2005 Ford Freestar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving 45 mph in a heavy rain when my vehicle began to sputter and check engine light began flashing. I started to pull over, but light went off and engine ran fine. After several days of rain engine would hesitate in acceleration and would feel like it was missing. It began only occasionally and usually when traveling up hill. It progressively got worse, especially after rain or being washed. Investigated and found this to be a common problem with this model with the power control module getting wet. Today while driving on the interstate check engine light began flashing and engine hesitated, then check engine light stayed on. Very dangerous situation to feel like my van was going to stall at 70 mph with my family in the car.

- Morganton, NC, USA

Oct 082010

Freestar 6-cyl

After driving in or after a hard rain, the engine light comes on and the engine runs very rough and often stops. Has happened while driving on highway at 55mph. Cowl was removed at dealership to prevent water intrusion in oct2010, but same problem started happening again in 2012...

- Wallingford, PA, USA

Jun 212012

I was driving my Freestar home, pulling into my complex when the battery light came on, then a second later the brake light, then all the power to the van was lost. I had no control, the entire electrical system went out, the engine shut off, I had to rub the van up against the curb to stop it. When I got it going again and parked in my parking spot the battery light came on again and I lost all power again. The next day I replaced the battery as I was told it could be a battery issue, but even with the new battery the light was still on. I had the alternator and the battery cables checked and it was fine. Then I was told it maybe the PCM which is a known issue with this model and what I experienced is the identified issue...this is very serious as I was bring home my family home and we just got off the highway like 5-10 minutes before this thing shut down on me, if this was the highway we could have been seriously hurt. Plus now I can't even drive because the part is not available, it's on back order, so this must mean a lot of people are having this issue. We need to have a recall on this before people get hurt or killed, especially when it's a known issue !!!!!

- Brampton, FL, USA