. Water intrusion occurred on replacement PCM as well within 3 months because rain kit per service bulletin ( # tsb-06-14-10) was not installed at the Ford dealer. Second incident occurred with the replacement (new) PCM on 9/8/11. On 9/8/11 vehicle stalled out while in traffic. Replacement PCM diagnosed as water intrusion as well by different Ford. Second dealer noted rain kit had not been installed by 1st dealer when new PCM was put in. Second dealer installed kit, but vehicle stalled out in traffic once again on 9/17/11. Replacement (new) PCM had been contaminated prior to rain kit installation. Vehicle is now at the Ford dealer (that installed tsb rain kit) for 3rd PCM unit. Contact was made with the original dealer that installed the replacement PCM as well as Ford warranty department, and as of this date of 9/23/11 neither has accepted responsibility for failure to install the recommended tsb rain kit that caused the replacement (new) PCM failure. We were very fortunate that no one was hurt during the 2 incidents when the vehicle stalled out while in traffic. We will continue to pursue action to make the first Ford dealer / Ford Motor Company financially responsible for neglecting to install the rain kit per Ford service bulletin upon installation of the first new PCM unit.

- Troy, NY, USA

Aug 182011

Freestar 6-cyl

My husband was driving on a 4 lane hwy in pensacola, fl when my 2004 Ford Freestar suddenly stopped pulling. No forward, no backwards, neutral, nothing and the rpms went extremely high. Zero warnings, and in heavy rush hour traffic. It is only due to my husbands race car driving experience and quick reaction time that he was immediately able to get the van on the side of the hwy. My husband and our two boys thankfully were safe but they were stranded in intense Florida heat. I have had a lean fuel, various electrical, coil pack and PCM issues since I got the van June 2007. The Ford dealership, and the easterns dealership I purchased the van from, could not figure out the problems. While under warranty, easterns worked on it but none of the issues were ever able to be fixed. I choose the Freestar for its safety features so I knew I had a safe way to Transport my children. This is no longer the case, I do not trust Ford to take care of their defective products and I will not purchase another Ford.

- Milton, FL, USA