2005 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 15 of 16)

Jul 202010

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle and when in forward gear at idle it will surge forward without pressing the accelerator. This problem is worse in the summer I believe due to A/C in use. This surging also happens when you turn the steering wheel. I believe this to be the engine control computer trying to maintain engine idle speed but it over compensates for the load of the ac or power steering load. This surging has many times caused close calls in drive thrus and parking.

- Whitesburg, GA, USA

Jul 312010

The throttle body on our 2005 Ford Freestyle must be replaced. While driving today, 7/31/10, our car went into "engine failsafe mode" 8 times, 8 times!, while driving on the interstate and on a SC/nc state highway. Fortunately we were able to find a safe place to pull over each time. We have been on a waiting list for 2 weeks for a $600 part, and must now rent a car. I have noticed many online complaints regarding this issue that date back several years. This is a serious safety issue and I am hoping that the NHTSA will finally encourage the Ford Motor Company to issue a recall on this. Thanks.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 162010

2005 Ford Freestyle lunges forward when 1) engine is warm, 2)A/C is on, 3) at complete stop with brakes engaged and 4) begin to turn steering wheel to make turn. 5) engine stalls. Dealer diagnosed defective throttle body. Very unsafe!!!

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jul 242010

54,000 miles auto throttle body replaced at a shared cost with Ford since the warranty had only been expired for a short time. 93,000 miles problem has returned worse than ever - car is dangerous to drive as the surging now happens on every trip. Seems to be mainly when going into reverse but has also happened just stopping at a light or stop sign. Parking structure walls have almost been hit and a student was almost hit when they walked in front of my car and I braked for them. The student thought I hit the gas when they stepped in front of my car (not the case at all) - the car simply surged forward like it does frequently. Now the car has begun going into fail safe mode while driving down the road. Contacted Ford dealer for service and before dropping car off asked if part was still on backorder. Part is still on backorder at least until 8/31/2010. Hoping Ford will take responsibility soon before someone gets hurt!

- Clinton, MI, USA

Jul 012009

2005 Ford Freestyle surging while in gear. Has been happening for over a year and has been to the dealer for repairs but never fixed. Dealer now tells me that it needs a throttle body but he is not able to get one from Ford as they are back ordered. Now I'm forced to use a car which the dealer service manager said was dangerous. I can no longer afford to rent and my Ford esp won't reimburse until the repair is completed.

- Croton On Hudson, NY, USA

Jul 192010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car surged after starting in putting into reverse. Put foot on brake to stop. Thank goodness no one behind me. Car message center indicated "fail safe mode". cut car off, restarted took to dealer where codes indicated I needed to replace the throttle body control at a cost of over $800. Dealer said this was one of many that had failed and all had caused a sudden surge without warning as my car also lunged into reverse with no warning. Web site also indicated many problems with this same potential safety problem on 3.0 V6 units made in 2005. Dealer said it usually happens just after the warranty goes out and mine lasted much longer, but I feel it is unsafe to drive unless fixed.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jul 122010

Car lurches when put into gear.

- Farmington, MI, USA

Jun 052010

2005 Ford Freestyle. Started to notice it felt like it would lunge forward after idling for a few minutes in park. I thought it was my imagination at first. This happened at least 6 times when I drove it (this is not the car I usually drive). Then on June 5, 2010 I was in park at a gas station with the engine on and I put it in reverse and it lunged backwards...I slammed on the brakes and they didn't work...I switched it to neutral and then the engine stalled out and all the dash lights came on (oil, repair, engine, fail mode). I turned the key switch to off, waited a few minutes, then restarted it and all the lights were off. I was able to return home safely. I was just glad no one was behind me. This is a serious problem/defect!! I'm scared to drive it now! especially after reading about all the other people who have complained about having this problem with their Freestyles.

- Van Wert, OH, USA

Jul 152008

My 2005 Ford Freestyle surges when put into forward or reverse gear without stepping on the gas pedal.

- Caledonia, MS, USA

May 252010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Loud noises coming from car, engine, transmission days prior to driving to work. Driving to work car turns off and comes to stop in the middle of busy intersection. Can start car but can't move it. Car does not move forward or backward. Having car looked at by dealer. Reading message boards and finding out that there are many, no wait lots of other people experiencing the same thing. People being told to replace transmissions only to have them repeatedly break multiple times. Make: Ford model: Freestyle transmission: Cvt.

- East Troy, WI, USA

May 012007

We had a 2005 Ford Freestyle that would accelerate unexpectedly when you put the car in drive or reverse. We got rid of the vehicle after a couple times that this happened and one close call with a wall. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 012009

05 Ford Freestyle shutting off, surging while in park, decreased power while driving, check engine light coming on, air bag light coming on, leaching and surging while driving. Occurs every day at various times while driving. Waited 7 months for a replacement throttle body ($600), did not resolve issue, paid $500 for new instrument cluster, problem still exists.

- Montgomery, NY, USA

Nov 192009

Purchased a 2005 Ford Freestyle brand new, after 34,000 miles the transmission went, luckily it was under warranty, another 30,000 miles later the transmission has gone again; as I was pulling out onto a highway! this technically will be the 3rd transmission in this vehicle. I have kept maintenance with this vehicle, had everything done at the dealership I purchased the vehicle, I had just had my 65,000/70,000 mile check and was told the car had nothing wrong with it, and 10,000 miles later the transmission is gone again! now they want me to pay $3000 to have it fixed again! this is more then just fix the vehicle and be done with it, who is to say it is not going to happen again and next time myself or my family will not be so lucky! this is a safety issue, when you are trying to pull out on a highway an your vehicle just creeps out. Need I say anymore, there should be a recall on these transmissions. People pay alot of money to have a decent vehicle we should not be paying alot of money for a vehicle that is not going to make us feel safe! please note the original problem happened at only 34,000 miles. I was also asked about the speed, I had my foot all the way to the floor to pull out on highway and the vehicle would not hit any speed, but when it crept out it reach a speed of 30. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

Aug 122009

There were no real events leading up to the failure, it just happened all of a sudden out of the blue. I was pulling out of the elementary school w/ my 2 children, and 3 other small children. I pulled out and when I pressed the gas it went and then started jumping and stalling in the middle of the road. I finally got it to go, but was almost hit by oncoming traffic. I took it to the local dealership and they listed it as a throttle body failure and that it needed to be replaced. This part is on a national backorder and they made me drive the vehicle home and did not offer me a rental car. It has been 6 days and I still have atleast 2 more before I find out if I will get a rental car. If I drive the car, I put my children and others at risk, and I definitely am very upset B/C I am still paying on this car, and I'm stuck with payments and no car. This is a huge safety issue and nothing is being done about it!!!!!

- Jasper, AL, USA

Jul 202009

My Ford Freestyle surges forward when put I put it in drive from park. It will also surge backwards when the car is put in reverse from the park position. Sometimes it will even surge forward in the drive position if I have been sitting at a stoplight idling for too long. On occasion after this occurs the car will stall. Sometimes when the car is started again, it acts like it will work fine but then will not drive over 40 mph. This forward surge is so powerful when it occurs that it will jump forward even when my foot is on the brake. It primarily happens after the car has been parked in a parking lot but also occurs while idling at a stop light. When the car jerks forward like this even with the foot on the brake I feel this is a safety hazard. I have read about this happening on the Ford Freestyle alot. I am concerned that my car will surge into an intersection and I will be in an accident. I am also concerned that I will run over a pedestrian in a parking lot because of this problem. Ford says it is the throttle body assembly. The part is on national backorder. According to some accounts I have read this has been on backorder since last year! they know this is a problem yet they keep sending people home from dealerships with these defective dangerous cars. When I called Ford customer service to complain they pretended like they were not aware of the problem, but I have seen pages and pages of consumer complaints about this dangerous situation. I am afraid they won't consider this important or dangerous enough to recall until someone is seriously injured or worse. This failure occurs every time I drive the car. The car has been taken to the dealership but no part was available to fix the car.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jul 262009

Was maneuvering vehicle in a parking lot when all of a sudden the car surged forward. Was able to apply brake before hitting anything. Car engine also stalls and upon restart a check engine light came on and car did not want to accelerate. This has happened more than once. Took to local Ford dealership and was told that the electronic throttle body needed replacing. Was told the part was not available until possibly in December. After reviewing complaints on the web, this seems to be a large problem with this vehicle. This is a serious safety issue with the car wanting to surge forward.

- New Cambria, KS, USA

Dec 202008

We get a "AWD malfunction" showing up on the dash. They want over $5,000 for the repair. The car is only 4 years old and value is only about $11,000. As I read online, there could be more wrong past this because some have the same issue and next the transmission has to get replaced also. So the fist "fix" cost us $500+ and then they said it would be another $5,000+.

- Ringle, WI, USA

Sep 262008

When driving my 2005 Freestyle I lost all power while going 70mph and was able to pull it off the road after almost being hit from behind by a semi truck. Turned key to off position and restarted and everything was fine. Did the same thing a week later. Took to dealer and they could not find anything wrong. Was told it most likely was a bad "throttle body", but they could do nothing until it did it for them. Has happened two more times since.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Aug 172008

The car was put into reverse, then it with my foot still on the brake, it attempted to throttle backwards. I applied more pressure to the brake and then the car stalled. I thought this was a fluke but this same thing has happened more than once now. This issue has happened now at least 4 times. Biggest problem is determining the problem. When I restart the car the engine light that was on when the car stalled has now been cleared. I am attempting to capture the code so that I can get that information to the dealership, so that this issue can be fixed. Until then the dealership can not do much. According to other experiencing the same issue it is the throttle body assy."F=1&T=2354"F=1&T=2197.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 192008

While driving with my 2 children in the car, the "throttle body" went, leaving me with no power to my vehicle. We were very lucky to not have been injured or involved in an accident. The vehicle was taken the next day to the repair shop and was fixed in 2 days, with a new "electronic throttle body" being installed. According to both the Ford website and customer service representative, there is no recall on this vehicle for this problem. Is there anything you can do as this is a definite safety issue??

- Nesquehoning, PA, USA