2006 Ford Freestar miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments

Oct 072015

The car will just lost power are shut off with no warning, and when I take it in to the Ford dealership they can never find anything wrong, and it will do this after a good rain it's like something is getting wet and not working right, it just has to power I have 2 children and this is the only car I have, and I don't like driving it because of this reason I do not want to be killed in this car.

- Braselton, GA, USA

Aug 302015

While driving, the van suddenly ceased to respond to applying the gas pedal. The motor continued to respond, rpms rise with acceleration attempts but the van will not move. No gear (including reverse) responds. The vehicle was rolled into a parking lot and had to be towed. At this time, repairs have not been made, but there is significant indication that the torque converter may be the issue. We are disturbed because there are multiple complaints of this issue with other 2006 Freestar owners, and there has been no recall issued or apparent responsibility taken on the part of the manufacturer. It is clear that the same parts are being affected as those recalled from the 2005 models. We are not in a financial position to fund transmission repairs and we could lose our only vehicle due to this incident. I am just grateful my husband (or my children, or someone else) was not killed in an accident caused by this failure. I intend to contact the manufacturer directly, but have not at this point. I would very much like this situation investigated with Ford, not just for our vehicle but all the people lodging complaints of this issue--here and elsewhere online.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Jul 102015

I hade been driving the van for approximatly 125 miles, came to a stoplight close to my home. Stopped at the light, and when I tryed to go forward ehrn the light turned green, there was no power to thee transmission, the engine only reved up. I was facing downhill, and rolled into a store parking lot. Had to have it towed to my house. Doing research online, I found very similar cercumstances with many other Freestars. Ford had issued a recall on the torque converter for the 2004-05 Freestars, but not the 2006, which has the same part. All Freestars with this same part shuld have been recalled, not just 2 out of 4 years. I feel very cheated and now I am facing a very large repair bill.

- Keaau, HI, USA

Jan 302015

While driving down the highway with my five children in the car the carson we lost power and I had to say try my best to safely coast to the side of the road and was not able to get completely out of the way before the car stopped and wouldn't move. We have to get out of the car walk through a field A9 year old 10 year old 6 year old two year old and an 8 month old. There are recalls on all other urs except this one even though they have the same engine and failing parts. Torque converter!!! my kids were afraid and didn't know what would happen to us. It will cost us money we don't have to fix this car, with the faulty part. We should be included in the recall.

- Ft Worth , TX, USA

Sep 092013

I was driving my kids to school, runnining approximately 30 mph and all of a sudden realized that my engine was reving up and I was not speeding up. It happened out of no where. Scared me to death because I was on a busy road and had a tractor and trailer behind me that almost ran me over. Had to have my car towed to the shop to find out that my transmission had gone bad. It cost me $3400 to have a rebuilt transmission put in. Just one year ago the PCM module went bad and Ford charged me $3000 to put a new one in. Still had the same problem. I took my car to an independent auto mechanic shop and found out that the Ford dealer never replaced the PCM module. Had to pay the independent shop another $1000 to actually put a new PCM module in. Have called Ford several times and they won't do anything about it. I have read hundreds of post of other people who are having the same problem. Somebody needs to do something to Ford. I took all my paperwork to an attorney and he told me that I didn't have enough money to fight a company the size of Ford and to just get rid of the vehicle. I don't have the money to buy a new vehicle and when I tried to trade it in, the guy at the dealership said that they weren't going to give me much for it on the trade in because of all the problems that the van had. Please someone help to make Ford do a recall on these vans! they are ripping people off and nothing is being done about it.

- Corapeaeke, NC, USA

Mar 102009

While in drive (in a rainy night) vehicle just coasted to a stop. I had no working gears - vehicle acted like being in 'neutral' no matter what was selected. Towed to pundmann Ford and diagnosed as a torque converter problem that also ruined the transmission. Dealer quote "diag removed trans assy replaced torque converter O/D drum forward clutch and O/D band all pistons and seals road test". several thousand dollars to fix. Found out recall in 2004 and 2005 models for same problem. This is same problem and 2006S should be included. Shocking that a transmission goes completely out at 47,000 miles.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 162011

Freestar 6-cyl

Bought the 2006 Ford Freestar on 9/14/11. 5 minutes after the purchase, I came to a light and the car lost all power. Turned right around and went back to the dealership and assumed it was from sitting in the lot through a massive snow storm. In the 18 weeks that I have had the vehicle, it has been brought back to the shop 4 times totaling 12 full weeks. We have constant loss of power. We also experience a jerking/bucking which results in the engine light flashing and as soon as the car slows down enough, it will lose power. This usually happens right after rain. These problems have left me with a non mobile car in intersections. This is not safe at all and there should be a recall on this vehicle before someone ends up in a fatal crash.

- Vernon, NJ, USA

Apr 012011

Freestar 6-cyl

Vechicle just stopped. Got it going again after turning off and restarting. Code showed it needed to be "reflashed." Cost 110 at dealership and no improvement. Code showed ignition coil. Replaced and no improvement. Finally replaced PCM April 2011. Also experience intermitent electrical problems (radio, clock reset) with no battery failure.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA