2005 Ford Freestyle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jun 012010

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle experiencing electrical instrument failure. All gauges fail (drop to zero) and dash light goes out while driving. Gauges may resume to working position, but sometimes continue to fail while driving. Very scary when speedometer registers 0 mph at highway speeds!

- Cranberry Township, PA, USA

Jul 262010

Freestyle

I was driving my car (pulling out of a mall) approaching the highway, I stopped for traffic to clear. With my foot on the brake, my car suddenly leapt forward toward traffic. Thinking that maybe I didn't have my brake pedal pushed hard enough (scaring me) I pushed my foot harder on the brake pedal. But the car kept lurching forward. Luckily the traffic cleared & I proceeded onto the highway. Then, the car didn't seem to move, so I pressed the gas pedal a little harder. The car acted like it was in neutral, then moved forward very slowly. I pushed the gas pedal harder, and again, the car acted like it was in neutral, then finally moved forward very slowly. Traffic was coming from behind so I kept going forward. Luckily the Ford dealership was just a couple blocks away (around the corner). So I drove it very carefully straight to the dealership service department. At most I was going about 30-35 miles per hour. The dealership says the problem is the throttle body needs to be replaced. They have to order parts. Luckily my extended warranty is in effect, so it's supposed to be covered, except for a $100. Deductible. (plus we"ll need to pay charges to have the parts shipped asap). Today, my husband checked online and found that this has been an ongoing problem with Ford Freestyle's. this is absolutely dangerous! my car could easily have lurched out into heavy 40-45 mile per hr traffic, if I hadn't had fast reflexes! or if I had pulled out in front of the higher speed traffic I could have been hit from behind! my car has only about 37,000 miles. I've had about four incidences of electrical problems with it. First, they replaced my alternator. Then my battery. Then my instrument cluster panels & (in the dashboard) airconditioning panels. At least they're the things that I know they've done (because the don't tell you all the things they've fixed or replaced). I don"T know if these things are connected. Also according to the internet, these parts have be hard to find.

- Ridge Manor, FL, USA

Aug 162009

Freestyle

We bought a new 2005 Ford Freestyle in October 2005. We had no problems until our 3 year warranty expired in October 2008. Beginning in 2009 we began to notice that our instrument panel would lose power. All dials would go down to zero, flicker and the entire panel would be dead for a short time. It happened intermittently and we lived with it for a year before taking the vehicle back to the san leandro, ca Ford dealer, paying $250 for an engine diagnostic in January 2009. The diagnostic which took all day, revealed that there was a short in a wire in the instrument panel which meant the panel would have to be replaced in its entirety ($700). Not having the $700 to pay for the solution I came home to do some research. I found that per Ford tsb 06-17-9 all Ford dealerships were told about this defect. It was investigated by the NHTSA and because the problem did not involve the operation of the exterior functions of the vehicle, there was no recall. I would like to know why Ford mc is taking $250 from its customers to diagnose a problem that it already knew about. Also, if it were your vehicle, would you be satisfied in paying $700 for a replacement part that Ford readily admits to having been soldered incorrectly during the manufacturing process? I can testify that there is a safety issue involved here. When driving home from yosemite np at night, along steep mountain roads, my family of 4 children, mom and dad nearly drove off the road when our entire cabin went dark because the instrument panel shut down. We had to brake hard and cars behind us and in front had to do the same in response. I could not tell how fast we were going, nor how much gas was left in the tank for a period of 10 minutes. Reverse lights come on whilst driving in forward direction causing drivers to brake behind us. The investigation should be reopened because this problem is ongoing and will cause loss of life for the sake of a replacement part that was badly made.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jul 172010

Freestyle

Re-experiencing electrical instrument cluster problems. Battery and alternator replaced 6/2008 when car dead in driveway. 8 months later 4/2009 electrical gauges fail and reset and same local mechanic replaced fuses. Two months later 6/2009 gauges continue to fail and reset leading dealer, referencing tsb, to replace with new instrument cluster. Luckily covered under extended warranty. Mileage then 63,000. In last year the car running fine until month ago June /July 2010 when electrical gauges continuously stopping and resetting on highway with and without A/C running mostly within first 30 minutes of driving. Also, subtle engine delay and fanlike sounds coming from underneath experienced during and after these episodes. While on vacation with these problems, two local mechanics suggested bad alternator but took to another NY Ford dealer who diagnosed and replaced alleged leaking battery which was only 2 yr old battery. Of course, did not correct problem. Symptoms of electrical failure and reset are daily now and external lights dimming on off. Calling back original dealer for diagnosis and next steps. Extended warranty now expired. Very concerned that car electrical power will shut down on highway while traveling with 3 children. 76,000 miles.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Jun 252010

Freestyle

All gauges stopped working and back-up lights on when ignition is on.

- Caseville, MI, USA

Jul 172010

Freestyle

I have had this problem from about 2 months after obtaining the vehicle. And I currently have 49500 miles approx. The vehicle will lunge going forward or backwards, stall at times, clunking noises. Have taken vehicle in many times, and was at one time nothing wrong. Then Ford dealer replaced some part in engine. While the vehicle was running and A/C was on in park, placed in reverse vehicle lunged again then the fail safe notification along with the wrench came on. Took vehicle to dealer as I was told to bring it back when it was happening again. They told me today that it was the throttle body and map sensors that need to be repaired as they mechanically failed I have an extended warranty and it is not a covered item which for both items will cost almost $1500 which should have been covered under the comprehensive coverage of any extended warranty as it is part of the engine and working comprehensive parts. I know of at least 100 people in my area that have had the same problem with the throttle body, yet Ford will not do a recall on this as it is considered a fire/safety hazard as the map sensors are on the manifold which controls the fuel. If you review the internet you will find many people with the 2005 Ford Freestyle are having the same problem with these items and should be a national recall on it.

- Upland, CA, USA

Jul 052010

Freestyle

Started car and put in gear then it lunged forward with foot on brake. Turned car off for a moment (15 seconds) turned back on put in reverse and it lunged backwards into a pole (thank god someone wasn't behind me). Failsafe engine mode light came on, a wrench and check engine also showed up. As of now car is being towed to dealer. It is not under warranty. 96 K miles.

- Verona, KY, USA

May 212010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Electrical ground connection failure 2nd repair within 70,000.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

May 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

2005 Ford Freestyle with 54K miles. Instrument cluster intermittently goes completely dark. All gauges including speedometer stop working. Happens randomly about 2 times per day. Taken to Ford dealer who looked up tsb (06-17-9). Charged $750 for parts and labor. No responsibility taken by Ford for this obvious and dangerous manufacturing defect. This is an all to common problem in this year vehicle should be recalled.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Apr 122010

Freestyle 8-cyl

I own a 2005 Ford Freestyle with 33,200 miles on it. I bought it new. In late March 2010, the needles on the gauges started sweeping down to zero and the car lost power. Then the car regained power again. This happened 4 times in the last two weeks. The last time it happened I was driving down I-85 at 55 mph with tractor trailer trucks directly in back of me and also along side of me. The gauges swept and the car lost power but the power did not come back and I was barely able to get the car to the side of the road. It had to be towed in for service. Of course, Ford said it was not covered under my warranty and I would have to pay to repair ┐cluster┐ failure. This was extremely dangerous as I had my 3 yr old granddaughter in a car seat in the rear passenger position. If I had not been able to get the car off the highway, the probability of being rear ended by another vehicle was high. That stretch of I-85 is highly traveled by commercial vehicles. Tractor trailer's cannot stop quickly. My granddaughter could have been killed. I did some research and learned that NHTSA defect investigation peo7058 has not resulted in a recall of the 2005 Freestyle. At what point does NHTSA determine that a ┐defect┐ is serious enough to warrant a recall" and is it fair that I have to pay to correct manufacturer's defects"

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Dec 102009

Freestyle

It started with the instrument cluster acting funny the guages dropped to 0 and jittered after a few seconds they went back to normal... now my reverse lights stay on and the cluster doesn't work for longer periods of time.

- Saint John, 00, USA

Mar 082010

Freestyle

We own a 2005 Ford Freestyle. Over the last 4-5 months we have had issues with the instrumentation panel "going black". this has caused the vehicles reverse lights to come on and stay on. It was happening about once every few weeks and has increased to a weekly issue. We have to unhook and rehook the battery to temporily fix the problem each time. A mechanic indicated it is an issue with the electronic cluster controlling the instrumentation panel. Upon searching multiple sites this seems to be the most frequent non-recall issue for this year/make/model car. When it happens while driving the vehicle instrumentation goes crazy, the car bucks, and the reverse lights come on. I have been told it is a component problem with the mother board which is a defect and even replacing it will not necessarily fix the problem in the long term as this could occur with the new electronic cluster as well.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Jan 102010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Request to re-open NHTSA defect investigation #PE07058 - instrument cluster failure: Electrical system: Instrument panel the NHTSA should re-open the NHTSA defect investigation #PE07058 because the car's reverse lights incorrectly turn on during this problem and seem to be related this issue. Ford's own technical service bulletins (tsb #0662 and tsb #06179) even state that the reverse lights are part of the problem. We have seen this problem first hand. My Ford 2005 Freestyle is experiencing the instrument cluster failure problem researched in NHTSA defect investigation #PE07058 and causes the car's reverse lights to come on while car is driving forward or in park. We have witnessed the reverse lights come on while the car is in park and also when the car is driving forward. This is in contradiction to the defect investigation that said the exterior lights were not affected. Quote from #PE07058: "... Ford states, "the vehicle's exterior lighting would not fail to illuminate even in the event of power interruption to the cluster because the exterior lights are powered separately and do not rely on any signal from the cluster."additionally, ODI contacted complainants who affirmed the intermittent condition and that none of the exterior lights on the subject vehicles would be affected by power interruptions to the instrument cluster. Here are Ford's technical service bulletins that contradict your research findings: Tsb #0662 -- intermittent instrument cluster gauge sweep/reset - multiple warning lights on - reverse lights on - vehicles built before 2/17/2006. (NHTSA id #10019951, January 01 2006) tsb #06179 -- intermittent instrument cluster operation - including gauges sweep/reset - multiple warning lights illuminated and/or reverse lights stay on. This applies to vehicles built before 02-17-06. (NHTSA id #10021037, no date provided).

- Hudson, MA, USA

Feb 242010

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle w/87,213 mi., purchased used with 87090 miles. Driving approx 40 mph, slowing to stop, put turn signals on, no turn signals. Noticed check transmission & air bag lamps lit. Pulled over, shut the engine off & took key out, speed still registering a speed of 40 mph. Cycled the car on & off 3 times & then the check engine light came on. In transit to dealer & the entire instrument panel lights, then sweeps thru all the warning lamps, the reverse gear taillights & the brake lights light, then the check engine lamp lights & no gauges register, incl speed!! dangerous!! this cycle repeated approx 3 times before check engine came on steady. Called dealer & told to put on hazard lights & bring car in asap. Was told today that the entire instrument panel must be replaced, but that this is no guarantee that the problem won't occur again. Weather at time of incident was dry, temps in upper 40's.

- Buda, TX, USA

Aug 242009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. After starting the vehicle, the entire instrument panel and headlights failed without warning. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle has not been inspected at this time. The failure mileage was 60,000. The current mileage was 63,000. Updated 01/05/10 updated 01/06/10.

- Wethersfiled , CT, USA

Jul 152009

Freestyle

The instrument panel flips on and off at random intervals causing the car to jump into "safe mode". if this occurs at high speed the car bucks and becomes uncontrollable until it slows down below 40mph. In a possible related issue the battery light continuously flickers on and off even with a brand new battery installed. The alternator appears to charge when ever it feel like it and not continuously. There are so many electrical issues in this car I will not let anyone in my family drive or ride in it. With on 64000 miles on the vehicle none of these problems should be occurring. I fear a major accident each day I get in and drive it work.

- Milford, MA, USA

Aug 012009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. She stated that the speedometer gauges failed intermittently as well as the dashboard, air conditioner, tail lights and RPM gauges. While driving approximately 25 mph she attempted to make a right turn into a garage and the turn signals failed to operate. Due to the failure a vehicle following her nearly crashed into her. She has reviewed the technical service bulletins and NHTSA action number: PE07058 investigation which was closed in 2008. The contact is aware of the safety risk and the possibility that a crash could occur. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were under 41,000.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 262009

Freestyle

I was driving the veh normal and all of a sudden the rmp jumps really high following this my veh shuts down, wrench light comes, and the fail safe engine mode displays. Also, when the veh is put in park and shut off, then back on again the light disappears, and everything appears normal. Today would be twice this has happened so after reading other reviews with same issue found out its throttle body that needs replaced. I will call dealer tomorrow to find out more, but why isn't this part on recall. Hope its covered under powertrain :(

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jul 172009

Freestyle

Instrument panel went dead.

- Newport, VT, USA

Apr 102009

Freestyle

The dashboard instrument panel fails regularly and all gauges (speed, gas, temp, etc.) fall to zero. The dashboard and other interior lights also do not work when this happens. At first, it happened intermittently and would work most of the time, but not all. Now, it happens regularly and I have driven several times without knowing my speed or fuel level. Sometimes the computer resets. At times, the gauges resume working within a minute, other times, they do not work for the entire drive, leaving me with no way of knowing my speed or fuel level and now way of seeing inside the car when it is dark. I did some research and found a tsb on the issue at Ford, but it is expensive to fix and really is a safety issue that should be covered because of the lack of knowing the speed and fuel levels. I brought it in yesterday and it will cost $750 to fix.

- Upton, MA, USA