2005 Ford Freestyle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Oct 092016

Freestyle

While driving car at night lights on dashboard and instrument panel went out, ABS light came on, headlights went out but backup lights came on while car was in drive. Turn signals did not work and radio went out. Car eventually lost all power.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Dec 282015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle lost power, stalled, and the air bag indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 197,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jul 192016

Freestyle

I just bought my vehicle and started noticing some issues with the car racing/idling fast. Several times it would lung forward while driving and while foot was on brake almost hitting a car, then stalled & reduced speed and wouldn't accelerate. The wrench light came on. Took it too oreillys and found it is the throttle and throttle sensor. This is a serious issue and dangerous. I want it fixed by Ford asap!

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Jun 182016

Freestyle

When I turn on the ac in my vehicle the vehicle starts to lunge all of a sudden and I can be at a complete stop and it does it. Also when I have my ac on my truck just turns off and it is scary because there is no warning it just turns off. I have two children and this is very scary to go through. Please help me in trying to resolve this problem so that I do not have to go through this and cause an accident. Also there is no way I can be driving without my ac with these three digit weather climates.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 092016

Freestyle

Recently purchased my car through an independent dealer. Started to accelerate when in park or when reversing. Battery light comes on and goes off randomly. If I cut it off and turn it on it goes away. Car jumps (accelerates) during driving. It does it all the time no matter where I am driving. Run system diagnostic on steering wheel and everything comes back okay. Purchased car for a family car and upset that this is a persistent problem with this model.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 042016

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The instrument panel illuminated intermittently. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were unknown.

- Kennett, PA, USA

Nov 032015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lost power. In addition, the instrument panel stopped working and all the warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator and battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Fayette, ME, USA

Jan 022016

Freestyle

While driving, my 05 Ford Freestyle AWD limited the air & radio turn off, along with all of the lights on the dash, all gauges bottom out & the turn signal does not work. This lasts for about 30-45 repeatedly, in quick succession. You cannot signal a turn or know speed when this occurs which is a safety issue. The battery and check engine light come on & sometimes it reads check charging system. This happens on local streets and highway driving. I believe it coming from the instrument panel itself. I have seen this same complaint from many others has I research the issue on the internet. I'm not aware of any recall, even though Ford is well aware of this safety condition. This started happening January 2016.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Dec 272015

Freestyle

The instrument panel won't work.. my reverse light stay on and I can't tell what the gauges are reading seeing as they wont work. The only light that illuminates is the air bag light on the panel. My radio lights work but nothing else. I can't tell what the speed limit is nothing. How can one drive a car with the reverse lights constantly on and no dash lights" this is a family car I'V only had it a year with about 73,000 miles on it. I just spent 4,000 to have my engine fixed 4 months ago! how can this car be safe" it started 12-27-15 and is still not working today. Motion the car was in motion extremely rainy for Ohio this time of year.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Nov 112015

• 1,000,000 miles
I got into the car to start it and the engine light was on, and I smelled smoke, the car was parked in my garage

- Streetsboro, OH, USA

Nov 082015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving 35 mph, all of the instrument panel lights failed to illuminate. The fuel, speedometer, and oil temperature gauges stopped working. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 131,596.

- Atco, NJ, USA

Sep 042015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the power steering failed. The vehicle was unable to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was left on the side of the road. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Amsterdam, OH, USA

Oct 282014

Freestyle

While driving, the instrument panel cluster stopped working correctly. The odometer was reading off the charts, but the engine seemed - at least sounded like it was - working just fine. This has happened in warm weather (we live in Utah) and cold. It doesn't seem to happen in only one temperature and happens frequently. We also experience issues with the interior panel lights not working, as well as, on occasion the exterior brights do not work. This happened to me during a rain storm and was extremely inconvenient. Another recent issue that has popped up is the AWD malfunction light appearing when nothing seems to be wrong. I had the car in park, and when I put it in reverse to pull into traffic, the light appeared. I was not going over 40 mph and it is August in Utah (not rainy, snowy or any kind of elements that you might have to drive in).

- Kamas , UT, USA

Apr 022014

Freestyle

We had problems with it revving up wanted to go forward when parking. We had the throttle body cleaned, helped for a little while.problems with the air conditioning had compressor replaced, then starting having electrical problems (failure safe mode engine would shut down) while driving. Had alternator replaced because all electrical starting shutting down and turning off while driving also transmisson was trying to go in reverse while driving reverse lights would come on very dangerous. Replaced body computer still didn't fix the problem to afraid to drive it. It was paid off but no one could fix the problems, how can you have a vehicle that no one can fix, we have been informed that Ford knew of these problems but would do nothing about them. Very disappointed we really liked the car when we got it.

- Jane Lew , WV, USA

Sep 052014

Freestyle

AWD malfunction light started coming on occasionally last fall. It is now on all the time. Talked to a mechanic and was told it was either a sensor or a wheel bearing. In the process of replacing the wheel bearing right now.

- Newaygo, MI, USA

Apr 042015

Freestyle 6-cyl

All gauges lost power for a few seconds and reset to left. Also lost lights on inside of vehicle did not effect outside lights has happened multiple times since first noticed.

- South Beloit , IL, USA

Nov 072014

Freestyle

While driving the wrench light and engine light came on. Lost all power to the accelerator pedal, refused to go above 2K roma. Turned car off and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Turned it back in and lights were still on and car wouldn't accelerate. Replaced the throttle body and the accelerator position sensor. Still giving the same codes and won't allow me to clear the codes. Previous issues with unexpected acceleration in the past. Now the battery won't hold a charge, the lights are coming on when they are all turned off and it seems the electrical system I'd going crazy. It's now February and I'm being told the throttle position sensor needs to be replaced. Since my throttle body had the cold weather system on it that means another throttle body replacement with no guarantee it will fix the issue. I can't drive the car at all. I can't back it out of its parking space without it stalling out and all the lights inside abd headlights flickering. There needs to be a recall. I've spent till much money to keep putting more into it when replacing the parts that have the code issues isn't working.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 012013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Where to begin.... the brakes are shot. Don't work at all. During the summer and fall the car will randomly go into "failsafe mode" and just stop. It has to be turned completely off for several minutes before attempting to turn back on and will generally do this up to 8 times before I just shut it off and leave it until the next day. During these months it will also get a mind of it's own and just leap forward. I have to stop 2 car lengths behind any car in front of me when I'm coming to a stop, otherwise it will lunge forward (even though I have my foot firmly applied on the brake) and hit the car in front of me. Oh, and will jump curbs, hit garage doors, all that good stuff too when it gets this surge. Then, during the winter months the door latch gets stuck and the car doors are literally frozen open. I can't drive anywhere with two small children and car doors that won't shut. Oh, and my vehicle wasn't included in the recall so I can't get it fixed. Oh and did I mention the brake system doesn't work" like won't hold brake fluid, air is all in the lines, and hardly no brakes. Have you ever tried driving with no brakes?" it sucks! and forget driving on the highway with my kids in this car. I don't trust it at all!!

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Dec 032014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Traveling on hwy at approx 60 mph, wrench light came on, "failsafe engine mode" message appeared and car powered down. Pulled over, turned car off, waited 1 min, restarted car. Message was cleared and car drove as normal. About 20 miles later, same problem, except check engine light and message appeared. Pulled over, turned off car, restarted. Check engine light and message remained. Very low power upon acceleration. Problem continued intermittently. Received engine code P2111, P2112 relating to throttle body problem. Etb had been cleaned 11/13 by dealer per technical service bulletin issued by Ford. No problems until 12/14. Service performed to reprogram etb, no cleaning was needed. Problem recurred 12/23/14. Check engine light is on and no power upon acceleration persists. Codes indicate etb needs to be replaced.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 122014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Own a 2005 Ford Freestyle, V6, 3.0, all wheel drive, limited edition. I started hearing loud grinding and knocking noises from the cvt transmission. The vehicle will start, and the rpms will increase and decrease uncontrollably. This is the reason the cvt transmission in these vehicles are going bad, malfunctioning, and breaking continuously. The rpms are delayed in the decreasing rpms process, which tells the computer to shift prematurely, or to quickly, causing any internal parts and external parts to be damaged. These vehicles are equipped with a computerized throttle positioning sensor that is attached to the actual throttle body. The computer is sending improper commands to the throttling position sensor, rpms, shifting delay and synchronized shifting sensors. This is putting too much of a load on the gears, bearings, clutches, and other parts pertaining to the functioning of the cvt transmission shifting and everyday use. Ford Motor Company (as stamped on the VIN and vehicle information sticker inside and on the driver side door jam of the vehicle) should have perfected and or recognized these issues during the manufacturing, testing, and or dino sessions. All vehicle designs are to be tested, diagnosed if any issues occur, and are to be fixed, redesigned, and replaced. Ford should take recognition to the customers and dealers that own these vehicles. People are purchasing these vehicles without the knowledge of possible failure and technical difficulties of these units. These issues can cause the vehicles, especially the vehicles that are all wheel drive, to lock up, brake, break, accelerate uncontrollably, and cause wrecks, fender benders, or more severe injuries, and even the lives of people of this great nation. The United States government will need to take action immediately, before Ford Motor Company vehicles kill, eliminate, and or decease people.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA