9.2

$1,875.00

2. replaced torque converter (3 reports)
  3. replaced the torque converter spline drive (1 reports)
2004 Ford Freestar transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments

Dec 262011

Freestar SEL 4.2L

Since our van would not move without the repair, we had it done and picked the van up on December 29, 2011. The van has performed excellently since then.

I was notified of the recall on the Freestar vans in March 2012. I called the dealer's service manager in April 2012 and was told to bring my receipt and recall letter in May and they would tell me what to do to get my refund. I did that on May 4, 2012 and was told that the manager had called Ford and that they would be getting back to me in June.. They have had my money almost five months.

I AM A FORD RETIREE. WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY MONEY NOW WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT THROUGH ALL THIS ??????????????

- , Byrdstown, TN, USA

Mar 052012

Freestar ES 4.2L V6

The good news is that the dealer told me that a notice had just recently come around to Ford dealers which allows the repair to be done at no cost to me, and they will cover my rental and my tow. Other Freestar owners (2004 and 2005) need to know this. A recall letter is going out.

However, why did it take a class action suit in the United States in 2010 to make Ford so 'gracious' to it's customers? If this had happened to me a couple of months ago, I would have been out of pocket at least $2,000.00. I was doing 110 kph in the passing lane on a freeway with traffic all around me when the tranny went into neutral, the engine rpms doubled and I lost all drive gears.

- , Kemptville, Ontario, canada

Sep 072012

Freestar SEL 4.2L

Transmission slipped and then died suddenly. Had torque convertor recall so was towed to dealer. Dealer informed me that the torque convertor was basically welded to the transmission,would not come off,and transmission would have to be replaced at my expense.Contacted Ford. Ford acknowledged that the part to be recalled had failed causing the issue, but they would not offer ANY assistance other than replacing the recalled torque convertor....(Which cannot be performed since it cannot be removed from the transmission).

- , Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Nov 112010

Freestar

Ford will not make right on the 2004 Freestar Recall. They will not pay me what I paid to have it fixed. The they said they will give me a portion of what I paid to have it fixed (by a Ford dealer mind you) -OR- they will replace it. I told them that they replaced it with another torque converter that was recalled so they should pay me what I paid to have it fixed AND replace it. They told me "no, it's one or the other". Not right Ford! Here is a facebook page for anyone having the same problem. Perhaps if we join forces Ford will have to make right on their recall.

- , Trevor, WI, USA

Jul 022012

Freestar

While driving on the highway, my Freetar will just shut off! 4 times his has happened and 2 of those times my wife and 3 small children were stranded. Every mechanic give me a different reason and no fix! To date, I have spent over $1,500 and the damn thing still is not fixed. Ford really need to fix this issue. I am currently looking to trade it for another mini van that's not a Ford. Heaven forbid my family is hurt b/c of this annoying problem, It is going to take Ford a week to finish putting the zeros on my check.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 112011

Freestar

We had the torque convertor go out, which then sent shreds of metal thru the transmission. We then took the vehicle to AAMCO and paid for a rebuilt transmission.We had learned not to trust Ford with repairs. Now I hear of a massive recall coming in April 2012. Why should thousands of people who have experienced this exact problem and already payed out of pocket have to wait until April to have their money refunded? As a further insult we have gotten two "offers" from Ford to give us extra money to trade in the Freestar because of a "need for minivans". Of course this offer expires before the recall goes into effect. Someone please tell me how to sign onto a class action lawsuit against Ford for these arrogant business practices.

- , RnchSantaMargarita, CA, USA

Aug 172011

Freestar 4.2L

Was backing into my driveway. Failed without warning. No forward or reverse.

Lucky that we were not on the road.

Had it towed to our local transmission repair shop (the one that the dealers use).

The splines on the torque converter were stripped. Replaced with a better quality aftermarket unit.

- , Greenfield, IN, USA

Jan 102012

Freestar

My wife and daughter were driving home this past Tuesday Jan. 10 when she rounded a bend on an uphill curve, in the rain, the transmission just stopped working. They were lucky they weren't hit from behind. This morning Jan 12, while I was waiting for the wrecker to come and pick up the van and take it to the transmission repair shop I decided to see how much the this is going to cost and do some research on the problem. I was surprised to find this recall. After calling the dealership and explaining the recall to them( they had no idea of the recall) I rerouted the wrecker to the dealership. Now after dealing with the dealership all day I can explain what they are doing. They are checking to make sure that the torque converter is the problem and if it is they will replace it. They told me something odd though, They aren't going to replace it if it is not bad even though it is recalled, makes no sense to me. They told me that if the torque converter was not the problem that I would have to pay $810.00 for them to disassemble and reassemble the transmission while not changing the torque converter. They said that they are 95% sure that that is the problem but they won't know until they disassemble it. They also said that if it is part of the recall that they should allow for a rental while they are working on it. They learned all of this from the customer service at ford. I hope that this information helps somebody else. Right now I am in a wait and see holding pattern hoping it is the problem stated in the recall. Oh by the way this is the second transmission in this vehicle.

- , Columbus, MS, USA

Sep 132011

Freestar SE

I purchased my 2004 Freestar new. Two years ago I had the tourk converster replaced. Yesterday I was driving down the highway when the car accelerated then felt like it went out of gear. I had the van towed to the shop where they stated it was the torque converter AGAIN!!! How many of these do I need to replace? If the part is bad fix it!! All we do is keep replacing a bad part with one that will go bad again.

- , Jupiter, florida, USA

Jan 012009

Freestar SE

I was driving on the highway and my car lurched forward and suddenly stopped. I was able to coast to the side of the road where I had to call a tow truck to take my car to the repair shop to have the torque converter replaced. If I was unable to get my car to the shoulder it would have caused a serious accident.

- , Jupiter, florida, USA