Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Freestar was introduced in 2004, but it was essentially just a rebranded Windstar. While there was a redesign of the interior and exterior, the Freestar still inherited some of the design flaws of its predecessor.

2004 Ford Freestar miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments

Aug 192015

My van suddenly went out of gear and the van lurched forward, while driving at about 35 mph. Thankfully we were in town, and not going a faster speed or on a major hwy! after coasting to a safe place, we finally managed to get it to go back into gear for a short time. After several attempts, we managed to get it home. It refuses to go into gear now and has been parked since then. I know there has been a recall on the torque converter for this make and model, and those customers have experianced the exact same symptoms as my van. This is obviously a problem with a lot more vans than originally thought and the recall needs to be extended to other VIN #S, including mine.

- Craig, CO, USA

Jul 052015

Van will not go into reverse, power windows wont work door locks work strange. PCM module has mosture also hard shifting while in traffic

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 072014

Freestar 6-cyl

The van won't start in the morning when left overnight. I have brought a new battery and alternator still won't start. Have to jump start the van in the morning.

- Watervliet, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Freestar 6-cyl

2004 Ford Freestar. Consumer wants to know if there is any information of defects on vehicle.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 272012

Freestar 6-cyl

I bought this vehicle 03/28/2011 and at the time it recorded a mileage of approximately 107,000 miles. Today I checked and my miles is reporting over 195,000. This is impossible for a jump of over 80,000 miles in less than a year and I hardly drive the vehicle.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Sep 022011

Freestar 6-cyl

Transmission went out while driving. Thankfully we were not on the highway. No grinding or slipping, the engine just revved and would vehicle would not move. Had 3 children in the car at the time. Very dangerous to trust this car. Got the car to a parking lot, now it has been towed to a mechanic to be checked out. We previously had problems with something in the ignition or something where the car would just sputter and die while driving. Replaced driver side window motor, but passenger side does not work either. Please get these off the road!

- Tulsa, OK, USA

May 272011

Freestar 6-cyl

A few months ago my check engine light came on and vehicle felt like it wanted to stall out, the computer at the shop said that there was a misfire, replaced spark plugs and wires, light went out, 2 days later light back on same thing, shop could find nothing else wrong with the van, we then went to another shop who after having it for a week and not being able to figure out the problem said it was an oxygen sensor, paid $460 to have this replaced, van ran great for 3 days then lght back on and same thing, within 2 days the light went back off, this happened on and off for months then finally 3 weeks ago while turning a corner, the van just died and lost power in the middle of an intersection, unable to go into reverse or anything was able to restart the van long enough to get out of intersection then it died again and was able to coast to side of road but was unable to put van in reverse, my normal mechanic could not figure out the problem the computer kept reading different error codes, he then took it to the local dealer, where they have now had it for 3 weeks and are unable to find anything wrong with it, they did admit that they have been having problems with the PCM getting wet but they cannot find anything wrong with it, it is now running, going into reverse and no check engine light (at this time). I was also told that this could lead to eventual transmission problems as well, so now I have to worry about driving it at all, because noone can fix it, so it will eventually do it again"?"

- West Chester, OH, USA

May 062011

Driving down rural highway, sudden loss of drive ability to vehicle, vehicle coasted to stop on shoulder of highway. Engine still had power. Towed van to Ford dealership, result of diagnosis and repair: Torque converter failed causing severe damage to transmission and radiator. Damage required new components to be installed.

- Madisonville, TX, USA

Apr 162011

The vehicle experienced sudden loss of acceleration. The engine would rev when gas pedal pushed, but would not gain momentum. There were no warning signs, no check engine light, and no noises. None of the gears would work. The dealership said the bands inside the torque converter had shredded.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Oct 182010

As we were on a family vacation crossing Wisconsin on interstate 94 going 65 mph with the cruise control set, the car started T rev very high and we lost all power. The engine ran fine and we were able to brake and steer, but had no forward or backward gears. We had to interrupt our trip, have the state trooper give my wife and kids a ride to the next town, and have the care towed to the nearest Ford dealership. It cost $1250 and took ten days to fix the torque converter which had also damaged the rod that goes to it. Fortunately it did not melt the transmission )or so they told me).

- Shoreview, MN, USA

Jan 152011

While driving at 35 mph on a 4 lane road vehicle suddenly lost ability to accelerate vehicle gave no warning just stopped acceleration. Was able to coast off roadway into parking lot. Mechanic stated the torque converter was the cause

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Jan 132010

About 6 mo. Ago I saw a defect relative to my vehicle, however, the Ford co. Never sent me anything to bring my car in to correct the defect. Why are they not required to inform the car owners of these defects and have them require owners to bring them in so the Ford co. Can do the repairs no charge?

- Roseville, CA, USA

Nov 142006

Very high pitched squealing noise coming from front wheels. Noise begins approximately 15 minutes after beginning driving. Noise is intermittent but very irritating to passers by and other drivers. Noise "lightens" or lessens when brakes are applied and when slightly turning the steering wheel. I believe it to be wheel bearings/hub bearings. Very similar description to complaints I have read and I believe it is related to the recall #04S24. My vehicle was produced at the Oakville assembly plant, but was produced before the dates listed in the current form of the recall. My vehicle only has 66,000 miles on it and is very well maintained. I request that this recall be expanded immediately and that remedy is offered swiftly.

- Marysville, OH, USA

Feb 262008

Bought van in June 2007 nothing but problems since. Replaced battery within 2 months of purchase. Replace O2 sensors 3 times and need done again. Replaced transmission, radiator, egr valve, brakes 4 times, tie rod 2 times, calibers 2 times, rotors 3 times, fuel line, you name it, we have had to fix it. Nothing but problems. We have spent close to 8K since Feb 2008 on this vehicle and we can not get Ford to help us at all. Now the axles need replaced as well as sensors again. The dvd player quit working after 4 months, driver side heated seats quit working after 4 months. Back passenger door sometimes won't open or unlock and sometimes it won't close when you try to close it. This vehicle has put my family in serious harm and we almost got into major accident do to most of the issues ie transmission stalled on interstate and had no warning at all. Worst vehicle of all times. I can not trade in becasue I owe over 11K on this piece of crap. Ford needs to refund me all of my money and suffering as well. I have thought about suing them for damages and selling this crap to us especially with 3 small children and having to travel to see family due to husband being a marine and always being deployed. Almost missed seeing my grandpa for the last time before he did back in Sept because of the transmission. This vehicle needs to be off of the roads forever. All of them. Everyone that we know that has these vehicles have the same problems as us.

- Ft. Meade, MD, USA