1.6

2005 Ford Freestar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 242014

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving approximately 30 mph, the front passenger side of the vehicle began to jerk and an unfamiliar warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 072016

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While the vehicle was at a stop, the rpms surged to 2,000 and the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure also occurred when the brakes were applied. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a leak in the manifold, which needed to be replaced. The contact took the vehicle to two certified mechanics who diagnosed that there was no leak in the manifold. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer a second time and was informed that they were unable to be specify the exact failure. The dealer stated that the throttle body and other unidentified components needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jan 182016

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving at different speeds, the vehicle would idle high and also hesitate as if it would stall. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Apr 062015

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving at highway rate of speed, the engine back fired and drastically reduced speed causing the contact to have to drive less than 30 mph. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was awaiting a diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,834. Parts distribution disconnect. Updated 03/11/16

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 222015

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed intermittently without warning and the engine stalled. The vehicle became increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000. The VIN was not available.

- South Park , PA, USA

Jun 292015

Freestar

Because of a recall letter we took it in to uptown Ford for the torque converter replacement on 09/05/2014. The repairs were completed. On 06/29/2015 while driving on a highway in pewaukee, with our four small children in the back, the van lost forward and reverse power and could have easily, but fortunately did not, resulted in a crash; the engine continued to run, steering and braking were unaffected and the electrical system remained functional. I was able to have to van towed right away to our local mechanics shop that day (6/29/15). The following day (06/30/2015) I called uptown to see if they could take a look at it because that was where to recall replacement was performed. Fred in the repairs department said he couldn't look at it until July 8th and then the repair would take up to a week to complete if it was the transmission/torque converter. They had rental cars for $13-35/day, but did not have any vans or something that would accommodate our whole family (4 car seats). I called the # for Ford from the recall letter to get some guidance R.E. this problem. I spoke to jackie. She said that if it was an issue with the torque converter it would only be covered if the van was within 12 months of the recall replacement or within 12,000 miles. It was within 12 months, but was about 200 miles past the 12,000 mile mark. It was repaired at 87,670 miles and the odometer at the time of break-down was at 99,800+, making it outside of the "warranty" period. So, I moved forward with the repairs at our mechanics automotive. The total cost for the transmission replacement was $2,259.84. Afterwards I was informed that recalls cannot have a limited warranty such as the one that was described to me by the csr (jackie) at Ford on 06/30/2015. This is a problem that put my family into harms way and a repair of that problem that should have been covered by Ford/uptown.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jun 192015

Freestar

I was driving on an inclined off ramp towards my destination. My car once it got to the top of the incline began to slow down and the rpms were excelerating and all of a sudden my car came to a stop I was then spooked so I turned my car off and then turned it back on and it was making a loud revving sound and wouldnt go into any gears.. so now my car is just stuck and I topped off all of my fluids.. I really dont know what to do.. im a mother of two and also a fulltime employee.. and I really cant be with out a vehicle!! help!!

- Chanute, KS, USA

Apr 012014

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving at various speeds during rainy weather conditions, all of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Paris, KY, USA

Feb 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving down the road, the van will suddenly die. All alarms, engine light, ABS, traction control. Will go off. Sudenly there is no power. Van will start right back up and drive again. This has been going on for over a year. I have had it at 7 different mechanics, including the Ford dealership where I purchased the vehicle. It has happened at all different speeds, 20-65, also happens if stalled at a stop light or drive-thru. Additionally, I can be driving at 25-35mph and the RPM's will shoot up to 7000 or fall all the way down like you are idleing. Vehicle makes noises like it is going to blow up and then will be fine.

- Paoli, IN, USA

Feb 232015

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle jerked and a loud noise was heard near the front of the vehicle. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate as the rpms reduced. The check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V006000 (power train). The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Mar 022015

Freestar

Engine seized due to defective intake manifold gasket used by Ford motor when vehicle was assembled. This causes antifreeze to enter oil pan without warning and contamination of engine oil. Technician affirms the engine bearings are destroyed and van requires replacement engine.

- Solon, OH, USA

May 152014

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cowl needed to be sealed. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred two additional times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 182015

Freestar 6-cyl

Vehicle loses power, erratically shifts gears, RPM gauge bounces around and check engine light comes on. I later find that the error code is P1740 (torque converter clutch inductive signature malfunction) after further research I see that there was a recall for this model and year of vehicle for this exact problem yet my specific vehicle is not covered under the recall. I bought this vehicle from a used car dealership and I believe they knew about this problem beforehand and kept it from me, telling me how good and reliable this vehicle is. The vehicle still drives for now but who knows how long and whether any additional damage may be done just by continuing driving it. I bought this because we needed a safe family vehicle and now I'm out all the money I spent on it without enough left to fix it. I obviously can't drive my family around in it and risk it just shutting off in the middle of driving down the road.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jan 162015

Freestar 6-cyl

I was mid turn when the gas pedal stopped working with a loud grinding sound. It would not shift back into gear and the loud grinding sound still persists.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 152010

Freestar 6-cyl

Drove through a puddle and the engine quit. Apparently, the water splashed the on board computer (PCM). I towed vehicle to the dealer and they implemented the Ford technical service bulletin (tsb) reference number(s): 06-14-10, vehicle worked fine until the fall of 2014. Now the vehicle won't start at all if it sits out in the rain. If it does the water gets into the PCM and prevents it from starting. Now it appears as though water is intruding somewhere else and it is confounding the PCM (engine computer) with more water / moisture. The car is now worthless to me and I will have to scrap it since it cannot operate in a normal midwestern climate. I surely do not want to spend another $1500 to $2500 to fix the problem only to find out it is temporary. This is simply a design flaw. Ford should recall these vehicles and pay off the owners to have them destroyed since the wet PCM can cause the car to stall when accelerating or simply driving down a rainy road.

- Canton, MI, USA

Nov 182014

Freestar

While drive the car will stall out and shut off with no warning. In a normal city block it happened at least two times B.

- Dickson City, PA, USA

Sep 222014

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving at normal speed the engine shuts off. This has happened five times in the last week. When the engine shuts off there is no power steering, brakes, or control of the vehicle. The first time it happened, I was driving my family down the road at 60 mph when the motor just died. I was able to pull the van off the side of the road and stop. I restarted the motor and it ran fine. When I got home I put the van in neutral, and revved the engine. It shut off again. My wife was driving and it happened to her with the children with her. She said she could not steer the van when it died. It scared her very badly. There is no check engine light, therefore there is no code to tell me what is wrong. The motor just shuts down without warning. If this happened at the wrong time it will result in a very bad traffic accident. I have research this problem online, and have found several Ford Freestar vans having the same problem. So this is not an isolated incident.

- Denton, NC, USA

Aug 102014

Freestar 6-cyl

The engine repeatedly sputtered and stalled on my way home during a bad rain. It runs with no problems during dry weather, leading me to believe there is a leak causing an issue.

- La Grange, KY, USA

Jul 172014

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving at approximately 35mph the vehicle stalled out and lost all power (engine running smooth before this). Fortunately was able to safely coast to side of road. After short while able to restart van and drive short distance. Stall repeated and had to coast to side of road again. Again able to restart and get home (less than a mile). Had heavy rain day before, research has revealed this to be a very common problem with this vehicle and is most likely water leak onto pmc. This is a safety hazard that needs to be addressed, this could have happened while towing camper in two weeks with family on highway.

- Westborough, MA, USA

Jul 052014

Freestar 6-cyl

This has happened several time over last year or so that I have owned this vehicle. When driving down highway and it starts to rain cars sputters and seems to loose power. Twice it has stalled on me going 55 miles an hour on highway and have had to try and coast to side of road in traffic with people beeping with loss of steering. Luckily both times after a few mins the vehicle started again and was able to make it home. Have changed wires and plugs, runs fines in dry weather but still stutters and tries to stall when its wet out or rains! very dangerous and wont let wife take kids out when it rains in fear they will get stuck somewhere.

- North Providence, RI, USA