2.3

2006 Ford Freestyle brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Aug 152015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle jerked and accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. The failure recurred ten times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 162,000.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Apr 282015

Freestyle

I was in a red light and had a car in front and on back. Had my foot on the brake and all of a sudden the car started plunging forward as if I was pushing the gas pedal and my foot was on the brake. It was very scary because I had my children with me and I could of hit the car in front of us. I pushed the break harder all the way down and the car stopped plunging forward, then as the light when green I pushed on the gas and the car started acting weird it just keep plunging forward as if the gas pedal was pushing itself. This is not the first time this has happened it happens while you're driving on a stop or parking or reversing. I'm very concerned because this can cause an accident especially with children in the car. I've been doing a lot of research and they're a lot of complaints about this issue.. please for the safety of people please recall this car. Is a huge and scary problem.

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

Mar 142014

Freestyle

I was driving to work and the car just stopped..it would not come back on, it would not turn over with the key, so I had to tow it home it will move 12 inches forward and backward.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 302009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle body failed twice. Had repaired because vehicle lunged and almost hit a lady at kroger grocery store. Foot was firm on brake. Very dangerous in my opinion. I'm a Ford Motor Company employee and I've heard this problem from friends at work.also engine races sometimes.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 172012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle would not slow as exit off freeway, rpms increased against braking system. Very dangerous and would not slow. Almost lost control of vehicle. Also, continues to worsen, lungin forward and in reverse.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Freestyle

So many issues with the transmission not sure where to start. Car was running fine yesterday and then today car had the wrench light on and lost power on the expressway at about 75 mph. Turned the card off and the light was still on but at least I got partial power. The car shudders and won't shift and sometimes when I push the gas pedal nothing happens. When I am stopped car will lunge forward even with my foot on the brake. Called several Ford dealerships and they said they are not certified to work on that type of trans but they will replace it for 7000.00!!!! I have read so many posts with the exact same issue. Why is there no recall"? I could have been killed!!! or worse my kids could have been hurt. Doesn't anyone care enough to do something"

- Warren, MI, USA

May 132011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford lunges. It also loses power and cuts off while trying to drive. This happens everywhere and anywhere. Even if my foot is on the brake it will lunge forward or backward it does no discriminate. This happens all the time. It's also worse when the air conditioning is on. This could potentially be a serious situation on the highways and local streets, if the car is just cutting off while driving down the road. Lunging forward/backward could become potentially serious as well. I really hope that Ford takes responsibility for these issues. Especially since they stopped making the Freestyle what 3 yrs later. It seems to me that they realized there was some kind of an issue why else would they quit making it? I have to say other than that major problem of lunging and going through rear brakes the car itself is wonderful and not my first Ford. I love Ford vehicles, unfortunately I am a little disappointed with this one. If Ford would take responsibility and fix it that would be great! I can't afford to fix it nor get another vehicle. I feel like I have a lemon on my hands.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 112012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While backing up the car lunges when foot is still on the brake. Car will occasionally lunge forward when pulling out of a parking spot or when stopped at traffic light or stop sign. Very unsafe!!!!!! must make sure my foot is on the brake hard when stopped or be ready to quickly brake when backing up. The ac is sometimes on when this happens and the temperature is in the upper 80's. we live in Colorado springs, co and 80 degree temp are pretty hot here. Lately it has been in the 90 degree + range and the issue has been happening more. My wife mostly drives this car and our teenage daughter, new drive with a permit, is learning to drive, this is not safe!!!. please put pressure on Ford to fix this safety item. Seems like may others are having the same issue. Will it take for someone to be seriously hurt or killed before this gets looked at" how many accidents major or minor has this caused? how many insurance rates have increased because of these accidents" please do something about this!!!!!!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 012007

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, she applied the brakes and the pedal was abnormally depressed into the floorboard. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer fifteen times and the contact was informed that a pin in the master cylinder was fractured. The contact was also informed that the rotors were freezing. The vehicle was repaired for the rotors and the master cylinder. In addition, the chord for the emergency brake detached and wrapped around the axle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where a new cable was installed. The contact also stated that the vehicle surged when driving at various speeds. The failure recurred whether in drive or reverse. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the throttle body needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 4,800.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jun 232012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate I71/I75 my rear brakes locked up. My brake pads were cutting into my rotors. After checking the brakes when I got back home I found that the rear brake calipers were frozen on both sides (rear left rear right). The rotors, calipers and brake pads had to be replaced. Now remember the car has only 21,900 miles on it.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My issue started almost a about a year ago. I was in a parking lot waiting for my son and had air conditioner on and we sat for about 30 min. As soon as I pushed brake in and about to put in D we lunged a couple of times and I was able to stop with brake. I tried again and we lunged again. I put in R and we bolted out of spot. Luckily no one was behind us. Finally was able to get in D and then we stalled. I've had the transmission cleaned and fluids replaced, but we have been having the same issue over this past year.the latest episode was when I finally got the car to drive and I was barely moving. I was on a busy road trying to go past 10mph. I am seeing tons of complaints about this same issue and am wondering why this hasn't been solved"???" it is obviously a defect. Why wait till someone gets killed and then sues.

- Watauga, TX, USA