2006 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Dec 282006

Freestar 6-cyl

I bought the vehicle in Jan. 06, starter went 11 months later. Van has never started up correctly. It doesn't run smoothly. Runs rough when it rains. Found info online regarding water leaking into the PCM which can create misfires, shift late, engine can run rough. I have taken it back to echelon Ford several times. They still won't admit to it being a problem. Couldn't find a code. However, now that I am out of warranty, they were able to find a code. Ford are not backing up there product! there hundreds of complaints about these vehicles and nothing is being done! I have 1 year left to pay, and can't afford to make repairs that Ford should be fixing since it started when I had the original warranty...why will Ford not do something.." I have a wife who drives it with 4 kids. What are they waiting for, an accident...? what has to happen to get them to fix this problem on there vehicles. Ford is saying it's miss firing in cylinder 3. probably because of all the water that has effected the PCM, and the ignition coil pack & ignition wires needs to be replaced, why would need to be replaced in a 5 year old vehicle... is that getting wet too..." I am extremely tired of dealing with this van. It's not fair to have a company not stand behind there product. I have had it!

- Laurel Springs, NJ, USA

Sep 062012

Freestar 6-cyl

I was traveling at a steady speed of 40 mph when I experienced instant and total transmission failure. The engine remained running and all subsystems continued to function but there was no power applied to the wheels in any gear. After being towed to the nearest Ford dealership (lindsay Ford in wheaton, md) the service department said that I needed a new transmission for $4,000. I eventually had the transmission repaired at a local shop for a total cost to me of $2,600. I learned that I had the same transmission problem that seems to be common to the Ford Freestar: A broken pump shaft caused the torque converter teeth to break off. It is obvious that this is a serious design flaw that remains uncorrected. Ford should be held accountable and made liable for all failures and repairs related to this issue.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Oct 032012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle became resistant to forward acceleration. The vehicle was towed to the contacts home. The contact called a local dealer and was informed of a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission). The contact was also informed that his VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 99,000.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Aug 262012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving North of Idaho falls on I-15 on August 26, 2012. Cruise control on at 75 mph. Sudden loss of gear, engine RPM spiked. Removed cruise control, now coasting in drive. Pulled over to the shoulder and placed in park. Attempted to engage the transmission with no response in any gear. The transmission has a date code of August 16, 2005.

- Butte, MT, USA

Sep 092012

Freestar 6-cyl

Vehicle started but when placed into drive or reverse nothing would happen even when the engine was revved. No warning, no noise, no previous indications at all that there was a problem. Car was towed to Ford dealership who informed me that the torque converter would need to be replaced as it was broken. Thankfully my wife and kids had just pulled off the main highway for a fuel stop and were just going to continue their journey when the problem occurred. How can Ford issue a recall for 2004 and 2005 Freestar torque converters and not issue one for the 2006 when I'm sure that some 2006 models were actually made in 2005.

- Hillside, IL, USA

Sep 062012

Freestar 6-cyl

Van was in motion on secondary roadway/county highway at approx 30mph. Operator slowed vehicle for traffic and then attempted to continue on but received no response from the van. Engine was operating and gear selector was in drive. The incident could be classed as near miss accident as other operators had to drive around the van which had come to a stop in the middle of road. Ford diagnostics are that the torque converter has failed and has to be replaced. The symptoms and problem are the same as the 2004 & 2005 Freestar torque converter recall. However, Ford has not included the 2006 model year in the same recall.

- Guilderland, NY, USA

Aug 092010

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 45 mph on busy highway, my Ford Freestar would no longer accelerate. Looking in the rear view mirror, there was smoke coming from my vehicle. The engine light came on after I noticed the smoke, then my thermostat went all the way from C to hot in a split second. No warning, car smoking and my brakes and gas was not working. I tried to pull over safely and get out of the vehicle quickly. My van was engulfed with smoke, an ambulance pulled over to assist me. The car fire was put out and towed to a Ford dealer. It was my transmission that blew. It was covered by warranty and fixed. I was told it was a bad transmission. One year and two weeks later, my Ford Freestar was not shifting gears, I was getting stuck, in reverse. When I shift to drive, it does not go forward. My car had to be towed again to the same Ford dealer. I was told my transmission was filled with water and the 1 year warranty I purchased the year before was shorted by two weeks. Ford would not honor my warranty due to it being over by 2 weeks time frame. So, I then purchased another transmission with another warranty. Now in 2012, a year later, my transmission that I purchased last year is doing the same thing, getting stuck in gears, when I accelerate, my Freestar jumps. Every time it rains, this car stalls. When I took to my mechanic, he says this is a horrible car. Poorly made and it should have been recalled. Apparently it stalls in the rain due to the sealing from Ford" why and how is this possible? this vehicle is a horrible safety problem. I am fortunate my children were not with me in the first car fire. When is Ford or the safety council going to investigate this car" so in my vehicle, Ford thinks there is nothing wrong with their customer having to replace a transmission 3 years in a row. No safety warnings or engine light warnings at all.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Aug 262012

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving down a city street, stopped at a light, when it turned green I pushed on the pedal gently (someone was in front of me) and it made a huge jerk and clank clank clank. It then started to go. At this point it had the "powertrain malfunction light on". I drove it to Ford and the car wouldn't go into reverse at all and wouldn't drive with out jerking. It also wouldn't go back in neutral when the key was turned on. No warning, drove fine before this.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Aug 202012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving down the road the van just lost forward motion, like it went into neutral. Coasted to side of road, tried all gears and had nothing no drive or reverse.

- West Palm Beach Fl, FL, USA

Jul 162012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact was able to see that the engine and tachometer continued running however the vehicle would not respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where it was determined that the torque converter failed. The vehicle was repaired by replacing the torque converter. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The current and failure mileage was 84,000.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Nov 162011

Freestar 6-cyl

I have filed a complaint before on this website about my frod Freestar suddenly not moving. Going up a ramp in the dark when car just stopped going forward. Same complaint as many others here. I have emailed Ford several times to find out if the 2006 will be recalled like the 04 and 05 models with the same exact problem. Just kept getting the standard we aren't responsible answer. I called Ford 2 days ago to verbally file a complaint. I was told that 1) rebuilt parts are better than new parts, so that's why I have a rebuilt transmission in my van now and 2) that Ford won't respond about a recall unless they start getting phone calls from people with the same complaint. So do letters an emails about the problem not count? don't know if anyone is following the complaints on here but I thought I would share just in case. I paid $2600 to get a rebuilt transmission put in my car by Ford and I really want my money back and faith once again in my vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 042010

Freestar 6-cyl

1) sudden unexpected loss of power and all gears. Occurred while normally accelerating from a stop. Vehicle towed to Ford dealer. Dealer stated to replace entire transmission at cost of $2900 plus credit card interest. 2) sudden loss of power. Dealer replaced PCM at cost of $900. 3) powering steering fluid leak. 4) coolant leak. 5) persistent loss of air from wheel after replacing tire.

- Flovilla, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked while shifting gears. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but he was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact stated that she also had to have the vehicle towed on a few occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Peter Park, TX, USA

May 072012

Freestar 6-cyl

05/07/12 as the brake was applied to turn a corner in traffic, the car just quit forward motion! turned engine off and restarted engine, and was then able to drive forward. 05/21/12 started parked van, put it in reverse, applied accelerator, the engine revved up, but no reverse motion(car rolled backwards as was parked on an incline), put it in drive, applied accelerator, and again the engine revved up, but no forward motion drive(again van rolled backwards). Van was towed to garage. Assumed that it was the torque converter problem that a recall was issued for 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestars. Diagnosis was indeed a bad torque converter in our 2006 Ford Freestar(not currently recalled for the torque converter like the 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestars).

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

May 072012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. While traveling 55 mph, the contact noticed that the vehicle had suddenly shifted out of gear, as if the vehicle was shifted into neutral. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the contact was informed that NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission:torque converter) did not apply to his VIN. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 146,000.

- Elkhart Lake, WI, USA

Apr 022012

Freestar

Without warning and at various speeds the transmission on our 2006 Ford Freestar will lose power. I would describe it as a hiccup effect were power is lost and gained several times in a 15-30 second time period (switching gears?). consistently this will happen between the speeds of 55 -60 mph, and almost all the time this will happen when the engine requires more power going up hills. We are taking it to our second repair shop in one month today.

- Big Flats, NY, USA

Apr 232012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. While the contact was driving approximately 45 mph, the wrench warning indicator began to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that there was not a recall related to the malfunction. The approximate failure mileage was 27,116.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Apr 142012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving with my two young daughters in the vehicle. Had just driven about 50 miles at 60 mph. Luckily had just gotten off the highway when the vehicle felt like I had shifted into neutral. The engine sounded like it was revving but I had absolutely no power. It's now going to cost me $2500 for a new transmission. I wouldn't even give it a second thought if I hadn't just read that the 2004-5 Freestars have been recalled because of transmission problems. I'm wondering why the 2006 wasn't included since I'm guessing the transmissions are identical. We were incredibally lucky since I had just gotten off the highway, but 5 minutes earlier would have been a different story.

- Fox Point, WI, USA

Nov 142011

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving home on tollraod at night going up on ramp. Van gave no warning, no lights, no issues. Engine still on but van would not move. Was able to roll back down ramp partway and get on to small houlder area. This ramp was curved and we were in a blind spot with a carfull of people and the cat. Had to wait for hctra to tow us to a safe location, then had to wait another 2 hours for a tow truck. Couls not get a rental from Ford nor did we get any help replacing the transmission. $2600 later we have a erbulit transmission. I drive 2 hours to and from work. The van has all of its maintence done on time. Ford has recalled the 04 nad O5 Freestar for the same exact problem but will not acknowledge the issue with the 2006. Very frustrating.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

Recurrent intermittent problems with slipping transmission. Problem has become increasingly worse. Waiting for catastrophic failure with this known Ford transmission problem. I will probably die, when this(transmission) fails and puts me in the path of a speeding vehicle; giving me no chance to get out of the way. A 6 year old vehicle should not have this problem.

- Fulton, NY, USA