2005 Ford Freestar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 112016

An incident from about a month ago: After traveling on the freeway and coming to a stop at a red light at the off ramp at 2am, my car began to sputter and rev. I proceeded to the next red light where my car shut off. Every time I started it, it would shut off right away. I drive for a taxi service and luckily I did not have passengers in the car with me at the time. I called a family member to come look and help. He ended up pushing my car with his into a nearby parking lot. After some investigation, I concluded it was the PCM. It was taken out to dry completely and the windshield area where water may have leaked into it was sealed with silicone. It started working again fine and has been since then. Now it has rained again and the problem has reoccurred. Today, after driving on the freeway and entering a neighborhood, my trans-axle light started blinking. Then my oil and battery light appeared and seconds after my steering wheel stopped turning and the car shut off. I was able to park in the street and restart the car, but once I put it in drive and moved about 1 foot, the car shut off again. It will turn on and stay idle, but once I start moving, it shuts off again. It has been raining the past 2 days. I suspect it is from the same issue as before. I also had my children in the car with me as I was taking them to school. I'm very lucky this did not happen on the freeway or major street.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 142015

Drove the vehicle 1 mile to kids school on the way back it lost power, wouldn't accelerate.. the #40 fuse was blown and every time I replace it as soon as I turn the key on it blows again. Can't drive it and just seems like electrical problems keep occurring with it last time was water in the PCM causing other issues, may be the PCM again I don't know but these free stars are bad for this evidently.. bad design and definitely bad for business..

- Corbin , KY, USA

Aug 122015

For a few years now various electrical thing have been going on my mini van. The screen that shows mileage, etc. Has a short and can only be seen when it's really dark out at night. Awhile later, as I was driving, my cruise control gave out and no longer works. Now the light for my clock and the screen that tells cardinal directions and the temp outside is dead. I am concerned that this electrical issue could be dangerous. I didn't know about this website to report it till now.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

May 252015

Van got up to 50 mph and stalled out and then completely lost power. I took it to a mechanic and he said the computer component was full of water. Computer had to be replaced.

- Owosso, MI, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving at various speeds during rainy weather conditions, all of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Paris, KY, USA

Apr 102015

Freestar 6-cyl

All gauges lost power on & off each day, until today shut off for good (4-10-15). Also, at first (Dec. 2014) lost lights on inside of vehicle & did not effect outside lights until recently when outside also out. Has happened multiple times since first noticed. At first signal lights worked, but not now. Also A/C & radio do not work, plus the doors, windows do not open or close as well. The only door which opens is the drivers door with the key. Sometimes everything comes on & off by itself, (even cd player & radio, but now does not work), when I get in the car to start it. I checked my battery which was still good, and put in a new alternator this month (April), but the problem has been going on since last December. At first in Dec. The mechanic said he had to reset something, and then it was ok for a couple of months until February, 2015. Then it began to start up again, and I replaced the alternator last month (March). The noise & problems were happening at random, crackling noise under the dashboard and under the drivers side under the steering wheel, but then it has occurred more often. As of today 4-10-15 they are all happening, so I can not drive the van now due to the lose of the signals, lights, and not being able to open the doors or windows. I checked under the steering wheel and saw a tiny light going on & off and then it went off and so did everything else which was working before. The noise was around that light area near a black box. What is causing this? I feel it is dangerous to drive the van.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Feb 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving down the road, the van will suddenly die. All alarms, engine light, ABS, traction control. Will go off. Sudenly there is no power. Van will start right back up and drive again. This has been going on for over a year. I have had it at 7 different mechanics, including the Ford dealership where I purchased the vehicle. It has happened at all different speeds, 20-65, also happens if stalled at a stop light or drive-thru. Additionally, I can be driving at 25-35mph and the RPM's will shoot up to 7000 or fall all the way down like you are idleing. Vehicle makes noises like it is going to blow up and then will be fine.

- Paoli, IN, USA

Jun 042014

In 06/2014 my van transmission light came on then went out. I thought it was nothing as time progress I notice that my van was slow and hard shifting. I took it to the nearest transmission auto shop and they told me it was my internal transmission failing. I put it in the shop and the repair cost $1200 to fix. It got it out worked fine for a few days then started back slow and hard shifting again. Took it back to mechanic they said they don't see anything wrong with it. I did this several and had no luck with it. 08/2014 I started having more noticeable electrical problems like dash board lights come on now and then radio resets it self sometimes it wont work at not even the dvd player. The doors wont lock alarm goes off when it wants to and power sliding wont close. So I only drove the van around time limiting my trips contacted Ford no help there. Then winter comes in all of sudden my van works great dash board lights working dvd and radio working fine most importantly my van transmission was shifting properly but then on warmer days it starts to act up again.on 02/16/20015 my children and I was on our way to get groceries for the winter storm that was coming, the lost power and died luckily was close to home that I could pull over start it again and make it home safely. Then today it will not start up at all. Im a single mother of five young daughters and my oldest daughter and I are both disabled. We depend on this vehicle to get back and forth to our doctors appt. Im planning have a mechanic check my PCM and to see if its water damage. But I've notice several fellow Ford owners are going through similar problems. I don't know why Ford not willing to own up to their life threatening mistakes.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 042014

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving at 70 mph the van stopped running. I was unable to restart it. I also lost all ability to steer. This happened during a very busy time on the highway. I was stranded in the middle of a lane with traffic around me continuing to go 70 miles per hour. After researching, my mechanic found that the problem is the PCM is getting wet due to a design flaw by Ford Motor Company. This was a very dangerous situation for me to be in. The van continues to have problems with moisture even though the PCM has been changed and all known areas have been sealed. This vehicle is dangerous.

- Freeland, MI, USA

Dec 242014

Freestar 6-cyl

On christmas eve 2014 I got into my recently purchased 2005 Ford Freestar minivan to run a short errand. After starting my Freestar I put it in reverse but the vehicle would not move. I tried all the forward gears with the same result, the vehicle would not move. The engine RPM's would go up but no movement. I turned the vehicle engine off and on several time with the same results each time. I had to wait till the day after christmas to contact my local Ford dealership service department and describe my problem. They looked up my VIN number and said that all recalls on my vehicle had been done including the torque converter recall. I then had my Freestar towed to the dealership to investigate the problem. Upon investigation it was determined that water had gotten into my powertrain control module, and that is what was causing the problem. They removed the module and dried it and the connector out then reinstalled it and sealed it. After reinstalling the module they then started the vehicle and were able to shift the vehicle into all the gears and get the transmission to fully function, but now there was a service engine light on. The vehicle now would not idle properly and had a hesitation when trying to accelerate. It was determined after further checks that there were fuel codes coming up and that they were related to the PCM getting wet. It was determined that the powertrain control module (which Ford no longer manufactures) would need to be replaced. To fix the problem it would be a cost of $1000 for a re-manufactured module and reprogramming in addition to the $650 that had already been incurred for the work that had been done so far. Note there had been no problems or issues or engine codes on this vehicle till this problem occurred other than a problem one night with the power door locks not working, which corrected itself after restarting the vehicle.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

Nov 292014

Freestar 6-cyl

My 2005 Freestar failed to maintain forward speed at 65 miles per hour when it bucked and bucked then stalled looked on line for answer? yes PCM is water damaged trying to dry it out now hope it works sounds like Ford is waiting for someone to get hurt.relocated the PCM and save alot for your company its just right to do tsb isn't doing it please and thank you

- Moravia, IA, USA

Nov 182014

While drive the car will stall out and shut off with no warning. In a normal city block it happened at least two times B.

- Dickson City, PA, USA

Aug 162012

Freestar 6-cyl

We have owned our 2005 Ford Freestar since May 2012. In August 2012 and going forward we have experienced many problems with the locking systems. The automatic locks will not unlock via the key fob or the door button. And because Ford designed the rear hatch / doors without a manual key input. It becomes impossible to unlock the doors. This is especially concerning because there is no way to manually open the rear hatch. This is a serious flaw that could have very serious consequences. There should always be a way to unlock all of the doors from the outside of the vehicle. As a mother of two kids, I know that my kids would not be able to get out of the vehicle if they needed to when one of these episodes happen. It is also a concern if a large item is loaded into the back of the van, then the malfunction happens and your customer can't get it out. This just happened to my husband. We lost out on my husband being paid because he was late to his show because of this ridiculous malfunction that every Ford Freestar owner is experiencing. I googled the problem and it is disgusting that so many customers have to deal with this issue. Fix it now Ford!

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

Vehicle control center states ABS is not functioning. Traction control not functioning. Cruise control works intermittently. Alarm system triggers intermittently. ABS and traction control failure causes vehicle to be difficult to drive. Dealership states is common issue and there is a tsb on the issue. Requires ABS module and hcu module.

- Horton, AL, USA

Feb 072014

Freestar 6-cyl

The light for the powertrain malfunction started flashing after we had the alternator changed. Do not know if it was just a coincidence but the speedometer also stopped working.

- Pleasantville, IA, USA

Jul 132014

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving home van starting shuttering violently then shut off while still rolling lost all power, was safely able to get to side of road. Told issue cost 1500 to fix seen Ford service bulletin on defect of water getting to PCM on internet.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Jul 122014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the sliding door lock failed and could not be unlocked electronically or manually. The local mechanic stated that the power control module was defective. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 172014

Heavy rain all day and the water was leaking on the main computer board. Causing the van to stall out and resulting in a $100 tow bill. The shop told me it is leaking and needs to be replaced and sealed.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Jan 062014

Freestar 6-cyl

Coming into my parking lot, I lost power steering. It appears that I have a leak. But before this happened, I had some odd sounds happening and some other minor issues with the vehicle that at the time seemed unrelated. Then I lost my steering. I bought this vehicle used in '09, so I expected a few issues along the way. This is not the first major issue I have had, as I had to have the tranny recall issue repaired about a year or two ago. (what is it with Ford thinking it is more cost efficient to allow people to get harmed than to fix a problem?!!! unfortunately I have not had the income to buy a non-Ford vehicle, but mark my words, when I do have the income, I will no longer be a Ford driver.) not the first time that I have had to get recall work done either, I now have to get the rear seat fixed yet, but cannot drive it to the dealer to get it fixed because I don't have power steering! ironic? hhmmmm...I wonder. My car has been sitting since Jan 6 2014. No money to fix it until now. Thanks Ford -please note: Said with sarcasm.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Apr 152014

Freestar 6-cyl

I would like to report the failure of a company and a van. I recently purchased a 2005 Ford Freestar for my family of five that has been the worst decision of my life. A month after I experienced what too many other owner have also experienced. Water in the PCM, this almost resulted in a crash and injury to me and my family. Stalling out without warning at any speed. This known issue has gone on too long without any response from Ford company. I am not a believer in someone has to die for there to be change. Also don't appreciate the cost of this job over $1000. I was fortunate to not be on the highway and crash. Although then we might get our money back. This has also led to other issues that has become a chain reaction of failure. I will keep my receipt for as long as I have to.

- Watervliet, NY, USA