2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 14 of 17)

May 152011

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle. Lunges at idle speed, often with brake pedal depressed. Vehicle has been taken to numerous repair facilities, including Ford dealerships, and none can determine the cause of the problem. Considering the number of identical complaints, when will Ford be owning up to this issue and issuing a recall to fix it at their expense? we also have a problem with the car stalling while in cruise control at speeds of 60mph or higher. Consider being on a freeway with no power steering or brakes at 60-70 mph, semi trucks and other vehicles speeding around you, and trying to get the vehicle off the roadway safely. Again, no repair facility can determine the cause.

- Windermer Drive, FL, USA

May 012011

Freestyle

Vehicle surges with no application of the accelerator. The surge seems to occur when the vehicle is in drive or reverse, with or without the brake applied, and seems to occur when the air conditioning is on although not all surges have occurred with the air-conditioning on. This problem is intermittent and seems to occur in spring, summer and fall months when the air-conditioning has been in use. This surging problem has occurred several times over the past couple of years. The most recent incident occurred when the vehicle was parked in a driveway in front of a home. The vehicle was taken out of park and placed in reverse when the vehicle surged backward to the end of the driveway. The accelerator was not applied to make the vehicle move and the air-conditioning was not on at the time of the surge although it had been used early that day.

- White City, OR, USA

May 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

On sat. May 14 my Ford Freestyle 2006 lunged forward after stopping and before putting the car into "park". on sun. May 15 my Ford Freestyle 2006 lunged forward again while at a sit still between stopping and putting the car in park!!!

- Huntington, WV, USA

Jul 312010

Freestyle

When placed in reverse or drive vehicle suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated. This happens even when driver's foot is on the brake petal and usually when A/C is on. Typically happens when the car is first started and placed into gear but will happen even if car has been running a while, stopped, and changed into a different gear.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges after putting it in gear.

- Ocklawaha, FL, USA

Apr 302011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lunges forward, or reverse, from stop or low speed, especially when air conditioner is on. I was pulling into a parking spot 2 weeks ago in a parking garage with a concrete wall in front of the car and nearly hit the wall when the car lunged forward as the air conditioner compressor cycled on. This is a big problem pulling into my garage as I have to be very careful not to run into the back wall of the garage and end up in my house. The car did not do this when newer and has been building up to much more of an issue the past several months.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

May 082011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Sunday, May 8, 2011-2006 Ford Freestyle SE was parked and running with wife in front passenger seat and daughter in child seat in the back while I was in a computer store purchasing a hard drive connector. When I returned to the car, my wife had the air conditioning on due to the temperature rising while sitting idling in the sun. I put the car in reverse to back out of my parking spot and had the brake on while coasting back, and then the car jumped...like I was pressing the gas pedal. Immediately, I depressed the brake much harder. Then the "wrench" shaped light illuminated on my dashboard but the car did not stall. I then continued to back out of the spot and then put it in drive to drive home. The wrench light stayed on and the car didn't seem to respond to the gas pedal like normal. I had the gas pedal almost fully depressed to get to 35 miles per hour. My goal was to get the limping car to my driveway about 2 miles away. Once the car was parked in my driveway, I turned it off, then immediately restarted the car. Once it restarted, the wrench light was no longer displayed and the car drove normally. The cars computer had to be "reprogrammed" at the Ford dealer three days prior because the car all of the sudden would not start. Only 34,000 miles on the car.

- Boiling Springs, PA, USA

Apr 192011

Freestyle

I have an 06 Freestyle that surges forward or backward without pressing the accelerator. This has happened numerous times especially when running the A/C. I have to make sure and stay away from other cars at a red light for instance or the car would lunge in the them. I was told it was the throttle body. Haven't been able to replace.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 102011

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle with approx. 66,500 miles on it, has problems with throttle body as diagnosed by Ford coastal in mobile, al. Before diagnosis, my Freestyle would suddenly lounge or accelerate, uncommanded, while backing up (reverse), out of parking area. Engine light and maintenance "wrench light" soon follow after these series of events. Ford coastal suggests replacing throttle body. This part is not covered by my powertrain warranty. The cost is $920 to be shouldered by the car owner.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle lunging forward when in gear, slightly hit garage door......I think a throttle body issue. Not repaired yet.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Mar 062011

Freestyle

Vehicle would accelerate, without depression of gas pedal. Lunge forward at stop lights while brake pedal was depressed. While driving, at approx. 50mph, wrench light came on and vehicle stalled. Pulled to side of road, started the car again and it worked fine...for awhile. Called dealership, and they said it could be computer system, but not sure. Will be having dealership look at vehicle to determine cause. This has been going on for over a month...just a slight increase in the beginning, but now is uncontrollable.

- Worthington , IN, USA

Jan 242011

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle that the engine surges with out pressing the gas. Also, the AWD and tc function isn't working and we are also getting instrument panel warnings for no seat belt, air bag warnings. Ford says I need to replace cvt transmission to fix.

- Buena Vista, CO, USA

Jan 212011

Freestyle

My 2006 Freestyle will intermittently accelerate when stopped or going at low speeds. This happens at redlights, carpool line, or anywhere I am idle. It happens on occasion while in reverse. I have tried some of the fuel injection cleaners and will be taking it to be looked at today after a scare at an intersection where it revved up and stalled. I have seen many post about it being the throttle body but I for one can't afford a problem that seems to be er related. It is a safety concern for me right now as I was almost hit at the intersection. This has been going on/off for a few months and at first it was so slight I did not notice. Of note, my air compressor needs to be replaced and I have read that these problems seem to going hand in hand.

- Covington, GA, USA

Jul 222009

Freestyle

Out of the blue, my car was jumping forward (or backward if in reverse) without me pushing on the gas pedal. In one instance, when stopped at a red light, the car jumped partway into the intersection which was very frightening! also had an incident stopped at a red light where car jumped forward nearly hitting the car in front of me. Also experienced some loss of power, inability to accelerate, while driving. The wrench light came on the dashboard. Took into the Ford dealership. They replaced the electronic throttle body. Part was very hard to find, and we had to pay for a rental car for a week. Initially told the part was on back order and may take a couple months!

- Elkland, PA, USA

Oct 132010

Freestyle

While idling in park with A/C on, put vehicle in reverse or drive and vehicle began to quickly accelerate without pressing the accelerator pedal. Had to quickly press the brake pedal to avoid running into people/vehicle. Even with brake pedal being applied, vehicle tends to lurch in reverse or drive. This began occasionally at around 70,000 miles but now happens continually. Ford dealer said it is a common problem on this model and is caused by a part that is on back order for months. Vehicle is unsafe to operate.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Sep 282008

Freestyle

My vehicle when in gear and foot on the brake lunges forward and backwards when in reverse, causing me to almost hit 2 pedestrians and several vehicles when I am at a complete stop. This occurs daily when my vehicle is in the drive or reverse position. I have notified the Ford dealership and they said it is the throttle body and the part is on backorder. This problem is very scary because I am afraid of hitting someone or something. This has been happening since I bought the vehicle in 2008 and I did take it back to the dealership where I bought it and they would do something to it and it would stop for awhile but would start doing it again and this has been like this for 2 years now. I cannot let my teenagers drive my vehicle because I am afraid they will not be able to stop the vehicle when it starts lunging forward again.

- Mena, AR, USA

Sep 162010

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle that lurches or surges without acceleration. I first noticed it when reversing out of parking spaces. It now occurs much more frequently. I think it may happen more when the car has been idling for a while. Last weekend the car had been idling for a while then when I backed out of the parking space and had the wheel turned as far as it would go, the car died. Then Thursday when turning around - again wheel was completely turned - car surged and then died again. I restarted it and the car did not respond well to acceleration. The RPM's went up but I could not accelerate fast at all and the car had a hard time responding. It seemed to even out after getting to 40mph, but getting there was difficult. The yellow wrench light appeared on the dash indicating a power train issue. The car continues to lunge or surge backward or forward without accelerating. It is very scary and I am very concerned I will not be able to stop the car one of these times and may hit someone or something.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 102010

Freestyle

While in idling in park with A/C on, put vehicle in reverse and vehicle began to quickly accelerate without pressing the accelerator pedal. Had to quickly press the brake pedal to avoid running into people/vehicle behind me. Even with brake pedal being applied, vehicle tends to lurch in reverse. This happens on a weekly basis. Ford dealer said it is a common problem on this model and is caused by a part that is on back order for months. Vehicle is unsafe to operate.

- La Vernia, TX, USA

Aug 182010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle lurches while being driven in reverse, even while my foot is on the brake. First noticed this occurring on a roadtrip 3 weeks ago, happened again last week. Haven't taken it to a repair shop as the occurrences have been limited, but have read some blogs indicating the same problem on other 2006 Freestyle models.

- Rochester, MI, USA

May 312010

Freestyle

Starting in may, my car would rev up and accelerate real fast when I put it into reverse. Since then, the car not only accelerates in reverse, but now does the same in drive and even in park now. I have to slam my foot on the break to keep from causing accidents all the time now. I'm constantly getting a yellow wrench on my dash after it happens, but then it just goes away like nothing ever happened. I was driving down the highway last week, and the car just shut down, it took me a mile and a half to get up to 60 miles an hour, my car chooses when to accelerate and when to slow down on it's own, and it's going to end up killin my family. If I didn't owe so much, I'd trade it in a heartbeat.

- Rockwall, TX, USA