8.6

2. replace throttle body (9 reports)
2005 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Apr 282012

Freestyle SE 3.2L V6

Turned on the car with my foot on the brake. If the car is in reverse or drive it will lunge forward causing me to slam on the brakes. When I do this, the car will either die completely or it will go drive in snail mode, and the wrench light on the dash will come on. I can have it floored and the car will only go 5 mph. If I do get speed and take my foot off the gas, the car will lug down jerking the car in the process. Oh yeah, don't let me turn the air on or turn the wheel slightly then it really start lunging. I will never ever-ever-ever buy another Ford product. This is the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. This is a very serious issue and they still wont recall the car to fix the issue. I know that Ford is aware of this safety issue after more that a couple of year of complaints. You still need to investigate the problem for how many years now? I will never buy another Ford Product. .

- , Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Aug 282012

Freestyle 3.0L

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle that has now started to lunge forward on its own ,while I have the brake applied. Today it almost caused me to jump into cross traffic and scared me to death. I no longer trust driving this car nor transporting my Grandchildren,or my family anywhere. I am a senior citizen, as is my husband. This problem , we called a Ford Dealer and they said they have never heard of this problem, well now they have and they should notify FORD of this!!!!! I will not let this go, and heaven forbid someone dies because of this!!!!!! TICKED OFF IN MONTANA!!!! And remember Ford, it snows here and gets icy, if this happens in the winter, Lord only knows what will happen!!!!

- , Culbertson, MT, USA

Oct 152011

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle SE: Constant problems starting car, wouldn't start when it did start smelly smoke came out of the tail pipe. Took 5 days for the repair shop to find out out the problem was. They replaced a leaky gasket , and an O ring thinking that was the problem. Once that was fixed car wouldn' t run correctly. Kept slipping gears. After a bunch of diagnostic test they said it was the Throttle body. They went on the Ford web site and say that it was a known problem. The part was $600. Plus labor and a rental car for 5 days cost over $1500.

Why ford did not recall this known problem is pretty pathetic.

- , Concord, NH, USA

Jun 162010

Freestyle SE

• CVT transmission

The car is surging forward when stationary and brake is depressed. This is absolutely ridiculous. The car had less than 50,000 miles on it and we had to have the throttle body, etc replaced. Dealer did take some off because of the low mileage, but that was still $800 we couldn't afford. I had to borrow money from my sister, which I do NOT like to do.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 292011

Freestyle AWD 3.0L Litre V6

• CVT transmission

Was downtown Chicago leaving a parking spot, car lunged in reverse, almost hit car behind me. Took twice as long to get home due to car lurching, or not responding to acceleration. Took it to local Ford dealership and they have diagnosed issue and replacement part is on the way. My only concern is that there are several horror stories about this issue on the Internet. When are they going to recall and fix this issue!

- , Cary, IL, USA

Aug 182010

Freestyle LE 3.0L V6

• CVT transmission

Car suddenly lurched forward while I was STOPPED, with the brake on, in the school car rider line. About 20 incidents in the past year of the car subtly surging/accelerating while in reverse, usually when backing out of a parking space, only stopping when brakes pushed VERY hard. About 2 incidents of the engine revving (w/o acceleration) while cruising at 45-55 mph; but went away quickly. No stalling or having to go into Fail Safe mode, but after researching this issue on the internet I suspect it will happen soon.

All of these incidents have happened over the past year but I'm pretty sure they started earlier; they have definitely increased this summer (2010). The problem was just so occasional and subtle that I wasn't sure whether it was really happening or I was imagining it (cars don't drive themselves, right?). Plus it's difficult to tell the car is accelerating when you're already braking. However this last incident (sudden lunging FORWARD) was definitely not my imagination.

I will take it to the Ford dealer and suspect it will be diagnosed as needing a new Throttle Body (like everyone else), which is an expensive fix plus a long wait because the part appears to be on national backorder. I will also report it to Ford Customer Care and file an online complaint w/ the NHTSA. Hope this report helps to fuel a recall of what I believe is a big safety issue. I am scared to drive my own car now. What if it lunges into a busy highway when I'm at a stop sign??

- , Monroe, NC, USA

Aug 152010

Freestyle 3.0L

Turned on the car with my foot on the brake. If the car is in reverse or drive it will lunge forward causing me to slam on the brakes. When I do this, the car will either die completely or it will go nowhere, and the wrench light on the dash will come on. I can have it floored and the car will only go 5 mph. If I do get speed and take my foot off the gas, the car will lug down jerking the car in the process.

- , Clarkston, WA, USA

Jul 232010

Freestyle V6

Freestyle is jerking and trying to take off when first putting in drive or reverse. Then when trying to take off, it has very little acceleration. Car currently has 79,000 miles, but this same thing occurred when car had less than 36,000 miles. We were on vacation and had problem fixed by a dealer in Gulf Shores, Alabama (under warranty). If this part needs to be replaced every 30-40K miles, it should be recalled! I asked Ford about a recall and, of course, they said we don't see this problem too often. Maybe they should read some complaint forums!

- , Burlington, KY, USA

Oct 072009

Freestyle Limited

AS OTHER OWNERS OF A FORD FREESTYLE 2005 WITH THE PROBLEM OF THE THROTTLE BODY THE CAR IS IN THE DEALER AND THEY SAID IT WONT BE AVAILABLE TILL DECEMBER 09. IM STILL PAYING THE CAR AND THEY CANNOT GIVE ME A RENT CAR BECAUSE IS NOT IN GUARANTEE. I HAVE A EXTEND GUARANTEE AND IT DOESN'T COVER THAT PART. ISN'T THE FORD RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF US WITH THIS PROBLEM AT LEAST THEY SHOULD GIVE US A CAR SO THAT WE CAN MOVE IN OUR DAILY LIVING. COULD WE LOOK FOR A LAWYER AND PLACE A DEMAND TO FORD?

- , Toa Baja, PR, Puerto Rico

Sep 022009

Freestyle Limited V6

• CVT transmission

First off the car started to jerk while reversing. It stalled in the middle of road about 3 or 4 times. I took it in to get fixed and Ford said it is the throttle body and they don't have a manufacture company that makes this part. So Ford said it wont be fixed until JAN 2010. Then to boot, they're giving me a hard time to get a rental. I'm ready to call my state attorney.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jun 052009

Freestyle Limited 3.0L V6

The Throttle Position Sensor has died on our ride. Ford cannot locate the part because the manufacturer of part is bankrupt. This is very frustrating, but understandable. It is now the middle of October and we have not been able to drive this car since June! Ford needs to rename their "customer cares" department to "customer ignore" department. The customer ignore person assigned to our case has not returned one of our 10 phone calls since August 20. We are trying to get Ford to provide us a car to use until the part becomes available and we can get the problem fixed, but they are not the least bit interested in helping us out with a loaner car. We were told there is a waiting list of 1,500 for this part and we are somewhere on the list. If there are that many Freestyle's across the country not roadworthy, should there be some sort of a recall to fix this problem?

If and when this problem gets repaired, the FOR SALE sign goes on the car and we will NEVER purchase a Ford again!

By the way, a nice 2005 Ford Freestyle is for sale in Colorado! Photos available.

- , Avon, CO, USA

Jul 282009

Freestyle 4 Door 3.0V6

this car was bought for my wife, she does not beat on her cars, but in july she called me on the phone and told me what had just happened with the car, she said when she put it in reverse the car jerked , and acted like it was drahhing, she stopped put it in drive and the car would not move, she then shut the car off , started it again, then she put it back in reverse , the car seemed to drag a bit she then put it in drive and the car drove forward, we had taken it to the dealer we purchased the car from, they had the car for a week, they called me and said it was water in the box , ??? what ever the box is, we got the car back, we had taken a ride to the beach for the day, as i don't get out very much , because of having terminal brain cancer, the ford dealer loaned us a ford focus, this was great, except i couldn't get my wheel chair in this car, they swapped it out and gave us a ford Taurus which was nice of them , but both my wife and myself are disabled and i have a hard time lifting the chair in the trunk, and my wife cant lift the chair at all. I have contacted ford motor co, and told them i want them to take this car back and replace it , this is a very serious problem with this car, ford motor doesn't have any of these parts in stock any where, the company that made the part for ford has long gone out of business now they are trying to find someone to make the part and, and i doubt whether this part is going to be wright, or is it going to be a used part that was cleaned up and put in my car hopping that it wiil last until my extended warranty expires

- , Lowell, MA, USA

Jul 132009

Freestyle 4 Door 3.0V6

I have contacteed ford Motor co. numerious times, they dont expec to see the part until Sept. 30 if then, they said they will call to let me know what the status is on the situation other than that they are sitting back and sucking down Martini's at the consumers expense, thay build cars and cant supply the parts to fix them. i have terminal brain cancer and i am counting days now, i am hoping that ford has a heart and gives us another car that is safe and dependable, , i want to thakn you for listening to my complaint

- , Lowell, MA, USA

Aug 152009

Freestyle LX V6

I was in the middle of down town Chicago and my car died and went into safety mode.

The yellow wrench came on and I could not drive any faster than 40mph.

Took it in and they told me it was the (I don't know the right name) part that controlled the speed. My main complaint is it has been two weeks and no part! They are not making the part until Dec. They are calling other dealerships but no luck. How can they not have parts. My dealership has given me a car and has been great.

Come on Ford get your people to work and make the parts!

- , LaSalle, IL, USA

Aug 242009

Freestyle SE V6

• CVT transmission

From the time the car was still almost new it had this hint of a problem. It would feel like it was trying to take off on its own when put into gear. Because it happened with foot on the brake it didn't seem like much. I still would mention it to the dealer in the hope that if it turned out to be something I would be covered. Well it slowly and progressivley got worse but by the time it was happening enough that the shop could also feel it, the car was out of warranty. No way would they fix it free then. So now here I am with 50k irritating and sometimes borderline unsafe miles on the clock and guess what? Now they can see it is the throttle body.

- , Portland, TX, USA

Aug 052009

Freestyle V6

This originally started about 3 months ago on my way back from Mo. My car kept lunging foreword or backward when I was in a stopped position & either put it in drive or reverse, it would then do a lunge without me even putting my foot on the gas. It was intermittent so I was not sure if it was my imagination or it was really happening. I know my car pretty well so it felt wrong. Last night I was driving on the freeway and my car started to buck and when I pushed on the gas it would feel like the gas was either not getting to my engine or it would feel like it was really pushing threw my engine without my foot on the gas. My yellow wrench lite came on so I knew something was really wrong. I took it to my Ford dealership the next morning and they said it was a throttle body problem and that it needed a $300 to $500 part that they could not get for a couple of months since it was on backorder. Steve in the service department then told me they could take it apart and clean it & reset the computer and it would cost me approx. $400 but that may help but may not fix the problem. I asked him if there were any recalls on it because it was a dangerous situation but he said no, not at this time.

- , Indio, CA, USA

Aug 132008

Freestyle 3.0L V6

• CVT transmission

Two days after getting my car back I'm still having the same problem with my car going into a sudden burst of the rpm's then shutting off and going into failsafe mode....

- , Austin, TX, USA

Aug 082008

Freestyle 3.0L V6

• CVT transmission

Was sitting at a red light when all of a sudden my car's rpm's shot up pushing the car forward then shutting off. Turn the car back on and it went into "failsafe mode" which makes it feel like you only have second gear....Brought it into the Ford dealership at which time they told me it was the throttle body and the part would be available in three days. Three days later I get a call saying the part would not be in for a month or longer because of a national back order. Was told the car was safe to drive then two days later the same thing happened.......The only good thing Ford has done was pay for the majority of the part, but trying to get them to give me a rental car has been a hassle.The car is obviously dangerous to drive and they never should have let me drive it out of the shop...Now what? Hopefully they come through with a rental....I've seen quite a few posts online about this same problem happening with other 05 Freestyles all of which seemed to have happened around the 36000-38000 mile mark....just after your warranty expires.

- , Austin, TX, USA