9.7

$2,046.00

1. new torque converter, pistons, and clutches in transmission (2 reports)
  2. new transmission (2 reports)
  3. solution: torque converter $1900 or trans $3200 (2 reports)
2006 Ford Freestar transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments

Mar 192014

Freestar 4.2L V6

Oil pump drive shaft failure.

Burnt clutches, and already at 93K miles, so we replaced transmission with rebuild.

I looked at the drive for thew oil pump. Poor design at shaft support Bearing...

- , N. Richland Hills, TX, USA

Sep 162013

Freestar

• CVT transmission

Third Ford we have owned with extreme, can't afford to repair, problem! Need new transmission - $6100 with labor. Are you kidding me?!!? We can't afford that, and the car has no trade-in value like this, so we are scr*wed!! We are now a family of 5 with no transportation! Ford NEVER stands behind their vehicles! Our family has been loyal to them for decades, but never again! I am just sick...

- , Garden City, MI, USA

May 042013

Freestar SEL 4.2L V6

Without warning, transmission failed on my wife, 2 1/2 hrs. from home in the middle of a very busy highway intersection, with children on board, at night. Local PD had to block intersection to push vehicle to safer spot. Almost 2hr. wait for tow truck. $400 to have towed home disabled. $100 to tow to Ford dealership. Diagnosed as Torque Converter failure. This is a KNOWN issue on the Freestar, having reluctantly issued a recall on 04-05 models. My vehicle has a build date of 12/05. Same transmission and supplier as the recalled 04-05 Freestars, yet Ford will NOT act on this one! Let me also state that I have worked for Ford at their Chicago Asembly Plant for almost 24 yrs. Even with my A-Plan discount and loyalty, cannot say I will buy another vehicle from them. I will look for a more conscientious Mfg. My wife and daughter could have been seriously injured or died from this transmission failure that happened without any warning whatsoever..this entire episode will end up costing us more than $2000 at a time that we cannnot afford it ( can anybody ever?)

- , Dyer, IN, USA

Dec 222012

Freestar SEL 4.2L V6

Van suddenly lost any power going up a slight incline on a major thoroughfare. Transmission completely useless in any gear. I had three kids in the car while we coasted to a stop and then started drifting backwards. Thankfully cars noticed us slowing down and moved to the next lane to pass. After sitting stranded for 15 min, traffic cleared enough where I could let the van roll backward until I could steer it into a temporary parking spot (illegal parking, but worked). Had to get out and walk 8 blocks across a freeway to get to daughter's basketball game. After took 2 hours for tow. Ford dealer won't even look at it for 4 days due to holiday. I'm sure I'm looking at a sizable holiday gift to the Ford Corporation as thanks for engineering a crappy transmission and not taking the responsibility to recall and fix it. This is definitely one of those "never again buy a Ford" situations!

Update from Jan 10, 2013: Problem: torque converter shot

Solution options; reman torque converter for $1,900 (plus $150 for trans screen), or $3,200 for reman transmission.

Thankfully we found out the van was still under the extended warranty we had purchased so torque converter and screen replaced for total of $150 (of course, price of warranty was well above $1,900 extended over duration of loan...).

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 222012

Freestar 3.2L V6

This Van is my mother's only means to visit the outside world. She can't walk great distances and needs to use her scooter to get around. It's bad enough that the transmission went while I was driving but to hear that is a common problem is just too much. That could have caused an accident. IF FORD KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM THEN THEY SHOULD FIX IT . MAYBE WHEN THERE IS AN ACCIDENT WITH A FATALITY THEN THEY WILL ACT ON IT . As a customer service representative, I know that word of mouth can not only make a company but also break it. My advise to any consumer is to look at the car company they are interested in purchasing their car from and look at the complaints that are registered and how fast the company resolves them. FORD DOES NOT CARE!!! It's all about the money. If you know someone who has had an accident that involves this problem make sure they get the news media involved. Maybe FORD can be shamed into doing the right thing. In this enconomy, not everyone has the money to fix or replace their transmission. I had to wait TWO weeks and with the help of my 75 YR old mother I was able to get it fixed. I WILL MAKE SURE I TELL EVERYONE THAT FORD DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR PROBLEMS, My mechanic advised me that they have weak transmissions. Imagine that. WHY would I buy another product from your company?

- , Warren, MI, USA

Jun 152012

Freestar SE 4.2L V6

The same thing just happened to me. I just got off the highway, was driving at 9pm when the van just rolled to a stop-in mid street! There was construction on the right lane so there I was in the only traffic lane STOPPED. I tried all the gears to get out of traffic but nothing would happen. My van in an 06 but it was made in June/05 I called the 1 800 # but they said 'too bad so sad' so to speak. I'm going to give this a good fight because I feel like Ford is in complete wrong and if Ford won't back up their vehicles then I will NEVER buy a ford or let any of my children etc...buy ford. Hopefully they will recall these 'accidents waiting to happen' before something very bad happens because of faulty parts.

- , Kingston, NB, Canada

Jan 142012

Freestar SE 3.9L V6

I own a 2006 Ford Freestar with 120,000 miles on it. I just picked up my car from the mechanic last night and had to get the transmission rebuilt. The mechanic stated that the torque converter feel apart causing metal pieces go into the rest of the transmission. Because of this situation, I had to get a new torque converter, pistons and clutches, and new filter and fluid. This cost me 1300 total. I am very upset about this and it seems lots of other people have had problems with this as well. I would of never thought this would happen since my car is only 6 years old. Just a couple weeks ago, Ford Motor company recalled 2004 & 2005 Freestars with the same problem. I think it is related and possibly made with the same transmission

- , Arcanum, OH, USA