1.9

2006 Ford Freestar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 092009

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that all of the warning lamps illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact mentioned that the exterior and interior lamps were flickering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that ECM was defective and needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who diagnosed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and current mileage was 140,000. Updated 5/7/12 updated 05/30/12

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Feb 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

Every time it rained, my engine would shudder, shake, sometimes knock, the transmission would shift for no good reason, and I stalled out in traffic once. The vehicle became non-drivable when it rained (and only when it rained). I took the vehicle to my Ford dealer (schults Ford of harmarville, pa), where technician pat sand indicated that this is a known problem with Ford Freestars, and said a Ford service bulletin indicates that because of a manufacturing problem (incorrect sealer application to the PCM and poor position of PCM in relation to windshield run-off) water leakage into the program control module causes it to issue random commands and errors. They followed the Ford bulletin and by simply better sealing against moisture / blocking the water flow, resolved the problem. This is a safety issue and a known manufacturing defect.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012011

Vehicle odometer failure.

- Avis, PA, USA

Apr 012011

Freestar 6-cyl

Vechicle just stopped. Got it going again after turning off and restarting. Code showed it needed to be "reflashed." Cost 110 at dealership and no improvement. Code showed ignition coil. Replaced and no improvement. Finally replaced PCM April 2011. Also experience intermitent electrical problems (radio, clock reset) with no battery failure.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 152011

Freestar

I am experiencing problems with my 2006 Ford Freestar when it becomes wet. If I go through a car wash or drive in inclement weather the engine light starts flashing and the engine power starts becoming erratic, bucking and hesitating. When this first started happening I would have to let the van sit for a few hours and then it would run fine. The last few times it has happened it is taking days for the motor to get back to normal. I have had it at a shop, they gave it a tune up. The problem recurred and took it to a Ford certified dealership and they ran diagnostics, charged me $100 and told me I needed a tune up which I just had done. Took it back to the shop that did the tune up and they replaced the egr valves to the tune of $700. Ran the car through the car wash and problem recurs, they have now removed the PCM module looking for moisture which they did not find, another $100. $900 later I am still struggling with the same problem and nobody has any answers. Upon reading many complaints about this same issue on the web I am now reporting it to you. Ford needs to recall this and make it right. It's extremely dangerous to be driving in inclement weather and start losing power to your car! we are now heading in to the wet winter months and I'm scared to death to drive my van.

- New Palestine, IN, USA

Jun 202011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that water penetrated the hood, causing the transmission and the electrical system to fail. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that water damaged the transmission, instrumental cluster, and smart module. The dealer replaced the transmission. The instrumental cluster and smart module were not replaced. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was replaced 105,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Paulina, LA, USA

Jan 052011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while accelerating from a traffic stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. After several moments, the contact was able to restart the vehicle yet the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed as moisture being in the computer system. The manufacturer was not contacted in regards to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 171,000.

- Salisbury , NC, USA

Oct 202009

Freestar

Rear turn lamps have burned out 4 times in three years. At idle "all" interior and head lamps flicker. I have replaced the battery and had the electrical charging system checked and they are ok. Appears to be a wiring problem. Heat ac blower only blows air from lower heater vents. PCM replaced, and it has malfunctioned again. Vehicle appears to have a serious wiring problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 012007

Freestar

Have owned this 2006 Freestar since new. Several electrical issues. Stereo system - intermittent problems with the presets resetting and the clock setting back to 12:00. Also the volume fluctuating up and down on its own when using the rear controls. The stereo has been replaced twice. Still having the problem. Rear driver side turn signal lamp - has burned out and been replaced 7 times. Outside temperature probe - is not reading properly. Starter - have intermittent problems starting the vehicle. Have not received any resolution from several dealers. The PCM was not found to be wet or damaged. Are concerned that the vehicle has major wiring issues and is a possible fire hazard. Also, the rear ac blower squeals intermittently and has been replaced twice as well. Still doing it. There is a muffled thump sound coming from the air cleaner box area. The last dealer who looked at the vehicle stated that this is normal. We don't agree. Several, unresolved, repetitive issues with this vehicle. Very disappointed with Ford and will not purchase another.

- Boalsburg, PA, USA

Nov 202008

Freestar

I have a 2006 Ford Freestar that has been nothing but problems. Twice I lost power completely while driving. The first time it wouldn't start so I had it towed to the Ford dealership. They said it started right back up and it was fine now. This was in November of 2008. In January 2009 it died on me again. I waited a few minutes and it started back up. I took it to a different dealer the second time. They said there was water in my power control module (PCM) and replaced it. I have not lost power since then. I am now having some problems starting the van. The van has been in the repair shop a minimum of 30 times in 2 1/2 years but it is never the same problem so the lemon law does not apply in my state.

- Midland, MI, USA

Jul 272006

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving my Ford Freestar in a rain storm and the van completely shut down. Turns out the main computer chip got wet. I have had this van for 2 weeks.

- Kutztown, PA, USA

Apr 262006

Freestar 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 55 mph the traction control light illuminated. The vehicle RPM revved from 0 to 2 and the vehicle bucked. The vehicle was driven to a service dealer; upon inspection both rear and front brake systems had failed causing the traction control to automatically use the brakes. The dealer replaced the computer system however 48 hours later the vehicle is having the same problem again. Updated 5/10/2006 -

- Grand Forks, ND, USA