7.0

2. replaced throttle body (1 reports)
2005 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Nov 072012

Freestyle SE 3.0L

I had the same problem a month ago..the light in the engine showing a wrench went off. I could not drive the car because there was no power. It felt like the transmission slipped. The mechanice checked it out and said it was the throttle case. He was going to clean it up and hopefully that's all it needed.

It happened again when I was driving on the highway to work. The light went on the car did a quick jerk and I lost power was not able to run the car when I pressed on the gas. I had to coast off to the shoulder which was dangerous because of the busy highway I was on.

I had to get towed back to the mechanic and a new throttle case was ordered which was very expensive and I lost a day of work because of it. The mechanic told me he had to replace a few already in some Fords and it was an part to replace.

Hopefully Ford will recall for this reason so I can be reimbursed for this problem

- , Saylorsburg, PA, USA

May 222012

Freestyle Limited Awd

• CVT transmission

Over a year ago, I enlisted a local Ford dealership to help me mount a front license plate on my car, you see - when I acquired it (new) at a Ford dealership in LaGrande Oregon, I was told my front plate wasn't necessary to display. Okay, they were wrong! I was stopped and cited by local police in Salem, stating it had to be mounted. The easiest was was to go to a dealership. Yes, they charged me. At that time, I had them change my oil. A few months after they assisted me, and exactly at (I believe 120,000 miles - not 125,000), the check engine light came on. I was afraid to drive the car. I was sure it was the transmission - so I drove it to a local AAMCO. They confirmed that my transmission was fine, but that the car was saying something may be wrong with "sensors" for acceleration. I could drive my car, but every now and then, the car would drive sluggish (because of the check engine light - it would disable my ability to accelerate). Now, why at exactly 120,000 would my car start to have engine light issues if it weren't pre-destined to have issues!

Arghhhhh - My mechanic doesn't want to replace the sensors (which are at the point of acceleration - and in the engine), because he feels the car would need to be calibrated after the fact - and only Ford could do that. The fix isn't simple, it's costly. And for what, 2 sensors that may or may not be working properly? And they don't sell you just sensors, they sell you a new gas pedal, and other garbage (so they can charge you more!) Needless to say - I let the car sit for 6 months while I drove my husband Ford F350 (with issues of it's own) when his truck got to the point where I didn't drive it, because it was acting odd (4 wheel drive engaging and not wanting to un-engage - a cool $750 fix) I crawled back into my freestyle. Lo and behold (knock on wood and say a prayer) My check engine lights are not longer flashing (very strange). I hadn't had them fixed because of the aggravation of it all. But now my back brakes need to be replaced (AGAIN). I have never really been happy with the car because of early on problems - especially the one that Ford lied about MPG. I average about 5 miles less than what was advertised. I think that's criminal they can get away with lying to the public about their vehicles. After we have to junk the 2 vehicles we own - I will never own another Ford.

- , Salem, OR, USA

Aug 152010

Freestyle Limited

• CVT transmission

After only owning our Freestyle for 8 months we started having problems with the check engine light coming on for no apparent reason. We took it to our mechanic who said we needed to take it to a Ford Dealership to have a "reflash" done. This was a total waste of time and money. The dealership tried to tell us we needed a new transmission and it would be over $9,000 to fix it. We decided to just take our chances and left with the vehicle. To this day we still do not have any idea why the check engine light was coming on and it has only done it 3 times since. But we have had a TON of other issues with the vehicle.

- , Clarinda, Iowa, USA

Apr 292009

Freestyle 3.0L V6

• CVT transmission

This vehicle has been a disaster from the start. Starting with the brakes right off the lot new. Then there was recall on brakes. Backing out of the garage after sitting for the weekend the brakes grind. Then the R/R shock assembly had to be replaced, recall on gas tank straps, service engine light on last Feb when all gauges and speedometer stopped working. Now service engine light is on again. Also, the rubber bushings at each end of the rear sway bar are shot and the entire sway bar has to be replaced. The sticker on the side window says: Quality is job 1----That's a joke. And I am supposed by another product mfg by one of the big three-------I don't think so.

- , Westbrook, Maine, USA