CarComplaints.com Notes: The Freestar was introduced in 2004, but it was essentially just a rebranded Windstar. While there was a redesign of the interior and exterior, the Freestar still inherited some of the design flaws of its predecessor.

9.3

$2,865.00

1. ford needs a recall (12 reports)
  2. replaced with rebuilt transmission (8 reports)
  3. replaced with rebuilt transmission $2800 (8 reports)
  5. replace transmission (3 reports)
  6. minimum: replace torque converter. maybe rebuild tran (2 reports)
2004 Ford Freestar transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 162011

Freestar LS

Transmission went out without warning. Was left stranded out of town in winter with children. Transmission should last the life of vehicle with no issues. Typical "Found on Road Dead" (FORD)

- , Webberville, MI, USA

Mar 012011

Freestar 3.9L

THIS HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES.I WAS OUT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS ON TOW FEES.YOU WOULD GET IN TO GO SOMEWHERE AND DEPENDING ON WHAT IT WANTED TO DO,YOU MIGHT HAVE A TRANSMISSION OR NOT.I WOULD HAVE IT TOWED HOME,AS SOON AS IT WAS UNLOADED I COULD GET IN AND DRIVE IT WHEREVER,THE NEXT DAY OR TWO I WOULD GET IN AND NO TRANSMISSION.FINALLY AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS I TOOK IT TO FORD WHERE THEY SAID IT NEEDED $3,700 IN REPAIRS,TOWED IT HOME AND DROVE IT ABOUT 4 MONTHS THEN ONE DAY NO TRANS! SO IS IT REALLY THE TRANSMISSION OR SOME OTHER PROBLEM THEY CANT FIGURE OUT? ALL I KNOW IS WHEN MY FREESTAR ACTS UP,I CAN DO ONE SIMPLE LITTLE THING,WHICH COSTS ME ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY,TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES,AND IT DRIVES PERFECT FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS.I CANT TELL YOU WHAT I DO TO IT,CAUSE ITS MY SECRET,BUT IT WILL GET ME BY TILL ITS PAYED OFF.IM NOT PUTTING ANOTHER PENNY IN REPAIRS.IT WAS THE FIRST FORD IV'E OWNED AND IT WILL BE THE LAST.

- , Martinsville, IN, USA

Sep 212011

Freestar SES 3.9L V6

I believed that if I got the best van I could and stuck to the maintenance schedule I'd be fine. Nope, just delayed the inevitable YOUR TRANSMISSION WILL GO OUT, its a simple matter of when and it will happen without warning. All I can say is call Ford ASAP @ 1 800 392-3673. Takes 10 minutes and they will issue a mea culpa once enough of these things get reported!

- , Cedar Springs, MI, USA

Aug 262011

Freestar SE 3.9L V6

I've been a supporter of Ford for years, but they've let me down too many times. I'd ready about Ford Freestar Transmission problems after people told me my car would have a problem.

The transmission light has gone on several times, but no codes were recorded. Now, a transmission shop has discovered that, at a minimum the torque converter needs to be replaced ($1,500) and possibly, the transmission wil need a complete rebuild $3,000.

This problem is exactly what has caused a class action lawsuit which was filed in Maryland.

There are way too many similar problems for this to be a result of driver abuse. Ford built a defective transmission and has refused to do right by its owners.

I will consider a Ford product in the future only if they do the right thing and pay for the problems and aggravation they have caused their loyal customers.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 012011

Freestar SE

Transmission failed on busy highway with my wife and our four small children aboard. Almost hit by semi-trailer. Ford knows of the issues but fails to acknowlege or make it right. Previous loyal Ford owner. So disappointed by Ford's irresponsibility.

- , Weirton, WV, USA

Jan 012008

Freestar SE

transmission failure #1 at 59k, transmission was replace with another unit at this time.

- , West Branch, MI, USA

Nov 122011

Freestar ES 4.2L

i was driving on the highway, going 80 km, then transmission stopped, or something. all i could do was rev the rpm. plus 2 kids in the back of the van. nice way to start the weekend.

- , Huntingdin, QC, canada

Jul 202011

Freestar ES

Coming home from work 7/20/2011, i passed a car, and just got back on my side,when i lost all power like the transmission slammed into neutral.The car now behind me that i just passed, almost hit me in the back inn,then i almost went into a lake trying to get off the road.I have always been a ford guy,but if they dont have a recall on 2004 freestars, i,ll never buy another one.It cost $3,500 to replace.

- , Silver Springs, NV, USA

Feb 282010

Freestar 4.2L

MY WARRANTY HAD JUST RUN OUT AND SUDDENLY MY TRANSMISSION FAILED. I WAS SITTING IN TRAFFIC AND THEN IT JUST WOULDN'T MOVE. HAD IT TOWED IN THINKING MY WARRANTY WAS STILL IN EFFECT. WELL IT WASN'T. IT HAD RUN OUT 2 MONTHS PRIOR. UPON READING ALL OF THE PROBLEMS WITH TRANSMISSIONS IN THE FREESTAR. I THINK FORD SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

- , Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jul 072011

Freestar SES 3.9L

I was pulling up to an intersection with my 2 kids in the van and started to make a left turn to have the vehicle not move when i pressed the gas. The intersection is a fast moving and on a sudden curve and found myself in the path of an18 wheeler struggling to stop. Lucky for us it stopped with about 6 feet to spare. I looked online to see if this has happened to anyone else and found many cases of this condition. I contacted my local dealer for a price and they seem to be well aware of the problem and it seems Ford chooses to ignore it. I consider myself lucky that today we were not the first reported deaths of this problem that would lead to the necessary action to see that this does not happen to someone else.

- , Lowell, MA, USA

Jun 182011

Freestar

This is the second FORD transmission to go bad in my stinking 2004 Freestar. This time we were on the freeway and it completely died. Since it just happened yesterday I haven't attempted to get it repaired. The towing, cost of a rental car and completely F-ed up day it more then I can handle at the moment. Never buy a ford again.

May 052010

Freestar

Dam thing went just after the warrenty. They must have planned it that way. Never buy a Ford again. I'll report the second transmission failing in just a moment when I finished with this one.

Jul 172011

Freestar SE

On Sunday, July 17, 2011, I had just driven onto the freeway, and was getting up to freeway speeds of about 50, when I noticed that the van felt like it was not wanting to accelerate and the transaxle light started flashing on the left side of the controls panel. The van felt like it was stuck in mud and didn’t want to pick up speed, and when I tried to accelerate, even the slightest bit, to maintain my speed on the busy freeway, the RPMs went way up and it made a squealing sound, so I didn’t want to push it. I let the van coast and got off the freeway at the next exit. Once I was off the freeway, the van would drive without the RPMs going up, as long as I kept it under 35 miles an hour, and didn’t have to accelerate to go up a hill, so I dropped off my son’s girlfriend at her house and slowly drove the van back to my house and parked it.

A quick search on the internet produced dozens if not hundreds of stories just like this. The cost to fix the transmission is likely to be as much as the trade-in value on the car so I’m not sure what I’ll do with the van now.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 032011

Freestar SE

About everyday now for the past few months I am having a hard time getting my Freestar into gear. It is to the point that is occurs everyday. I know this is the torque converter AGAIN!!! I had the same thing replaced two years ago! and at that time the mechanic said this is a common problem with the Ford Freestar! I know that ford is aware of this problem they need to correct it!! Now Ford if there is no problem with this then why am I having to replace the same part again!!!

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 102011

Freestar

My family and I were on our way home from a camping trip and were about 30 minutes from home, when the RPMs started racing and the car started slowing down. We pulled over to the side of the 3 lane highway that we were on and realized that we had no drive or reverse. It was a really hot day and I had a bad case of vertigo. We had to wait for a friend to come from our home town to pick us all up, a tow truck to come and tow the car all the way to our home town. Another tow truck was needed to tow the van to the transmission shop the next day. My daughter and I had to rent a car to get to her college orientation, since we didn't have use of the van that day. My husband had to travel back to the van with his other car to empty all of our camping gear before he and our 2 young boys could eat dinner.

- , Howell, MI, USA

Jul 062011

Freestar ES

First off, we haven't had any major repairs on this van and that has been good, but a few weeks ago while I was driving my children to a soccer tournament in San Antonio; I saw a yellow lite transaxle lite with a exclamation mark..I looked it up and had my husband check out the transmission...oil and all seemed fine, but we realized that I only saw the light when I was in cruise control..turned it off and the light went off. This morning I was taking my sons to school and got into the car, started up just like normal; went to back out of the driveway...car wouldn't move...it went into gear as normal,,but didn't go forward or backward...I have been reading so many reviews and all the problems people or having with this same issue and it sickens me that FORD has done NOTHING....I just made my last payment....and don't have any money to put into this car when there is no fix..it just keeps happening over and over,,after thousands of dollars..

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

May 142011

Freestar Sport 4.3L

After going to the USA, and leaving customs, I drove onto I 94 and went about 1 mile, around a bend into the city, and then nothing. The transmission quit. it coasted approximately 1 city block and I pulled it to the shoulder of the road. I had to wait from 9:00 PM until 12 midnite for a wrecker to take me back to the bridge, and then till 3 AM to have a second wrecker to tow me back into Canada and then to the repair shop.. After 3 days and $2850>00, I got the van back. I am the same as others, TICKED OFF that a vehicle that was owned by are retired lady, and never driven hard, and My wife, who will never drive hard in her life, has a vehicle with out a scratch, and only approx 60,000 miles would start to disintegrate like that, and FORD WILL NOT BACK THE VEHICLE UP . I THINK Mr Ford would be rolling over in his grave to find out what kind of vehicles that they are producing now. I think, NO, I KNOW, that I will never buy another ford vehicle. As far as this van is concerned, it is hard to trust something that will let you down without warning like that.... Al

- , Corunna, Ontario Canada, Canada

Jun 212011

Freestar

Piece of rubbish. I HATE FORD!!! & well never ever buy another.

Jun 242011

Freestar 3.9L

I have just read tons of complaints about this being a common problem with the Ford Freestar Vans! I have loved this van for over 5 years of ownership! I was on my way to Philadelphia to take Nancy to her Neurologist when it let us down, 37 miles from home with no warning! I just got it paid off in Dec 2010,and this is all we need now! $2500-$3300 to repair, My fiance and myself are both on social security. She is very disabled and in a wheelchair! It will be fun trying to get a loan on a fixed income when we can't even afford our meds as it is! THANKS FORD!

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Nov 192010

Freestar Limited 4.2L

Ford denied to repair. The transmission had water in it. The car was never in a flooded area.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA