2005 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 8 of 29)

Jun 182012

Vehicle surges without pressing accelerator while idling and driving at low speeds such as taking off from stop signs, parking or backing. It is worse when air conditioner is operating. While parked and idling with A/C on, rpms increase (nearly double) when A/C coompressor clutch engages. The service engine soon light is not on while the condition exists. I have not contacted the Ford dealership, however I do plan on it tomorrow to see if they know of a proper repair.

- East Peoria, IL, USA

Jun 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl Diesel

1st occurrence was in a parking lot. Started car, had foot on brake, removed foot from brake and car surged backward. Quickly applied brake. 2nd occurrence, again in a parking lot, a few days later. This time put car into drive and it surged forward 3 - 4 times in a row. Had to quickly apply the break each time and when I would release the brake it would surge again. 3rd occurrence in fast food drive through. Each time I would advance in line the car would surge and I had to quickly apply the brake. Also have noticed slight surging at interstate speeds. Have had this problem since the car was at 20,000 miles or less. Can observe the speedometer fluctuating while cruise is set or when foot is on accelerator.

- Boonville, MO, USA

Jun 132012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lost power at 35-40 mph for just a few seconds. Many instances of lunging in forward and reverse. Frightening to drive in parking lots.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jun 122012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle and shifting into the drive position, the vehicle lunged forward. The contact stated that the safety control and check engine warning illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 127,000.

- Manteo, NC, USA

Jun 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact was reversing when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and it was determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred two years later. The vehicle was returned to the dealer and again, it was advised to the contact that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 64,223 and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 242011

Freestyle 6-cyl

First incident - hot July day, 2011; idling in traffic with the air conditioning on; car lunged forward a few times; aggressively applied the brakes and the car stalled each time. Subsequent incidents - all similar. Air conditioner on; proceeding slowly out of a parking spot when the car lunges forward. Have not sought service as many blogs indicate the problem has not been properly diagnosed.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

May 262012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car was surging and lurching forward even when the brake was engaged. We had near misses running in to cars in front of us just trying to get it to a safe location as we were stuck in a parking lot and in stop and go traffic. While on the interstate is would just loose almost all power even though the accelerator was floored.

- Columbia, MO, USA

May 012010

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle. About 2 years ago it started lurching/lunging in forward and reverse. It only happens when you run the ac. If your foot is on the brake the motor races and when you take your foot off of the brake it lurches. We thought it was our transmission and put a new transmission in, and of course that was not the problem. We have spent a lot of money trying to fix this problem with no results. Evidently most everyone that owns this car is having the same problem. Ford needs to man up and fix this problem it is obvious that there is a problem with the parts that Ford put on the car and they should be responsible for fixing it. I am so tired of dealing with this problem. I hit a car in the drive thru of a fast food restaurant. Luckily the car I hit already had a torn up bumper or that would have been one more expense I would have been stuck with. Fix this problem Ford!!!!!!

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

May 232012

Freestyle 6-cyl

After quickly crossing traffic and entering my driveway (which is on a downward slope) I released the gas on entering my driveway and applied the brake. Just before applying the brake the vehicle lurched. It didn't lurch far, but enough for me to rapidly depress the brake pedal in surprise. One item of note--the low fuel indicator was on and my next stop was to get gas.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Apr 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While stopped at drive thru window, vehicle lunged forward approximately 3 feet, has happened on various occasions.

- Westland, MI, USA

Apr 122012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford freestar. The contact was driving 5 mph when he noticed that the vehicle had began to accelerate independently and without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- New River , AZ, USA

Jul 252009

When completely idle, still in drive, foot on the brake, RPM's surge and car lurches forward 2-3 times before dying and indicating "fail safe engine mode" on info panel. Seems to happen when it's hot outside (in Texas is often) and A/C on max. This is dangerous when going through pick up line at my kids school or at a light in traffic because I could hit another car or a child if my foot is not firmly pressing the brake down as the surge starts. Can only be fixed at dealership and quoted around $900.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Nov 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

When put into reverse or drive from park, my 2005 Ford Freestyle will lunge uncontrollably. This is not something that happens everytime, but happens often enough to pose a safety risk to others and those in the car.

- Driggs, ID, USA

Jun 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lunges when coming to a stop and sometimes even after you have stopped, it lunges forward or back such as when trying to park or reverse from parking. The lunging starts happen when it is hot outside, summer months, and always if the air conditioner is on. The lunging started off small in the beginning, now its at a point that it stalls my car. I have almost run into someone while I was backing up because the car lunged even with my foot on the break. I feel incredibly unsafe driving in the summer months, I am afraid to turn on the air conditioner, because the lunging happens immediately. Lunging has increased from 2009 to present.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward while driving at low speeds. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 06/05/12 the consumer also stated that the car will accelerate when stopped and when put in reverse after being stopped. Updated 06/06/12

- Auburn, CA, USA

Feb 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Scary car. A couple of times when car is idle/foot on brake the car would surge forward on its own. This is creepy. First time happened when parking in front of a wall. Luckily, I had enough room to not hit the front. I just came home and rolled into parking space. My foot was still on the brake but out of nowhere it just went by itself so my natural response was to brake really hard. It slowed the surging, but dang it! it scared the begezzy out of me. If I wasn't alert, I think that wall would damage the front car...let alone hit someone(s) if they are in front of this idle car. Second time when my husband rolled into the mall's parking space and it did it too. I sat next to him and it was just freaky weird. It happened 3 other times also. Ford better recall on this problem seeing how many complaints are posted online already. I had to look it up online and found a major car magazine stated it was a major problem. If they don't do anything about this, I think I will have to switch to another car maker. This Ford Freestyle 2005 AWD limited is a scary car.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Apr 172012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Sudden acceleration while parking or maneuvering at low speeds. Foot is on the brake lightly and vehicle will lunge forward as if the accelerator was depressed but it wasn't. car under control with applied break but could cause accident if late applying break.

- Myakka City, FL, USA

Apr 102012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while sitting in a drive-thru window, the vehicle lunged forward as the engine rpms increased excessively. In addition, the check engine wasrning lamp was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 123,000.

- Jarrettsville, MD, USA

Apr 022008

Freestyle 6-cyl

In 2008 my Ford Freestyle started lunging forward at very low speeds when in gear without either the brake or accelerator pedal applied. If I applied the brakes, it stopped the car right away, but if I was sitting with the vehicle in drive or reverse and didn't have my foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle would suddenly lunge - and the only way to stop it was to slam on the brakes. I am just luckily we never hit anyone. It seemed to happen after it rained. A local (non Ford) mechanic stated that he believed the ECM was getting wet and corrosion was causing this problem. After he addressed the problem (he cleaned and tightened pins, sealed with terminal sealer/corrosion inhibitor), the problem completely stopped. Now, 4 years later, it's doing it again. But that mechanic is no longer in business and I am worried that this is a chronic (and scary) problem that needs to be addressed. This morning my vehicle lunged suddenly backwards out of my driveway, right into the sidewalk where children were passing. I had stopped my car, let up the brake and it lunged. No one was hurt but I no longer feel comfortable driving it. I hope that you can investigate this problem and provide me with an update (and a solution!). we love the vehicle otherwise.

- Key West, FL, USA

May 192011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While traveling 5-10 mph with the air conditioning system functioning, the contact noticed that the vehicle would abnormally accelerate without warning. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The current and the failure mileages were 130,000. The VIN was not available.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA