9.3

$2,350.00

2. new transmission (7 reports)
  3. solution: torque converter $1900 or trans $3200 (5 reports)
  4. new torque converter, pistons, and clutches in transmission (3 reports)
  5. rebulid transmission (3 reports)
2006 Ford Freestar transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 172017

Freestar 4.2L

For about 6 months now, I had this horribly loud squeal coming from my van. I had been to my mechanic twice before this for other issues and asked them what it was and they said, a belt "maybe", another "car guy" and trust me I use that term loosely, from a reputable yellow clad franchise, told me it was air in my transmission fluid line, (prize for being closest but not quite right) guy at gas station told me it was wheel bearing, which my mechanic tried to say at on point also.

I actually had him take it for ride so he could see how it sometimes jumped, kind of like when you drive over the center line and there is that rumble strip...well needless to say, because I have tits, nobody took me seriously when I told them there was SOMETHING wrong with my van...so cut to me just about home from work maybe 4-5 miles. I drive 85 mile daily. In the middle of passing a vehicle and I try to accelerate and watch the tachometer zoom around to the other side as I go nowhere.

Now I am making an educated guess here and saying it was the transmission fluid pump due to the noise and the obvious slipping of the transmission. This van has been well taken care of, regular maintenance only had 45000 miles on it when it bought it 2 years ago, excellent shape in and out, wasn't expecting this problem that's for sure. Given estimates upward of 2 grand to fix, checked around for reconditioned parts...$945 for pump, and that's IF I show up with my broken part. Not to mention the 70-100 dollars an hour labor to install it. There are a few UPULLITS around but still have to remove it IF they have same vehicle of make/model/year, and closest one is 3.5 hours away.

- , Malone, US

Feb 282017

Freestar SE 3.9L V6

I got off I-4 from taking my autistic son to his appointment and luckily I was already near my home when out of nowhere, the van started to slow down even though I was hitting the gas. I pulled into a business and my van just stopped moving. Did not take any gear. Not reverse, not drive NOTHING. I'm glad I was not still on I-4 with my autistic son because I just don't know what I would have done. I don't know how I am going to get this fixed and this is my only ride. I'm angry that I keep seeing the same thing happening to this particular model and there is no recall for this year model. I will never buy a Ford again. This is awful.

- , Casselberry, FL, US

Jan 202017

Freestar ES 4.2L

I was driving along with no worries in the world. Came up the driveway of my church parking lot and all of a sudden I couldn't go anywhere. I lost all gears with zero warning. It didn't slip, smoke or give me any indication whatsoever that I had a transmission issue. Ive read many reports that this has been an ongoing issue with ford. I seen that they have recalled some of the 04 and 05's for this problem but not the 06's. Is there anything that I can do legally or any of us collectively to ensure that Ford fix this problem? Is there anyone I can contact at Ford Motor Co to report this?

- , Mayville, NY, USA

Jan 092017

Freestar SEL 4.2L

STRANDED IN HOUSTON, DON'T HAVE MONEY TO FIX $2000-3000. LOW MILEAGE CAR, DRIVE VERY CONSERVATIVELY.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Dec 032016

Freestar SE 3.9L V6

First problem when getting on I-5 south up hill the van sputters when accelerating to merge with freeway traffic. Second problem van lurches when automatic transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear driving around town. Third problem van lurches when accelerating onto I-84 eastbound to merge with freeway traffic. Fourth problem van wants to keep driving forward while braking once off freeway at stop light. I must shift to (N) neutral to prevent braking at same time as in (D) drive while stopped at light. Fifth problem van stalls after starting when trying to shift in (R) reverse to back out of driveway. Sixth problem van stalls after starting when trying to shift into (D) drive. The only way van will go is to shift into (1) First or (3) to move forward.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Oct 122016

Freestar

Tranny gave out with no warning while my daughter was sitting at a light. The light turned green and she stepped on the gas. The car didn't move. She revved it up but nothing. She then tried shifting down and still nothing. It acted like it was in neutral. When she put it in first it acted like it shifted into gear. She revved it way up and it would just barely move. She eventually limped it home as it acted like it was slipping terribly but would at least move very slowly. Reverse works fine. We took it to Aamco and they said the tranny is shot. Why are the 2004 and 2005 models recalled for this but not the 2006? Not happy. I will have to pay $2350 for a tranny in a car that only books for that much.

- , Corvallis, OR, USA

Oct 042016

Freestar V6

Transmission fails to respond, usually around the same spot entering a ramp to the highway where there is a radio controlled traffic light. I had happened maybe 6 or 7 times. I can't gain any speed to enter the highway and have to go to the shoulder and switch the hazard lights on. Trying while still rolling to manually set 1,3,n or d, won't make a difference, but in neutral the engine responds to the gas pedal without failure or engine shaking. On drive it stays about 2000 rpm, 60 km, no effect by depressing gas pedal. If I turn off and wait for a while it works normally. My mechanic didn't find anything, but I can't drive in when the problem happens

- , Hamilton, ON, Canada

Aug 122016

Freestar SEL 4.2L

I've been a Ford guy for a long time. I currently own two Fords. Ford knows the transmission was bad in the 2004 and 2005 because they recalled them. How they got away with not recalling it in the 2006 is beyond me when nothing has changed. Bad business Ford.

- , Glendale, WI, USA

Jun 232016

Freestar Sport 4.2L

both of us are handicapoped and need a reliable vehicle. transmission just let go with out any warning u could feel it go n slip then go constantly then just finally coasted to stop on side of road. had it towed to tranny shop n they cjhecked it out n said whole tranny shot needed new rebuilt one and torque convertor gone also. saw my anti slip lite came on n off several times as tranny slipped then pulled . i have heard other horror stories now with ford transmissions n people having to pay outa pocketi think it should a been a recall

- , Oshawa, ON, Canada

May 022016

Freestar 4.0L

Van was scanned, no codes found. I was told internal, nothing they would worry about. Asked if I can drive it, was told sure. Asked should I just keep driving until it brakes down, answer yea pretty much. They said they drove it and found nothing wrong. When you drive for about 30 to 40 minutes and the van get hot, it starts to slip gears. When I stop at a light and go to take off the engine revs but does not go into gear and then it jerks into second gear.

Many Freestar vans were on a recall for 2004, 2005 but not the 2006. You would think if they are having problems with the engines on the model The Freestar they would make sure all were under the recall. That's just good business. They sell you on this for thousands of dollars and then something goes wrong and no one wants to hear you. Very upset at Ford. This van only has 62,000 and has been maintenance Ford dealership since day one. Not sure how much a new transmission is going to cost but can't afford it at this time due to health issues. Ford needs to do a RECALL ON ALL 2006 FREESTARS

- , Clifton Heights, PA, USA

Apr 142016

Freestar Ford 4.2L

There was never a light come on, no signs that the transmission was going out. Went to Doc. came home parked it. Went to get in to go to town and it would not move. Very frustrated. Have seen where they have recalls on other models but not 2006 models.

- , Olla, LA, USA

Nov 072015

Freestar 3.9L

My wife's Ford Freestar torque converter went out without any warning. She went out to drive the vehicle and it would not move. The vehicle had been driven the night before and was fine. Ford has recall on 2004-2005, but not on 2006 year model. We paid out of pocket for the repair and I think Ford company should include the 2006 models also. There seems to be the same problem for that year and the mechanic told us to keep the receipt for future inquiries. What are my options in getting a rebate for this repair?

- , Elizabeth City, NC, US

Oct 012015

Freestar SEL 4.2L V6

Was on interstate 65 N just all of a sudden the motor ribbed up and stopped pulling. pulled off the interstate. Pulled back on road and it tried to pull and the RPMs went almost to the "red". The speed would go to 45-50 I was pressing the gas to the floor just for a couple minutes then it just stopped pulling at all. Had to have it towed to house that is where it is for now. Wayne has been in hospital for 32 days before this happened just have had to take care of what was needed to be took care of first. But we need this fixed to have better transportation. Have checked with local Ford dealership, they can't tell us anything until it is in shop. Almost $100 to just connect to machine to see if they can detect the problem. They don't have a person to check on it if being transmission. No transmission personnel.

- , Vinemont, AL, USA

Sep 032014

Freestar SE 3.9L

Van left me on road. Had no problems before hand. Transmission just went out. NO WARNING. Van started slowing down for no reason. I pulled over on side of road. Went to pull back onto road but would not move. Engine started ok. Van would not go backwards or forwards. Thought it might be transmission so I got out and popped hood to check transmission oil. It was fine. Thought then that it was something else so I just called for a tow truck and had it towed home.

Week or so later I had it towed to Ford dealership. They informed me that it was the transmission. They said it could not be fixed. Part that broke shattered and messed up whole thing. Had to replace transmission with a new one. .Said they had never seen that before. I had to borrow money from relative to fix it. Earlier this year I was talking to friend who has a Freestar also (2005) Mind is a 2006. She informed me that she got a recall in her van for a seat problem and a transmission problem. I don't think she had problem at that time not sure. But when she told me what the transmission problem was I realized that was the same problem I had with my transmission. I called to check on recall. I was told no recall on my van. But to check back at a later date. Because it was possible that one may be called later. They did not know at that time. I have a 2006 that was bought brand new in 2005. I take very good care a my van. Had it given me a problem beforehand I would have had it checked. This was sudden.

- , Chalmette, LA, USA

Mar 072014

Freestar SE 4.2L

I'm very disappointed with Ford. They had problems with 2004 -05 Freestars. Mine is 2006, but it says it was build in 2005

- , Glace Bay, Novascotia, canada

Jun 012014

Freestar LTD 4.2L

I was driving with my wife and 4 small children. We had just crossed a 4 lane highway, and just crested a hill, when I immediately lost power. The engine revved and the tachometer shot up. We were on a small 2 lane highway with a very small shoulder. It was extremely dangerous as vehicles were coming over the hill, and we were still slightly on the road. I had it towed to a shop, and they explained it was the Torque Converter.

I did some research and discovered that Ford recalled the torque converter in the 2004 & 2005 Ford Freestars due to Safety. I also discovered that the 2006 Freestars used the same torque converter. I don't understand how the same torque converter used in the 2004, 2005 & 2006, but the 2006 is not a safety issue. I called Ford and the "Customer Service Reps" were extremely unhelpful and rude. They couldn't explain to me the why this was not included in the recall, and when she couldn't answer me, she hung up on me.

Needless to say they weren't about to help me pay for the repairs. Unbelievable.

- , Bellevue, IA, USA

Jun 282014

Freestar

WE WERE DRIVING IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE WITH MY FAMILY (2 CHILDREN - 9MOS AND 3 YEARS OLD) IN THE BACK SEAT AND OUT OF NO WHERE THE VAN WILL NOT GO FORWARD AND WILL NOT GO BACK. IT WAS LIKE IT WAS SIMPLY THROWN INTO NEUTRAL. WE HAD TO WAIT OVER AN HOUR ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH MY SMALL CHILDREN TO GET A TOW TRUCK AS WELL AS WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO COME GET US! THE VAN WAS DRIVING JUST FINE, NO ISSUES, NO WARNING THE TRANSMISSION JUST FAILED.

- , Weston, MO, USA

May 022014

Freestar SEL 4.2L. V6

I was driving in downtown Ottawa at 9:30 p.m. when I came to a stop traffic light. When it turned green, I stepped on the gas pedal but it won't go. So, me and my son pushed it to the curb and left it there overnight and took the bus home. Came back in the morning and called a tow truck, had it towed to a garage. The mechanic called me and said he will have to open the transmission to check what is the problem and will repair it if he could or replace it if he can't repair it. So, I asked him for a quotation of both and he said if it needs replacement, he can get one and the total cost will be from $2000 to $2200. So I told him not yet because I want to get a quotation from B & N transmission specialist and I was quoted $2700.

I want to ask Ford Canada to split the cost because it also happened to my 2005 Ford Freestar which was recalled and got reimbursed after I had the torque converter replaced. All 2006 Ford Freestar should also be recalled for the transmission problems.

- , Nepean, Ontario, Canada

Mar 122014

Freestar LS V6

1 month after extended warranty expired transmission failed. Torque converter. Known problem by Ford and no help. Stuck with a car payment and no vehicle. Dealer offered to roll the balance owed into another Ford. What a joke. I will never buy another Ford product as long as I draw breath. My family and friends will also never buy Ford again. The death of another American company due to greed.

- , Claremont, NH, US

Mar 192014

Freestar 4.2L V6

Oil pump drive shaft failure.

Burnt clutches, and already at 93K miles, so we replaced transmission with rebuild.

I looked at the drive for thew oil pump. Poor design at shaft support Bearing...

- , N. Richland Hills, TX, USA