Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Freestar was introduced in 2004, but it was essentially just a rebranded Windstar. While there was a redesign of the interior and exterior, the Freestar still inherited some of the design flaws of its predecessor.

2004 Ford Freestar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 212016

Problem #1 the passenger side window will not work. It's controll module was replaced it worked one time and stopped working again. Problem #2 the drive axle broke in traffic luckily we were stopping and were only going about 5 mph. Problem #3 today after a night of heavy rain when the van was unlocked the radio came on before the key was even in the ignition. Which brings us to problem #4 the biggest and no doubt most expensive. The van started and was running kind of sluggish but ran fine in reverse but if you shift to drive the van shuts off. You cannot start it in neutral either. I have had 2 independent mechanics look at it today both say it is the torque converter. I looked it up and there is a recall but of course it's the weekend and I can't call to see if it's covered.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Mar 082016

The 2004 Freestar is shorting out all the sensors are shorting out U took it to be put on machine and it cane back with 17 sensors malfunction going on and it's the only vechele I own and I've googled the problem and I see 100000 other people are having the same problem what should I do I might be driving down the road and the vraje sensor is going and I can't stop I'm not rich I cantvgo buy another van please help

- Union City, PA, USA

Jan 122016

The power control module (PCM) gets wet. The car will then exhibit various failures including engine stop, transmission failure to engage, engine code indicators. This can happen when stationary (transmission won't engage ) or in motion( engine will shut off above certain speeds, may be 35-45miles per hour) or the transmission will begin slipping. Ford has issued a technical bulletin tsb 06-14-10 on this issue

- Pflugerville,, TX, USA

Oct 032014

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the rear door latch was loose. The latch required readjustment in order to connect the latch. The contact also indicated that the plastic piece on the rear seat lever fractured and the bottom latch was used as a temporary option to lift the seat up and down. The front passenger side window also failed to open and close. The motor for the window regulator was replaced but the failure recurred and the window on the passengers side still would not open and close. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Aug 082015

While driving my 4 children all but one in a car seat, my car just died without warning, my car starting rolling backwards before I had even realized it shut down. In panic I got the car stopped and put into park and got hazards on and then tried starting car and it fired right back up. I brought it to mechanic to be told its the air filter, changed that then got told its the mass air flow sensor, replaced that then was told that's not it. Finally someone said its the PCM!! no one can do it but Ford so I called Ford, Ford says that cannot do it!! go figure, so I am now scrambling for the money and for the parts and for the mechanic to fix this. And from what I can follow from the other complaints its not just me this happening to over and over again. This is a faulty make and should not have to come out of the customers pocket anymore. Ford should pick up the pieces.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Aug 082015

My car has spent 10 days at Ford to be serviced after having the safety recall service for the torque converter performed. The vehicle was behaving unpredictably, sometimes stalling out while idled, stalling out while in motion, sometimes idling with high or low rpms. The dealership took it back in to check the torque converter, they then said it wasn't the torque converter but the throttle body, they then cleaned that and said it's not the throttle body, it's the PCM. The PCM is taking on water from a flawed design of the above PCM where water is retained and eventually leaks on to the connector. This of course is not covered by Ford, and can cost up to $1200 to replace. This issue creates a number of different symptoms making it hard to identify the origin of the problem. Causing extended stays for maintenance. This should be rectified by Ford and not it's customers as there's no way this flaw can be caused by user error, it's a design flaw that should not exist.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Aug 072015

2nd time that this has happened. Was driving when the van started bucking/sputtering/surging. It would die and then fire right back up just to do it once again. Soaked PCM connector was to blame both times. This is obviously a design flaw by Ford and needs to be taken care of. I'm glad I was not on the interstate or in the middle of an intersection.

- Jetersville, VA, USA

Jul 302015

I was driving the vehicle and it was raining outside and as I was driving all of a sudden my car just died in the middle of the freeway no warning, no nothing just died I almost was rear ended, I took it to a mechanic who said the PCM is not sealed properly and got wet and fried out this is unbelievable that Ford would see tons of these complaints like I have seen online same problems and put people lives and their childrens lives in danger with this poor manufacturing. What can I do "?" thank you brandi R berger

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Jul 102015

Started sputtering, jerking, and stalling PCM was wet causing all kinds of havic lost power going into a turn and almost went into a ditch Ford needs to recall this ongoing problem and get it fixed before something major happens alot of people are complaining and Ford knows it is there fault and they have a problem but refuses to take care of it.

- Albion, IN, USA

May 132015

Different things are happening. My van idles at a higher RPM. My van doesnt want to crank on the first turn of the key. My van is possibly miss-firing. My front wiper motor has stopped. My alternator was replaced. Now my battery light comes on but then may go off. My car shuts off when idles, my battery light is on. Nothing but the engine cranked, but battery light is on. My battery was replaced with in 6 months before this. Sometimes the side doors decide to open when button is pushed and sometimes they do not. I have been told that the problem is with water getting into the PCM. Water should not be able to get into this area. There is not time frame as to how long this has been damaged, but it is a problem. It needs to be fixed. When researching the internet I find that this is almost everyone's answer to their problem, I feel that it is an issue that needs some attention from Ford to recognize again. Yes sometimes these problems can be due to something else but when all of the other items have been fixed or replaced and it continues then it is a problem.

- Mocksville, NC, USA

Mar 212015

Had the torque recall done last August by a local dealership, and while accelerating yesterday I lost all control of the vehicle and the engine stalled, transmission is now shot and the PCM is damaged from the moisture even though I had completed the tsb the dealership advised me of. Several sensors kept failing randomly, and would only last about a month.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 202015

Stopped at a stop sign and the van would not move. No gears worked. Couple days later, it drove fine. Couple days later no gears again. (and the torque converter was replaced under recall in 2012) now won't start and dashboard goes crazy after the key is out. With all the transmission problems and the wet PCM problems, I can't believe Ford doesn't have to recall these van because of the PCM!! this vehicle is a hazard to drive.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Feb 042015

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway at 55 mph my vehicle lurched forward drastically and then stalled. I was able to get it to the side of the road coasting as I was in the outside lane. I could restart the car but only go 50-100 feet and it would stall again. I managed to get it off the road into a parking lot and found out the car wouldn't go into reverse. Although I could go forward. I am now being told that there was a torque converter recall for this year and make of car but not for my vehicle. I am being told the transmission will need rebuilt and be at a cost of 3000-3900 dollars. The car has approx. 102,000 miles on it. I was told by the transmission shop this is a common problem with this car even if they are repaired they tend to have problems again. It should be noted that it had snowed a large volume that day and there was a lot of water on the roadway.

- Mentor On The Lake, OH, USA

Mar 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

PCM gets wet and causes all kinds of problems! should be a recall! can cause vehicle to just stop while driving, shorts out things. Turns lights, radio, etc on even when van not on. Problems with starting when it rains. Cd player and cruise control no longer work, did the PCM fry them too?? dangerous accidents could happen and I am terrified to drive it but it is only vehicle I have. Please help get a recall!!

- Delmar, DE, USA

Mar 132013

Freestar 6-cyl

Car died in heaver rain on major road. All lights lite on dashboard. Problem was water intrusion on ECM. Repair cost $957.26. Ford dealer in levittown claim the followed tsp on problem 18 months later same problem water damage on ECM. Repair cost this time $2695.97. Claim there was no tsp on problem. Had to show them the tsp and they still are not following it.

- Levittown, NY, USA

Jun 112014

Freestar 6-cyl

After a rain van stalled in the middle of heavy traffic and would not restart.after several hours van would not start.I had van towed to a repair shop, PCM was replaced.@present headlights not working properly, air conditioning, horn, seat belt chimes not working at all.local dealership unable to repair.van continues to run rough.

- Prichard, AL, USA

Sep 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

Message center dims as to be unreadable during daylight driving, making it impossible to read warnings or mileage remaining or service needs.

- Shelby, MI, USA

Mar 062012

I was driving down the road with my kids in this can, and it suddenly happened repeatedly every time it snowed or rained. It will also not want to accelerate and jerks or hesitates as you are driving. This can is dangerous!! Ford needs to accept responsibility and get this problem fixed!

- Strasburg, OH, USA

Jul 272014

Freestar 6-cyl

I was traveling on a busy road last Sunday. My van completely shut down with no warning. I had no power steering or power brakes and was almost rear-ended. Thank god I managed to get to the side of the road. I started it again and it happened again three more times. I had it towed to jim's auto service and they think it could be related to water leakage onto the computer. I called Ford to ask about this and they said that they knew nothing about this but I found information about this problem all over the internet. I asked them how could my mechanic know about this and they didn't?! they told me to take it to a Ford dealership. I am 60 years old and babysit my grandchildren full time and I am afraid to drive them in this vehicle! I also do not have the money for major repairs. I hung up with Ford feeling frustrated since this could have been a fatal situation if I had been on the highway with my granddaughter.

- Dover, PA, USA

Jul 162014

Freestar 6-cyl

We replaced the torque converter about a year ago, on our own; we were not familiar with the recall on that part. The van started to exhibit same issues a few weeks later. We went to the dealer where we learned of the torque converter recall. Dealer stated that this time, it was a bad transmission, he informed us that due to us paying out of our own pocket for the torque converter, he would take that money off of the price of replacement transmission; we had issues with that deal. Now, about a year later, the van would not go into gear. We took it to a dealer who gave us a hard time with the three year warranty which came along with the replacement transmission; the van was at the dealer for over two weeks. Once we agreed to pay out of our own pocket, we were told that the wiring between computer and transmission was dirty; they stated that it was now fixed. Now three weeks later, same issue; we took it to a mechanic who found water in the computer.

- Mt. Arlington, NJ, USA