2006 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Dec 022011

Freestar 6-cyl

I had just left home and turned out onto major highway - I was picking up speed and it was like I put my van into neutral - I just pulled off highway and it would not go into any gear. Had to tow it and have it repaired. Torque converter went out -- had to have transmission rebuilt. Aamco rebuilt transmission and they told us it had a 2005 transmission in it. I feel like the 2006 Ford Freestars should be placed in the same recall as the 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestars as some were actually made in 2005.

- Shady Grove, FL, USA

Feb 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

Every time it rained, my engine would shudder, shake, sometimes knock, the transmission would shift for no good reason, and I stalled out in traffic once. The vehicle became non-drivable when it rained (and only when it rained). I took the vehicle to my Ford dealer (schults Ford of harmarville, pa), where technician pat sand indicated that this is a known problem with Ford Freestars, and said a Ford service bulletin indicates that because of a manufacturing problem (incorrect sealer application to the PCM and poor position of PCM in relation to windshield run-off) water leakage into the program control module causes it to issue random commands and errors. They followed the Ford bulletin and by simply better sealing against moisture / blocking the water flow, resolved the problem. This is a safety issue and a known manufacturing defect.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 092012

Freestar 6-cyl

Yesterday while traveling on interstate 30, our 2006 Ford Freestar suddenly made a loud revving up noise with the rpms shooting up for a second and then I had no propulsion. The motor was running, but all I could do was coast as far as I could to get to the shoulder. My husband and three young children were with us, and it was very scary to lose power like that and then to sit on the shoulder being shaken by every big rig that came by. We had to be towed to the nearest Ford dealership and rent a vehicle to drive the 100 miles home. Once home last night, we found info about the same thing happening to many other Freestars and that Ford is voluntarily recalling '04 and '05 models to replace the torque converters. What about the '06 models this is happening to" we were amazed at the stories we found identical to ours. Will the 2006 models be addressed as well" when I heard the automated message from Ford concerning the '04 and '05 models and how this issue does not affect safety because a vehicle can be coasted to safety, I was appalled. I wonder if they have tried that in interstate traffic consisting to a large degree of 18-wheelers barreling downhill on you as you try to get past a bridge to the shoulder while carrying your husband and three kids! and then to sit there not able to move one way or the other while more 18-wheelers fly by, feeling relief each time they don't hit you, trying to decide if we'd all be safer standing in the ditch! didn't feel so safe to me!

- Texarkana, TX, USA

May 122010

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving home from work on a rural single lane highway with no shoulder, my 2006 Ford Freestar mini-van completely lost acceleration. I was traveling 70 mph and going up a large hill when everything just shut down. There was absolutely no warning, no lights, nothing! when pushing the gas to the floor, the RPM's revved but I had no acceleration. I coasted to a stop at the top of the hill, trying to maneuver the van off the road and out of the way of the 18 wheeler that was not far behind me. After trying repeatedly to get the transmission to engage, I had it towed to a Ford dealership and was told the transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of over $3000. I had to take it back to this dealership twice to have them fix small things that they had not properly put back together. Less than a year later, the powertrain warning light for the transmission came on and I had to take it back to a different Ford dealership. I was told it was the transmission again, and because it was thankfully still under warranty I wasn't out any money, but I was without my primary vehicle for our family of 5 for almost two weeks. The transmission feels like it is starting to slip again, and I have taken it back to the dealership twice to have them look for the problem before it goes out, but I keep getting told it is nothing. When my husband rode with the mechanic to see if it would slip, the torque converter started shuddering, but the mechanic said, "it's just the torque converter shuddering, don't worry about it". now I am reading that a faulty torque converter may lead to more transmission trouble, but I feel the Ford dealership is just waiting for the warranty to go out again so they won't have to fix it yet again. This is the only vehicle we have that will Transport our whole family, and I'm not sure how safe it is for me to continue to drive it.

- Mt Enterprise, TX, USA

Apr 042008

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the torque converter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 73,971 and the current mileage was 190,000.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Dec 212011

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the torque converter would malfunction causing the vehicle to hesitate and make a rumbling sound. The right front wheel makes tapping sounds when turning to the right or left. The Ford mechanic and my personal mechanic have said the torque converter, cv joints and drive shafts will have to be replaced, and that the transmission may have to be rebuilt or replaced. I purchased the van form Ford in 2007. I am looking forward to hearing for the NHTSA board on these issues.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Feb 062012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the contact felt the vehicle slip before stalling completely. The contact attempted to shift into drive and reverse but the vehicle would not move from its position. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed that the forward and reverse gears malfunctioned. The dealer also stated that the vehicle needed a new torque converter, which was replaced. The failure mileage was 83,161 and the current mileage was 83,300.

- Campton, OH, USA

Feb 122012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 to 45 mph, all of the power shut off, but the engine continued to run. The vehicle was later towed to an authorized dealer and they informed the contact that the failure may be due to the torque converter. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 108,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bendorf, IA, USA

Feb 032012

Freestar 6-cyl

Van started shuddering and shaking upon acceleration brought the van to a transmission shop and they told me the transmission torque converter was faulty and about ready to fail totally. The transmission repair shop replaced the torque converter and shaft in the transmission. I called Ford and they told me they are currently only recalling the 2004's and 2005's. my van is a 2006 and according to the transmission shop it has the exact same defective components in the transmission as the 2004's and 2005's. Ford needs to recall the 2006's. this repair cost me $1700 and I feel Ford should have to pay for the repair on my vehicle. If you have a 2006 or 2007 and are having transmission torque converter issues you need to file a complaint with the NHTSA. So they can make Ford recall the rest of the defective transmissions!

- Crete , IL, USA

Nov 152011

Freestar 6-cyl

We were accelerating from a stop light, just getting to 10mph when the transmission failed. It was like the transmission shifted into neutral. There were no warning signs or indicators that the transmission was failing. It just went out.

- Hudson, IL, USA

Jan 142012

Freestar 6-cyl

After engaging the vehicle into drive, the vehicle went approximately 30 feet then suddenly stopped. The engine remained running, the vehicle just stopped and would not go in any gear. After towing it to the dealer, we were informed that the torque converter was bad. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel and no prior warnings of failure. The vehicle had been at the dealer for routine maintenance one week prior to the failure and the technicians reported no incidents of concern. The majority of the mileage on this vehicle are highway miles and there is not a situation of frequent gear changes. As there are many other 2006 Ford Freestar vehicle owners with similar complaints and occurrences, and the vehicle was built in 2005 (but not included in the 2005 recall), Ford should recall this vehicle and others with similar incidences.

- Delphi, IN, USA

Jan 272012

Freestar 6-cyl

On 1/27/12 while heading out of town with my family on a busy highway at a speed of 72mph my van lost all power. The van was suddenly dropping speed with no prior warning at all. There were semis all around and thank the lord I was able to pull the van over to the side of the road out of harms way. Once on the side of the road I turned off the iginition and waited a few minutes before trying to start again. The van started but, would not go into gear at all. I had to call a tow truck which costs me money I did not have and now to find out that there are many others out there with the same make, model and year vehicle that are having the same exact problem and nothing is being done about it by Ford is crazy. This could have cost me and my family our lives and others that were driving around me. When is something going to be done.?! to have Ford recall the '04 and '05 models for this exact reason, should make them realize there is something extremely wrong with this make and model vehicle. I purchased this vehicle for the family thinking of safety all along but am now scared to drive it once it gets fixed. This is death trap as far as I am concerned.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 182011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated the engine remained in the on position but the vehicle failed to move forward. The mechanic stated the torque converter failed. The contact found NHTSA recall campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train automatic transmission: Torque converter) and wanted to know why the 2006 model year was not included. The current and failure mileage was 70,000.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Jan 222012

Freestar

I own a 2006 Ford Freestar and as of Jan 9 2012 they have recalled 04-05 for the transmission blowing up! torque converter, pump and output shaft to give you the pats! my family was in the van on the 400 hwy driving on Jan 22 2012 with two children and my van shouts down no control, driving 105-110 in the middle lane.. we did get to the side of the road and no one was hurt thank god, to realize our transmission blow, with only 105,000km on the van not knowing there was a problem out from Ford Canada all ready for the 04-05, we have called Ford Canada and told them what happened and they informed us that we have no warranty and its not in the recalls, so the van was fixed with a billof 2975.00at aamco transmission on Jan 25th 2012 with no help from Ford, I cant believe this has happened they were aware of this problem and are not concerned about lives, someone or all of us and anyone around us could have lost there lives due to this problem with the transmissions failing and there know about it, and don't feel there is enough repaired with the 06 are you kidding me not enough reports this is a joke, there are aware of this and when someone loses there life there recall them, give your head a shake, fix the problem before this even happens, I don't know where to begin and where or who to talk to but I am email everyone I can so that no one loses there life over this!!!I need help from all parties out there please I am heard this happened to me and my family and it could have turn out very bad!!!!!

- Barrie , AL, USA

Jan 272012

Freestar

Transmission is dead. Without warning. I towed my car. Mechanic asking me 2500$.

- Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Sep 162011

Freestar 6-cyl

Bought the 2006 Ford Freestar on 9/14/11. 5 minutes after the purchase, I came to a light and the car lost all power. Turned right around and went back to the dealership and assumed it was from sitting in the lot through a massive snow storm. In the 18 weeks that I have had the vehicle, it has been brought back to the shop 4 times totaling 12 full weeks. We have constant loss of power. We also experience a jerking/bucking which results in the engine light flashing and as soon as the car slows down enough, it will lose power. This usually happens right after rain. These problems have left me with a non mobile car in intersections. This is not safe at all and there should be a recall on this vehicle before someone ends up in a fatal crash.

- Vernon, NJ, USA

Nov 012011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact was driving between 40-50 mph when the engine stalled briefly and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 126,000.

- Jefferson, OH, USA

Jan 182012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 58 mph, the rpms increased and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was advised that the torque converter caused the transmission to fail and that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current and the failure mileages were 123,000.

- South Solon, OH, USA

Jan 182012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact was attempting a left turn at 15 mph when a grinding noise emitted from the transmission. The vehicle lunged forward and the vehicle failed to continue accelerating. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the torque converter failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised the contact that the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission:torque converter). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 57,000.

- Champlain, NY, USA

Nov 232011

Freestar 6-cyl

On Nov. 18, 2011 while on a trip of approximately 600 miles round trip this 2006 Ford Freestar shuddered a few times which was presumed to be rough road. On Nov. 23 the van did not go into reverse. After a few tries it did slip into reverse. The following day Nov. 24 the same thing happened. The van was in another town about 60 miles away, my daughter had borrowed it, so on Dec.06, 2011 she took it to a Ford dealership for diagnosis. The dealership gave me a paper stating the oss was bad. I picked up the van (after the Ford dealership told me it could be driven home), and on the way home it started to jerk when changing gears while going up or down hills. The lights inside and out went out also. I took the van to a transmission shop and after they checked it over it was determined the transmission was bad. There was nothing wrong with the oss sensor. A washer had broken inside the transmission, the fluid was full of metal, bushings were worn, and gears needed replacing. I trust this transmission place totally and since I had experienced the reverse and gear jerk problems myself I felt this was the correct diagnosis. I had the transmission repaired. Now, this may be reasonable for some 2006 vehicles which may had been driven hard, however.. this van had 56683 miles when taken to the dealership. This vehicle is used mostly for transportation for a disabled person. Which makes it twice as frightening about the transmission. I keep thinking about the possibilities of breaking down miles away from home. When is it acceptable for a bought new, gently treated vehicle with 56683 miles on it have a bad transmission? even though it is 5 years old the mileage is not great. I cannot think what might have been if it had gone totally while on the road transporting a disabled person.

- Irvine, KY, USA