2005 Ford Freestyle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Oct 102012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The failure recurred intermittently as the contact drove at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer advised that the computer had to be reset. After the repair the failure continued. The check engine warning light was also illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Gap, PA, USA

Oct 242012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine sputter then failure. Then computer error states, fail safe engine mode. Diagnostic reveals throttle body failure. Common problem according to service department recall pending, why won't U act. Web full of this complaint.

- Berea, KY, USA

Oct 242012

- Keres, KY, USA

Oct 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My instrument panel started going out while I was driving down the highway one night and it caused my reverse lights to flash on and off. This is a problem that Ford knows about and it is a problem due to faulty solder joints on the back of the instrument panel, there is a tsb for this, but there is no recall on this why? this problem has also led to my transmission going out again, and Ford will do nothing about any of it. I am not the only one who has had this problem either there are tons of owners of this car that have had these issues. Ford needs to be held accountable for these issues that are a result of faulty manufacturing. We are a hard working family and we spent everything we had replacing the transmission in our car six months ago, and our warranty was up seven days before our transmission went out and now thanks to the faulty instrument panel doing whatever it was doing to the computer when it was cutting in and out it has tore my almost $4000 transmission up and now I have no car to haul all of my children around in. I also contacted Ford via email and the response I got was save your receipts in case of a recall or a forgiveness program is started up.

- Carlisle, IN, USA

Jul 162012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the transmission warning light illuminated. The contact decelerated to 40 mph as the vehicle began to lunge forward abnormally. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the dealer, who stated that the transmission would need to be replaced again however, they did not have the necessary parts to complete the repair. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the transmission was rebuilt however, the failure recurred. The contact was informed that there was an electrical problem that was causing the recurring transmission failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 84,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Ligonier, PA, USA

Apr 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle unexpectedly surges when turning into a parking space or sitting at drive through. Also having issues with engine dying when reversing.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 292012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was backing up out of a parking spot very slowly and the car surged backward about a foot, I was able to depress the brake and stop it. The fail safe mode then engaged. I turned the car off and sat for a couple minutes and restarted it and started backing out. The same thing happened again, the surge backward and the failsafe mode engaged. I once again stopped and turned off the engine and sat for about 15 minutes. When I restarted the car the check engine light was on but I was able to back out of the parking space all right, and the failsafe mode did not come back on. It was an extremely hot 100 degrees day, and the A/C was on. This is extremely scary. I could have hit someone.

- New York, NY, USA

Apr 012011

Freestyle

When parking, driving very slow (under 10mph) or backing up my car lunges forward with surge of power and foot on brake not gas. Sometimes it dies and gave error code engine failsafe mode. Worse when acon, don't remember it being an issue in the winter. Took to dobbs and was told it was my throttle body and my computer would need reset. Cleaned throttle body to see if that would correct issue. Improved, but did not correct. Very scary and dangerous in traffic, approaching stop signs, especially if pedestrians nearby. Fear could lunge at them.

- Crystal City, MO, USA

Jun 132012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lost power at 35-40 mph for just a few seconds. Many instances of lunging in forward and reverse. Frightening to drive in parking lots.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Mar 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The instrument cluster sporadically shuts down and you are unable to see the speedometer, odometer or any gauges on the dashboard for about 10 seconds. The problem recurs several times a day. The answer I have received is that my car is receiving a surge of energy causing this malfunction. My vehicle has completely shorted out at this point and my lights on the inside of the vehicle and dashboard flicker, but the motor is not attempting to start. Hoping it is a blown fuse but maybe the alternator.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 102012

Freestyle

While driving the instrument cluster would behave erratically and then completely stop working for 10-30 seconds, after this the wrench and seat belt light stay on. Then they reset and all gauges work normally and then this reoccurs. During these occurrences the engine would act sluggishly and there would be slower acceleration. This has been happening for 3+ months and today the gauges have all stopped working, the same 2 icons are lite and now the reverse lights stay on whether the car is in park, drive, neutral or reverse. The turn signals, lights and brake lights all work but do not display on the dash. Seen the tsb's from Ford, the investigation done by NHTSA PE07058, this needs to be re-opened and a recall performed by Ford.

- Depew, NY, USA

Mar 222012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving to work all of a sudden the cluster lights in the instrument panel all went out and the speedometer, odometer, control temp, and gas gage all zeroed out and a wrench and air bag light came on. Then after about 10 minutes of driving everything starting working again and the two warning lights went off however, then the check engine light came on. I had a diagnostic done and the errors were all electrical. Have to take it in a few days to the Ford dealer and be charged a $90 fee up front just for them to look at it and diagnose the problem. According to all the complaints it's been a very well known problem that Ford should have dealt with in a recall. Not just try to sweep it under the rug. I'm sure it's going to cost me an arm and a leg when they get done. I have always owned a Ford but now I think I'm going to make a switch to a Chrysler (since I do work there now) and I know I will be taken care of not just taken.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Feb 142012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the speedometer, odometer and fuel gauge failed and displayed an erroneous reading of zero. In addition, the turn signals and headlights were inoperable. The contact also stated that with the brakes depressed, the vehicle would surge forward abnormally. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure, nor was the vehicle diagnosed or repaired. The current and the failure mileages were 60,000.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Sep 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle with two issues.. issue #1- when shifting into gear (drive or reverse) or starting to accelerate the car lunges forward or backward. It is a requirement to stay a few feet back and foot firmly on the brake at all times as not to hit other vehicles or pedestrians. Issue #2- instrument panel randomly began to illuminate lights (ie check engine, seatbelt, air bag) for a period of time and then they would disappear. Then the gauges (ie gas, temp, and speedometer) began not working. Took it in to shop and they confirmed a faulty instrument cluster.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 172007

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have more than one complaint. 1) shortly after buying my used 2005 Freestyle I would be driving both at higher and lower speeds and I would loose all control of the vehicle. It would not respond to gas or steering. It was like it was losing power but it was still running. I had several near misses when this would happen. I was lucky that when I bought my Freestyle it was "certified" and under warranty, otherwise the repairs would have cost me over $1200. My Ford dealer replaced the kind of sensor/brain as they called it. Has been working sense. 2) air compressor needs to be replaced now. I thought the A/C wasn't blowing cold enough, I finally told it to a repair shop I trust and he said he couldn't understand I had any cool air at all. 3) brakes, rear most of all, have been replaced several times. Way too soon and anytime it's wet they squeal like crazy. Guess I need to have them changed again. 4) transmission issues are starting now. I roughly have 90K miles and hoped this would be my last car for several more years. I hate to trade it in and start another car payment and let this car get back out to some other unsuspecting soul.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Dec 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving on the highway with my wife at a speed of 55mph the motor suddenly dies and the wrench symbol appears. I tried to restart the car by turning the key - didn't work. Luckily we were close to an exit and I let the car roll out and onto a parking lot. There I tried again to start the car and it suddenly started again and the wrench symbol is gone. I went to a mechanic to have it checked out but he couldn't find anything. And the car runs fine w/O incident since then. I am just glad that my 3 kids weren't with us in the car that day and that nothing serious happened. A motor dying on a highway can cause serious trouble ! shortly after I bought the car about 2 months ago the cel went on and the error codes for torque/throttle body were given. I went to valvoline to have the fuel system cleaned and the codes taken out, no problems since then. But I've noticed that the car is very sluggish when I accelerate and then suddenly lunges. Needless to say that I think this car is not the best model Ford developed, we did some research on this model and there are so many complaints. Ford needs to do some serious customer care !!! and of course I find my car highly unreliable and expect it to break down any day.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 082010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the instrument cluster had a interruption in power, causing the dials to operate improperly. The contact was unable to read the speedometer due to the malfunction. The contact had the instrument cluster replaced by the dealer three times bu the failure continued to recur. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the cluster malfunction and the manufacturer advised that there was nothing they could do to assist. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Barlington, NC, USA

Nov 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Eng. Surging car wants to accelerate while standing at red light hat trouble holding car still also while driving car wants to lurch forward.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Aug 262011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Unexplained acceleration of vehicle. Car lurches for no apparent cause.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Aug 152011

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle surges and accelerates from a stop or low speed. It is particularly evident when shifting the transmission from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. The acceleration can last for maximum 5 seconds but you better have your foot firmly planted on the brake or the vehicle could lunge forward or backward into oncoming or parked cars and pedestrians. It doesn't happen al the time, often after the car has been run and parked for a 15-30 minute period.

- Walpole, NH, USA