2005 Ford Freestyle miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 152011

Freestyle

Car lunges when stopped and/or stalls while in motion (up to 30mph). Appears to occur more frequently in hot and humid weather. Engine light came on and dealership stated throttle body needed to be replaced. Researched online and numerous of other Freestyle (and Mercury) owners listed this issue. Why isn't this part recalled" because no serious injuries or deaths have yet occurred"

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 252011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car lunges forward when stopped at a light (brake is applied) or driving slow in the parking lot. It happens unexpectedly and lunges forward as if the accelator is being pushed quickly, even though my foot is on the brake to either be stopped or to slow down in a parking lot. I typically press the brake very hard to try to get control of the car to avoid hitting anything in front of me. It does concern me that I if it occurs, that I could hit the car in front of me at a light or possible a person walking through a parking lot. When driving home the other day (45 - 50 mph), my check charging system light also came on. I took it to the Ford dealer. I explained to them the problem I had with the car lunging and the charging system light coming on. They checked it out and told me the car needed a new alternator and that this would fix the lunging issue and the charging system light issue. They put the new alternator in (which was not cheap) and I noticed on the way home that the car was still lunging. I was driving the following Sunday morning and noticed the car continued to lunge when stoppled at a light. Also, when I stopped at my mailbox the engine shut off and the charging system, engine oil, and emission control lights are coming on. Needless to say the car is going back to the Ford dealership Monday morning.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Aug 272011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While at idle in reverse or forward car lunges and accelerates on its own if foot is not on brake 1this could cause serious accident or injury ive seen more complaints on this sight and relize that this is becoming a seriuos problem with these vehicles what can be about this problem.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Aug 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford Freestyle, lunges all the time. It makes it very difficult to parallel park. I have not had an accident, but I have been very close to hitting other parked cars. I lunges when my foot is on the brake if it's in reverse it lunges backwards. If it's in drive it lunges forward. This has been happening for a long time, my car is a 2005. It's been happening for at least the last 2 years.

- Reno, NV, USA

Aug 232011

Freestyle

When you put the car into reverse or drive and sometimes when sitting at a light the car will lurch several feet with out putting my foot on the acelerator

- Henderson, NV, USA

Aug 192010

Freestyle

The vehicle lunges at low speeds. This act happens at random times and has occurred on numerous occasions.

- Jonesborough, TN, USA

Aug 092011

Freestyle

Vehicle is surging at low speeds. Parking lot speeds. Must apply brakes to stop motion. Several feet covered before able to apply brakes. Happened in excess of 10 times. Car is at dealer now and they have witnessed to surging. Car has been taken to Ford service now and they have had it for 24 hours. They are stating they do not know the cause.

- Windsor, CO, USA

Jul 082011

Freestyle

Vehicle lunges forwards or speeds up while slowing down (at stop signs, going into garage etc)

- Union, MS, USA

Aug 062011

Freestyle

My 2005 Ford Freestyle crossover frequently lunges at low speeds and when the driver is not pressing the accelerator pedal. This problem seems to be occuring more often and with more power and is getting harder to stop. Today it almost jumped over a parking lot curb at a retail store parking lot. It happens unexpectantly in forward and reverse and seams to be worse when the A/C is on. In fact, our A/C was not working properly and the problem was not near as bad. However, when the A/C was repaired (the expansion valves were replaced) the problem returned to its previous "strength" or stronger and more often.

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle is lunging...very dangerous!! I've heard multiple other customers have the same problem and Ford has not issued a recall on this problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 282011

Freestyle

With the car in drive and my foot on the brake pedal, the car unexpectedly "surged" forward. I was able to control the car from hitting anyone/anything by applying the brake more forcefully, but this incident has occurred on repeated occasions now both in "drive" (when the car surges forward) and in "reverse" (when the car surges backwards). It seems particularly pronounced during hot days when the ac is running full blast. In each incident, I was traveling 5 mph or less, and had my foot on the brake, either preparing to park or pulling out of a parking spot. So far it has not caused an accident, but there is clearly something wrong with the speed control or the transmission. I have noticed numerous other complaints of a similar nature made online by other owners of 2005 and 2006 Ford Freestyles. There clearly seems to be a problem with the vehicle of this year, make and model and I am hoping Ford will take responsibility and issue a recall in order to prevent future potential injury or death.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Jul 222011

Freestyle

While backing out of a parking space, my vehicle "jumped" forward by itself. It then went into "engine override mode" and stalled. I was able to crank the vehicle back up and continue driving.

- Marianna, AR, USA

Jul 202011

Freestyle

I own a 2005 Ford Freestyle with 88,000 miles and I had trouble with my car lunging forward this happen to me very bad today where trying to leave a parking space. I did have my air conditioning on high because it was 100 degrees in the midwest. The problem was the worst today since it started several months ago and my throttle control/transmission light came on. What do I do next" I need to get the vehicle fixed. Do I need to contact Ford? do I go ahead and pay to have it fixed" thanks so much.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jun 282011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Without warning, when my 2005 Ford Freestyle is in drive or reverse, it surges and I have to be ready to brake or crash into something. Following the surge, the orange wrench light comes on and I have to shut the car off and restart it, and then it will go away. I took it to the dealer and they said they have not had any other complaints like mine. They scanned the car at the dealership, but there were no codes. They advised that unless I can make the surge happen, not to leave the car.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 132011

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle - when first putting my car into gear, either forward or reverse, the car lunges or "revs" up as if it is going to take off. Placing my foot on the brake or having the air conditioner off or on low seems to help somewhat. In at least one incident, the car has gone into an "engine safe mode" and has stopped completely. Luckily, I was in a not so crowded parking lot at the time. We recently had to have the air conditioner replaced in its entirety which has made the problem worse and more frequent.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Jul 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle limited and the car lunges when going into drive or reverse. The problem seems worse when the ac is on.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Jul 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Freestyle periodically lunges when driving at low speeds, usually when I slow down to stop or put the car in reverse. I have experienced this problem a few times over the past couple years, but it seems like it is happening more frequently. I am unsure if running my airconditioning has caused the increased lunging, but it has been happening multiple times over the past few days. I have not contacted Ford yet, but I've noticed many reports of the same problem online. I really think that Ford should put out a notice to fix this problem that could lead to a crash or even a death.

- Crestwood, IL, USA

Jun 102011

Freestyle

While attempting to parallel park, my 2005 Ford Freestyle, accelerated on its own and almost caused me to collide with the car behind me. I have had over 10 incidents where my car has accelerated on its own. Today when it happened the car ended up stalling and the check engine light came on. This has become a safety issue and seems to be happening more frequently. I will contact my local Ford dealer to see what what steps Ford is taking to resolve this issue.

- Alma, MI, USA

Jul 152010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The Freestyle sudden-acceleration incidents occur when the vehicle is either idling or traveling at a low speed.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Jul 042010

Freestyle

As I was preparing to turn, the car surged forward continuously. I pressed the brake as hard as possible and the surge continued, which was dangerous, as I almost hit a pedestrian. I put it in park and the surge continued, as it did after I put it back in drive to get the beast into the parking garage. It was determined to be a failed throttle body, which was replaced on July 7, 2010 at a cost of $821.33 by crown Ford, nashville tn.

- Nashville, TN, USA