2005 Ford Freestyle miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 122016

Freestyle

Car is lunging forward and backwards

- Bryan, TX, USA

Aug 042016

Freestyle

If we change gears with the A/C on the car lunges when we're trying to come to a stop. It lunges as we're parking or pulling up to a stop sign or stop light. After stopping it will continue to lunge without warning if it is in drive...it will even lunge as we try to shift to park. We are afraid we will hit someone walking in a cross walk or hit the car in front of us while parking. During lunging you can hear the engine rev louder. Lunges while stopping and while being stopped. This has been happening for several years. I've read other posts with people saying the same thing happening. Here is one example. www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?T=5488

- Reno, NV, USA

May 012016

Freestyle

When driving down a 4 lane high way the car lost gas pedal check transmission light came on. This could have been fatal. With other vehicle speeds up to 65 mph behind my car... have had several garages look at it and still cant figure out the problem. Now a tow bill labor and other compounding exspences.

- Rexville, NY, USA

Jan 012015

Freestyle

I have 2 issues: #1. back seat passenger door child safety locks are always on. Every time I have a passenger in the back seats they are trapped, and cannot get out unless someone opens the doors from the outside or they pull up on the lock from he inside. Ive had this problem since I purchased the car, but never thought I could file a complaint until I by coincidence came across your website today. #2. the E-brake does has not worked properly either for a long period of time, over a year, which I believe is a defect. Because, every time I would engage it or disengage it, there was no tension, it felt "blank" for lack of better description, and just recently, I message on the dashboard has come up, and a bell keeps tinging, telling me the emergency brake is engaged while driving (when it is not!) and it does not matter what I try to do, I cannot make the sound or the message go away, nor does the E-brake work, ! it does not engage or disengage. This dangerous for me, and my vehicle.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jan 122016

Freestyle

I bought a 2005 Ford Freestyle last year 2015, for my daughter for her first starter vehicle. Just last night the door latches started freezing up and the door wont close and opens while driving. Apparently there is a recall for this so I called Ford. They told me the recall was taken care of in 2006. The previous owner may have had a garage to keep it protected from cold but I don't have that option. Since the repair was already done they wont take care of it and it is my problem to repair. I would thing this is a dangerous safety issue and they would want to take care of it since the first fix didn't work. My daughter is 17 and now I have to worry about the door opening while she is driving every time its cold and causing an accident or being injured herself.

- Trevor, WI, USA

Dec 242012

Freestyle

The transmission make a noise likes blending something, it doesn't change gears and after a wile doesn't acelerate.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 122015

Freestyle

Door latch is frozen closed and cannot get drivers side door to open. Dismantled entire car to fix issue.

- Billings, MT, USA

Jul 042014

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford Freestyle has began to experience acceleration problems when parking or reversing at low speeds only while the A/C is running on any fan level. Have come close to hitting a pedestrian while parking, but no serious injuries to report. Updated 3/17/2015

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 092013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased a Ford Freestyle sel 2005, on November 2005, from the Ford dealer, brand new car. I am the only driver. My transmission started to make a noise on last week. I took the car to 2 different mechanics and both told me that it needs a new transmission!!! it is a cvt transmission, very expensive and only has 130,000 miles. This is a common issue apparently, but there is not a recall or nothing!!!!

- Shorewood , IL, USA

Aug 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car jump in low speed and you have to apply the brakes, this was in direct drive or reverse.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 212010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Lunging forward or backward at low speeds when foot is not on the accelerator. Throttle body replaced once in 2010 an now it needs replacing again.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Mar 042010

Freestyle

On March 4th 2010 I was backing out of my sisters driveway when my car surged and caused me to back into her neighbors garage across the alley. Since then I have had numerous close calls from almost hitting pedestrians in cross walks to almost hitting the front of stores, or other vehicles while attempting to pull into or back out of parking spots. The car also surges at stop lights. I have started putting my car in park while idling so that I don't end up in an accident. In may of 2012 I hit a metal fence post while attempting to park my car at the local rodeo. The car is dangerous & I do not allow my daughters, who are both old enough to drive, to drive my vehicle. Ford needs to recall this dangerous malfunction before someone is seriously injured.

- Ulysses, KS, USA

May 012012

Freestyle

Vehicle lurches forward/backward at low speeds and at stop lights which could cause an accident if a person was not paying attention. Engine rpms increase accordingly even though foot is not on the accelerator. This occurs more frequently when ac is on. However, same issue occurs without ac on as well. While in park, the engine will rev up and down and sometimes quite all together and has progressively gotten worse over the last 6,000 miles.

- Bar Nunn, WY, USA

Jun 242012

Freestyle 6-cyl

As I put my car into reverse it lunged without having my foot on the gas. I put the car into drive and it lunged forward in the same manor. All of the service lights lit up on the dash and a message about emergency engine flashed and then the car shut off. This happened one other time. If someone would have been in front or behind my vehicle it would have hit them. Now my check charging system light is flashing on and off...but they have checked it and all parts seem to be in working order. I have had multiple things go wrong with this car and am getting worried that it is just going to totally stop working.

- Independence , MO, USA

Apr 072012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Pulling into a parking spot the vehicle will surge and the brakes have to be pressed really quick so U don't hit the vehicle in front of U. it seems to happen more frequently when the air is running. It will also do this when U are backing up and going at a slow rate of speed.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Nov 202011

Freestyle

Throttle body failure (see PE-11018). First incident vehicle would not start. Would turn over but not start. Then had incidences of lurching forward and also in reversed. Second failure was same as first. After third failure, contacted local mechanic who in turn contacted local dealership who advised of problems with the throttle body. Stated that, according to a service bulletin, the part could be reprogrammed but they had not had any success with this and were at that time installing the part on a customers vehicle due to unsuccessful reprogramming. Part replaced on my vehicle at a cost of $546.56.

- Mcgraw, NY, USA

Aug 162006

Freestyle 6-cyl

Chronic problem, increasing frequency, cant remember when it all started was infrequent 1-2X/year and usually on hot days, maybe when it was 1 year old. Has gradually increased in frequency happening now in spurts with no rhyme nor reason. When accelerating from a stop, or drive from reverse car will choke and stall. Seems to be worse in hot weather, but has also occurred in very cold. Check engine lights up in limp home mode but then corrects when shut engine off for awhile, but the light does not come on every time nothing shows on computer when check engine light is on either. No codes show, mechanic is certified and a family friend, he kept the car; it acted up only once and his computer said throttle body sensor - it was replaced, but the problem persists. He has done all he can but can't find the problem. In searching the internet I have seen this is a chronic problem with the Freestyle. I wont let my kids drive it for fear their lack of experience and quick thinking at the wheel could get them killed as it has happened pulling out at intersections. I found this site through the edmonds recall information site: Please institute an investigation to get a recall on whatever is going on. I love this car, it now has 225000 miles and that is the only problem, I cant afford a replacement, but I cant afford to die either.

- Williamsville, IL, USA

May 102011

Freestyle

When putting car into reverse or drive, the car will lung forward and as soon as the breaks are applied the car goes dead and the trouble light comes on. This happens a good deal of the time and is very dangerous and has nearly caused several accidents.

- Northport, AL, USA

Jan 022012

Freestyle

Vehicle appears normal first 10 minutes or so of driving, then traction control light and AWD malfunction appear. Ford diagnosed P1889 error code. Noticed all Ford recommendations for repair didn't resolve others' similar issues and that there is frequent reporting over this issue and Ford doesn't know what to do. Discovered this Freestyle has a Volvo rear and that haldex oil may need changing though they don't provide that recommendation in their maintenance manuals so it leads to these issues. When driving in snow, sometimes AWD, then error code appears and driving becomes extremely unsafe as it shifts into 2wd. Ford has changed my sensor and it still occurs. I plan to take further action to get this resolved and to make sure we are not taken advantage of. Ford should be accountable.

- Sullivan, NH, USA

May 312011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle accelerates from a parked position while shifting from P to R or D. the acceleration is greater when wheels are turned. This vehicle is in Florida so the A/C is always on.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA