2005 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 6 of 16)

Jul 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle 's engine just shut off. After pulling off the road I tried several times to start the vehicle, to no avail. I waited approximately 20 minutes before trying again. The engine started, but would not go in gear. After several attempts of trying to put it in gear, it suddenly worked! knowing I had a 250 mile trip back home, I was very leery about taking a chance with it. Fortunately, I made it. I contacted my mechanic and made an appointment to get the vehicle in the shop the next day. The diagnostic machine was used and it "threw" several different codes, rendering it undiagnosable? the mechanic called Ford Motor Corp. And they said they would get back with him. After 2 weeks of waiting, I called Ford myself and was treated extremely rude and also was told my mechanic was not qualified to diagnose this problem! two months later, I get a letter saying the 'throttle body" needed to be "cleaned out"...at their expense. This procedure was done and I am continuously having problems with the transmission, especially when it gets cold (around 32 degrees). The vehicle will run after warming the engine (shutting it down/restarting repeatedly) before it decides to finally run "normal". I was told this resets the code"?" I will never buy another Ford, they do not back their product or their name! Ford has been made aware of these problems with this cvt transmission and they need to correct the problem there are numerous complaints and we, the consumer, need help with this on going issue. Most can not afford to handle this repair and those who did, had not resolved this issue after spending thousands of dollars! I believe, when I purchased this vehicle (used) in 2007, Ford knew of this issue, but gave no knowledge to me. I did ask about this cvt transmission because I had never heard of it before. They informed me that it was the greatest transmission ever...really!!!!

- Yulee, FL, USA

Feb 192013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Well after I received the recall letter for cleaning of the throttle body, the following week I began hearing a noise as if I was in an airplane when before that was not the case. The I was headed to work one morning and I could not accelerate over 40 mph and my truck started jerking so I immediately pulled over and turned my truck off. I started back up heading straight to Ford service dept. As I'm driving the wrench symbol came on which I had seen but when I brought it up to the service man the day they did the recall, he informed me that it was nothing. Yet, this particular day when I got to them I just left my truck running to make sure he sees and hears what I am just for him to tell me that I would need a new throttle body and I now need a transmission over 5900 dollars that I didn't think was fair. Then he goes on telling me that after this recall they always have trouble with acceleration and transmission problems. So, I asked him why he didn't inform me ? his response was that they only do what Ford manufacturer tells them.. so they should be responsible considering they have been aware of this cvt problem.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Feb 222013

Freestyle

The transmission of this vehicle is bad. Ford knows it and they it but did not do anything about it. As we are driving down the freeway going 75 / 80 miles an hour the transmission will go to what they call a safe mode or something like that. When this happens it goes down to 40 miles an hour. If you are on the freeway when this happens it could create a problem, crash and thus is a safety concern.

- Grandville, MI, USA

Feb 122013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the vehicle independently surged forward. Additionally, the contact stated while at a complete stop, she attempted to accelerate but the vehicle would not respond. The contact continually applied pressure to the accelerator pedal until the vehicle responded. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Monticello, ME, USA

Feb 062013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine went idle during rush hr on I95 center lane traffic flying by rpms soaring and im at a coast trying to get over scared the bleep out of several other drivers. Dash says engine fail safe mode and as I brake the car is lurching and jerking. I shut it off. I breathe in and out and then start her back up and I limp along the shoulder to the exit ramp. Arrange a day off and take it to Ford (went idle twice on the way) and they "clean out the deposits" in the throttle body free as part of a recall. So Monday back on the highway it happens again.omg so I take it to the local guy and he replaces the throttle body assembly for about $700. Car is running great, acceleration is back she feels like new and it made me realize that the throttle had been acting weird for a while - occasionally things like starting the car and that initial acceleration when pulling forward or back but it never just went idle like that - that's just dangerous. I think it is unfair that Ford did not replace this part - I left Ford confident that they knew what they were doing especially because I told them of my near miss on the highway.

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Oct 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When it gets below freezing, I get a wrench light and then there is no throttle response. A few weeks ago I was stuck in a snow storm with this problem. I ended up purchasing a carmd device and found out that it is a transmission valve body, but the local Ford Motor Company insists that it is the complete transmission and wants to charge for something that I think that this should be a recall because of all of the complaints and listings on the web for the same problem. After reading further into the information I have found out that the cvt transmission is attached to a 3.5L six cylinder engine that is pushing more horsepower than the transmission can handle. Therefore this is a deliberate neglect on the Ford Motor Company and should make appropriate corrections to resolve the problem.

- Mobridge, SD, USA

Dec 142012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Started the car, headed out and "check transmission" came on. Took to the dealer they came up with 2 codes, possible transmission, possible mechatronics. Dealer recommended take home and if/when error messages appear bring the car back. Car was fine for few miles then "check transmission" followed by "check engine" and immediate loss of power. Took car back to dealer (used scanner to clear so I could drive). Left at dealer for them to drive and get some answers. Was told need a new transmission parts + labor around $6500-$7000. With a four month wait due to production back log. Before this happened I loved this car.. hoping the dealer will work with me on trade in, can not afford a new car!

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 212012

Freestyle

My AWD malfunction light is on and the all wheel drive does not work.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Aug 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car jump in low speed and you have to apply the brakes, this was in direct drive or reverse.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle began to surge on the hwy. The rpms would surge forward and relax to normal RPM speed. I received a recall letter a few day's ago. My worry is that I have taken it to repair facilities and they found nothing wrong. I am worried that I will have transmission problems because of the recall defect. I have read many posts about cvt transmission failure, it would appear that Ford is doing nothing about the transmission problems. I have owned Ford for over thirty years and if the cvt problems are not addressed. I will not buy another, my family will not buy again either.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Jul 092012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car surges when at low speeds without applying pressure of gas, transmission is shifting very wierd, kicks hard then the next day works.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Aug 212012

Freestyle

Vehicle lunges or surges when at idle or low speeds in forward and reverse.

- Howard, CO, USA

Jun 042012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car was parked in rear of apartment complex.when I put it in reverse it lunged back without my foot on the gas, smashing the rear of the car into the apartment building wall. I did have a seat belt on but the impact caused severe neck trauma as my head was turned at the time of impact. I shut the car off. Approximately an hour later I started the car, put it in drive, and as I attempted to drive the car home, it would "lose power", the wrench light would come on, and the car would have no transmission power. I had to pull the car over, turn it off and restart it. This happened repeatedly. The local Ford dealership incorrectly diagnosed and charged me a repair for cleaning the sensor - and refused to refund me my diagnostic charges even though my car was not fixed. I did my own research to learn it was a throttle body issue. The service manager stated they would apply the credit towards replacing the throttle body....but not all the charges. They were horrible to deal with in customer service after completely failing to fix my car and charging me almost $500.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Feb 122010

Freestyle 6-cyl

When vehicle is complete stopped with brake applied, the vehicle will lunge forward. This happened numerous times during my two years of driving this vehicle until the transmission went completely out. Several times I barely missed hitting the car in front of me. Luckily I never pull up real close. Ford is now 90 days out on getting a new transmission and the cost to replace it is more than the vehicle is worth.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Oct 092012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Ford has not issued a recall on their cvt transmission. There were over 54 pages of complaints on one website. Ford has also decided not to make a replacement part. Therefore, the consumer is faced with a $6000 repair bill. There is no doubt the transmission is faulty as Ford changed to a more reliable 6speed automatic. Those of who have a nice vehicle are faced with oversized yard art as the common man can buy another car for the repair. Trying to trade resulted in "what will we do with it?" nice answer.

- Pikeville, TN, USA

Jun 072012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle surges at low speeds, more frequently when A/C is on.

- Marysville, PA, USA

Sep 192012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While maneuvering my vehicle in a small space (forward, reverse, turning the wheel) the car began to surge and lunge (has occurred before, but mostly in reverse.) there was loud whining when I turned the steering wheel (that began recently and is almost constant.) the engine began to rev loudly, the car trying to lunge even with the brake applied. I reversed the car several feet from the road for fear it would lunge into traffic. The engine light (1st time ever) and the wrench symbol came on. Car went into limp mode, would not accelerate or exceed 30mph. (4th or 5th time this has happened in the one year I've owned the car.) diagnostic codes given by autozone on 9/19/12: P2106 (throttle actuator control system) & P061B (internal control module torque calculation performance error.) upon restart, engine light off. Dealer was contacted, and on 9/26/12 I drove the car to repair shop. They said smart junction box melted, must replace (electronic chassis control module )before doing repairs to the throttle body, cvt and suddenly non-working A/C (was working prior). No repairs have been made to the vehicle as the dealership (not Ford) refuses to honor the 36,000ml warranty with car. Recent problems prior to 9/26/12:*highway driving (55+mph/sometimes using cruise) car revs high rpms/will not accelerate at all/resumes later*sputters/stalls/loses power when slowing/stopping (it does restart) instrument panel brightens/dims*power locks malfunctioning (unlock function works with fob only) often while driving car locks/unlocks continuously/car randomly unlocks after being parked/turned off player not working/displayed error code/2 month later working again*security system function inconsistent/disables randomly*gears not engaging right away, then a loud noise and car surges/lunges into drive/reverse* lunging (mostly reverse) and surge/lunge when in drive/brake applied.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle lurches/lunge just before stop. On numerous occasions, it would lurch/lunge just as it is stopping. Has been going on for a year; had vehicle serviced/repaired but still continues to malfunction.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jan 142007

Freestyle

I've had problems with this vehicle numerous times over the past few years. I filed a complaint on here once but do not remember the dates or the username/password I used. This vehicle is the worst car I have ever owned. I've sunk thousands into repairs in the last couple of years. I've had instrument cluster replaced 4 times, replaced engine mounts, my A/C compressor went out on it, throttle body replaced. And now it sits on blocks we thought was the fuel pump went out so replaced it. Didn't do any good. Not sure what it is the instrument cluster still doesn't work correctly, it was surging til the day the other day when it just wont go anymore, it will start and run but won't go. I was told it could be numerous things, throttle body again, instrument cluster still not right, might be my transmission, could be my pedal throttle sensor, fuel switch out..........so what do I do nickel and penny everything I have into a lemon that obviously the NHTSA nor Ford care about. I'm a single mother with two children, we live 7 miles from town...and now I have no transportation. I bought this vehicle in 2005 and paid quite a bit for it. Its like toilet paper or diapers....disposable! I will never purchase a Ford again.

- Cherokee Village , AR, USA

Apr 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car lunges forward. It happen in forward or reverse gear. Ac in on position. It has happen when car starts moving or while it is moving at lower speeds. No accidents, just close calls. In driveways, drive thru's. moving on streets and parking lots. Having to apply brakes harder. Car stalls at hotter outside temperatures.

- St. Louis, MO, USA