1.9

2006 Ford Freestar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 162016

Freestar 6-cyl

My radio goes off by itself, and all light flicker even when driving of a night. It is now making a sound like tight belts...but does not appear to have any ready to break. Ford you really messed up on this one! I no longer like having a Ford car! I have had 3 different alternators on the car and it has not helped!

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jan 172016

Freestar

I was driving down the road at 45 miles an hour and vehicle cuts off. I almost had a head on collision with no control of steering. If I had been on interstate it would have been a wreck.

- Fremont, NC, USA

Mar 012015

Freestar 6-cyl

I have a battery light that keeps coming on even after replacing the alternator twice and battery twice. The light still keeps coming on and will not go off.there I am driving down the road and everything is flashing and then it stalls. I have had both battery and alternator checked and they are fine. Wiring has been checked and nothing seems to work. Also I have replaced the breaks on the car twice and I still get a loud grinding noise when I go to stop. Ford needs to fix these vehicles. I have read in many forums that people are having the same problems with theirs and after spending a bunch of money trying to fix the problem it still is not fixed. I need my vehicle to run right without having to dump money into it all the time and I keep up with regular maintenance but this is above and beyond that and this is ridiculous!

- Troutman, NC, USA

Nov 032014

Freestar 6-cyl

I have my 2 grandchildren who have muscular dystrophy. I bought this van to get them to doctors appointments, etc with wheel chair. I was driving the vehicle home and stopped at the light. As soon as the light turned green I proceeded though the intersection and the vehicle just stopped. The vehicle just would not move. I had children in this van and was almost hit because of the transmission in this vehicle. Why would Ford not step up and do a recall on these vehicles. When will someone take notice that this could have easily caused a accident, hurting innocent children. These vans are mostly used as a family van. Does someone have to get hurt for someone to do something? the van is not fixed yet and I am still making payments. I can not afford to fix it.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Dec 092014

Freestar

Going down a small hill and was picking up speed, let off the gas pedal to slow down. Starting up the next hill and when the gas pedal was pushed I ended up going backward and there were 4 vehicles right behind me. They all were stopping and each turned in a different direction not to hit the other person in front of them. It could have been worse if I had taken the interstate. This happened at about 6 a.M. so there was not a lot of traffic like there is at 7 a.M. in the morning. But if I had not forgotten my billfold, this would happened at a very high traffic time of day when I would have been going home.

- Vinton, IA, USA

Jul 142014

Freestar 6-cyl

Water intrusion from the cowl shorted out the PCM and led to premature failure of torque converter. Ford had a tsb on the water issue but never recalled and now that has led me to having big money spent on repairs that I feel Ford should correct and pay for!

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Sep 182011

Engine idle RPM surge.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving down the road in the rain and the engine light came on. Then the vehicle started to sputter and acted like it was going to stall out. It felt like I was going to lose power but I was able to make it home. Then the next day the sun was out and the car seemed to run fine. This happened to me several more times over the next few months. I started to notice a pattern of it only happening when it was raining outside. Otherwise, the vehicle ran fine in good weather. I realized water was getting into the engine somehow. Our mechanic thought it was a problem with the spark plugs at first. Then it kept happening so we had it in the shop again. Water was found to be leaking into the powertrain control module. I started to research the problem on the internet and found several customers complaining about the same problem with their vehicles. Apparently it is a well known defect in the manufacturing of this vehicle. I feel Ford should take action and recall these cars before someone gets tragically injured from their minivan losing power on a busy highway.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 072013

Freestar

12/10/13 and 12/11/13 mini van stalled on the road while driving 25 miles per hour. No warning light before hand. Loss of power steering and engine. Was told that it was an air flow control. Drove car home from dealership and stalled on the road home. PCM was replaced. 1/20/14 next two times car failed to start while in a parking lot or driveway. (was repaired) PCM was replaced again. 2/6/14 fourth stall was on an exit ramp of a major highway. Car was going 45 miles per hour and stalled. Loss of power steering and engine.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

May 292013

Freestar 6-cyl

When I was driving a hill down, suddenly the engine and all electronic equipment stopped, warning lamp engine and battery flashes, steering wheel and brakes did not work correctly. I need about 1 mile to stop the car. After that the car could not be reactivated/started again. - cause for incident (Ford service): The motor control unit was filled with water after a rain.

- Hochheim / Germany, IL, USA

Apr 252012

Freestar

After heavy rain the van began to misfire and shake. Check engine light came on. 2 days later it went out after drying off.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Mar 012013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that upon entering the vehicle, it appeared that the audio system had been reset. The contact also stated that the reverse indicators failed and the passenger side air bag light illuminated. The contact also mentioned that after opening the lift gate, the vehicle would not start immediately and the brake light illuminated erroneously. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer and was informed that it was probably an electrical problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 91,000.

- Commack, NY, USA

Apr 112013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving my van home from the grocery store. All of a sudden the speedometer said I was traveling at over 100 miles an hour and began to vibrate. I pulled over, turned the car off and restarted it. It seemed to be okay at first. Then when I tried to get it up to speed it would only move down the road at a crawl. Same problem as the 2004-2005 models.

- Belton , MO, USA

Mar 182013

Freestar

While driving in heavy traffic during a snow storm with my 9 year old daughter on the freeway my 2006 Ford Freestar started jerking and trying to stall out when trying to get off the freeway to safety speedometer was showing I was driving 120 at a stop light. The RPM's were at a 3 while sitting still. If the van had stalled on the freeway the incident would have been horrific. Then a second incident happen on March 28, 2013 when I was preparing pull onto a side street my van started jerking and stalling out on me and the speedometer showed I going a 120 while sitting still at a stop sign.

- Corbin, KY, USA

Mar 072012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the instrument panel failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the light behind the instrument panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Quinlyn, TX, USA

Oct 142010

Freestar 6-cyl

Air conditioner, right side passenger door window, moter mounts.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Freestar 6-cyl

Van shut off while driving and would not restart it had no electrical power, turned out computer shorted out $1200 repair.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Freestar

The van has been hard to start just recently past month it takes 4 turns of key to start, van dies while driving, battery has died. Took to Ford dealership and they cant find anything wrong at all. They had me replace, fuel pump / spark plugs and wires / fuel filter/ ignition coil / tps sensor / air intake idle sensor / cleaned and reprogrammed the PCM / made new ignition key / cleaned all ground connections / checked alternator / replaced battery / drained gas tank and added fuel cleaner / after all of this expense I still am having the exact same issues "????? any advice from anyone ?"/ thanks in advance.

- Crestview, FL, USA

May 262012

Freestar

Driving down road city street (25 mph speed limit) on way home. Not raining outside. Temperature was about 85 degrees. Very high humidity. As approached intersection the vehicle suddenly shut itself off. Complete loss of power, power steering, and power breaking. Wife had trouble pulling over, but because were only going 20 mph at that point, we managed to pull over and stop car. We were only 2 blocks from home, so we restarted engine (which turned on without trouble) and drove home slowly (now with the check-engine light on). Dangerous situation, as it is incredibly difficult to control the vehicle without power steering or braking. If we had taken the interstate home instead of the way we went, we could have been driving at 70 mph onto an off ramp when it shut off. Very dangerous indeed.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Jul 202011

Freestar 6-cyl

The first failure was when I was driving down the road doing just over 55 mph, all of a sudden the van died an I coasted to the side of the road. After several failed attempts to restart the van it finally started and stayed running. I eventually made it home without incident. Had it checked and was told it possibly had an electrical failure but change the fuel filter in case it was an issue with fuel getting to the engine. So we did. It ran fine after that until about 3 months later. We took it to run errands with no problem and returned home. Went to run to the grocery store and the van would not go into gear. It would start ok but not move, wouldn't go into drive or reverse. Thankfully it was at home when it happened and not going down the road like the first time when I had all 3 kids with me. Had it towed to a garage where they found metal shavings in the torque converter. Had a new one put in and it ran fine for about 2 weeks. Then we found cracks in the coil packs and hd those replaced along with all spark plugs. Not sure if that is relevant to the torque problem. Spent $940 to fix the torque converter and another $240 to fix coil packs and spark plugs. The torque converter is a recall on the '04 and '05 and the same needs to be done with the '06's.

- Randolph, NY, USA