2005 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 042016

My Ford Freestyle has begun to surge in acceleration when after I am stopped with my foot on the brake, and then I let it off first to go, it surges ahead or backward, depending on forward or reverse with no pressure at all on the accelerator. Repeat, I do not put my foot on the accelerator, and it suddenly surges forward or backward with no warning, though I can hear the engine and as well as feel it once it surges. This is intermittent, and seems to occur when the ac is on. The mileage is 123,000, and it has happened about 5 times now, but it is intermittent. We were once in many situations: Stopped idling at a light when it was time to go, stopped in a drive thru lane when it was time to go, stopped in a parking lot briefly waiting for pedestrians, so basically stopped for at least a few moments---and once while reversing from a parking space. This is a major safety issue. Please reply asap to my email: I will be out of the country and will not be reachable by phone and all messages left on my cell phone will be long since deleted automatically before I would return to get them. Please let me know if there has been anything found on this, since I see a large number of other people on this site have been having problems for a lot of years. This last happened when we last drove the vehicle on September 4th 2016. We have not as yet tried to have this fixed.

- Columbus, MT, USA

Sep 012016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 40 mph, the check engine sensor light suddenly illuminated. In addition, the vehicle's speed reduced and would no longer accelerate while depressing the accelerator pedal. The contact indicated that the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Flossmoor, IL, USA

Aug 292016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving, the vehicle lunged forward on numerous occasions. The fail safe engine mode indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,147.

- Litchfield, OH, USA

Jul 192016

I just bought my vehicle and started noticing some issues with the car racing/idling fast. Several times it would lung forward while driving and while foot was on brake almost hitting a car, then stalled & reduced speed and wouldn't accelerate. The wrench light came on. Took it too oreillys and found it is the throttle and throttle sensor. This is a serious issue and dangerous. I want it fixed by Ford asap!

- Lawrence, KS, USA

May 012016

My engine lite came on I took it to O'reily to have it check out. They gave me thecodes to the throttle body. When I call Ford dealer they said that it was not under recall any more. I did not recieve a notice thatthis was a defect in the car. It idles in park when you are at the stop ;lite and when itgoes int reverse. If your footnot on the brake it moves. I have sent a letter to you about three weeks ago no response. Sent a letter to Ford no response.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Mar 102016

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving 65 mph, the check engine warning light and an unknown warning light randomly flashed. In addition, the transmission slipped gears and the engine idled roughly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 08/30/16 updated 09/07/16.

- Leslie, MI, USA

Jun 192016

Car surged when backing out of parking space then went into limp mode. Took to the shop and it needed the throttle body replaced. I see that has been an issue with this make/model for a lot of people. Looks like there was a corrective action taken but it expired 1 yr ago. Why did Ford not notify owners of this and why does a known problem have an expiration?

- Saugus, CA, USA

Jun 182016

When I turn on the ac in my vehicle the vehicle starts to lunge all of a sudden and I can be at a complete stop and it does it. Also when I have my ac on my truck just turns off and it is scary because there is no warning it just turns off. I have two children and this is very scary to go through. Please help me in trying to resolve this problem so that I do not have to go through this and cause an accident. Also there is no way I can be driving without my ac with these three digit weather climates.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 142016

I drove into a parking space, set for park. The car just shot forward and hit a wall. The engine riffed loud, for a few second. Could not redo the brakes. The wall was onle about 8 to 10 feet from me.the car was not in motion, because I just put it in park. It happen in a parkiong lot at cbs pharmacy. 1588 trancas street, Napa, ca 94558 on March 14 2016 at 5:30 pm.there should be a police report. I had to go to the hospital, to check my back, because I had just surgery 3 weeks before, febr. 22 2016. I never received a recall, and I do my service at Ford Lincoln dealer in Napa ca, soscol avn.I think there is a problem with the accelerator or "?"my right front end is damaged.filed claim with the insurance. I need this problem fixed.

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 172014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving at various slow speeds, the vehicle lunged forward while the service engine light was illuminated. The failure occurred randomly in the winter months. The contact also mentioned that the engine stalled shortly after the failure occurred. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Dec 182015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled, while driving at approximately 35 mph. The safe failure mode, the engine, and wrench warning lights illuminated while the failure occurred. The contact was able to restart the engine and resume to normal function. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Nov 112015

• 1,000,000 miles
I got into the car to start it and the engine light was on, and I smelled smoke, the car was parked in my garage

- Streetsboro, OH, USA

Aug 202015

1. driving car at 45mph..came to red light. When pushing a celerator to floor, car suddenly does not respond to pressure on gas pedal. Will not pick up speed. Notice check E gine on display panel and wrench symbol came on and words "engine in failsafe mode" display. 2. when standing still, engine yrunning... foot on brake. Engine begins to lunge forward, engine revs up when lunging. 3. during 90 degree weather, driving at 55 mph, turned on ac. Car immediately lost power and failsafe mode light came on.

- Genesee, MI, USA

May 182015

While driving down a 45 mph road, the car lost all power, no acceleration, there was a truck behind us that almost hit us. We were able to pull over, we turned off the car and started back up and continued driving. We took the car to mechanic and they diagnostically tested it and he said immediatley four codes pulled up pointing to the electronic throttle body. With research I found out that even if you did pay for a new throttle body or cleaning, it will happen again because the throttle body malfunctions on itself, in addition throttle body works hand in hand with the transmission, type cvr which is not made anymore do to its failures. Ford failed to recall this vehicle and its electronic engine etb on a car which Ford only manudactured for three years, I wonder why..... well we could have been seriously injured, thank god we weren`T, but the investigation on the etb should be reopened for safety issues.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 022014

We had problems with it revving up wanted to go forward when parking. We had the throttle body cleaned, helped for a little while.problems with the air conditioning had compressor replaced, then starting having electrical problems (failure safe mode engine would shut down) while driving. Had alternator replaced because all electrical starting shutting down and turning off while driving also transmisson was trying to go in reverse while driving reverse lights would come on very dangerous. Replaced body computer still didn't fix the problem to afraid to drive it. It was paid off but no one could fix the problems, how can you have a vehicle that no one can fix, we have been informed that Ford knew of these problems but would do nothing about them. Very disappointed we really liked the car when we got it.

- Jane Lew , WV, USA

Apr 272015

Freestyle 6-cyl

Kept having issues starting the vehicle along with while driving on the high way not being able to get up to the speed needed. Took it too beechmont Ford in Ohio today and because check engine light would come on then go off. When I spoke to somebody I was told $100 for an hour to diagnose then I was told they needed two more hours. I finally get a call and they say I might need an entire new engine ! how is that possible with not even 69 thousand miles on it: I just purchased the car in August ! how can these cars be out there with such problems? a new engine! all because of code PS305 and ps 316. Not to mention everytime I asked about the recalls being taken care of on my car I never was give an answer clearly.

- Amelia , OH, USA

Mar 242015

Vehicle lunges forward when driver's foot has the brake pressed while pulling into a parking space prior to shifting into park.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated after the check engine and fail safe mode lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the diagnostic was unknown. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jun 012013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Where to begin.... the brakes are shot. Don't work at all. During the summer and fall the car will randomly go into "failsafe mode" and just stop. It has to be turned completely off for several minutes before attempting to turn back on and will generally do this up to 8 times before I just shut it off and leave it until the next day. During these months it will also get a mind of it's own and just leap forward. I have to stop 2 car lengths behind any car in front of me when I'm coming to a stop, otherwise it will lunge forward (even though I have my foot firmly applied on the brake) and hit the car in front of me. Oh, and will jump curbs, hit garage doors, all that good stuff too when it gets this surge. Then, during the winter months the door latch gets stuck and the car doors are literally frozen open. I can't drive anywhere with two small children and car doors that won't shut. Oh, and my vehicle wasn't included in the recall so I can't get it fixed. Oh and did I mention the brake system doesn't work" like won't hold brake fluid, air is all in the lines, and hardly no brakes. Have you ever tried driving with no brakes?" it sucks! and forget driving on the highway with my kids in this car. I don't trust it at all!!

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Jan 292015

Throttle body stuck closed, forcing limp home mode - stall in middle of highway, Ford recall 12N03 did not work - after idling, there is a power surge which lunges vehicle forward while in drive at a stop sign, happened directly after service.

- Honesdale, PA, USA