2005 Ford Freestar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 142012

Freestar 6-cyl

In February 2012 I went to for check engine let they said it was erg value. I fix. Then in April 14th I was driving down freeway and my van lost acceleration power I put hazards on and manage to get to other side of freeway. My car would start but would not go in forward or reverse. I had to then get towed since was they weekend and I was the middle of no where I towed to home. Also, the weekend no Ford dealers/ service centers are open.

- Aumsville, OR, USA

Feb 272012

Freestar 6-cyl

I just received a safety recall notice 11S25 / NHTSA recall 12V-006 everytime I drive my van it does not seem to want to accelerate or maintain speed. I have taken it to the mechanic and I was told that I needed to have a new egr valve put on, so I did. That did not fix the problem and I was told new spark plugs and wires so I had them replace, that did not fix the problem. Then I was told that I may need a new fuel filter, so I had it replaced and once again that did not solve the problem. This is the only vehicle I have and I am a single mom to two young children. I am worried that while I am driving I will lose all power and will be hit by another vehicle. My van never wants to go over 40 mph and once it does reach that speed it will not maintain and sometimes makes an odd noise. I pulled onto the by-pass the other day and my van would not accelerate right away... thank god that the truck behind me was able to pass me on the shoulder. There have been a couple other times when my van would not gain speed and I would have to pull over so that the vehicles behind me could pass. So in a nut shell the problems are as listed: 1.) van will not accelerate or maintain speed 2.) when I press on the gas pedal there is often a pinging / knocking sound I just want to know what I need to do to get this problem fixed and not be out any more money. Please help!

- Flippin, AR, USA

Mar 182009

Freestar 6-cyl

The car jumps. When put in drive or reverse. No gas applied. Happening more and more now. Ask Ford to look at it they did nothing.

- Sterling Hgts, MI, USA

Mar 102012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving home from the gas station when suddenly the van stopped accelerating. We were going approximately 25 mph at the time. We were at a very busy intersection so we had to get out of the way quickly but the van would not go into gear. Any gear for that matter. We pushed the van out of the way because the intersection is high in traffic especially with 18 wheelers. The transmission fluid level was where it should have been. We couldn't get the van going so we had to get it towed home. We had no prior problems with the van going in or out of gear before this incident.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jun 022010

Freestar 6-cyl

Upon a stop or when attempting to reverse, the car lunges for no apparent reason. I view this as dangerous, as this has occurred several times, either when in a parking lot with pedestrians behind me entering store or when I am at a stop light and pedestrians are in a crosswalk. After researching this issue, I see that this is a problem that other people are having as well, concerning a "throttle body" component on the Ford freestyle from years 2005 and up. I feel that this should be seriously investigated before someone is seriously injured or killed through no fault of the car owner, but in fact, the vehicle and the maker of the vehicle.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 072010

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford freestyle. The contact stated that when the air conditioner was engaged, the vehicle would abnormally accelerate either forward or backward while shifted into reverse. The contact crashed into a wall due as a result. No one was injured during the crash. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer advised that the lunging was normal. The contact believed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- East Harwich, MA, USA

Jun 102011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact was stopped in a parking lot when the vehicle suddenly surged forward, almost hitting a pedestrian. The contact had to quickly apply the brakes to stop the vehicle. During the failure, the vehicle went into safe mode. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The dealer advised that he could perform a diagnostic, but could not confirm if the failure could be diagnosed. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 78,234.

- Branford, CT, USA

May 302011

Freestar 6-cyl

When attempting to accelerate our 2005 Ford Freestar limited to get onto the highway the van stalled when passing 2000 RPM(s) with no warning. The steering wheel locked and loss all power to the car. With the steering locked pulling off to the shoulder was near impossible. The vehicles behind had to go around me driving close to 65-70 mph in speed or slam on their brakes to miss me. A very frightening experience with children in the car. Unable to afford to bring the vehicle to a shop for repairs due just purchasing the vehicle in April of 2011 from tom bush Mazda dealership in jacksonville Florida.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 012010

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated the vehicle intermittently surged forward while driving approximately 5 mph. The failure would also occur while the brakes were engaged. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The accelerator pedal linkage was lubricated but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic where the engine idle motor was replaced. The failure mileage was 49,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Southold, NY, USA

Aug 102010

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact was driving 25 mph when the maintenance warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled within seconds. The dealer advised that the throttle was defective and made repairs. The contact stated that he was able to locate numerous online complaints regarding the throttle body for his year, make and model and believed the manufacturer should be liable for the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Cedar Hills, UT, USA

Jun 012008

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. In the summer of 2008 he noticed that the vehicle surged and shut off when he attempted to park at low speeds. The dealer diagnosed the failure and determined that the throttle body failed; however, the part is on back order. He also stated that the rear calipers were defected and that they were unable to repair them. The vehicle identification number was not available. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 59,000.

- Lugoff , SC, USA